Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Good morning, Seat 2A! And how are things up there in c o l o r f u l Colorado on this fine day? Your weather appears to be seasonably cool at the moment with just a few isolated snow showers over the higher terrain of the western slope.....

It's a bit windy today, with snow on the way tomorrow. Hopefully Friday will improve a bit because I've got a car rented to head down to Canon City, Salida and Buena Vista. Following the Rio Grande's southern route...

As to those Burbank airlines, thinking back on the early days prior to Air West brings these two to mind...

1. Bonanza
2. Pacific

And how about

3. Frontier (both pre-1987 and current)
4. Southwest

And I don't believe it's yet been mentioned...

5. Alaska

This one I'm not sure on, but in the post deregulation era I would think Northwest would have served Burbank, especially after absorbing Republic. So...

6. Northwest

BTW, during my recent layover at SEA I met a couple of Brits who were on their way to enjoy Thanksgiving with friends in Colorado. They were quite looking forward to trying out their host's pumpkin pie. I seem to recall our Thanksgiving having its roots in the old English Harvest Festivals.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 25, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think the heart of jlemon's question was carriers that USED TO OPERATE mainline jet service into BUR ... so WN and AS are off the list as they are currently running their various 737s to and from Bob Hope
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
True, however I noticed that American and Delta got credit, so....
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I don't believe AA offers **mainline** jet service to BUR today (nor does UA, for that matter), and I know DL's BUR service is under the Delta Connection banner (most if not all operated by SkyWest (OO)) ...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

14. Also in 1967, only one airline was offering international service from Corpus Christi (CRP) with a nonstop flight operated three days a week. Identify the airline, the international destination and the equipment operated on the route.

Trans-Texas (TT) was not operating any nonstop or direct service to Mexico in 1967 from Corpus Christi. It was another airline flying nonstop to Monterrey......

Ahraht then, lez go wit Mexicanna. In 1967 ah reckon the aircraft would lahkly have been a DC-6 as Corpus just don't seem large 'nuff to warrant Comet service.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
I don't believe AA offers **mainline** jet service to BUR today (nor does UA, for that matter), and I know DL's BUR service is under the Delta Connection banner (most if not all operated by SkyWest (OO)) ...
Quite true....AA, DL and UA no longer operate mainline service into Burbank.

Mesa flies as AA Eagle to PHX while SkyWest operates as DL Connection to SLC and UA Express to DEN and SFO.

I was attempting to leave regional jet service out of the mix.

BTW, my very first 50 pax Canadair CRJ flight was on SkyWest operating as DL Connection nonstop to SLC from BUR.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:22 am Reason: added DEN
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

14. Also in 1967, only one airline was offering international service from Corpus Christi (CRP) with a nonstop flight operated three days a week. Identify the airline, the international destination and the equipment operated on the route.
14. Mexicana de Aviacion is correct! Here's the sched....

MX 719: CRP 8:25p (CDT) - 8:35p (CST) MTY 9:00p - 10:55p MEX
Op: Weds., Fri. and Sun. only
Equip: DC-6
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to Burbank.....

Bonanza Air Lines - It appears Bonanza never served BUR. I'll check once again.

Pacific Air Lines - Correct! Pacific flew B727-100 service nonstop to LAS and SFO.....and they may have been the first air carrier to operate jet service into BUR, although I'm not quite sure about this.

Frontier Airlines (both the old and the new) - I do not think either the original or the reincarnated carrier ever served BUR but I'll check on this as well.

Southwest Airlines - still going strong at BUR.

Alaska Airlines - also still in operation at BUR.

Northwest Airlines - I do not think they ever served Burbank as Republic was well down the path of dismantling the old Hughes Airwest route system back when NW acquired RC. But I'll check.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
BTW, during my recent layover at SEA I met a couple of Brits who were on their way to enjoy Thanksgiving with friends in Colorado. They were quite looking forward to trying out their host's pumpkin pie.
Oh dear ... :yuk:

I seem to recall our Thanksgiving having its roots in the old English Harvest Festivals.
Sort of. Harvest Festival is dying out in Britain. I recall it as a kid in the rural area where we lived but it is completely gone in London. Principally focused around the Church, and to a lesser extent the local schools, the date is the Sunday somewhat after the Harvest Moon, which is the full moon at the autumn equinox in September. Traditionally maximum harvest time for farm crops, the full moon, hopefully with a clear sky, enabled work to continue in the fields well after sundown.

Our Church vicar actually took the advice of his farmers through the summer and decided whether it was going to be the immediate Sunday, or the one after that, because if things were late and still busy in the fields nobody really wanted to get tied up with what was really a social event of the annual calendar. Not a holiday, but there was a somewhat spectacular display inside the church on Sunday morning of apples, potatoes, cheeses (it was very much a dairy farm area), home-baked bread from the wheat harvest, flowers, etc, and afterwards the relevant items were all taken round the local elderly population by the farm labourers, who then repaired to the pub and had the sort of celebration that the vicar might normally not have approved of ! Actually our chap was OK, enjoying a thoroughly pleasant rural spot, in his time when he left college he went straight to be chaplain on a Royal Navy cruiser in WW2 that saw more than a little action, and his stories were spectacular - and best told to a fascinated audience when he had his favourite Pink Gin in hand, another dying British tradition, from naval days.

The Harvest Moon still seems to be the spectacular full moon of the year, this year it was just when we were on holiday in Majorca which I described above with views of the old Spantax Convair 990, the amphibian water bomber operating in the bay off the beach, and dining in the elevated outdoors restaurant which got dark and wonderfully moonlit as the meal progressed and it rose above the eastern sea. Little Miss WHBM got first chance to recognise the moon, and now regularly does so whenever it appears.

I'm sorry, this has VERY little to do with JL's quiz questions. Do enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 26, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
... I'm sorry, this has VERY little to do with JL's quiz questions.
nonetheless, as usual, a thoroughly entertaining account
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

The Harvest Moon still seems to be the spectacular full moon of the year, this year it was just when we were on holiday in Majorca which I described above with views of the old Spantax Convair 990, the amphibian water bomber operating in the bay off the beach, and dining in the elevated outdoors restaurant which got dark and wonderfully moonlit as the meal progressed and it rose above the eastern sea. Little Miss WHBM got first chance to recognise the moon, and now regularly does so whenever it appears.

I'm sorry, this has VERY little to do with JL's quiz questions. Do enjoy your Thanksgiving.
Well, you were able to work the Convair 990 into your narrative! And as jrl767 has observed, your comments are most welcomed and appreciated as they are what sets our little OTAQ&D apart from the pack....

And we did observe a lovely Thanksgiving here with a huge feast out in the country at Lady K's sister and brother-in-law's residence and horse ranch on 300 acres just east of LFT airport. I was fully prepared to act as a diplomatic referee between one of the family members (a sister-in-law) and several of the others and had placed our little pup Miss Bella on high alert to, if absolutely necessary, savagely attack the ankles of the perpetrator. Fortunately and thankfully, this was not required and a fine time was enjoyed by all with excellent food and drink in abundance complemented by perfect weather.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As always, please limit your answers to two or, at most, three items at a time so all may participate.

Many Thanks!

3. This all cargo airline made the following statement in a print ad: "FOR RENT: UNFURN. ROOM, 10,642 CUBIC FT., IMMED. OCCUPANCY. So why ship your freight with a passenger airline? Cargo is beneath them." Name this air cargo air carrier and identify the aircraft type keeping in mind the volume in cubic feet stated above. ANSWERED

6. Over the years, a number of airlines have operated jet service into Burbank Airport (BUR, now Bob Hope Airport) that now no longer do so. Some air carriers merged with other airlines, other airlines pulled their mainline service from BUR and a number of carriers simply went out of business. One airline that no longer operates mainline jet service into BUR is United (with UA actually operating B767-200 aircraft nonstop BUR-ORD back in the mid 1980's). I've identified at least seventeen (17) other airlines that operated jet equipment into BUR in the past but now no longer do so for whatever reason. Name as many of these air carriers as you can
. At least two (2) more airlines to be identified.

7. In 1948, Continental was operating a daily flight with Douglas DC-3 equipment from Denver to San Antonio. This flight made no less than ten (10) intermediate stops en route. Identify them all in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

11. In 1963, this U.S. air carrier billed itself as being "THE NATION'S MOST PROGRESSIVE AIRLINE". Name this air carrier. ANSWERED

15. And speaking of international service in 1967 from the U.S., only one air carrier was flying nonstop from Miami (MIA) to Cozumel (CZM) at this time. Name the airline and the aircraft. ANSWERED

19. In 1969, Western Airlines was serving nine (9) destinations in Alaska. Name them all.
ANSWERED
The remaining quiz items in my first batch are above. I will be submitting additional quiz items either later today or tomorrow morning.

As for Burbank, I have not been able to find any evidence with regard to Bonanza, Frontier (old and new) or Northwest serving the airport in the past. In the case of NW, Republic had ceased serving BUR several years before being acquired by Northwest. So here are the airlines that have been correctly identified as previously operating mainline jet equipment into Burbank along with one small start up air carrier that only flew the BAe 146:

* AirCal
* Allegiant Air
* Aloha
* American
* America West
* Continental
* Delta
* Hughes Airwest (preceded by Air West which in 1968 was operating DC9-10 service nonstop from BUR to LAS
and SAN)
* Jet America
* Pacific Southwest (PSA)
* Reno Air
* Republic
* Royal West (BAe 146 service to LAS and RNO)
* Shuttle by United followed by United Shuttle
* Skybus
* Sunworld
* Trans World (TWA)
* United
* USAir followed by US Airways
* Western

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 14, 2015 at 9:36 am Reason: forgot Reno Air! Plus, "answered" updates
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19. In 1969, Western Airlines was serving nine (9) destinations in Alaska. Name them all.
these were legacy Pacific Northern Airlines (PNA) routes ... my March 1967 PNA timetable identifies service to the following Alaska airports:
  1. Anchorage (ANC)
  2. Cordova (CDV)
  3. Homer (HOM)
  4. Juneau (JNU)
  5. Kenai (ENA)
  6. Ketchikan (KTN)
  7. King Salmon (AKN)
  8. Kodiak (NHB)
  9. Yakutat (YAK)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
these were legacy Pacific Northern Airlines (PNA) routes ... my March 1967 PNA timetable identifies service to the following Alaska airports:
  1. Anchorage (ANC)
  2. Cordova (CDV)
  3. Homer (HOM)
  4. Juneau (JNU)
  5. Kenai (ENA)
  6. Ketchikan (KTN)
  7. King Salmon (AKN)
  8. Kodiak (NHB)
  9. Yakutat (YAK)
All quite correct, of course.....although wasn't the code for Kodiak actually ADQ? Perhaps it was changed at some point.

Anyway, when Western acquired Pacific Northern back in the late 1960's, WA continued to operate the former PNA Boeing 720 and Lockheed Constellation aircraft and also introduced the Boeing 720B on some Alaskan routes. Anchorage, Ketchikan (served via the Annette Island Airport) and Juneau received 720/720B service (with the Constellation also being operated into ANC and JNU) while the rest of the above referenced destinations were served with the Constellation, including the Kodiak-Seattle nonstop route which would later be operated by a Western 720B following the retirement of the small former PNA Connie fleet.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning All!

Looks like lots of good folks are traveling today in the U.S., by air and by land. Thankfully, we are not among them but we do wish everyone safe travels! And it appears the possible ice storm in north Texas may not affect DFW, at least until our good friends connect via that airport today on their way home from LFT to TUS.

Back to the quiz....

Before we leave the 1960's and move into the 1970's, here's a bonus quiz item:

21. It's a beautiful summer morning in 1967 and you are in Pasadena, California. The phone rings and a request is made: can you attend an urgent business dinner tonight in Eureka, California? Well, of course you can! You quickly research flight options from southern California to Eureka/Arcata (ACV) and discover there are no nonstops. However, there is a direct, one stop flight departing daily at 1:10pm that will get you into ACV in plenty of time to make the dinner meeting. ANSWERED

So with this in mind, answer the following questions:

A) What airport will you be departing from?

B) What airline will you be traveling on?

C) What is the aircraft type you'll be flying on?

D) What is the location of the intermediate stop?

And now....

Quiz Items From The 1970's

22. It's 1970 and you have just checked in for a flight in first class from Montreal to Buenos Aires that departs once a week every Wednesday. Four (4) intermediate stops will be made en route. And when you ask the ticket agent what type of aircraft you'll be flying on, you're told it will be a "Spacemaster". Identify the air carrier, all four stops in the order in which they will be made and also name the aircraft. ANSWERED

23. Also in 1970, this airline was operating eight (8) flights a week from Europe to North America which they called the "Western Arrow". Depending on the day of the week, these flights served several destinations on a nonstop basis in North America. Name the airline that operated these flights and also identify the equipment. And for bonus points, identify the departure airport in Europe as well as three destinations in North America that were served nonstop by the "Western Arrow". ANSWERED

24. It's a Monday morning in 1972 in Johannesburg, South Africa and you are off to Sydney, Australia. Your first class flight will make three (3) intermediate stops en route from JNB to SYD. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, all three stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type flown on the route. ANSWERED

25. In 1974, the slogan for this Canadian airline was "Fly The Golden Jets". Name the air carrier as well as the aircraft types referred to. ANSWERED

26. Now it's 1976 and you are on a business trip in northern Canada. You need to travel from Yellowknife, NWT to Churchhill, Manitoba. At first, you assume you will have to make connections in Edmonton and Winnipeg in order to travel from YZF to YYQ. However, you then discover there is a nonstop flight that operates three days a week between the two remote destinations and it fits your schedule. Name the airline and the equipment you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

27. Also 1976, eight (8) different airports in the state of Virginia were being served with mainline jet equipment by various airlines. Identify all eight airports. ANSWERED

28. In 1977, this airline was proposing to initiate a new hub operation at Chicago Midway (MDW) with twin jet aircraft flying nonstop service to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. And this was no start up operation: the air carrier in question had been operating scheduled flights for many years and was already serving Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at the time. However, their proposed new Midway hub never got off the ground. Identify the airline and the equipment they proposed to operate from MDW.

29. Also in 1977, Western was operating "Islander Service" nonstop to Honolulu (HNL) from six (6) different airports. Three (3) different aircraft types were operated by WA on their "Islander Service" at this time. Name all six airports and identify the three aircraft types used for these flights. ANSWERED

30. In 1978, Western was serving four different airports that were all located on islands. One was Honolulu, of course. Name the other three airports. ANSWERED - ADQ, ITO & YVR

31. In 1979, three airlines were operating jet service on the short hop from New Orleans (MSY) to Baton Rouge (BTR). Name all three air carriers and also identify the respective equipment they flew on the route. ANSWERED

32. Also in 1979, Braniff International was operating Boeing 747 service nonstop from Los Angeles (LAX) to six (6) destinations. None of these flights were operated on a daily basis. Identify all six destinations. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 12, 2015 at 10:31 am Reason: fine tuning, as usual....and "answered" updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.