Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
73. Egyptair operated a one stop flight twice a week between Cairo and New York JFK. Where was the enroute stop made and what type of aircraft was used?

Somewhere in Western Europe that was favourable to 5th freedom flights on to the USA. I'll guess first at Paris. I seem to recall that Egyptair used Orly airport there long after Charles de Gaulle opened.

For aircraft, Egyptair were pioneers (like El Al) in long-haul Transatlantic flights using 767-200s, but I think these tended to be used nonstop. Paris was probably just as important (if not more so) for freight than passengers, so I guess a 747. Probably not a daily flight, just odd days per week.

Nice work closing out question 73, WHBM! Excellent detail and information as always. I'll have to get back to you regarding Orly. Not that I doubt you but rather it'll be interesting to see if MS is still using Orly in 1987. Additionally, I'm curious if it's being used (in 1987) for any other long haul flights (longer than, say, 3000 miles/4800 km).
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA
it'll be interesting to see if MS is still using Orly in 1987. Additionally, I'm curious if it's being used (in 1987) for any other long haul flights (longer than, say, 3000 miles/4800 km).
Paris Orly is still used even today for the extensive flights to Fort-de-France and Pointe-a-Pitre in the Caribbean, in a similar manner to London Gatwick being used by BA and Virgin for Caribbean flights to the adjacent islands. In 1987 these Orly flights would have been mainly Air France 747s, and there are still 747s of Corsair doing these flights today.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And it's still possible to fly between Orly and New York nonstop: OpenSkies, a subsidiary of BA, operates B757-200 aircraft on the TATL route configured with a three class business, premium economy and economy cabin. OpenSkies operates Orly-JFK and Orly-Newark.

Air France has apparently taken note of this as they will begin flying Orly-New York JFK nonstop this June with a B777-200 configured with a three class biz, premium economy and economy cabin.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Per my 1987 OAG, here is a listing of the long distance flights (over 3000 miles) that were being operated into Paris Orly:

DELTA L-1011 – Atlanta
AMERICAN 767 – Chicago
AMERICAN 767 – Dallas
SINGAPORE 747 – Dubai
PAKISTAN 747 – Dubai
CAMEROON AIRLINES 747 – Douala
AIR FRANCE 747 – Fort de France
KENYA AIRWAYS A310 – Mombasa
AMERICAN 767 – New York JFK
CONTINENTAL DC-10 – New York EWR
PAKISTAN 747 – New York JFK
EGYPTAIR 747 – New York JFK
AIR FRANCE 747 – Pointe-à-Pitre

Many other foreign airlines from Europe, North Africa, South America and Mexico also served Orly. The South American and Mexican airlines, AR & AM respectively, flew in from Madrid. South African flew in from Sal Island (2600 miles)
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:47 pm

If you visit Paris, a tourist focal point, especially in the evening, is the hilltop Sacre Coeur church at Montmartre, reached by funicular up from the Pigalle. Enjoying one of the crepes with Grand Marnier that the street vendor stalls sell, you can walk along, past the places where Amelie was shot, to the terrace that looks out southward all across the lights of Paris, to the Eiffel Tower in the distance and beyond. Out there on the horizon is Orly, from where periodically you could hear a very distant roar across the city as 747s lift off for Mauritius, Reunion, and such like, several to each per evening. I was last there a few years ago, since when 777s have replaced most of the 747s, but there are still a few of the latter around with Corsair and the like. It's one of the infinite number of pleasant recollections of the City of Light.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vi...AWo4QQGIA1M%3A

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 6, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LAST CALL!

Now I know most of you are above being involved in any way with a question even remotely associated to something as bizarre as porcupine grooming but I assure you it actually happens - at wildlife rehabilitation centers and the like. Don't know of they've ever had any contests over it but three nights at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay would be pretty nice. I know, because I went down there back in '83 on an AD75 and enjoyed exactly that. The airline was Eastern however.

In any event, I'm closing these last two questions out tonight so I'll check back at about 9 or 10 Alaska time and do just that - unless one of you beats me to it.

52. You’ve just won a porcupine grooming contest in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Awright!! Your prize: a pair of new gloves and a long weekend at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Unfortunately your prize doesn’t include airfare from your home in Alexandria, Virginia to Jamaica. Well, dang! Further complicating your travel plans is that your wife refuses to fly on Air Jamaica. It’s a long story… Imagine then your surprise and delight upon discovering an airline that flies nonstop between Washington Dulles and Montego Bay twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. The southbound flight on Thursday is operated in an all economy configuration while the northbound flight on Sunday uses a different aircraft type and offers both First Class and Coach. Identify the airline and the respective aircraft it employs on each flight.
HINT: One aircraft was a 727-100, the other a 737-200. So far as I know the 727 never was fully painted in this airline's standard livery.

70. You’ve just spent a week in Hawaii. It’s been fun but, with a week left in your vacation you’d like to go somewhere a bit less touristy. But only a bit. How about Tahiti? Consulting your trusty OAG, you discover not one, not two but THREE airlines that offer nonstop service between Honolulu and Papeete. Identify each airline and the respective aircraft it operated on this route.
HINT: All of the aircraft involved were built by the same manufacturer. One of them was a single aisle airplane.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 7, 2016 at 8:45 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:05 am

OK, hugest guesses here. It's Monday morning and I'm just rushing out of the house, no time for wordy prose.

52. You’ve just won a porcupine grooming contest in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Awright!! Your prize: a pair of new gloves and a long weekend at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Unfortunately your prize doesn’t include airfare from your home in Alexandria, Virginia to Jamaica. Well, dang! Further complicating your travel plans is that your wife refuses to fly on Air Jamaica. It’s a long story… Imagine then your surprise and delight upon discovering an airline that flies nonstop between Washington Dulles and Montego Bay twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. The southbound flight on Thursday is operated in an all economy configuration while the northbound flight on Sunday uses a different aircraft type and offers both First Class and Coach. Identify the airline and the respective aircraft it employs on each flight.
HINT: One aircraft was a 727-100, the other a 737-200. So far as I know the 727 never was fully painted in this airline's standard livery.
Copa of Panama ?

70. You’ve just spent a week in Hawaii. It’s been fun but, with a week left in your vacation you’d like to go somewhere a bit less touristy. But only a bit. How about Tahiti? Consulting your trusty OAG, you discover not one, not two but THREE airlines that offer nonstop service between Honolulu and Papeete. Identify each airline and the respective aircraft it operated on this route.
HINT: All of the aircraft involved were built by the same manufacturer. One of them was a single aisle airplane.
Who shall we say ? UTA with a DC-10, Air New Zealand, also DC-10, Hawaiian with a DC8-62.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Copa of Panama?

Hmm... an interesting pick. And why not? COPA could possibly make a bit of money on the MBJ market along the way to its decidedly less glamorous home base of Panama, especially as it was run under General Noriega.

That said however, it was a different airline operating these flights - specifically Presidential Airways. Here's the schedule:

XV 214 IAD-MBJ 9:30a - 1:00p FY 73S Sunday only
XV 200 IAD-MBJ 10:00a - 1:30p Y 727 Thursday only

XV 213 MBJ-IAD 2:00p - 5:50p FY 73S Sunday only
XV 201 MBJ-IAD 2:30p - 6:00p Y 727 Thursday only

Who shall we say? UTA with a DC-10, Air New Zealand, also DC-10, Hawaiian with a DC8-62

For a guy who's running out the door, two out of three ain't bad! For what it's worth the OAG indicates a D8S for the Hawaiian flight, so it's possible that it could have been a DC-8-63 (there was only one in the fleet) but it's more likely that it was a -62.

UT 552 HNL-PPT 1300 - 1830 D10 Y Monday only

HA 483 HNL-PPT 1410 - 1955 D8S FY Friday only

CO 041 HNL-PPT 1745 - 2315 D10 FY Saturday only

And with that we close out my latest batch of questions. I hope you enjoyed them. And now, I believe jlemon is poised and waiting at the head of the runway with a new batch of questions for your consideration. Good luck!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
If you visit Paris, a tourist focal point, especially in the evening, is the hilltop Sacre Coeur church at Montmartre, reached by funicular up from the Pigalle.....
The Sacre Coeur is indeed a magical place.....
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
And with that we close out my latest batch of questions. I hope you enjoyed them. And now, I believe jlemon is poised and waiting at the head of the runway with a new batch of questions for your consideration. Good luck!
I am now indeed applying the finishing touches to a new batch of quiz items which I shall begin to submit in a day or two.

Meantime, should anyone wish to submit a question or two (or three or four or five, etc., etc.) in the interim, please feel free to do so!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Meantime, should anyone wish to submit a question or two (or three or four or five, etc., etc.) in the interim, please feel free to do so!
I might add to any of you lurkers out there, if you're curious about a flight you might have taken years ago but don't know the schedule, the airline or the aircraft - consider asking about it here. Between the assembled cognoscenti we just might be able to help you out.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Orly

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Many other foreign airlines from Europe, North Africa, South America and Mexico also served Orly. The South American and Mexican airlines, AR & AM respectively, flew in from Madrid. South African flew in from Sal Island (2600 miles)
And let's not forget dear old Cubana de Aviacion.....although in 1983 I believe the CU operated Ilyushin Il-62 had to make a technical stop in both directions in Gander with regard to the once a week round trip flight between Havana and Paris Orly.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here We Go Again.....

Well, what the heck......let's get things rolling here with the first installment of my latest set of quiz items.

As always, please limit your responses to two or three items at a time so that all may participate. Thanks!

We'll start off in the late 1950's......

1. In 1958, this airline was operating nonstop Vickers Viscount turboprop service between Miami and Havana with multiple daily flights. Identify the air carrier. And here's a hint: this same airline was operating Viscount service at this same time in association with BOAC twice a week between Nassau and Havana via an intermediate stop. ANSWERED

And now......

Quiz Items From The 1960's.......

2. In 1960, this air carrier operated the world's first Convair 880 service. Identify the airline as well as the departure and arrival airports for this inaugural scheduled passenger flight. ANSWERED

3. It's 1961 and you are booked in first class on this airline's daily flight from Miami to Montreal which will make two intermediate stops en route. What air carrier will you be flying on and what are the two intermediate stops you'll be making en route?

4. In 1965, this airline operated the world's first Douglas DC-9-10 flight. Name the airline and the departure and arrival airports as well as the one intermediate stop made by this inaugural flight. ANSWERED

5. Referencing the above quiz item, the airline in question had named their first DC-9. What was the name given to this aircraft?

6. Fill in the blank concerning this 1966 airline ad: "_____________ jets to more California cities than any other airline." ANSWERED

7. It's the spring of 1966 and you are in New York City enjoying a leisurely breakfast with a lady friend after completing some project work as a consultant. The phone rings and what do you know: It's your old Santa Barbara sailing buddy! "So where are you this fine morning?", you ask and the answer is "Corpus Christi! I've just purchased a 55 foot catamaran and I'm going to need some help sailing it down south, through the Panama Canal and then on to Santa Barbara! Come on down!" You quickly ascertain there is a direct flight departing at 5:30pm that will get you into Corpus Christi by 11:50pm. And, of course, there are a number of intermediate stops: seven (7) to be exact. So you book two first class tickets, one for you and one for your lady friend. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the New York area airport you will depart from, the equipment and all seven stops in the order in which they will be made. ANSWERED

8. Also in 1966, this air carrier claimed it was providing the first scheduled passenger service at the new Grand Canyon National Park Airport. Name the airline. ANSWERED

9. Fill in the blank concerning this 1967 aerospace ad: " ____________orders the first Fairchild Hiller F-228s!" Also describe the F-228 to include what was unique concerning the production of the aircraft. ANSWERED

10. In 1968, two Canadian-based airlines were operating Vickers Viscount turboprop aircraft. One was Air Canada. Name the other air carrier. Hint: it was not Quebecair

11. It's the summer of 1968 and you are in Houston. You need to travel to Frankfurt, Germany on business. You ascertain there is a daily flight that makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline you'll be checking in with at Houston Hobby, the aircraft type you'll be flying on in first class and the three stops in the order in which they were made. Also, what was unique about this flight? ANSWERED

12. Fill in the blanks concerning this 1968 airline ad: "Our 8:25pm ________ Flight to New York is full of pretzels, bustles & beer. __________: The Airline Where New Things Are Happening!" Also identify the aircraft type this flight was operated with.

13. In 1968, Western Airlines operated a greater number of this aircraft type than any other in its fleet at the time. Name the airplane. And for bonus points, guess the total number of this jet type in the WA fleet at the end of 1968. ANSWERED

14. Also in 1968, how many Lockheed L-188 Electra combi passenger/freight turboprops was Western operating and what was the primary geographical region served by these aircraft? ANSWERED

15. In January of 1969, Western ordered three different aircraft types with a total of twelve (12) new airplanes being ordered. So with that knowledge, fill in the blanks concerning the specific aircraft ordered by WA: ANSWERED

Three (3) Boeing 747
Four (4) Boeing 727-200
Five (5) Boeing 707

16. It's 1969 and you are in Philadelphia. You need to get to Dallas and have discovered a flight departing at 9:25am that will get you into Love Field at 3:31pm. Five (5) intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the aircraft type and all five stops in the order in which they will be made. Hint: the airline was not AA, the equipment was not a B727-100 and this flight did not stop at DCA, BNA, MEM, LIT or OKC

17. In the spring of 1969, how many round trip flights a day was United operating with the Douglas DC-6 in its entire system? ANSWERED

18. I previously asked this question awhile back and never got a complete answer. So here we go again: In the spring of 1969, Braniff International was operating six (6) specific nonstop routes with Boeing 707-320C equipment between the mainland U.S. and the state of Hawaii. None of the flights were operated on a daily basis. One of these nonstop routes was Dallas Love Field - Honolulu. Identify the other five nonstop routes by their specific city pairs and airport codes.

Coming up in the days ahead.....

Quiz Items From The 1970's, 1980's And 1990's

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 9:40 am Reason: correction on #2 & additional info on #18 & answer updates
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to jlemon for his time and effort in putting together this fresh new set of questions. We're off to a great start!

1. In 1958, this airline was operating nonstop Vickers Viscount turboprop service between Miami and Havana with multiple daily flights. Identify the air carrier. And here's a hint: this same airline was operating Viscount service at this same time in association with BOAC twice a week between Nassau and Havana via an intermediate stop.

Well I know that BWIA flew this route and also operated a Viscount. Unfortunately, I don't believe the Viscount ever wore BWIA's "Sunjet" livery. That would've been a nice looking airplane!

8. Also in 1966, this air carrier claimed it was providing the first scheduled passenger service at the new Grand Canyon National Park Airport. Name the airline.

This is Bonanza country, so let's go with tem operating an F27 propjet.

11. It's the summer of 1968 and you are in Houston. You need to travel to Frankfurt, Germany on business. You ascertain there is a daily flight that makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline you'll be checking in with at Houston Hobby, the aircraft type you'll be flying on in first class and the three stops in the order in which they were made. Also, what was unique about this flight?

I'm thinking this may have been an early Delta/Pan Am interchange. The routing would likely have been IAH-IAD on Delta, then Pan Am IAD-LHR-FRA. As for aircraft, let's stick with the DC-8 across the board.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 7, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Quiz Items From The 1960's.......

2. In 1960, this air carrier operated the world's first Convair 880 service. Identify the airline as well as the departure and arrival airports for this inaugural scheduled passenger flight.
I'm pretty sure Delta was the first to operate the 880 ... as today, almost everything DL revolved around Atlanta, so I'll just speculate that the first trip operated ATL-->Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

6. Fill in the blank concerning this 1966 airline ad: "_____________ jets to more California cities than any other airline."
I was initially thinking PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines), but it occurred to me that this might be overkill ... so I'll limit my guess to Pacific Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.