Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
4- St Louis?
14- six?
4. & 14. Nope. Please guess again!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4: Detroit
14: Four
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4: Detroit
14: Four
4. & 14. Nope. Please guess again!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13- how about 27 720Bs in the WA fleet in 1968
A correction (due to an error on my part).......

13. jrl767 was actually correct with his guess concerning the total number of Boeing 720B aircraft being operated by Western at the end of 1968: 27

And BTW, WA was also still operating three B720 aircraft as well at this time which had been formerly flown by Pacific Northern.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. In 1965, this airline operated the world's first Douglas DC-9-10 flight. Name the airline and the departure and arrival airports as well as the one intermediate stop made by this inaugural flight.

Well I should imagine there are quite a few options out of Memphis - itself quite the lucky guess on my part. Short of filling up this thread with multiple wrong guesses via trial and error, I'll try one last wild, flailing stab at it:

Indianapolis!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. In 1965, this airline operated the world's first Douglas DC-9-10 flight. Name the airline and the departure and arrival airports as well as the one intermediate stop made by this inaugural flight.

Well I should imagine there are quite a few options out of Memphis - itself quite the lucky guess on my part. Short of filling up this thread with multiple wrong guesses via trial and error, I'll try one last wild, flailing stab at it:

Indianapolis!
4. Well....... no.

However, one might want to head northwest from MEM........
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4- not much besides Kansas City on a heading of ~315 on DL's route map
14- five?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4- not much besides Kansas City on a heading of ~315 on DL's route map
14- five?
4. Correct!

14. And correct as well!

As Boeing 737-200 aircraft replaced Lockheed L-188 propjets in Western's lower 48 states route system, the airline decided to convert eight all passenger Electras. Five were converted to combi mixed passenger/freight configuration and then assigned to duty in Alaska as previously discussed. The other three aircraft were converted to an all-cargo configuration and began flying new freighter operations in 1969. All-cargo Electra routes operated by Western included LAX-SFO-SEA-ANC, LAX-DEN-MSP and SFO-DEN-MSP. However, Electra combi flights in Alaska as well as the all cargo operation did not last very long and by 1971 Western was no longer operating the iconic L-188.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

Quiz Items From The 1960's.......

3. It's 1961 and you are booked in first class on this airline's daily flight from Miami to Montreal which will make two intermediate stops en route. What air carrier will you be flying on and what are the two intermediate stops you'll be making en route?

5. Delta named their first DC-9-10 aircraft. What was the name given to this aircraft?

10. In 1968, two Canadian-based airlines were operating Vickers Viscount turboprop aircraft. One was Air Canada. Name the other air carrier. Hint: it was not Quebecair

12. Fill in the blanks concerning this 1968 airline ad: "Our 8:25pm ________ Flight to New York is full of pretzels, bustles & beer. __________: The Airline Where New Things Are Happening!" Also identify the aircraft type this flight was operated with.

15. In January of 1969, Western ordered three different aircraft types with a total of twelve (12) new airplanes being ordered. So with that knowledge, fill in the blanks concerning the specific aircraft ordered by WA: ANSWERED

Three (3) Boeing 747
Four (4) Boeing 727-200
Five (5) Boeing 707

16. It's 1969 and you are in Philadelphia. You need to get to Dallas and have discovered a flight departing at 9:25am that will get you into Love Field at 3:31pm. Five (5) intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the aircraft type and all five stops in the order in which they will be made. Hint: the airline was not AA, the equipment was not a B727-100 and DCA, BNA, MEM, LIT and OKC were not served by this flight

18. I previously asked this question awhile back and never got a complete answer. So here we go again: In the spring of 1969, Braniff International was operating six (6) specific nonstop routes with Boeing 707-320C equipment between the mainland U.S. and the state of Hawaii. None of the flights were operated on a daily basis. One of these nonstop routes was Dallas Love Field - Honolulu. Identify the other five nonstop routes by their specific city pairs and airport codes.
The above quiz items remain on the loose and looking for answers......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 9:37 am Reason: answer update
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

19. Delta named their first Convair 880. What was the name of this aircraft?

20. In 1966, Pacific Air Lines was operating Boeing 727-100 service into eight (8) destinations in California and one (1) destination in another state. Name all nine destinations. ANSWERED
And one of the above bonus quiz items remains unanswered as well......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 5:39 pm Reason: answer update
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: BA
15. In January of 1969, Western ordered three different aircraft types with a total of twelve (12) new airplanes being ordered. So with that knowledge, fill in the blanks concerning the specific aircraft ordered by WA:
Bit of a guess for numbers here. This will have been the time to start ordering a few DC-10s, the first coming to Western a few years later. They also, finally, started building up their 727-200 fleet, the first of which came at the end of 1969 - they had continued buying new 720Bs long after others had moved on, and got the final production examples. And Western would likely top up their 737 fleet with a few more.

So what were the combinations. Absolute guess. 3 737, 4 DC-10, 5 727.

I flew with Western a few times, including my only ever 720B flight, San Francisco to Vancouver in 1974. We were delayed a couple of hours leaving SFO due to a technical snag after boarding, and as this was in the days of Western's Champagne Flights the skipper said they would break the bottles open, describing this memorably as "some adult style refreshment, folks" (this at a time when NO BA captain would ever address the passengers as other than 'Ladies and Gentlemen'). There were only about 30-40 passengers on board, with just one guy in first. The stews came round a couple of times, a party seemed to develop, and then a steward came and served more champagne - only it turned out that he was not a steward, but the (well dressed) passenger from F who had got hold of a champagne bottle, and a towel over his arm, and was not going to be left out of what was going on behind him

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 10, 2016 at 4:04 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Bit of a guess for numbers here. This will have been the time to start ordering a few DC-10s, the first coming to Western a few years later. They also, finally, started building up their 727-200 fleet, the first of which came at the end of 1969 - they had continued buying new 720Bs long after others had moved on, and got the final production examples. And Western would likely top up their 737 fleet with a few more.

So what were the combinations. Absolute guess. 3 737, 4 DC-10, 5 727.

I flew with Western a few times, including my only ever 720B flight, San Francisco to Vancouver in 1974......
15. I posed this quiz item as, quite frankly, I was surprised to learn just what aircraft types Western had entered into agreements in January of 1969 to purchase.

You are correct concerning the Boeing 727-200. However, WA ordered four of the type at this time and not five.

And the purchase agreements did not include the 737 or DC-10. Thus, we are still looking for two more aircraft here and the number of each type ordered.

So please guess again, sir!

BTW, I only had the opportunity to fly on Western once, on board a B727-200 in coach from Los Angeles to Anchorage via a stop in Salt Lake City back in 1986. It was my first trip to Alaska and there was quite a bit of confusion at the gate at LAX as the flight was supposed to be operated with a DC-10 but got switched to a 72S instead. Still, it was evident that WA ran a classy operation and I'm glad I got the chance to fly with them.

A few years went by and I found myself on board a Delta B757-200 in first one fine (and very cold) morning as the aircraft was being readied for departure from Anchorage to Salt Lake. The lady flight attendant making the announcements was absolutely elegant and had obviously been in the business for quite some time. She was one of the most professional flight attendants I've ever encountered. I spoke with her following the breakfast service and learned she had begun her career with Western. "Really?", I said. "Yes", she replied, "and it really was the only way to fly!"
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA
Thus, we are still looking for two more aircraft here and the number of each type ordered.
I'm wondering if the Five were Boeing 707s. Western had these due for delivery in 1970 (very late for 707s), but they were cancelled at a late stage, and all sold instead to the Canadian Air Force as VIP and other transports.

Didn't they order some 747s as well for their Hawaii runs, which they then changed their mind about ? Probably a good thing. Is that the three ? Boeing maybe allowed the transfer of the orders to 727s/737s.

Well before the timeline of this question, I know, but Western ordered eight BAC One-Elevens for 1965 delivery, whose construction was sufficiently advanced to assign construction numbers 021-028, before they were cancelled.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm wondering if the Five were Boeing 707s. Western had these due for delivery in 1970 (very late for 707s), but they were cancelled at a late stage, and all sold instead to the Canadian Air Force as VIP and other transports.

Didn't they order some 747s as well for their Hawaii runs, which they then changed their mind about ? Probably a good thing. Is that the three ? Boeing maybe allowed the transfer of the orders to 727s/737s.

Well before the timeline of this question, I know, but Western ordered eight BAC One-Elevens for 1965 delivery, whose construction was sufficiently advanced to assign construction numbers 021-028, before they were cancelled.
15. Correct on both, sir!

I believe the five 707s were series 347C models and the three 747s were series 100 models. Western obviously did not take delivery of the 747s but later went with the DC-10-10 instead, of course.

And it appears at least a couple of the Boeing 707-347C aircraft ordered by Western but then delivered to the Canadian Air Force eventually wound up with the U.S. Air Force as E-8C "Joint STARS" aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 9:54 am Reason: additional info
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

20. In 1966, Pacific Air Lines was operating Boeing 727-100 service into eight (8) destinations in California and one (1) destination in another state. Name all nine destinations.

This has been discussed sometime before here at the OTAQ&D. Let me see what I can remember...

Los Angeles
Santa Barbara
Monterey
San Jose
San Francisco
Eureka/Arcata
Bakersfield
Fresno
Medford

Medford and Monterey are the two I'm not sure about... but I don't recall Pacific flying into Eugene or Portland, so MFR it is. Unless it was Las Vegas... but that was Bonanza country...

BTW, with the news of the large rainfall amounts coming out of the Gulf States, here's hoping that jlemon, his extended family and friends are all high and dry.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.