FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:00 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm wondering if the Five were Boeing 707s. Western had these due for delivery in 1970 (very late for 707s), but they were cancelled at a late stage, and all sold instead to the Canadian Air Force as VIP and other transports.

Didn't they order some 747s as well for their Hawaii runs, which they then changed their mind about ? Probably a good thing. Is that the three ? Boeing maybe allowed the transfer of the orders to 727s/737s.

Well before the timeline of this question, I know, but Western ordered eight BAC One-Elevens for 1965 delivery, whose construction was sufficiently advanced to assign construction numbers 021-028, before they were cancelled.
15. Correct on both, sir!

I believe the five 707s were series 347C models and the three 747s were series 100 models. Western obviously did not take delivery of the 747s but later went with the DC-10-10 instead, of course.

And it appears at least a couple of the Boeing 707-347C aircraft ordered by Western but then delivered to the Canadian Air Force eventually wound up with the U.S. Air Force as E-8C "Joint STARS" aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 9:54 am Reason: additional info