Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way.
46. Ah, perhaps this was Florida Express (ZO) operating a BAC One-Eleven on a routing of Nassau (NAS) - Orlando (MCO) - Cincinnati (CVG) - Akron (CAK).
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way.

Ah, perhaps this was Florida Express (ZO) operating a BAC One-Eleven on a routing of Nassau (NAS) - Orlando (MCO) - Cincinnati (CVG) - Akron (CAK).

Ah... perhaps it was! Now about that routing, you're pretty close. Let's save a bit of time here and cut to the chase. Here's the routing:

Florida Express #603 ~ BAC-111

NAS-FLL 610p - 700p
FLL-MCO 725p - 830p
MCO-CAK 920p - 1150p
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are the remaining questions. Let's get these polished off now as jlemon is patiently waiting in the wings with an entirely new batch for your consideration..

Go get 'em, boys! I've got flights to catch!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1987

47. During the latter half of 1987 only one airline was operating scheduled nonstop flights between Canada and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Flights operated twice weekly from a single Canadian city, but with a different aircraft type each day. Identify the airline, the Canadian city it departed from and the two different aircraft types operated on the route.
HINT: Both aircraft were wide-bodies.
A N S W E R E D

48. Following yet another hectic commute into the city on the Long Island Expressway, you’re pleasantly surprised when you find a message on your answering machine from an old business associate asking if you can join her for a weekend of sunshine and golf at the exclusive Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. A quick call to your travel agent reveals a thrice weekly jet flight from JFK into the nearby airport at Greenbrier (LWB). Identify the airline and the aircraft used on this flight.
A N S W E R E D

52. You’ve just won a porcupine grooming contest in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Awright!! Your prize: a pair of new gloves and a long weekend at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Unfortunately your prize doesn’t include airfare from your home in Alexandria, Virginia to Jamaica. Well, dang! Further complicating your travel plans is that your wife refuses to fly on Air Jamaica. It’s a long story… Imagine then your surprise and delight upon discovering an airline that flies nonstop between Washington Dulles and Montego Bay twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. The southbound flight on Thursday is operated in an all economy configuration while the northbound flight on Sunday uses a different aircraft type and offers both First Class and Coach. Identify the airline and the respective aircraft it employs on each flight.
HINT: Both aircraft types were built in the Pacific Northwest...

70. You’ve just spent a week in Hawaii. It’s been fun but, with a week left in your vacation you’d like to go somewhere a bit less touristy. But only a bit. How about Tahiti? Consulting your trusty OAG, you discover not one, not two but THREE airlines that offer nonstop service between Honolulu and Papeete. Identify each airline and the respective aircraft it operated on this route.

73. Egyptair operated a one stop flight twice a week between Cairo and New York JFK. Where was the enroute stop made and what type of aircraft was used?

75. This airline operated an L-1011 every day except Tuesday and Thursday between Brussels and New York JFK. Which airline is it?
HINT: C'mon now - this one's a gimme!
A N S W E R E D

77. A planned ski vacation in the Catskills is rudely interrupted when you receive a call on Friday afternoon informing you that your services are required in Monrovia, Liberia. As soon as possible, please. Right. A quick call to your company travel department reveals a First Class seat is available aboard this airline’s once weekly nonstop service, departing JFK on Saturday afternoon. Identify the airline and the equipment used.
A N S W E R E D

81. If you were to fly into Orlando on a DC-8-61/63 operated by a foreign carrier, which airline would you be flying on and from which foreign airport would your flight have originated?

WHBM Bonus Question 1: What was the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew?
A N S W E R E D

WHBM Bonus question 2: What was the longest overall flight (inevitably multi-stop) the One-Eleven ever held down?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 4, 2016 at 10:38 am
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA
Let me try and consolidate this one :

WHBM Bonus Question: What was the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew?
  • Larger than a Tristar
  • Aircraft recently mentioned in this thread
  • Domestic flights with this aircraft type lasted to the mid-1990s
  • Operated multiple times a day each way
  • Not Highland Express or BA

and just to help with the geographical location of said domestic flights :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B...rojection).svg
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:25 pm

77. A planned ski vacation in the Catskills is rudely interrupted when you receive a call on Friday afternoon informing you that your services are required in Monrovia, Liberia. As soon as possible, please. Right. A quick call to your company travel department reveals a First Class seat is available aboard this airline’s once weekly nonstop service, departing JFK on Saturday afternoon. Identify the airline and the equipment used.
Air Afrique DC-10, continuing to other points in west Africa ?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

Air Afrique DC-10, continuing to other points in west Africa?

An excellent guess, especially considering Air Afrique's network through West Africa. However, in this instance it was a different airline...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:20 pm

However, in this instance it was a different airline...
OK, what about their neighbours, Nigeria Airways, continuing to Lagos, possibly stopping at Accra as well, also with a DC-10.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

77. A planned ski vacation in the Catskills is rudely interrupted when you receive a call on Friday afternoon informing you that your services are required in Monrovia, Liberia. As soon as possible, please. Right. A quick call to your company travel department reveals a First Class seat is available aboard this airline’s once weekly nonstop service, departing JFK on Saturday afternoon. Identify the airline and the equipment used.[B]

OK, what about their neighbours, Nigeria Airways, continuing to Lagos, possibly stopping at Accra as well, also with a DC-10.

Bingo! Here's the schedule:

WT 853 JFK-ROB 1630-0515 D10 Frequency: Saturday only

This flight continued on to Lagos, terminating there.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:36 am

Florida Express #603 ~ BAC-111

NAS-FLL 610p - 700p
FLL-MCO 725p - 830p
MCO-CAK 920p - 1150p
That was quite a day's little adventure for a One-Eleven late in life. Which makes me think of :

Bonus question 2 : What was the longest overall flight (inevitably multi-stop) the One-Eleven ever held down.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
That was quite a day's little adventure for a One-Eleven late in life. Which makes me think of :

Bonus question 2 : What was the longest overall flight (inevitably multi-stop) the One-Eleven ever held down.
Hmmm....I have the feeling the BAC One-Eleven service in question may have been outside of the U.S.

And obviously the NAS-FLL-MCO-CAK routing flown by Air Florida was not the longest which I calculate at 864 statute miles based on the airport-to-airport segments.

Now there were some fairly lengthy routings flown by Braniff International here in the states commencing back in the mid 1960's.

For example, one of the first routes flown by Braniff with the BAC One-Eleven was New Orleans - Shreveport - Tulsa - Kansas City - Des Moines - Minneapolis/St. Paul with a distance of 1,176 miles.

But that was not their longest One-Eleven route.

Brownsville - Corpus Christi - Houston Hobby - Dallas Love - Oklahoma City - Wichita - Kansas City - Chicago comes in at 1,482 miles.

However, this routing was not the longest, either.

The longest routing I can find flown by Braniff with the One-Eleven was San Antonio - Dallas Love - Memphis - Nashville - Washington National - New York Newark with an airport to airport segment distance of 1,631 miles.

But again, one wonders if there may have been a longer BAC One-Eleven routing, say between the U.K. and Africa.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2016 at 9:57 am Reason: correction
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

N7001U

And after a bit of a delay, N7001U got airborne this morning with a picturesque departure from Paine Field (KPAE) for a short flight over to Boeing Field (KBFI) and the Museum of Flight where a fairly large crowd awaited her arrival.

It also appears the festivities are still underway at the Museum of Flight:

http://livestream.com/museumofflight.com/events

You may get a "page not found" message. If so, simply click on "find events to watch" and then scroll down to the 727 coverage (if it's still in progress).

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BCal used to run a BAC-111 up to London from down in West Africa somewhere, I'm thinking Monrovia or Freetown. And there was a stop in the Canary Islands. I'm almost positive it also routed through Lisbon as well. We discussed this here sometime back but darned if I can find it. I suppose I could look it up in the OAG but that wouldn't be any fun and besides - I'm here in Raleigh, NC dining on seafood bisque in the Admirals Club ^ I'll be back home on Saturday night.

P.S. I'll be at an airline collectibles convention at SFO on Saturday morning. Should I be looking for anything in particular...? (Besides a model of the NASA 747-123 with the space shuttle atop it)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BCal used to run a BAC-111 up to London from down in West Africa somewhere, I'm thinking Monrovia or Freetown. And there was a stop in the Canary Islands. I'm almost positive it also routed through Lisbon as well. We discussed this here sometime back but darned if I can find it. I suppose I could look it up in the OAG but that wouldn't be any fun and besides - I'm here in Raleigh, NC dining on seafood bisque in the Admirals Club ^ I'll be back home on Saturday night.

P.S. I'll be at an airline collectibles convention at SFO on Saturday morning. Should I be looking for anything in particular...? (Besides a model of the NASA 747-123 with the space shuttle atop it)
I believe you may be correct. I think British Caledonian (BR) did operate BAC One-Eleven service on a routing of London Gatwick - Lisbon - Las Palmas - Bathurst, Gambia (now Banjul) - Freetown, Sierra Leone. I'm not sure about the distance but it was probably in excess of 3,000 miles.

And tasty seafood bisque in the Admirals Club?!? Good Lord, what is the world coming to?!? Next thing you know, AA might even introduce upscale red wine in domestic first!!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
And tasty seafood bisque in the Admirals Club?!? Good Lord, what is the world coming to?!? Next thing you know, AA might even introduce upscale red wine in domestic first!!
It's been awhile since I've flown AA domestic First - about a year in fact - but today I am on Alaska's First Class between RDU and SEA. Thankfully my AS Boardroom membership is also good in all of AA's Admirals Clubs. AA's other soup was Mushroom and Brie - a personal favorite of mine but one I chose to forego in order to try out the seafood bisque. Tomorrow I'm off to Sacramento, CA - then driving down to Fresno with dinner and maybe music in the Tower District.

Alaska's First Class wines this month are

Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Chardonnay
Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Cabernet Sauvignon

The cab ain't bad as domestic reds go. I overheard the passenger across the aisle describe the Chardonnay as "frisky".
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon and Seat 2A
I believe you may be correct. I think British Caledonian (BR) did operate BAC One-Eleven service on a routing of London Gatwick - Lisbon - Las Palmas - Bathurst, Gambia (now Banjul) - Freetown, Sierra Leone. I'm not sure about the distance but it was probably in excess of 3,000 miles
You are correct. B Cal did this lengthy run, as did predecessor British United, and it went back well into the 1950s with Viscounts, and Vikings before that. It was an extraordinarily relaxed operation, just once a week. Left London Gatwick at midday on Tuesday, stopped at Lisbon and Las Palmas. That was it for the day, everyone then went to a hotel until the following morning, when the flight continued to Bathurst, Freetown, Accra, and finally Lagos, where it arrived at 6pm on Wednesday. Thursday it set off on the return in the same manner, back into Gatwick on Friday afternoon. Total mileage was 4,363 miles.

BUA / B Cal did serve Monrovia as well, but the One-Eleven flew overhead there, and it was served by VC-10s as a tag onto the direct nonstop that B Cal flew to these points.

Article I read by an old BUA aircrew described it. The same crew stayed with the aircraft throughout. Two pilots, steward, stewardess (always one of each), and the aircraft carried an engineer to handle any issues down the line and sign the aircraft off each day. At Las Palmas the passengers and crew were accommodated in different hotels, which seemed a sensible approach, especially as the crew one, unknown to BUA management, had a nightclub, apparently installed after the original ops assessments had been made By the time they got home there was a BUA legend that the First Officer and the Stewardess would likely have had an enjoyable trip .....

The longest sectors operated by a One-Eleven were likely by Laker Airways on their holiday flights from Gatwick nonstop to Las Palmas and Tenerife. Nobody else attempted this run with One-Elevens, but Freddie Laker for years took holidaymakers in an economical way with a range of operational tactics to achieve it, starting with limiting everyone to just 15kg baggage. It's 1,809 miles to Tenerife, generally takes about 4 hours. The Spanish holiday airlines all had 4-engined aircraft to handle flights there, they had to do even longer sectors to Germany and Scandinavia. Which is why Spantax started to build up their Convair Coronado fleet as soon as they started coming on to the market. But that would be a lot more expense than a One-Eleven.

Seeing as I'm here I'll close out

WHBM Bonus Question: What was the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew?
My link to the map of the British Isles showed they mainly comprise, geographically, Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) and Ireland. And the flights in question were in Ireland, between Dublin and Shannon, Aer Lingus 747-100s, which operated this initial hop, and then carried on across the Atlantic. But the domestic leg was long extensively marketed as a sort of air experience trip, as much as anything, although those from Limerick, the city near Shannon, would also use it for a return trip to Dublin, the flights all being early morning from Shannon to Dublin, returning later in the day. The domestic fares were set low, really just to fill in seats sold onwards from Shannon, and a flight from Dublin to Shannon, coming back rather tediously by bus to Limerick and then the decidedly un-speedy train to Dublin, was a staple of all sorts of social groups, from the pub, from the church (this is Ireland, so the same people were likely members of both !). I've met a number of people in Ireland whose first ever flight as children was on the Aer Lingus 747 to Shannon, and the transatlantic passengers must have got a bit fed up with the "kid's holiday club" atmosphere. But it only lasted 35 minutes, during which a plastic cup of coffee and a biscuit was served to all. The 747s ran to the mid-1990s, when they were replaced by the current Airbus A330s.

Did we mention these aircraft a few days ago ? Yes we did, when one of them had been leased out for the winter months.

I have a postcard of a 747 wearing a hybrid Aer Lingus/Air Jamaica livery

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 3, 2016 at 4:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.