Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
49- among US carriers this would have to be Republic/Northwest, at whichever stage of the consolidation it was at this point in 1987; Phoenix is about the only destination on their route map that makes sense ... that posited, however, I'm now thinking this operator was more likely from south of the border -- perhaps Aero California, to La Paz

51- let's move CO to Dulles, and toss American into the mix there as well ... which leaves our list with a BWI vacancy that might have been filled by ... Piedmont?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
WHBM bonus q, last three-crew domestic British Isles flight: how about a BA TriStar, MAN-LHR
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
49. If you wanted to fly out of Bakersfield, California aboard a McDonnell-Douglas DC-9-10, only one airline fits the bill with a single daily flight. Identify that airline and the city you’d be flying to.

Among US carriers this would have to be Republic/Northwest, at whichever stage of the consolidation it was at this point in 1987; Phoenix is about the only destination on their route map that makes sense ... that posited, however, I'm now thinking this operator was more likely from south of the border -- perhaps Aero California, to La Paz

Bakersfield to La Paz service? C'mon now J, tell me true... Have you been drinking?!

No, it wasn't RC/NW, nor was it Aero California. I'll give you a hint - the flight out of Bakersfield was greater than 500 miles in length.

51. Five airlines operate mainline jet service between Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP) and the three Washington DC area airports. Three airlines serve Washington Dulles (IAD), one serves Washington National (DCA) and one serves Baltimore (BWI). Identify each airline and the airport it serves.

Let's move CO to Dulles, and toss American into the mix there as well ... which leaves our list with a BWI vacancy that might have been filled by ... Piedmont?

Mission accomplished. Well done ^^
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Bakersfield to La Paz service? C'mon now J, tell me true... Have you been drinking?!
yes, but nothing worth publicizing ... and starting taxes, so I believe I have a good excuse

well, I thought CO had parked their baby 9s by this time, but maybe they still had 'em on a few stray low-volume routes to/from DEN
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA
WHBM bonus q, last three-crew domestic British Isles flight: how about a BA TriStar, MAN-LHR
Sorry, jrl, the only time the BA Tristars, or indeed any of their widebody fleet that needed flight engineers, were used on domestic flights was before the Belfast service was converted to the no-reservations Shuttle concept in 1977.

Anyway, the service I refer to had bigger aircraft than a Tristar.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 29, 2016 at 12:47 am Reason: Better wording
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
... the only time the BA Tristars, or indeed any of their widebody fleet, were used on domestic flights was before the Belfast service was converted to the no-reservations Shuttle concept in 1977. ...
interesting ... mid- to late July, the schedule shows BA running a 763 on the first morning EDI-LHR section ...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:45 am

interesting ... mid- to late July, the schedule shows BA running a 763 on the first morning EDI-LHR section ...
Yes, sorry, I wasn't precise enough, I meant the only one of the widebody fleet WITH FE's.

I've been on the 767 to Edinburgh a few times myself, it's come and gone over the years since the late lamented Shuttle was given up. Always a pleasant improvement on a full A320.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:36 am

63. Three airlines each operate a single daily flight between Boston and London. Each flight is operated with a different widebodied jetliner, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify each airline and the respective widebody it flew.
I'm wondering if this was the period when Northwest had a shot at a range of European destinations from Boston ? If so, they possibly used a DC-10, and diluted the traffic for TWA who might downsize from the longstanding 747 to a Tristar. BA probably hung in there with a 747. Northwest would have to serve Gatwick, the others Heathrow.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
49. If you wanted to fly out of Bakersfield, California aboard a McDonnell-Douglas DC-9-10, only one airline fits the bill with a single daily flight. Identify that airline and the city you’d be flying to.

Well, I thought CO had parked their baby 9s by this time, but maybe they still had 'em on a few stray low-volume routes to/from DEN

Tenacity. I like it! Way to hang in there on this one, J! CO it is.

CO 1772 BFL-DEN 300p - 610p DC9 S Daily
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
63. Three airlines each operate a single daily flight between Boston and London. Each flight is operated with a different widebodied jetliner, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify each airline and the respective widebody it flew.

I'm wondering if this was the period when Northwest had a shot at a range of European destinations from Boston? If so, they possibly used a DC-10, and diluted the traffic for TWA who might downsize from the longstanding 747 to a Tristar. BA probably hung in there with a 747. Northwest would have to serve Gatwick, the others Heathrow.

The author of the OAG couldn't have deduced it better. Correct on all counts! Here's the skeds...

TW 754 BOS-LHR 1910 - 0620 L10 Daily

NW 048 BOS-LHR 2000 - 0710 D10 Daily

BA 214 BOS-LHR 2100 - 0810 747 Daily
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WHBM Bonus Question: What was the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew?

Larger than a Tristar in 1987. Recently mentioned in this thread. Hmm...

Gee Chumley, how did I miss this? Let's go with Highland Express' doddering old 747-100 offering once weekly scheduled flights between Prestwick and Birmingham

VY 212 PIK-BHX 0700 - 0815 747 Saturday only

VY 211 BHX-PIK 1115 - 1230 747 Sunday only

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 29, 2016 at 11:27 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining questions. Let's get these polished off now as jlemon is patiently waiting in the wings with an entirely new batch for your consideration..

Go get 'em, boys!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1987

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way

47. During the latter half of 1987 only one airline was operating scheduled nonstop flights between Canada and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Flights operated twice weekly from a single Canadian city, but with a different aircraft type each day. Identify the airline, the Canadian city it departed from and the two different aircraft types operated on the route.

48. Following yet another hectic commute into the city on the Long Island Expressway, you’re pleasantly surprised when you find a message on your answering machine from an old business associate asking if you can join her for a weekend of sunshine and golf at the exclusive Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. A quick call to your travel agent reveals a thrice weekly jet flight from JFK into the nearby airport at Greenbrier (LWB). Identify the airline and the aircraft used on this flight.

52. You’ve just won a porcupine grooming contest in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Awright!! Your prize: a pair of new gloves and a long weekend at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Unfortunately your prize doesn’t include airfare from your home in Alexandria, Virginia to Jamaica. Well, dang! Further complicating your travel plans is that your wife refuses to fly on Air Jamaica. It’s a long story… Imagine then your surprise and delight upon discovering an airline that flies nonstop between Washington Dulles and Montego Bay twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. The southbound flight on Thursday is operated in an all economy configuration while the northbound flight on Sunday uses a different aircraft type and offers both First Class and Coach. Identify the airline and the respective aircraft it employs on each flight.

55. Fresh off a snowy week of work in Edmonton, Alberta, you’ve been informed that your next assignment lies south of the border – two borders, in fact – way down yonder in sunny Monterrey, Mexico. Fully expecting a convoluted itinerary involving multiple connections, you’re flabbergasted when your travel department informs you that there’s a direct flight making three enroute stops from Edmonton all the way down to Monterrey. Additionally there’s a change of equipment at the first stop, from a smaller aircraft to a larger one. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the two aircraft to be flown along the way.
A N S W E R E D

70. You’ve just spent a week in Hawaii. It’s been fun but, with a week left in your vacation you’d like to go somewhere a bit less touristy. But only a bit. How about Tahiti? Consulting your trusty OAG, you discover not one, not two but THREE airlines that offer nonstop service between Honolulu and Papeete. Identify each airline and the respective aircraft it operated on this route.

73. Egyptair operated a one stop flight twice a week between Cairo and New York JFK. Where was the enroute stop made and what type of aircraft was used?

75. This airline operated an L-1011 every day except Tuesday and Thursday between Brussels and New York JFK. Which airline is it?

77. A planned ski vacation in the Catskills is rudely interrupted when you receive a call on Friday afternoon informing you that your services are required in Monrovia, Liberia. As soon as possible, please. Right. A quick call to your company travel department reveals a First Class seat is available aboard this airline’s once weekly nonstop service, departing JFK on Saturday afternoon. Identify the airline and the equipment used.

81. If you were to fly into Orlando on a DC-8-61/63 operated by a foreign carrier, which airline would you be flying on and from which foreign airport would your flight have originated?

WHBM Bonus Question: What was the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew ?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
This thread contains an unbelievable wealth of information. You guys are the best.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

55. Fresh off a snowy week of work in Edmonton, Alberta, you’ve been informed that your next assignment lies south of the border – two borders, in fact – way down yonder in sunny Monterrey, Mexico. Fully expecting a convoluted itinerary involving multiple connections, you’re flabbergasted when your travel department informs you that there’s a direct flight making three enroute stops from Edmonton all the way down to Monterrey. Additionally there’s a change of equipment at the first stop, from a smaller aircraft to a larger one. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the two aircraft to be flown along the way.
55. I've been pondering this one for awhile now and my answer will also include a question....

This may have been Continental operating a routing of Edmonton (YXD) - Calgary (YYC) - Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Houston (IAH) - Monterrey (MTY).

The equipment out of Edmonton may have been a B737-200 with a change to a B727-100 at Calgary with this aircraft then continuing on to DFW, IAH and MTY.

However, note the airport code I used for Edmonton: YXD (and not YEG) which was the former location of the now closed Edmonton City Centre Airport (formerly known as Edmonton Industrial Airport).

So my question is this: was Continental really operating the YXD-YYC leg with a 73S or did CO make a deal with Canadian (CP) to fly this leg with one of their 73S aircraft and then use a CO flight number denoting a through service from Edmonton to Texas and Mexico?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:23 am

WHBM Bonus Question: What was the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew?[/b]

Larger than a Tristar in 1987. Recently mentioned in this thread. Hmm...

Gee Chumley, how did I miss this? Let's go with Highland Express' doddering old 747-100 offering once weekly scheduled flights between Prestwick and Birmingham

VY 212 PIK-BHX 0700 - 0815 747 Saturday only

VY 211 BHX-PIK 1115 - 1230 747 Sunday only
Nice try, S2A, but I wouldn't expect any domestic legs to be offered for sale. Among other things, on the eastbound, half the passengers would get off to clear customs at Prestwick, the other half would stay on board and clear at Birmingham. And this flight only lasted for months, whereas the one the question concerns was long established, and lasted with Flight Engineers well into the mid-1990s. Multiple times a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.