FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:01 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

55. Fresh off a snowy week of work in Edmonton, Alberta, you’ve been informed that your next assignment lies south of the border – two borders, in fact – way down yonder in sunny Monterrey, Mexico. Fully expecting a convoluted itinerary involving multiple connections, you’re flabbergasted when your travel department informs you that there’s a direct flight making three enroute stops from Edmonton all the way down to Monterrey. Additionally there’s a change of equipment at the first stop, from a smaller aircraft to a larger one. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the two aircraft to be flown along the way.
55. I've been pondering this one for awhile now and my answer will also include a question....

This may have been Continental operating a routing of Edmonton (YXD) - Calgary (YYC) - Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Houston (IAH) - Monterrey (MTY).

The equipment out of Edmonton may have been a B737-200 with a change to a B727-100 at Calgary with this aircraft then continuing on to DFW, IAH and MTY.

However, note the airport code I used for Edmonton: YXD (and not YEG) which was the former location of the now closed Edmonton City Centre Airport (formerly known as Edmonton Industrial Airport).

So my question is this: was Continental really operating the YXD-YYC leg with a 73S or did CO make a deal with Canadian (CP) to fly this leg with one of their 73S aircraft and then use a CO flight number denoting a through service from Edmonton to Texas and Mexico?