Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
20. In 1966, Pacific Air Lines was operating Boeing 727-100 service into eight (8) destinations in California and one (1) destination in another state. Name all nine destinations.

This has been discussed sometime before here at the OTAQ&D. Let me see what I can remember...

Los Angeles Correct!
Santa Barbara Correct!
Monterey Correct!
San Jose Correct!
San Francisco Correct!
Eureka/Arcata Guess again!
Bakersfield Correct!
Fresno Correct!
Medford Guess again!

Medford and Monterey are the two I'm not sure about... but I don't recall Pacific flying into Eugene or Portland, so MFR it is. Unless it was Las Vegas... but that was Bonanza country...
20. An excellent start! And BTW, Las Vegas was Pacific Air Lines country at one point with nonstop B727-100 service from Burbank....but not in 1966.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
20- I thought I posted my answer to this from 3A on a Delta A330 waiting to depart LAX-JFK last night, but apparently technology failed me

I was wrong on a few, but had included Burbank as the eighth CA destination; for the out-of-state destination, I was going to say LAS but since that has been eliminated I will posit Reno

15- (and peripherally related to 14) -- WA operated at least one of the 707-347Cs (N1503W) in Combi configuration on the LAX-SFO-SEA-ANC route; I flew on it LAX-SFO in Dec 77 and SFO-SEA in Nov 78

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 10, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

BTW, with the news of the large rainfall amounts coming out of the Gulf States, here's hoping that jlemon, his extended family and friends are all high and dry.
Yes, there has been some significant precipitation in Louisiana, especially in northern portions of the state where nearly two feet of rain has fallen leading to widespread flooding.

The very slow moving low pressure storm system responsible for this inclement weather just started affecting the Lafayette-New Iberia area in southern Louisiana this morning and we have had some very heavy rain today accompanied by lightning, thunder and high winds.....but so far, so good.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 5:41 pm Reason: precip update in bold
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
20- I thought I posted my answer to this from 3A on a Delta A330 waiting to depart LAX-JFK last night, but apparently technology failed me

I was wrong on a few, but had included Burbank as the eighth CA destination; for the out-of-state destination, I was going to say LAS but since that has been eliminated I will posit Reno
20. Reno is correct!

So we are looking for just one more destination in California served by Pacific with the B727-100 in 1966......and it was not Burbank or Eureka/Arcata.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
20. Reno is correct!

So we are looking for just one more destination in California served by Pacific with the B727-100 in 1966......and it was not Burbank or Eureka/Arcata.
Let's go with the state capitol - Sacramento...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA
I'm wondering if the Five were Boeing 707s. Western had these due for delivery in 1970 (very late for 707s)
OK, here's a bonus question. You would have thought that no US airline would have taken delivery of new 707s/DC8s a year after they got the first of their 747 fleet. But one actually did so. Who was that ?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, here's a bonus question. You would have thought that no US airline would have taken delivery of new 707s/DC8s a year after they got the first of their 747 fleet. But one actually did so. Who was that ?
Could this possibly have been a US supplemental carrier such as World Airways?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's go with the state capitol - Sacramento...
20. A very good guess. However, to the best of my knowledge, Pacific Air Lines never operated the 727 into Sacramento.

I will say this, though.....you are not too far off the mark here (if you know what I mean).......
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
20. A very good guess. However, to the best of my knowledge, Pacific Air Lines never operated the 727 into Sacramento.

I will say this, though.....you are not too far off the mark here (if you know what I mean).......
I'm having one of those moments as depicted in the "I could've had a V8" ads.

Lake Tahoe (TVL)!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm having one of those moments as depicted in the "I could've had a V8" ads.

Lake Tahoe (TVL)!
20. Correct! Pacific pioneered jet service into TVL with the 727 (which may have resulted in a jet ban for a number of years at Lake Tahoe once the airline ceased jet ops at the airport and went back to the F-27 for its service into this interesting airfield located just south of the largest lake in the Sierra Nevada mountains).

And, of course, this engenders a bonus quiz item:

22. A 1966 Pacific Air Lines route map depicted nonstop jet service operated with the 727 from Lake Tahoe to three destinations. Name all three.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:03 am

Could this possibly have been a US supplemental carrier such as World Airways?
No, it's a mainstream carrier. And by the by, World got their first 747 in 1973, two years after their last new DC8-63 in 1971.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmm... a mainstream carrier. Could this have been a hint? Might it have been one of TWA's Starstream 707s?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:23 pm

Hmm... a mainstream carrier. Could this have been a hint? Might it have been one of TWA's Starstream 707s?
Correct. TWA's first 747 came at the end of 1969, but they got a final two 707s in 1970, aircraft N794TW being the final new "classic" 4-holer for a US carrier in August of that year. They lasted less than 10 years in service before the noise regulations caught up with them, but were eventually sold to the Israel Air Force, with whom they both apparently are still in the air today, as air tankers.

Last of an era, here she is

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans...2e4aa62b143a4a

Second bonus : Another year later, and another major international carrier was still buying all-passenger 707s well after they got their first 747s. Who, and why ?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Second bonus : Another year later, and another major international carrier was still buying all-passenger 707s well after they got their first 747s. Who, and why?

I know that a number of Middle Eastern carriers took delivery of 707s into the early 1970s. I'm not sure any of them would qualify as "major" carriers though. CAAC also took a few late 707s - again, hardly a major international carrier back then.

I look forward to responses from those more knowledgeable on this subject than I...

But what the heck - if I were to hazard a guess, let's go with Lufthansa whose subsidiary Condor operated 707s well into the 70s.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:45 am

CAAC ... Condor.
No I wouldn't call those majors either. But this one was. Hint - they were REQUIRED to use a 707, and had to buy these new ones for performance reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.