Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by jlemon

The original Frontier Airlines with B737-200 service to DEN.
Correct. Also service to Kansas City. Some flights had stops in other cities, like Salina or Topeka.

Also correct in that KLM and Air France flew IAH-MEX.

Correct answers mean new questions! That's why impossible questions aren't so good unless the answer is eventually revealed.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You wouldn't be referring to these two, would you?
Just in case the answers were missed a couple posts back:

1.) Why did Braniff International have to discontinue the use of Lavender colored paint on one of its 720s?

The reason Braniff had to repaint its lavender colored 720 was because that color is considered bad luck in Mexico, a primary market for BN 720s at the time.

3.) What color were the tablecloths and napkins in Ozark's short lived First Class?

Ozark's First Class table linens were at one time yellow with green napkins.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Okay, I have a follow-up question to posts 323 and 336 as I mentioned earlier, when Seat 2A mentioned South Pacific Island Airways. Here's a bit of background followed by a question:

South Pacific Island Airways operated in the mid-1970s and early 1980s from their base in Samoa. The airline has gone bankrupt and has long gone from service. What unique route did SPIA fly back then and what aircraft did they use for the route?

Hint: the route was long haul, in a north-south direction and crossed the equator....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
When I was in Tahiti back in 1981, I could have flown SPIA out of there but instead got excited for some reason about my First Class seat on UTA's new 747. Well, the UTA flight was average at best, and while I don't know what SPIA's First Class service would have been like (I was on an ID-90) I sure did like their routing:

Papeete - Pago Pago - Honolulu
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a few more questions:

1.) Back in 1978, what airline offered scheduled nonstop DC-8-51 service from Ft. Lauderdale to Las Vegas?

2.) What year did American Airlines start using its current red, white & blue stripe on silver livery?

3.) What airline flew 737-200s from Los Angeles to Des Moines via Colorado Springs?

4.) What airline had a smiley face (not just a smile) on the noses of its jetliners?

5.) What airline’s 727s had big clouds painted on their fuselages?

6.) What four U.S. airlines have operated 737-100s

7.) One of this airline’s jets was painted in a bright yellow advertisement for FOX TV and The Simpsons

8.) Back in the late 1950s, what two airlines flew 707s between Florida and the Northeast?

9.) When Braniff took delivery of its new 707-227s, what did it nickname them?

10.) What was PSA’s nickname for its L-1011?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
When I was in Tahiti back in 1981, I could have flown SPIA out of there but instead got excited for some reason about my First Class seat on UTA's new 747. Well, the UTA flight was average at best, and while I don't know what SPIA's First Class service would have been like (I was on an ID-90) I sure did like their routing:

Papeete - Pago Pago - Honolulu
That's a great history of your travels to/from PPT. I do remember the SPIA route you brought up. SPIA had another unique route that was more north-south. Can you think of what that might be?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Papeete's been quite a hub for me over the years, having flown in there from LAX, ISP, RAR, AKL, BOB, RFP & MOZ. I'm still regretting that I didn't take advantage of that SPIA 707 when I could have. As for SPIA's other unique route that you speak of, I'll have to defer to our other more knowledgeable brethren for that answer.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: All of them!
8). Northeast leased a 707 from TWA
National leased a 707 from Pan Am
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8.) Back in the late 1950s, what two airlines flew 707s between Florida and the Northeast?

Originally Posted by cs57
8). Northeast leased a 707 from TWA
National leased a 707 from Pan Am
Right on, cs57! So far as I know, neither airline operated those 707s in their own liveries. When it came to jet transport up and down the Eastern Seabord through 1962, Douglas DC-8s from Eastern and National dominated with the occasional Convair 880/990 from Northeast and 720 from Eastern also seen.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
People Express, Continental, America West and, and ... dunno

7.) One of this airline’s jets was painted in a bright yellow advertisement for FOX TV and The Simpsons
Western Pacific and ****** hideous it was too

Mother Grunningbird
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
People Express, Continental, America West and, and ... dunno Air Florida I have postcards of an Air Florida 707, 727-100, 727-200, 737-100, 737-200, DC-10 and Electra. Quite the fleet diversity for what started as a Florida intra-state airline. They did indeed grow though, eventually expandinig their route system all the way to Europe.

Western Pacific and ****** hideous it was too.
Fans of the Simpsons were reportedly ecstatic. Western Pacific's planes were known as the Flying Billboards.
Mother Grinningbird
That's the one. Those downstairs lounges were sweet!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA
I've just seen this thread and got - well pretty much all the first batch.

So maybe I'll toss in a few of my own. The 1960s can be a good start.

1) US former airline whose name was made up of THREE other contemporary airline names of the time.

2) Modern Air’s Convair 990s could be seen very regularly at the Spanish airport of Palma. Where had they departed from.

3) In the 1960s-1970s Pan Am’s 727s operated in three continents. Where were their bases in each.

4) Which 1960s major US scheduled airline had a corporate headquarters in one major US metropolitan area, and a fleet maintenance base in a second such major area, but never had any route licenses in or from the USA.

5) Where did Pan Am’s DC8s operate to?

6) Which 1960s US airline style adviser now lives in retirement in Mustique in the Caribbean ?

7) Name two US trunk airlines who sold their DC8s and went over to the 707, and then one that went the other way.

8) Unusual characteristic of the 5.00 pm United departure from New York to Chicago.

9) Apart from Northeast (which still had quite an operation with them), which US trunk scheduled carrier was still operating DC3s in 1966 on scheduled flights. And which route ?

10) Four US major airlines had their principal maintenance base at the same airport. Which airport and which airlines ?

11) Which US airlines bought the Vickers Viscount new ?

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 5, 2012 at 4:45 am Reason: I changed #9 because I had somehow overlooked Northeast. Sorry if that was your answer !
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good questions! Let me have a stab at four of them...

3) In the 1960s-1970s Pan Am’s 727s operated in three continents. Where were their bases in each.

Pan Am operated alot of 727s around the Caribbean, so I'm thinking Miami.
The European operations were, I believe, out of Berlin (Tempelhof?)
Three continents, huh... Asia? Tokyo?

8) Unusual characteristic of the 5.00 pm United departure from New York to Chicago.
This was United's Executive Express Flight - For men only.

9) Which US trunk scheduled carrier was still operating DC3s in 1966 on scheduled flights. And which route ?
Was Northeast considered a U.S. Trunk carrier? If so, something out of Boston to New England. Sorry, that's far from exact, I know...

11) Which US airlines bought the Vickers Viscount new ?
Northeast, Capital and Continental, Aloha
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:22 pm

Here's a few more questions:

2.) What year did American Airlines start using its current red, white & blue stripe on silver livery?
Massimo Vignelli of Unimark International designed the current AA logo in 1967. He and the firm also designed all of the corporate identity, including the current aircraft livery. I'd guess the stripe livery got implemented circa 1968.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Good questions! Let me have a stab at four of them...

Pan Am operated alot of 727s around the Caribbean, so I'm thinking Miami.
The European operations were, I believe, out of Berlin (Tempelhof?)
Three continents, huh... Asia? Tokyo?
a
Pan Am flew out of TXL, not Tempelhof. Those were the days. British Airways, Air France, and Pan Am to Berlin. Not Lufthansa. Lufthansa was banned from Berlin. KLM was not a US, UK, or French airline so they flew to Schonefeld or East Berlin. Interflug, which is German, was also banned from Berlin but they violated the rule and had an East Berlin main base.

Pan Am's European hub was Frankfurt, not TXL.

If they operated out of 3 continents, I would guess:
North America: JFK
Europe: FRA

I don't know about the 3rd base, though. They did fly Geneva-Istanbul, very odd. Tokyo was a hub but 727's? Miami was a 727 base to the Caribbean, Central, and South America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.