Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
7) HP, YEG to LAS: I'll guess twice a day -- 737-200 -- always stopped in YYC to pick up pax, but not allowed to carry any YEG-YYC.

9) YYC-LAX: DL and AC, both with 727-200

4) part of question missing, but guessing your devious mind, I'll say EUG-Medford (MFR) -- US using the BAC-146. Of course there are about 7 other possible non-stop destinations, so if I'm right, I should get extra credit.

Now back to the game!
7) Yep, it was RW! And we are still looking for the number of departures!

9) AC is correct with two daily round trip B727-200 flights YYC-LAX. However, DL was not flying nonstop between YYC and LAX at this time so it was another airline.

BTW, Delta did operate nonstop YYC-LAX at one point with a 72S. I flew on this flight in F one morning and on departure out of YYC in IMC we were hit by lightning!

4) My apologies! I initially left out LAX. And you are correct! It was USAir flying BAe 146-200 aircraft that had been previously operated by PSA before US acquired PS.

And as for the LSU-Bama game.....what a heartbreaker in the final 51 seconds!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
6) EWR/LAX--12/89--
ALSO-- UA 11 5:50pm/8:44pm 74L
(was not wearing glasses)! thanks for the hint!
6) Correct! UA flew two D8S nonstops from EWR to LAX and the third nonstop flight was operated with a B747SP which United most likely inherited from PA when they acquired Pan Am's Pacific division for a mere $750 million, I believe.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 4, 2012 at 8:51 am
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
3) SUN/LAX-- America West using 733 SAT only
3) Correct! This seasonal flight was operated during the winter ski season. I believe America West (HP) also operated seasonal B737-300 service nonstop between SUN and PHX at one point.

America West was one of only two air carriers to operate jet service into Sun Valley. The other airline was Horizon Air with Fokker F.28 Fellowship service from SFO and I also think from SEA. Horizon Air still serves SUN with the Q400 turboprop. I believe Horizon Air is still flying nonstop LAX-SUN with a Q400 but this service may be seasonal as well.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for taking the time to put together this nice set of questions, jlemon! I'll be home later this afternoon and look forward to adding a few more to the mix. Since you mention 85° in Louisiana, I couldn't help but check out the forecast back home...

Tonight: Cloudy with isolated snow showers. Lows zero to 10 below. Light winds.

Tough loss for the Tigers last night. Quite the story with Bobby Hebert's early exit...

1) Name the only airline that operated jet equipment into Walla Walla, WA (ALW) and identify the aircraft type.

It's Cascade with a BAC One-Eleven. I remember looking at the schedules back in the mid-eighties and wanting to fly this flight. I ended up flying a Horizon DC-9-10 into Pasco instead.

3) Name the only airline that operated jet equipment nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Sun Valley, ID (SUN) and identify the aircraft type.

I'm thinking Horizon flew this route with a Fokker F-28. Funny, I was just chatting with a Horizon Flight Attendant about those F-28s the other day. What a nice little jet, especially for regional flights.

I was writing this up as J was posting his answer above, so I stand corrected. America West - well I'll be ~

Additionally, I did a two hour flight aboard a Horizon Q400 the other day - PDX-OAK into a strong headwind. Bring back the jets on this route, please!

10) What airline was operating nonstop jet service between Calgary (YYC) and Great Falls, MT (GTF) at this time? Also identify the equipment.

I've flown nonstop between GTF and YYC back in 1976, when Western was the only way to fly - on that route at least. Still, let's continue with Western as the Delta merger was still three years away. The aircraft? A 737-247.

11) There was only one airline flying nonstop between Long Beach, CA (LGB) and Denver (DEN) at this time. Name the carrier and identify the aircraft type flown on the route.

I've also flown this route nonstop, but it was two years later in 1985. Still, let's stick with the airline and aircraft I flew then - a United 737-222.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 4, 2012 at 9:24 am
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
7) Yep, it was RW! And we are still looking for the number of departures!
After royally messing this one up (LSU's fault), let me start over -- RW had 3 flights a day from YEG to LAS; all 3 stopped in YYC; two were non-stop YYC-LAS with 727-200s; the third, a DC-9 made an additional stop in Spokane (GEG). I flew that GEG-YYC connection a few times on bargain flights MSY-DEN-GEG-YYC.

8) AC is correct with two daily round trip B727-200 flights YYC-LAX. However, DL was not flying nonstop between YYC and LAX at this time so it was another airline.
OK, how about Western, once a day with a 727-200.

5) Daily TWA nonstops STL-LAX in 12/89: I count five using the MD-80, five using the L-1011, one with a Boeing 767, and one 727-200 for a total of twelve.

6) Daily UA nonstops EWR-LAX in 12/89: Two with a DC-10; one with a 767.

9) CO was operating DC-9s from DEN-CPR in early 1983.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for taking the time to put together this nice set of questions, jlemon! I'll be home later this afternoon and look forward to adding a few more to the mix. Since you mention 85° in Louisiana, I couldn't help but check out the forecast back home...

Tonight: Cloudy with isolated snow showers. Lows zero to 10 below. Light winds.

Tough loss for the Tigers last night. Quite the story with Bobby Hebert's early exit...

1) Name the only airline that operated jet equipment into Walla Walla, WA (ALW) and identify the aircraft type.

It's Cascade with a BAC One-Eleven. I remember looking at the schedules back in the mid-eighties and wanting to fly this flight. I ended up flying a Horizon DC-9-10 into Pasco instead.

3) Name the only airline that operated jet equipment nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Sun Valley, ID (SUN) and identify the aircraft type.

I'm thinking Horizon flew this route with a Fokker F-28. Funny, I was just chatting with a Horizon Flight Attendant about those F-28s the other day. What a nice little jet, especially for regional flights.

I was writing this up as J was posting his answer above, so I stand corrected. America West - well I'll be ~

Additionally, I did a two hour flight aboard a Horizon Q400 the other day - PDX-OAK into a strong headwind. Bring back the jets on this route, please!

10) What airline was operating nonstop jet service between Calgary (YYC) and Great Falls, MT (GTF) at this time? Also identify the equipment.

I've flown nonstop between GTF and YYC back in 1976, when Western was the only way to fly - on that route at least. Still, let's continue with Western as the Delta merger was still three years away. The aircraft? A 737-247.

11) There was only one airline flying nonstop between Long Beach, CA (LGB) and Denver (DEN) at this time. Name the carrier and identify the aircraft type flown on the route.

I've also flown this route nonstop, but it was two years later in 1985. Still, let's stick with the airline and aircraft I flew then - a United 737-222.
1) Cascade Airways (CZ) is correct with BAC One-Eleven service into Walla Walla, WA! And I think this may have had something to do with the fact that Cascade's primary maintenance base was located at ALW at the time.....there were two BAC One-Eleven round trip flights every weekday on a routing of ALW-PSC-SEA. CZ was also operating three different turboprop types at this time including the Hawker Siddeley HS 748, Beechcraft 1900C and Fairchild Swearingen Metroliner.

10) Western is correct; however, WA was operating another aircraft type YYC-GTF with two round trips per day.......so let's see what miniliq came up with....

11) United is correct; however, the equipment type was quite a bit larger.....so please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm Reason: Additional CZ info for ALW service
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After royally messing this one up (LSU's fault), let me start over -- RW had 3 flights a day from YEG to LAS; all 3 stopped in YYC; two were non-stop YYC-LAS with 727-200s; the third, a DC-9 made an additional stop in Spokane (GEG). I flew that GEG-YYC connection a few times on bargain flights MSY-DEN-GEG-YYC.

OK, how about Western, once a day with a 727-200.

5) Daily TWA nonstops STL-LAX in 12/89: I count five using the MD-80, five using the L-1011, one with a Boeing 767, and one 727-200 for a total of twelve.

6) Daily UA nonstops EWR-LAX in 12/89: Two with a DC-10; one with a 767.

9) CO was operating DC-9s from DEN-CPR in early 1983.
7) Hughes Airwest was operating five (5) daily departures from Edmonton Intl. (YEG) at this time with a mix of B727-200, DC-9-30 and DC-9-10 aircraft. All of these flights stopped in Calgary (YYC) before taking off for various destinations in the U.S. including LAX......no local traffic was carried between YEG and YYC, of course, but I believe stopover traffic was permitted.

8) And with the above answer for 7), I've just answered this quiz item as well: besides Air Canada with two 72S nonstop flights a day YYC-LAX, Hughes Airwest also flew nonstop service on the route with a daily DC-9-10 flight. Routing was YEG-YYC-LAX......

10) How about Western twice a day with B727-200 aircraft? Both these WA flights also served SLC as well.....and there may have been other destinations served besides the core SLC-GTF-YYC routing.

5) See above post #1835 from cs57! And to clarify, this was from STL to LAX.

6) See above posts from cs57 as well as my post #1847! And to clarify, this was from EWR to LAX.

9) Correct! This was back when Continental had a hub operation in DEN. And I'm willing to bet the DC-9-10 flown by CO DEN-CPR was formerly operated by Texas International (TI)......

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's yet another bonus question....

16) Back in the mid to late 1960's, Pacific Air Lines introduced the first ever scheduled jet service into four (4) California cities with new Boeing 727-100 aircraft. Identify all four cities.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And here's yet another bonus question....

16) Back in the mid to late 1960's, Pacific Air Lines introduced the first ever scheduled jet service into four (4) California cities with new Boeing 727-100 aircraft. Identify all four cities.
Let's go with Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno and Monterey...

BTW, although I was on a 737-200 when I flew UA on the DEN-LGB run, if we're talking a couple of years earlier, let's go with a 727-100 instead.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Let's go with Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno and Monterey...

BTW, although I was on a 737-200 when I flew UA on the DEN-LGB run, if we're talking a couple of years earlier, let's go with a 727-100 instead.
11) UA LGB-DEN service: think larger equipment still! And remember the time line here: it was July of 1983......

16) Well, if one considers "first ever jet service" regardless of the aircraft type (which is what I meant), I think that LAX and SFO may have seen B707, DC-8 and CV-880 service before the Boeing 727 ever made its appearance.....

Anyway, Fresno (FAT) and Monterey (MRY) are correct! And that leaves two other destinations in California where Pacific's 727 flights were the "first ever jet service"....
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have not searched this thread. i am an oldtimer, and may not live long enough to read all 124 pages, so i may be asking an already posted answer:sorry.
i flew on an empty (zero other passengers) i think, dc9 or 737, i think from mia, fll, or pbi to dca. on the stbd side of plane, the first row faced to the rear of the plane. the second row was a table. third row faced fwd. probably air florida, but could have been any other econo company. was probably christmas or newyears day, as i was returning form sorc race. this was with the prior wife, so was at least 40 years ago. anyone remember a plane with that front row faceing aft, and a table?

Last edited by slawecki; Nov 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
16) Well, if one considers "first ever jet service" regardless of the aircraft type (which is what I meant), I think that LAX and SFO may have seen B707, DC-8 and CV-880 service before the Boeing 727 ever made its appearance.....

Anyway, Fresno (FAT) and Monterey (MRY) are correct! And that leaves two other destinations in California where Pacific's 727 flights were the "first ever jet service"....
By 4/68, PC also had 727 service into SJC (to Reno), and ACV (Eureka) (to SFO and LAX).
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:15 pm

11) UA LGB-DEN service: think larger equipment still! And remember the time line here: it was July of 1983......
How about a United 767?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By 4/68, PC also had 727 service into SJC (to Reno), and ACV (Eureka) (to SFO and LAX).
Yep! All quite true....but one of the first routes undertaken by Pacific Air Lines with the B727-100 back in 1966 was:

San Francisco (SFO) - Monterey (MRY) - Santa Barbara (SBA) - Los Angeles (LAX) with three daily round trips flown.

It appears that Fresno (FAT) and Eureka/Arcata (ACV) came a bit later. Typical routing was LAX-FAT-SFO-ACV.

BTW, Pacific also flew the 727 BUR-LAS, FAT-LAS and LAX-FAT-RNO.

So the four California cities I was looking for are:

Eureka/Arcata
Fresno
Monterey
Santa Barbara

Also BTW, Air West was operating B727-100 service SBA-SFO with an ex-Pacific aircraft shortly after Pacific merged with Bonanza and West Coast to form Air West......

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 4, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a United 767?
Correct! Here are the schedules from Long Beach (LGB) to Denver (DEN):

UA 694 Depart LGB 7:25am Arrive DEN 10:28am B767-200 Daily Nonstop

UA 488 Depart LGB 4:00pm Arrive DEN 7:00pm B767-200 Daily Nonstop

And I cannot think of another carrier that ever operated scheduled B767 service from Long Beach.....or any other wide body service from LGB for that matter......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.