Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
emphasis added in quote
Originally Posted by jlemon
Time to close out ...
42. Here are the Air BC and Air Wisconsin scheds...

AC* 1821: Vancouver (YVR) 12:15p - 4:10p Denver (DEN)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: BAe 146-200
Note: AC* 1821 operated by Air BC (ZX)

Connecting to....

UA* 5584: Denver (DEN) 7:15p - 10:35p Milwaukee (MKE)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: BAe 146-200
Note: UA* 5584 operated by Air Wisconsin (ZW)
having participated enthusiastically in the Quiz for 10+ years, I am at a loss to recall *ANY* prior question where the correct answer required names of the specific codeshare partners as the actual operators unless *specifically* identified in the phrasing of the question
  • from Post 28995: "319s, Air Canada ... followed by United"; response in Post 28996: "Incorrect"
  • I won't dispute your right, as of the originator of the question, to decide whether to declare a guess correct, but it would be nice if you as the originator would share any unusual or unfamiliar criteria for that decision
once again, I apologize if I ever offended you with the tone or content of any of my prior posts, but this thread *IS* supposed to include a "Discussion" element ... you have a long history of providing interesting context in many of your responses, but absent additional information, recent cryptic and dismissive replies have made it *REALLY* difficult to engage in further downline discussions or guesses

safe and enjoyable travels
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

having participated enthusiastically in the Quiz for 10+ years, I am at a loss to recall *ANY* prior question where the correct answer required names of the specific codeshare partners ....
Please take a close look at this photo....

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/648435/C-FBAB

The name on the airplane is Air BC. It is not Air Canada.

You guessed Air Canada and United operating mainline equipment. That's incorrect.

Both Air BC and Air Wisconsin operated the flights in question via their own respective AOCs.

Thus, the flights in question were not operated by AC and UA.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
how did they appear in the OAG? apparently they both carried the mainline code

pic of an Air BC 146 that says "Air Canada Connector"

and I'm pretty sure the ZW jets all wore UA colors and titles like this and this

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 16, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Ah, this is becoming tedious....

And it just may be time to employ the ignore function concerning your posts.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. In 1971, two airlines were operating a joint service involving a through flight three days a week between Jamaica and Miami with one intermediate stop being made en route. And at this stop, flight crews from one of the air carriers were replaced with flight crews from the other airline with the same aircraft operating no change of plane service on the route. However, this wasn't a typical interchange service as the equipment was provided by just one of the air carriers in question 100% of the time. So with all this in mind, identify the airport this service used in Jamaica as well as both airlines, the intermediate stop where the flight crews were changed and the aircraft type. Plus, also identify which air carrier provided the equipment with your answer.
QUESTION WITHDRAWN

4. In 1972, this South American air carrier was serving several domestic destinations in its home country with a twin engine jet aircraft type that was specifically designed to operate into unimproved airports with unpaved gravel runways. The equipment in question was a version of an existing type with this airplane featuring components from several other existing models. Identify this aircraft type by its specific model number and also name the South American airline that operated it.
ANSWERED - Please see post # 29024

5. Now it's 1973 and you are in Kingston, Jamaica. You are on your way to Barbados on a flight which will make one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
QUESTION WITHDRAWN

The next two quiz questions both have a time line of 1979.....

11. From Casper, Wyoming you need to travel to Birmingham, Alabama. And you need to arrive into BHM in time to prepare for an early business dinner. You'll be traveling with two airlines with the same aircraft type being on operated on each flight. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make two stops en route. Name both air carriers, the connection airport, the two stops made by the second flight and the aircraft type.
QUESTION WITHDRAWN

12. According to the OAG, this small, obscure airline was operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Key West (EYW) at this time with three different equipment types including the Douglas DC-3, the Convair 440 and the Boeing 737. And none of these flights were indicated in the OAG as code sharing services. They were all operated by the same specific air carrier on an independent basis. Name this airline.
ANSWERED - Please see post # 29027

14. It's 1985. You are in Geneva and are planning to depart to Albuquerque. Uh oh.....the Swissair 747-300 nonstop from GVA to JFK is completely sold out! And you've also discovered there is no nonstop service offered from any New York City area airport to ABQ. So you are going to have to be creative with your itinerary. Ah, here's a solution! You will have to make two connections. Your journey will involve two air carriers with the first airline operating two nonstop flights and the second airline operating a direct one stop flight. Different aircraft types will be operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier operating the first two flights as well as the first connection airport along with the second connection airport and the second airline with your answer including the stop made by this flight. And, of course, name all three aircraft types.
ANSWERED - Please see post # 29027

19. By 1986, Virgin Atlantic Airways had doubled the size of their 747 fleet. And that meant the airline was now operating two 747 aircraft instead of just one. What were the names for these airplanes given by the airline? And for extra special bonus points, identify the specific 747 model Virgin Atlantic was operating at this time.
QUESTION WITHDRAWN

21. It's 1988. You've successfully concluded the deal for a sailboat in Green Bay, Wisconsin and are now in the process of delivering the vessel to her new owner who is located in Duluth, Minnesota. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara and his crew are on board assisting you with the delivery. The weather has been great, sailing conditions on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron have been optimal and all is well. However, while transiting the Soo Locks on the international border waterway between Sault St. Marie, Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, you receive an urgent message requesting your presence for a crucial business meeting in Seattle as soon as possible. So how to get to SEA? Well, you know there are two commercially served airports in the area with each being located on either side of the border in this part of the world.....and you quickly ascertain that your journey will require two nonstop flights operated by different airlines with each operating a different aircraft type built by different manufacturers. Plus, depending on the day of the week, the second flight is actually operated with two different aircraft types built by the same manufacturer. So identify the specific airport you will depart from on your first flight, both air carriers, the connection airport and the different equipment types operated on each flight. And also be sure to include the two different aircraft types operated on the second flight with your answer.
QUESTION WITHDRAWN
And the unanswered questions above have now been withdrawn for possible resubmission in the future.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 20, 2024 at 10:23 am Reason: answer updates & remaining unanswered questions withdrawn
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
how did they appear in the OAG? apparently they both carried the mainline code

pic of an Air BC 146 that says "Air Canada Connector"

and I'm pretty sure the ZW jets all wore UA colors and titles like this and this
I'm not sure if this is a general statement covering all ZW operations, or if it's relevant only to UA codeshares operated by ZW.

But I think we all recall ZW operating its own flights with equipment wearing the ZW brand, such as Grand Island - Lincoln - Chicago with the BAC-111...
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. In 1972, this South American air carrier was serving several domestic destinations in its home country with a twin engine jet aircraft type that was specifically designed to operate into unimproved airports with unpaved gravel runways. The equipment in question was a version of an existing type with this airplane featuring components from several other existing models. Identify this aircraft type by its specific model number and also name the South American airline that operated it.

This one has had me thinking a bit... In 1972, the only 737 variant was the -200, while the 727 was limited to the -100, -200 and the -100QC. That's not very many variants, and your question states that the aircraft involved features "components from several other existing models." Well, in 1972 the only twinjet with "several other existing models" would've been the BAC-111. Beyond that, however, I'm clueless as to which airline might be involved. Let's start with Austral, which operated 111s in and around Argentina.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm not sure if this is a general statement covering all ZW operations, or if it's relevant only to UA codeshares operated by ZW.

But I think we all recall ZW operating its own flights with equipment wearing the ZW brand, such as Grand Island - Lincoln - Chicago with the BAC-111...
Yep, and they were competing directly with United between Lincoln and Chicago O'Hare with the BAC One-Eleven...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/67611

Air Wisconsin also operated the BAe 146-200 in their own livery....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-...-200/2396547/L

They remain an independent aviation company to this day with their own AOC and still have the "ZW" two letter code.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one has had me thinking a bit... In 1972, the only 737 variant was the -200, while the 727 was limited to the -100, -200 and the -100QC. That's not very many variants, and your question states that the aircraft involved features "components from several other existing models." Well, in 1972 the only twinjet with "several other existing models" would've been the BAC-111. Beyond that, however, I'm clueless as to which airline might be involved. Let's start with Austral, which operated 111s in and around Argentina.
4. Well, sir, I think you are well on the way to solving this one! The aircraft was indeed a BAC One-Eleven and we are still looking for the three numbers that designated this specific model (as in BAC One Eleven series ____ ).

British Aircraft Corporation used the series 400 fuselage and the series 500 wing and engines as well as rough field landing gear and body protection to create this model. It has been reported that only between six and ten examples of this specific BAC One-Eleven model were built so it did not sell very well.

However, the airline in question is not Austral and we are looking for another country in South America as well.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. Well, sir, I think you are well on the way to solving this one! The aircraft was indeed a BAC One-Eleven and we are still looking for the three numbers that designated this specific model (as in BAC One Eleven series ____ ).

British Aircraft Corporation used the series 400 fuselage and the series 500 wing and engines as well as rough field landing gear and body protection to create this model. It has been reported that only between six and ten examples of this specific BAC One-Eleven model were built so it did not sell very well.

However, the airline in question is not Austral and we are looking for another country in South America as well.

Please guess again, sir!
Hmm... well, there were a couple 111 operators in Brazil. Let's go with Trans-Brazil's colorful example
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... well, there were a couple 111 operators in Brazil. Let's go with Trans-Brazil's colorful example
4. TransBrasil indeed operated the stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500 variant which the airline marketed as the "Super Jet 500"....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Tran...even/1075892/L

However, we are looking for a One-Eleven model that featured the shorter series 400 fuselage....and the air carrier that operated the airplane in question was not based in Brazil.

So one might want to look over towards the west coast of South America.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: BA
Can I just step back in ? It's been a long (but very fruitful) time since last here.

I think you are talking about the BAC One-Eleven 475 operated by Faucett of Peru, to some challenging upcountry fields. They were sold a new one in I think 1982, then took the prototype when BAC found they were going to sell hardly any. It did have the shorter fuselage of the 400 series, plus the beefed-up wings and engines of the 500 series. Faucett even later again took a 500 series aircraft for some more mainstream routes. The fleet came back to the UK in the late 1980s and got used by some bargain basement operators here, I nearly went on an office skiing trip to the Alps on what turned out to be a charter by the one aircraft Med Express managed to get going again. Here's a bit about them :

A Brief History Of Mediterranean Express – Jet Back In Time
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome back WHBM ! 🛫😎

it’s good to hear from you
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Can I just step back in ? It's been a long (but very fruitful) time since last here.

I think you are talking about the BAC One-Eleven 475 operated by Faucett of Peru, to some challenging upcountry fields. They were sold a new one in I think 1982, then took the prototype when BAC found they were going to sell hardly any. It did have the shorter fuselage of the 400 series, plus the beefed-up wings and engines of the 500 series. Faucett even later again took a 500 series aircraft for some more mainstream routes. The fleet came back to the UK in the late 1980s and got used by some bargain basement operators here, I nearly went on an office skiing trip to the Alps on what turned out to be a charter by the one aircraft Med Express managed to get going again. Here's a bit about them :

A Brief History Of Mediterranean Express – Jet Back In Time
4. Hello WHBM! Great to hear from you and welcome back! And, of course, you are correct, sir!

Here's a photo of a BAC One-Eleven series 475 operated by Compania de Aviacion Faucett in Peru....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Fauc...even/2695729/L

Prior to delivery to Faucett, this very same aircraft was exhibited by BAC at the Paris Air Show back in 1971. Here it is at Le Bourget with a British registration....

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/452719/G-AYUW

Some time ago you were kind enough to provide a link to a very interesting website concerning the One-Eleven and the various air carriers around the world that operated the airplane. According to this website, Faucett operated a total of four One-Elevens, including two series 475 aircraft and two series 500 aircraft.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome back, WHBM! It's great to see you back, and with the correct answer no less!
jrl767 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.