Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think Nordair was there first with jets, but not by much. Both were serving there by 1971, when both only had a small handful of the 737 each. Boeing developed a special gravel runway kit for the 737 for these northern operations, which deflected stones thrown up by the nosewheel from chancing to go into the engines.
I believe Nordair was first as well into Resolute with the 737. And I also had the opportunity many years ago to inspect the gravel deflection methods employed on an Alaska Airlines B737-200 including a close look at the vortex dissipator tubes slung under each engine. This was back when I was working for Era Aviation and was up in Alaska on assignment. More on this interesting system here:

Unpaved Strip Kit

But what was happening at the Resolute Bay Airport back in early 1976? Time to consult my old battered OAG. Here are the inbound scheds to YRB as operated by Nordair, Pacific Western and Transair in February of 1976:

ND 703: Montreal Dorval (YUL) 9:45a - 12:45p Frobisher Bay (YFB) 1:30p - 2:50p Resolute (YRB)
Freq: Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Equip: B737-200
Class of service: Y
Meal service: Lunch YUL-YFB, Snack YFB-YRB

PW 581: Calgary (YYC) 9:45a - 10:20a Edmonton Intl. (YEG) 10:50a - 12:35p Yellowknife (YZF) 1:05p - 4:15p Resolute (YRB)
Freq: Tuesdays and Fridays only
Equip: B727-100
Service class: Y
Meal service: Lunch YEG-YZF

TZ 785: Winnipeg (YWG) 8:30p - 10:15p Churchill (YYQ) 10:45p - 1:40a Resolute (YRB)
Freq: Mondays only
Equip: B737-200
Service class: Y
Meal service: Dinner YWG-YYQ

I continue to believe that Resolute was the northernmost location in Canada ever to have received scheduled passenger jet service.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And just in case you did not notice this at the bottom of the above unpaved strip kit article, here's some old footage filmed by Boeing in 1972 when they were conducting landing and takeoff tests with a 737 at the Hope Regional Airpark which is an unpaved, 4,500 foot airstrip in British Columbia normally used by light aircraft and gliders. The narration by the Boeing folks is interesting as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

13. It used to be that Boeing 707s were a common sight across the azure blue waters of the Caribbean. By 1986 however, just one airline still flies the venerable 707 between the U.S. and a Caribbean destination. The flight departs New York’s JFK each Saturday morning at 9:00am, flying nonstop to its destination. Identify the airline and the Caribbean destination served.
13. Well, at first I was tempted to respond with Guyana Airways operating a 707 between JFK and Georgetown (GEO). However, Guyana is not technically located in the Caribbean - it's in South America. So let's try one of those interesting air carriers that was based in the D.R. being Hispaniola Airways with the destination being Puerto Plata (POP).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Alright then - no more new questions. These are all that're left...

. It’s 1988 and you live in Boca Raton, Florida. One afternoon you come across an ad in your Sunday newspaper’s Travel Section for an airline offering great fares and nonstop flights five times weekly between nearby Ft. Lauderdale and Antigua. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon from Ft. Lauderdale to Antigua.
HINT: The aircraft was built by Boeing and this airline also offered a couple of flights out of New York

2. In the "Good Old Days" United used to operate nonstop DC-8 Jet Mainliner service between Los Angeles and Milwaukee. In early 1986 however, nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Milwaukee are nonexistent. United’s one-stopper through Denver is sold out, so you’ve booked yourself on a two stop flight aboard one of the new crop of airlines that sprung up after deregulation eight years ago. It departs LA at 11:30 am and arrives Milwaukee with plenty of time for dinner with your cousins. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.
HINT: On second thought, no hint. You guys are too smart to not have a good idea of this one

4. Back in the good old days, if you wanted to get from Indianapolis to Ft. Myers, Florida you just called Eastern and hopped on a "Whisperliner" via Atlanta. All of the flights offered First Class back then, too. Now in 1998 there's a local Indianapolis based airline but they are an all-economy class operation. How gauche! Thankfully one airline flies nonstop from Indy to Ft. Myers that still offers First Class. You call them and book a First Class seat on the afternoon departure. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

5. In 1981 this U.S. airline’s complete time table shows a total of 28 flights, all of them operating in one direction or another between just two cities with one jet aircraft type. Identify the airline and the equipment it operates.

6. Surf’s up in the Bahamas (or whatever approximates surf down there) and you’re ready to get out of dreary Pittsburgh for a bit of late winter sun and surf. It’s early 1986 and so far as you know there’s never been a nonstop or even direct flight between Pittsburgh and Nassau. Well there is now in the form of a 2-stop direct flight (with a change of gauge) and it even offers First Class. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.
A N S W E R E D

7. A thorough perusal of the 1973 North American OAG revealed just three airlines that operated the Hawker Siddeley 748. Which ones were they?
LIAT and AeroMexico have been identified
C'mon, you guys - surely you must have a strong suspicion on this

9. You just got a call from an old college roommate to ask if you could make it out to the Grand Opening celebration of his new guitar shop San Francisco. Well sure, why not?! When is it? Saturday evening at 6:00pm. Right on! A quick check of the March 1988 schedules reveals two airlines offering nonstop service from Kansas City to SFO, one of which offers First Class, the other only coach. You quickly book a First Class seat to San Francisco departing on Saturday morning. Identify the airline as well as the aircraft type to be flown.
It's not Eastern

10. You live in Montreal and want to take your family to Disney World sometime in early 1986. Although Miami and Tampa have always been well served with nonstop flights from Montreal, Orlando has not. Thank goodness your travel agent managed to book you all in First Class on a direct one-stop flight to Orlando. Unfortunately, it departs from way out at Mirabel International Airport. Surely you know the drill by now: Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

12. A trip down to your local travel agency has rewarded you with the most recently expired OAG from early 1986. As you excitedly peruse the pages, you are surprised to discover that it’s still possible to fly aboard a Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle – departing from a U.S. airport no less. Identify the airline, origin and destination of this rare Caravelle flight.
A N S W E R E D

13. It used to be that Boeing 707s were a common sight across the azure blue waters of the Caribbean. By 1986 however, just one airline still flies the venerable 707 between the U.S. and a Caribbean destination. The flight departs New York’s JFK each Saturday morning at 9:00am, flying nonstop to its destination. Identify the airline and the Caribbean destination served.
HINT: The airline was named after the island it flew to/from

14. It’s early 1986 and you’re ready for some fun in Las Vegas. Although you usually fly out of Detroit aboard one of the major airlines, this time you’ve booked yourself a direct one stop flight to Vegas aboard an airline that you’ve never heard of. As an added bonus, you’ve splurged and booked a seat in First Class. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
It's not Sun Country. Nor is a DC-10 involved.

16. Remember back in 1986 when you were planning to drive from your home outside Sacramento to have lunch with your sister in San Francisco, but given the morning traffic and the paucity of parking spaces, you decided to fly instead? Best of all, instead of the usual single aisle jet or prop, you managed to book yourself a seat aboard an honest to God widebody aircraft. That was a great flight for such a short route. Identify the airline and aircraft you flew upon.
A N S W E R E D

19. Awright now, here’s your challenge: It’s 1998. You live in Montreal, Quebec and you want to fly to Los Angeles, California with all of the flights being aboard 4-engine jets. The problem is there just aren’t all that many 4-engine jets left flying around these big broad countries we live in. Even so, you’ve found a routing utilizing two airlines involving a single connection, although you will have to overnight at the connecting point. The flight to the connecting city has one enroute stop. Can you figure out the airlines, aircraft and the routing? I’m pretty sure it is the only way to fly all 4 engine jets between Montreal and LA.
HINT: The enroute stops are in North America. No 747s or A340s are involved. First Class is available on one of the airlines...

20. It’s 1986 and you need to travel from The Motor City (DTW) to The Crescent City (MSY) for the annual Jazz Fest. One airline offers a great fare with a one-stop direct service. Alas, it is the only airline amongst the various options that doesn’t offer First Class, but the price is right. Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

Bonus Trivia Question: What is the combined mileage of all of the taxiways and runways at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 15, 2018 at 7:10 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

Well, at first I was tempted to respond with Guyana Airways operating a 707 between JFK and Georgetown (GEO). However, Guyana is not technically located in the Caribbean - it's in South America. So let's try one of those interesting air carriers that was based in the D.R. being Hispaniola Airways with the destination being Puerto Plata (POP).

An excellent guess, JL, Hispaniola Airways flew all kinds of older second (or even third or fourth) hand equipment - the 707, 720 and DC-8 to name just three. In a different year, it might well have been the answer to this question. In 1986 however, we're looking for a different airline - one named for its destination island. I should imagine you and Kate have probably sailed there at some point. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. Surf’s up in the Bahamas (or whatever approximates surf down there) and you’re ready to get out of dreary Pittsburgh for a bit of late winter sun and surf. It’s early 1986 and so far as you know there’s never been a nonstop or even direct flight between Pittsburgh and Nassau. Well there is now in the form of a 2-stop direct flight (with a change of gauge) and it even offers First Class. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.
6. I keep thinking this is something that Pan Am would come up with in light of the change of gauge. So let's go with PA operating a B727-200 from Pittsburgh to New York JFK via Philadelphia and then an A300 from JFK nonstop to Nassau.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA
6. Surf’s up in the Bahamas (or whatever approximates surf down there) and you’re ready to get out of dreary Pittsburgh for a bit of late winter sun and surf. It’s early 1986 and so far as you know there’s never been a nonstop or even direct flight between Pittsburgh and Nassau. Well there is now in the form of a 2-stop direct flight (with a change of gauge) and it even offers First Class. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops
OK, I'll challenge JL and go for Eastern. I think that traditionally they were the main carrier that would serve both Pittsburgh and Nassau. Pittsburgh-Atlanta-Miami on a 727S. Miami-Nassau on an A300.
20. It’s 1986 and you need to travel from The Motor City (DTW) to The Crescent City (MSY) for the annual Jazz Fest. One airline offers a great fare with a one-stop direct service. Alas, it is the only airline amongst the various options that doesn’t offer First Class, but the price is right. Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
Now the NO Jazz Festival is in Spring (who says the Geeks here only know about airline schedules). And in Spring 1986 Republic still hadn't morphed into a bit of Northwest. So let's think of a Republic DC9 running Detroit-Memphis-New Orleans.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE]6. Surf’s up in the Bahamas (or whatever approximates surf down there) and you’re ready to get out of dreary Pittsburgh for a bit of late winter sun and surf. It’s early 1986 and so far as you know there’s never been a nonstop or even direct flight between Pittsburgh and Nassau. Well there is now in the form of a 2-stop direct flight (with a change of gauge) and it even offers First Class. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.

Per jlemon: I keep thinking this is something that Pan Am would come up with in light of the change of gauge. So let's go with PA operating a B727-200 from Pittsburgh to New York JFK via Philadelphia and then an A300 from JFK nonstop to Nassau.

Per WHBM: OK, I'll challenge JL and go for Eastern. I think that traditionally they were the main carrier that would serve both Pittsburgh and Nassau. Pittsburgh-Atlanta-Miami on a 727S. Miami-Nassau on an A300.

When it comes to Caribbean services in days of old, I've always identified service out of Pittsburgh with Eastern. That's why I was so shocked to see that the airline of choice here in 1986 was indeed Pan Am. Here's the schedule:

Pan Am PA 205 Pittsburgh (PIT) 630a-729a Philadelphia (PHL) 755a-845a New York (JFK) Boeing 727-200
XXXXXXXXXXX New York (JFK) 920a-1210p Nassau (NAS) Airbus Airbus A300
Operates Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

Now the NO Jazz Festival is in Spring (who says the Geeks here only know about airline schedules). And in Spring 1986 Republic still hadn't morphed into a bit of Northwest. So let's think of a Republic DC9 running Detroit-Memphis-New Orleans.

Republic would indeed seem a likely choice - especially out of Detroit. But by 1986 the schedule indicates it was offering First Class on its jet operated flights (FYBQM), though I always thought of Republic's premium class product as being more of a Business Coach type offering. In any event, although my 1986 schedule shows there were no nonstops on offer between Detroit and New Orleans, there were five airlines offering 1 or 2 stop direct flights. Only one of the five operated its jets in an all-economy configuration. That's the one we're looking for here. Please, do guess again!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;30528731]

Per jlemon: I keep thinking this is something that Pan Am would come up with in light of the change of gauge. So let's go with PA operating a B727-200 from Pittsburgh to New York JFK via Philadelphia and then an A300 from JFK nonstop to Nassau.

Per WHBM: OK, I'll challenge JL and go for Eastern. I think that traditionally they were the main carrier that would serve both Pittsburgh and Nassau. Pittsburgh-Atlanta-Miami on a 727S. Miami-Nassau on an A300.

When it comes to Caribbean services in days of old, I've always identified service out of Pittsburgh with Eastern. That's why I was so shocked to see that the airline of choice here in 1986 was indeed Pan Am. Here's the schedule:

Pan Am PA 205 Pittsburgh (PIT) 630a-729a Philadelphia (PHL) 755a-845a New York (JFK) Boeing 727-200
XXXXXXXXXXX New York (JFK) 900a-1150a Nassau (NAS) Airbus Airbus A300
Operates Daily
Wow, this sched indicates that through passengers from PIT & PHL to NAS on PA 205 had only 15 minutes for the "change of gauge" from the B727-200 to the A300 at JFK!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jlemon;30528993]
Wow, this sched indicates that through passengers from PIT & PHL to NAS on PA 205 had only 15 minutes for the "change of gauge" from the B727-200 to the A300 at JFK!
You're right. I put the times from the DISC. AFTER flight instead of the EFF. ON flight. The correct times between JFK and NAS are 920a-1210p
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16. Remember back in 1986 when you were planning to drive from your home outside Sacramento to have lunch with your sister in San Francisco, but given the morning traffic and the paucity of parking spaces, you decided to fly instead? Best of all, instead of the usual single aisle jet or prop, you managed to book yourself a seat aboard an honest to God widebody aircraft. That was a great flight for such a short route. Identify the airline and aircraft you flew upon.
Really! How many widebodies have ever flown through SMF!

It's not Republic
16. And the answer is.....not too many.

PSA did operate L-1011 service from SMF to SFO continuing on to LAX at one point but certainly not in 1986. I was tempted to guess Hawaiian Airlines operating a L-1011 from SMF to SFO continuing on to HNL....but I do not think HA was serving Sacramento in 1986. So let's go with United operating a B767-200 on the route.

20. I'll guess this was Ozark operating a DC-9-30 via a stop at their St. Louis hub.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PSA did operate L-1011 service from SMF to SFO continuing on to LAX at one point but certainly not in 1986. I was tempted to guess Hawaiian Airlines operating a L-1011 from SMF to SFO continuing on to HNL....but I do not think HA was serving Sacramento in 1986. So let's go with United operating a B767-200 on the route.

Actually, it was Hawaiian Air. Here's the schedule:

Hawaiian HA 011 Sacramento (SMF) 810a-845a San Francisco (SFO) Lockheed L-1011 Tuesday only

In 1988 I flew on a Hawaiian Air L-1011 between Portland and Seattle. The airplane was an ex-All Nippon bird and judging by the seating comfort, the plane was still configured for Japanese domestic flights.

I'll guess this was Ozark operating a DC-9-30 via a stop at their St. Louis hub.

And you would be correct. Here's the schedule:

Ozark OZ 725 Detroit (DTW) 525p-555p St. Louis (STL) 655p-834p New Orleans (MSY) DC-9-30 X6
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14. It’s early 1986 and you’re ready for some fun in Las Vegas. Although you usually fly out of Detroit aboard one of the major airlines, this time you’ve booked yourself a direct one stop flight to Vegas aboard an airline that you’ve never heard of. As an added bonus, you’ve splurged and booked a seat in First Class. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

14. Hmmmm.....perhaps another aircraft manufactured by McDonnell Douglas was involved here, such as the DC-9-30. If so, I would then think this might have been Midway with a stop at their Chicago Midway (MDW) hub.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmmmm.....perhaps another aircraft manufactured by McDonnell Douglas was involved here, such as the DC-9-30. If so, I would then think this might have been Midway with a stop at their Chicago Midway (MDW) hub.

Ooooooo.....I like it. But hey! What do I know? It wasn't Midway, nor did the flight stop at that airline's namesake airport. You're in the right neighborhood though. Please, guess again!

And speaking of airlines named after their hometown airport or just home as it were, what about that 707 question? That Caravelle question would also seem to be in your wheelhouse. Go get 'em! The two-question limit has officially been lifted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.