Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 24, 2024, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. When did.Southwest Airlines operate its first scheduled transcontinental flight? What was the route and aircraft type?
2- I can confidently say that the flight operated with a 737-700, and I’m equally confident that it originated at Baltimore/BWI

when? we relocated from Seattle to the DC area in the summer of 2001, and I recall the advertising campaign for the new service being a year or so later

where? part of me wants to say San Diego/SAN, but I also remember being surprised to see Los Angeles/ LAX nonstops fairly early on … sticking with SAN for now
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
]3. Without looking it up online, please match the launch operator with the following variants of the MD-80
MD81 - Swissair
MD82 - American Alaska Republic
MD83 - TWA PSA Alaska
MD87 - Iberia Alitalia Austrian
MD88 - Delta
100% Correct! I miss the MD80. My very first flight came in June of 1983 aboard Hawaiian Air from Honolulu to Kahului. Ultimately I went on to log 342 more flights aboard 15 airlines. I never did log a flight aboard the -87 though...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
2. When did.Southwest Airlines operate its first scheduled transcontinental flight? What was the route and aircraft type?

i can confidently say that the flight operated with a 737-700, and I’m equally confident that it originated at Baltimore/BWI. When? We relocated from Seattle to the DC area in the summer of 2001, and i recall the advertising campaign for the new service being a year or so later. Where? Part of me wants to say San Diego/SAN, but i also remember being surprised to see Los Angeles/ LAX nonstops fairly early on … sticking with SAN for now

Well, you've hit on two of the three components to a fully correct answer here. Yes, it was a 737-7H4, and yes, the flight originated out of Baltimore. But no - San Diego was not the destination...
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will be heading overseas in about four weeks, but that should be enough time to resubmit a couple of unanswered, abandoned or incomplete questions from my last batch, plus a couple of hitherto unsubmitted general knowledge type queries. As always, please be respectful of your fellow participants and limit your responses to two per day.

4. (1992) Being stationed in the Seychelles Islands over the past two years has been a dream come true, but as the saying goes, all good things must eventually come to an end. That said, if you must leave the Seychelles, there are worse places to be reassigned than to the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. On the other hand, getting there could be a real nightmare. You are delighted then to discover that on one day a week, doing so is quite easy and convenient, involving just two flights – the first a nonstop to the connection point followed by a one stop direct flight to Honolulu. Two different aircraft types will be involved and thankfully, seats are available in the forward cabins of both aircraft – though in different classes. Please identify the airlines, the routing, the aircraft types and the classes of travel associated with each airline.

7. (1992) Oh yeah! You are SO looking forward to leaving the cold and snow of Calgary behind and exchanging it for a week of sunshine and luaus at your brother’s place in Honolulu. You’ll depart Calgary in the morning on the first of three nonstop flights for your trip to the islands. Two connections and three airlines will be involved, with each airline operating a different type of aircraft. Each of the aircraft has a different engine configuration. Please identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types.
Please see post 29057

9. Everybody knows that a BOAC Comet made the 1st commercial transatlantic jet flight from London to New York in 1958. Besides New York’s Idylwild/John F. Kennedy International airport, name six other U.S. airports that saw scheduled service with the Comet

10.Which airline named its first 747 after the first man on the moon?

11. What was the first airline to use regional jets in North America?

13. Can you list – in order – the first five airlines to receive Boeing’s 747?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 27, 2024 at 2:41 pm
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
2- I will now offer BWI-LAX as the inaugural TCON route for Southwest’s 73G

was “summer 2002” the actual start of service? or are you looking for a specific month?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will now offer BWI-LAX as the inaugural TCON route for Southwest’s 73G. Was “summer 2002” the actual start of service? or are you looking for a specific month?

It was kind of a weird start up, evidently commencing with a single trial flight (with paying passengers) BWI-OAK in 1998. True scheduled service started in 2000 on the BWI-LAX route

Here's some more detailed info.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...ab0728704c1f48
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
14. The 737-MAX9 was in the news in January after the blowout of an unused emergency exit - known as a door plug, aboard an Alaska Airlines jet. This door is designed for use with high density configurations, such as you'd see with Indonesia's Lion Air MAX9s. Alaska does not operate its MAX9s in a high density configuration, but if and when it eventually sells its MAX9s, should the next operator desire a high density seating configuration, the door is already there and ready to be "unplugged".

Back in the 1970s, one US airline operated some of its 727-200s in a high density configuration seating 189 passengers.
These 727s could be identified by an extra exit between the forward passenger door and the overwing exits to meet FAA requirements. Which US airline was this?
I've seen pictures of United 727-200s with an extra exit and/or evidence of an exit that was later plugged. So UA is my guess.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I knew WN ran “almost-TCONs” BWI-PHX/LAS for a while before going all the way to the coast

apropos of nothing, I had booked a mileage run (IAD-SEA-JNU-ANC-LAX-IAD) for tomorrow, with a bit over 2 hrs in ANC

a friend said if I could SDC to arrive a couple hours earlier, she would pick me up to go have a beer or two, dinner, and a walk through the ice sculpture displays at “Fur Rondy

I found little to nothing in the way of decent seats on SEA-ANC nonstops, but saw an option via PDX arriving at 610 and another via FAI arriving at either 445 or 645; she said “As long as you can go thru FAI, they have an ice sculpture festival too!”

so I now have a 2.5 hour midafternoon layover in FAI and a chilly day full of ice sculpture viewing
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

6. What was the first airline to operate an ETOPS certified 737-200? What route did it fly?
6. I think we are talking about Aloha Airlines here.

And if memory serves me correctly, the nonstop route was Honolulu - Christmas Island (a.k.a. Kiritimati).
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:05 am

12. In terms of land area, this airport is the largest in North America, and the second largest in the world. Which airport is this?
I have a few guesses for this one. Let me start with DEN.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
14. The 737-MAX9 was in the news in January after the blowout of an unused emergency exit - known as a door plug, aboard an Alaska Airlines jet. This door is designed for use with high density configurations, such as you'd see with Indonesia's Lion Air MAX9s. Alaska does not operate its MAX9s in a high density configuration, but if and when it eventually sells its MAX9s, should the next operator desire a high density seating configuration, the door is already there and ready to be "unplugged".

Back in the 1970s, one US airline operated some of its 727-200s in a high density configuration seating 189 passengers.
These 727s could be identified by an extra exit between the forward passenger door and the overwing exits to meet FAA requirements. Which US airline was this?

I've seen pictures of United 727-200s with an extra exit and/or evidence of an exit that was later plugged. So UA is my guess.

Your guess is spot on, Herb United had 28 of these particular 727-200s built, with the plan being to operate them on a proposed "Jet Commuter" type service which was mostly on the busy San Francisco-Los Angeles corridor in competition with PSA and Western Airlines. My understanding is that a branded Jet Commuter service never materialized, but that United did employ the 189 seat aircraft primarily along the west coast, including longer flights such as LAX-SEA. I've seen them show up in schedules as all Y class or Y/K. Between 1978 and 2001, I logged 342 flights aboard United 727-200s, including all 28 of these. Thankfully, United had reconfigured them all into a more comfortable F/Y configuration by the time I logged my first flight on one

Here's a photo of one, along with a link to United's fleet. The affected -200s are all non-advanced models, numbered N7620-47

https://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines/Boeing-727-222/349476

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/29385/N7625U

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 26, 2024 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I knew WN ran “almost-TCONs” BWI-PHX/LAS for a while before going all the way to the coast. Apropos of nothing, I had booked a mileage run (IAD-SEA-JNU-ANC-LAX-IAD) for tomorrow, with a bit over 2 hrs in ANC. A friend said if I could SDC to arrive a couple hours earlier, she would pick me up to go have a beer or two, dinner, and a walk through the ice sculpture displays at “Fur Rondy” I found little to nothing in the way of decent seats on SEA-ANC nonstops, but saw an option via PDX arriving at 610 and another via FAI arriving at either 445 or 645; she said “As long as you can go thru FAI, they have an ice sculpture festival too!” So I now have a 2.5 hour midafternoon layover in FAI and a chilly day full of ice sculpture viewing
Talk about timing! I see this was posted yesterday afternoon, and somehow I missed it then - not that it would have mattered. I am down in Denali for the annual Winterfest and still am down here. I won't be back in Fairbanks until tomorrow afternoon. Sorry I missed you, but it appears to be a classic winter day in the Interior - sunny and about 0. These are good temps for the ice sculptors compared to last week when we hit 45 one day! Of course, two weeks before that, it was -54! In any event, have a great time at the ice festival and enjoy the double status miles through the end of February. I was unaware Alaska was even offering this promotion, but in early February I flew down to Seattle, rented a car and headed up to Bellingham for the Dark Star concert, then flew on to Chicago the next day to meet an old friend for lunch at Harry Caray's Restaurant. Those Holy Cow burgers are the best! Flew back to FAI via SFO and SEA, and when I checked my mileage statement, I was pleasantly surprised to see the extra status miles.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
6. What was the first airline to operate an ETOPS certified 737-200? What route did it fly?

I think we are talking about Aloha Airlines here. And if memory serves me correctly, the nonstop route was Honolulu - Christmas Island (a.k.a. Kiritimati).

Correct! And a few years earlier, this 1350 mile route was flown by Air Tungaru utilizing a 727-100

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 26, 2024 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
12. In terms of land area, this airport is the largest in North America, and the second largest in the world. Which airport is this?

I have a few guesses for this one. Let me start with DEN.

Denver it is, Here's a little more information -

https://coloradoencyclopedia.org/art...d%20prosperity
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The affected -200s are all non-advanced models, numbered N7620-47
in UA’s systems this first tranche of jets had the common “72S” designation; the later Advanced jets (N7251U thru N7299U and N7441U thru N7467U) appeared as “722”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.