FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:31 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;30528731]
6. Surf’s up in the Bahamas (or whatever approximates surf down there) and you’re ready to get out of dreary Pittsburgh for a bit of late winter sun and surf. It’s early 1986 and so far as you know there’s never been a nonstop or even direct flight between Pittsburgh and Nassau. Well there is now in the form of a 2-stop direct flight (with a change of gauge) and it even offers First Class. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.

Per jlemon: I keep thinking this is something that Pan Am would come up with in light of the change of gauge. So let's go with PA operating a B727-200 from Pittsburgh to New York JFK via Philadelphia and then an A300 from JFK nonstop to Nassau.

Per WHBM: OK, I'll challenge JL and go for Eastern. I think that traditionally they were the main carrier that would serve both Pittsburgh and Nassau. Pittsburgh-Atlanta-Miami on a 727S. Miami-Nassau on an A300.

When it comes to Caribbean services in days of old, I've always identified service out of Pittsburgh with Eastern. That's why I was so shocked to see that the airline of choice here in 1986 was indeed Pan Am. Here's the schedule:

Pan Am PA 205 Pittsburgh (PIT) 630a-729a Philadelphia (PHL) 755a-845a New York (JFK) Boeing 727-200
XXXXXXXXXXX New York (JFK) 900a-1150a Nassau (NAS) Airbus Airbus A300
Operates Daily
Wow, this sched indicates that through passengers from PIT & PHL to NAS on PA 205 had only 15 minutes for the "change of gauge" from the B727-200 to the A300 at JFK!