Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
15. Ah, it was more than eleven. USAir began retiring its One-Elevens from scheduled service during the early summer of 1988 and was prepared to write-down their investment in these aircraft with a reserve of $33 million established to facilitate this.

I also believe the plan was to replace the One-Eleven with new Fokker 100 aircraft with the first F100 scheduled for delivery in 1989. In addition, it appears USAir replaced the One-Eleven with new F100 aircraft on a one-to-one basis so perhaps there's a hint for you.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 27, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
15. Ah, it was more than eleven. USAir began retiring its One-Elevens from scheduled service during the early summer of 1988 and was prepared to write-down their investment in these aircraft with a reserve of $33 million established to facilitate this.

I also believe the plan was to replace the One-Eleven with new Fokker 100 aircraft with the first F100 scheduled for delivery in 1989. In addition, it appears USAir replaced the One-Eleven with new F100 aircraft on a one-to-one basis so perhaps there's a hint for you.
My extensive research tells me they had 32 One-Elevens in all but some went to other operators before 1988.
I guess they had 19 One-Elevens in 1988.
They ended up with 40 Fokker 100s though.

KT
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
My extensive research tells me they had 32 One-Elevens in all but some went to other operators before 1988.
I guess they had 19 One-Elevens in 1988.
They ended up with 40 Fokker 100s though.

KT
15. You are very close, sir! And with regard to the F100, I was referring to their initial order.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:49 am

15. You are very close, sir! And with regard to the F100, I was referring to their initial order.
I'll change my answer to 20 then...

Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15. Correct! And BTW, during the late 1980's I was working in the aviation industry with an office located at the Santa Maria Airport (SMX) on the central coast of California. SMX was a sleepy little airfield back then (and still is) served only by commuter air carriers at that time (AA Eagle/Wings West and DL Connection/SkyWest with both operating Metro III aircraft to LAX as well as United Express/WestAir operating EMB-110 Bandeirantes to SFO). And then one fine day a brand new F100 in Fokker corporate colors showed up on the ramp accompanied by a team from Fokker. I got to know these folks during their stay at SMX. They were there to conduct noise measurements with the F100 as they explained to me that SMX had the same characteristics as Orange County (SNA). Nice bunch of guys who had a fondness for a certain beer in a green bottle; however, I do not believe the Fokker 100 was ever operated in scheduled service into SNA.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 27, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I used to fly on those a lot......not a bad airplane at all. Very quiet and they felt like they could climb like a 757.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777
I used to fly on those a lot......not a bad airplane at all. Very quiet and they felt like they could climb like a 757.
I think the only operator of the Fokker 100 into LAX back in the day was American which operated the airplane in an all business class, 50 seat configuration with nonstop service to Dallas Love Field (DAL) in competition with Legend which was flying the DC-9-30 in 50 seat config to DAL as well (much to the dismay of Legend which wasn't around very long probably due to AA targeting them).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. It's a beautiful spring morning on a Saturday in Bermuda in 1970. You are lounging around your sailing buddy's catamaran at the local marina when a message is delivered: can you travel to London for a Sunday dinner meeting? "No problem", you think, "I'll jump on the BOAC nonstop to London". However, you are then informed this BOAC nonstop service won't be operating on this particular Saturday. So what to do? Ah ha! There's a convenient connecting service! Your first flight will depart from Bermuda at 5:15 pm and arrive at the connecting city at 9:00 pm. You'll then have 2 hour and 20 minute connecting interval before your next flight operated by the same airline departs at 11:20 pm with an arrival into London at 8:40 am. You''ll be flying in first class on board two different aircraft types. Name the air carrier, the connecting city and the equipment operated on each leg.

I've been thinking about this one for awhile... Now that first leg, departing at 5:15pm and arriving at 9:00pm, pretty much removes any flights to the U.S. eastern seaboard. However, BOAC flew onward from Bermuda to a number of Caribbean destinations and considering the connection is online, I think that's enough evidence to point to BOAC as the carrier of record here. As to the connecting point, I'm thinking Eastern time to Atlantic time zones, 2 hour and 45 minute scheduled flight time... it's gotta be somewhere in the southeastern Caribbean. Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia... Aircraft has gotta be a 707 or VC10.

So then, I'll say BOAC using a pair of 707s routing Bermuda to Barbados to London and Bob's your uncle.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5. I like your train of thought here!

However, please note this statement in the quiz item: "You'll be flying in first class on board two different aircraft types."

I will say that neither of these two flights was operated with a 707 or a VC10. Furthermore, the airline in question wasn't BOAC and the connection was not made via Barbados or via any island in the Caribbean. And here's a hint: the connection was not made at New York JFK, either.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I will say that neither of these two flights was operated with a 707 or a VC10. Furthermore, the airline in question wasn't BOAC and the connection was not made via Barbados or via any island in the Caribbean. And here's a hint: the connection was not made at New York JFK, either.
Well dang! It was fun to conjure up, though. Okay then, my next thought is Air Canada. It had First Class and also flew to London but not via the Caribbean. Let's say it routed through... say, Halifax. As to aircraft, you say there were two. Hmm... one would've been a DC-8, the other... well geez... was AC still flying Vanguards? What the heck, let's go with the Vanguard from Bermuda up to Halifax and the 8 across to London.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gate agent on the PA: " Passenger Seat 2A, please approach the podium....."

Seat 2A: "Yes, ma'am?"

Gate agent: "Ah, Mr. Seat 2A.....I'm pleased to inform you you've been upgraded to first class all the way to London. Thank you for choosing Air Canada here in Bermuda this afternoon!"

Seat 2A: "Thank you, ma'am!"

5. Air Canada is correct! Here are the scheds....

AC 497: Bermuda (BDA) 5:15p - 9:00p Halifax (YHZ)
Op: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: Vickers Vanguard

AC 858: Halifax (YHZ) 11:20p - 8:40a London Heathrow (LHR)
Op: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: Douglas DC-8
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Awesome!

Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. In 1957, this airline was operating a direct, no change of plane flight from Dusseldorf to Singapore once a week. Five intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they were made.

2. It's 1962 and you are in Nassau in the Bahamas. You need to travel to Toronto and have found a weekly service that departs every Saturday. One intermediate stop is made en route. What airline will you be flying with? Also name the aircraft type and identify the stop.

3. In 1968 this U.S. commuter air carrier made the following statement on the cover of its timetable:

Now flying 600 mph Lear Jetliners

The airline in question was operating Learjet service to five destinations, three of which were airports serving larger cities. Name this commuter air carrier as well as the three larger airports.

6. Now it's 1971 and you are in downtown St. Louis. You have been urgently summoned to a meeting in downtown Chicago and have found a nonstop flight departing from the closest airport to your location which arrives at the closest airport to your destination in downtown Chicago. You will be flying on board a turboprop aircraft that is larger than other equipment operated by commuter air carriers at this time. And you will not be departing from STL or arriving into ORD. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type. Flight departed from the Downtown St. Louis Airport (CPS). Airline wasn't Ozark and the equipment wasn't an FH-227.

10. In the winter of 1977-1978, this commuter air carrier was flying an exclusive service utilizing a turboprop with three daily round trip flights between a major airport in Florida and a posh resort located on an island. Passengers had to be members of the resort or invited guests in order to travel on the service. Identify the airline, the major airport, the resort destination and the aircraft. ANSWERED

11. It's 1981 and you are in Spokane. You've been invited to a Leon Russell concert in Tulsa and your friends have back stage passes. You discover there is a daily direct flight departing GEG at 7:00 am that will get you into TUL at 2:26 pm - plenty of time to get ready for the show. Three stops will be made en route and you will also be served lunch on one of the legs. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

12. In the fall of 1983, this U.S. based airline ran a print ad with the following message:

Our Happy Hour Is All Day Long On Our _____(turboprop aircraft type)________ Free Cocktails 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
And slowly but surely, we are making progress here with the above still looking for answers......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:09 am

6. I think there was air service from St Louis Downtown Airport in Cahokia, IL (CPS) to Meigs Field. I'm not sure of the operator, so I'll guess Ozark with a FH-227.

10. Ocean Reef Airways, from Miami to the Ocean Reef Club on Key Largo. I have no idea of the equipment, but I remember that they were bought out by PBA a year or two before PBA self destructed.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW

10. Ocean Reef Airways, from Miami to the Ocean Reef Club on Key Largo. I have no idea of the equipment, but I remember that they were bought out by PBA a year or two before PBA self destructed.
Thanks to JoeDTW for starting the answer - I'll try and put it out of its misery by adding Twin Otter for the type. (Thanks to Google and Wikipedia for their help).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.