Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As for your second question regarding later service (1981) to Stockton, I believe we're talking about Frontier operating a 737-200. The flight originated in Denver and I seem to recall an intermediate stop in there somewhere, but darned if I can think of it at present. For now, let's go with... Reno.
Correct! Here are the westbound scheds operated by Frontier.....

FL 601: Denver (DEN) 9:37a - 10:53a Reno (RNO) 11:13a - 11:44a Stockton (SCK)
Op: Daily
Equip: 73S

FL 607: Denver (DEN) 7:34p - 8:50p Reno (RNO) 9:15p - 9:47p Stockton (SCK)
Op: Daily
Equip: 73S

BTW, the next largest aircraft type being operated into Stockton at this time was the DHC-7 Dash 7 flown by Golden Gate (GG) with nonstop service from LAX, SFO, FAT and MOD.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by rosensfole
4. In 1962, what was the name for the nonstop service operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) between Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR)? Also name the aircraft type operated on this service. Aircraft was a DC8

Silver Dart
Correct! Here's the ad copy.....

GO EAST - GO WEST on the TCA Silver Dart JET FLIGHT

The only NON-STOP service between Toronto/Hamilton and Vancouver

The only ONE-STOP service between Montreal and Vancouver

DAILY SERVICE ON DC-8 GIANT JETS
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

3. Speaking of the Vickers Viscount, in 1961 this European-based airline was offering nonstop flights between Lourdes, France (LDE) and four destinations in Europe outside of France. The Viscount was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and all four destinations which were located in four different countries. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in France. Three of the destinations were Barcelona, Lisbon and Rome. The fourth destination is where this airline is still based. ANSWERED

5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made. This flight was operated with a jet.

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft. The eastbound flight originated in a city in Asia and the westbound flight terminated in the same city.
Just three to go here and as you can see, I've added some hints.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 25, 2018 at 7:27 am Reason: clarification for #3
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus #3 - Now we are back in early 1976 and are preparing to travel to Sun Valley, Idaho for a skiing vacation. We know Hughes Airwest can fly us into Twin Falls which they are promoting as the "jet gateway for Sun Valley". However, TWF is about 90 miles by car from Sun Valley via two lane highway and you would rather fly directly into Sun Valley (SUN) as the local airport is only about 12 miles down the road. Well, you are in luck....that is, if you do not mind traveling on board an aircraft that is not a jet. There are two airlines serving Sun Valley at this time. The first airline operates nonstop flights into SUN from Boise and Salt Lake City and operates three different aircraft types on these routes. The second airline only operates nonstop from Salt Lake City and only operates one aircraft type on this route. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment they were operating into Sun Valley at this time. Both airlines were commuter air carriers, one of which went out of business fairly quickly. The other airline reinvented itself some years later which included a slight modification to its name and then started flying jets in scheduled service from a hub that was not located anywhere near Sun Valley.
And I've added some hints to this one as well.....
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:11 am

I'll add a hint to the Frontier route swap question:

One of the routes the airline that wanted DAL-ABQ-LAS from Frontier would have traded to Frontier was the 2nd leg of a legendary multi stop route that's appeared in quizzes here several times.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: FB Platinum
3. Speaking of the Vickers Viscount, in 1961 this European-based airline was offering nonstop flights between Lourdes, France (LDE) and four destinations in Europe outside of France. The Viscount was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and all four destinations which were located in four different countries. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in France.

The answer is: Dublin, Aer Lingus. The first airline I had FFP with back in the owd days
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
3. Speaking of the Vickers Viscount, in 1961 this European-based airline was offering nonstop flights between Lourdes, France (LDE) and four destinations in Europe outside of France. The Viscount was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and all four destinations which were located in four different countries. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in France.

The answer is: Dublin, Aer Lingus. The first airline I had FFP with back in the owd days
3. Aer Lingus is correct! Here are the southbound scheds originating in Dublin in the summer of 1961.....

EI 590: Dublin (DUB) 15:00 - 18:00 Lourdes (LDE) 18:30 - 21:00 Lisbon (LIS)
Op: Wednesdays and Saturdays only
Equip: Viscount
Meal service: Refreshments DUB-LDE, Dinner LDE-LIS

EI 680: Dublin (DUB) 15:30 - 18:30 Lourdes (LDE) 19:00 - 21:30 Rome (ROM)
Op: Thursday and Sundays only
Meal service: Refreshments DUB-LDE, Dinner LDE-ROM

EI 560: Dublin (DUB) 17:05 - 20:05 Lourdes (LDE) 20:35 - 21:35 Barcelona (BCN)
Op: Tuesdays and Fridays only
Meal service: Dinner DUB-LDE, Refreshments LDE-BCN

And I, too, remember the good "owed" days.....thank goodness for 50% off standby youth fare tickets back then!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I've still got my original TAB card somewhere.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made. This flight was operated with a jet.

Depending upon when in the spring of '68, this could have been West Coast or Air West. If the former, the aircraft would have been a DC-9-10. I'll have to get back to you later on a guess at the routing.

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft. The eastbound flight originated in a city in Asia and the westbound flight terminated in the same city.

Since the other half of New Guinea is Indonesian, let's try Garuda operating with a DC-10-30
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made. This flight was operated with a jet. ANSWERED

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft. The eastbound flight originated in a city in Asia and the westbound flight terminated in the same city. ANSWERED
Last call for the above! Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers tomorrow evening.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending upon when in the spring of '68, this could have been West Coast or Air West. If the former, the aircraft would have been a DC-9-10. I'll have to get back to you later on a guess at the routing.

Since the other half of New Guinea is Indonesian, let's try Garuda operating with a DC-10-30
5. Yep, it was a DC-9-10. But which airline, West Coast or Air West?

11. Nope, it was not Garuda and the wide body aircraft wasn't a DC-10-30. Plus, the air carrier in question was not based in Indonesia.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus #3 - Now we are back in early 1976 and are preparing to travel to Sun Valley, Idaho for a skiing vacation. We know Hughes Airwest can fly us into Twin Falls which they are promoting as the "jet gateway for Sun Valley". However, TWF is about 90 miles by car from Sun Valley via two lane highway and you would rather fly directly into Sun Valley (SUN) as the local airport is only about 12 miles down the road. Well, you are in luck....that is, if you do not mind traveling on board an aircraft that is not a jet. There are two airlines serving Sun Valley at this time. The first airline operates nonstop flights into SUN from Boise and Salt Lake City and operates three different aircraft types on these routes. The second airline only operates nonstop from Salt Lake City and only operates one aircraft type on this route. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment they were operating into Sun Valley at this time. Both airlines were commuter air carriers, one of which went out of business fairly quickly. The other airline reinvented itself some years later which included a slight modification to its name and then started flying jets in scheduled service from a hub that was not located anywhere near Sun Valley. ANSWERED
And last call for this one as well with the answer to be provided tomorrow evening......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made. This flight was operated with a jet. It was a DC-9-10. But which airline, West Coast or Air West?

Let's go with West Coast. As to the routing - there are a lot of options. Hughes Airwest has been the answer to some of these long west coast routing type questions, and I remember for some reasons that these flights generally skipped Seattle and went down through southeast Washington. So, pulling out my trusty Rand McNally road atlas, let's start with the following:

Spokane - Pasco - Yakima - Portland

As to the rest, I'll defer to my first ever flight on Hughes Airwest

Portland - Redmond/Bend - Klamath Falls - Sacramento - San Francisco.

So there you go, six stops - GEG - PSC - YKM - PDX - RDM - LMF - SMF - SFO

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft. The eastbound flight originated in a city in Asia and the westbound flight terminated in the same city. It was not Garuda and the wide body aircraft wasn't a DC-10-30

Hmm... back in '83, Port Moresby was not a big tourism destination - at least not enough to warrant wide body capacity. As such, I'm thinking it was more of a fuel stop. For that matter, which Asian countries were doing well enough in business and tourism to warrant a route to the Auckland of 1983, which I should imagine was more of a tourism destination back then (which is when I used to spend a lot of time down there). Looked at through that prism, Japan or Hong Kong come to mind. I can't imagine Cathay Pacific running an L-1011 on this route, so what the heck - let's go with Japan Airlines operating a 747.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made. This flight was operated with a jet. It was a DC-9-10. But which airline, West Coast or Air West?

Let's go with West Coast. As to the routing - there are a lot of options. Hughes Airwest has been the answer to some of these long west coast routing type questions, and I remember for some reasons that these flights generally skipped Seattle and went down through southeast Washington. So, pulling out my trusty Rand McNally road atlas, let's start with the following:

Spokane - Pasco - Yakima - Portland

As to the rest, I'll defer to my first ever flight on Hughes Airwest

Portland - Redmond/Bend - Klamath Falls - Sacramento - San Francisco.

So there you go, six stops - GEG - PSC - YKM - PDX - RDM - LMF - SMF - SFO

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft. The eastbound flight originated in a city in Asia and the westbound flight terminated in the same city. It was not Garuda and the wide body aircraft wasn't a DC-10-30

Hmm... back in '83, Port Moresby was not a big tourism destination - at least not enough to warrant wide body capacity. As such, I'm thinking it was more of a fuel stop. For that matter, which Asian countries were doing well enough in business and tourism to warrant a route to the Auckland of 1983, which I should imagine was more of a tourism destination back then (which is when I used to spend a lot of time down there). Looked at through that prism, Japan or Hong Kong come to mind. I can't imagine Cathay Pacific running an L-1011 on this route, so what the heck - let's go with Japan Airlines operating a 747.
5. West Coast Airlines operating the previously guessed DC-9-10 is correct! And you also correctly guessed three of the six stops. Here's the sched....

WC 961: Spokane (GEG) 4:55a - 5:23a Walla Walla (ALW) 5:35a - 5:53a Pasco (PSC) 6:07a - 6:29a Yakima (YKM) 6:50a - 7:22a Portland (PDX) 7:50a - 8:19a Eugene (EUG) 8:35a - 9:03a Medford (MFD) 9:20a - 10:16a San Francisco (SFO)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: DC-9 Fanjet

Interesting to see West Coast operating the DC9 into Walla Walla....and a bit later in 1968 WC merged with Bonanza Air Lines and Pacific Air Lines to form Air West, of course, which I believe did not operate DC9 service into Walla Walla but continued to serve ALW with the Fairchild F-27. I also think the only other airline to operate jet service into Walla Walla was Cascade Airways as they had a maintenance base located at ALW as we recently discussed.

11. Ah, I can't imagine Cathay Pacific operating an L-1011 on the route, either......however, as you have mentioned Cathay Pacific, I can indeed imagine CX operating a Boeing 747 into Port Moresby! Here's the round trip sched....

CX 032: Hong Kong (HKG) 9:40p - 5:50a Port Moresby (POM) 6:50a - 1:45p Auckland (AKL)
Op: Tuesdays only
Equip: 747

CX 033: Auckland (AKL) 3:10p - 6:20p Port Moresby (POM) 7:20p - 11:15p Hong Kong (HKG)
Op: Wednesdays only
Equip: 747

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus #3 - Now we are back in early 1976 and are preparing to travel to Sun Valley, Idaho for a skiing vacation. We know Hughes Airwest can fly us into Twin Falls which they are promoting as the "jet gateway for Sun Valley". However, TWF is about 90 miles by car from Sun Valley via two lane highway and you would rather fly directly into Sun Valley (SUN) as the local airport is only about 12 miles down the road. Well, you are in luck....that is, if you do not mind traveling on board an aircraft that is not a jet. There are two airlines serving Sun Valley at this time. The first airline operates nonstop flights into SUN from Boise and Salt Lake City and operates three different aircraft types on these routes. The second airline only operates nonstop from Salt Lake City and only operates one aircraft type on this route. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment they were operating into Sun Valley at this time.
As previously mentioned, both of the airlines in question were commuter air carriers, one of which was Air Idaho (TJ) operating de Havilland Heron aircraft with Salt Lake City service. Air Idaho did not last too long. The other airline was Sun Valley Key Airlines (FS) operating Convair 440, de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter and Piper Navajo aircraft with Boise and Salt Lake City service. This air carrier would subsequently shorten its name to Key Airlines and some years later establish a hub in Savannah, Georgia (SAV) with service to destinations in the eastern U.S. as well as the Caribbean and Mexico operated with Boeing 727-100 and 727-200 equipment followed by McDonnell Douglas MD-80 equipment before going out of business.

And that does it for me! It's been fun, as always, and I shall return at some point with a new batch of quiz items.

Thanks for participating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.