Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
2: Why not take a couple more days off and head down to the Cayman Islands for a visit to Stingray City off the island’s famous North Wall? A quick check of the schedules indicates a choice of two airlines offering nonstop service to GCM from Miami. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each operates.

I think they were Southern Airlines, with a DC9, and LACSA of Costa Rica, with a BAC One Eleven, which they operated for the then Cayman Airways

LACSA with the BAC One Eleven is correct. However, the schedule I reference does not show Southern operating on the route. To the best of my dubious knowledge, Southern didn't commence service to the Caymans until 1974.

So then - we're looking for one more airline on the MIA-GCM route...

70. What was the world’s first “Holiday” airline to operate the 747? What year did it commence service with that airline?

One answer would be Condor, the German charter carrier, who got the first such-configured 747 and used it on various large capacity flights, whether to Palma and the Canary Islands, or to points such as San Francisco which Lufthansa did not serve.

However, Condor was just a division of Lufthansa, who operated the Condor fleet on their main AOC as if they were their own, in a colour scheme which was just a Lufthansa tweak. Which makes the first "proper" holiday airline operator Wardair, who got their first a year or two later. I think the first Condor one likely came in 1971.

My source for this question was an article about Condor in the July 2017 edition of Airways magazine. Per that article, Condor commenced 747 services in 1971.

That said, I'm fine with deferring to Wardair operating what might have come to be known as the "Big Pickle" had Braniff actually taken delivery.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
My guess about Mohawk in ERI: DTW and BUF.

You are correct, Joe. ^

4. For the most part, passengers flying into Miami from international destinations did so aboard large, 4 engine jetliners. Identify the only U.S. airline to fly into Miami from a foreign destination using a 2 engine aircraft. Oh yeah, identify the international point of origin as well as the aircraft.

Note:
Caribair has been correctly submitted. Turns out there's one more US airline that also qualifies here...

Regarding US carrier twinjets at MIA. I think 1970 was before Southern started their MIA-GCM flights, and DL did not have international authority from MIA. That leaves The Wings of Man, which had a huge DC-9 fleet.

I'll guess that EA flew DC-9s to FPO or NAS from MIA.

An excellent guess, Joe, and one which I checked early on in the formation of this question. Surprisingly, all of Eastern's services between NAS/FPO and MIA are with 727/72S aircraft.

As such, we are looking for a different airline flying a different route. Please, guess again!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4- I've been reciting the US trunk airlines of 1970 in my head, and the only possibility I can imagine for one serving MIA with a twin-engine jet from an international destination is Northeast: a DC-9-30 "Yellowbird" from Montreal (YUL)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
2. Why not take a couple more days off and head down to the Cayman Islands for a visit to Stingray City off the island’s famous North Wall? A quick check of the schedules indicates a choice of two airlines offering nonstop service to GCM from Miami. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each operates.

I do know that BWIA was operating B727-100 "Sunjet" service between Miami and Grand Cayman during the late 1960's. However, BWIA had ceased serving GCM by the early 1970's. So let's go with Cayman Airways (KX) operating a DC-6B between MIA and GCM.

Per the schedule I reference (Nov. 1970), KX was not yet offering service on the GCM-MIA route. And since at this point the answer is a virtual tap in, I'll just say your first cogitation was correct - it was BWIA with a 727.

Bonus Question In late 1970, Cayman Airways operated flights from GCM to a single international destination. Identify the destination and the aircraft type used.

3. Now you’ve got to get back to Miami from Aruba. Back in 1970 there was just one nonstop flight per week. Identify the airline and the aircraft operating this service.

Let's go with VIASA operating a DC-8 on a CCS-AUA-MIA routing.

Correct! Here's the schedule:

AUA-MIA VA 744 1130a - 100p DC-8 Op. Tuesday only
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Bonus Question: In the late 1970, Cayman Airways operated flights from GCM to single international destination. Identify the destination and the aircraft type used.

I'll guess Kingston (KIN) with BAC One-Eleven service (with the aircraft actually being provided by LACSA).

And speaking of Cayman Airways.....

Another Bonus Question:
Identify the only route operated by Cayman Airways where the two airports served were not in the Cayman Islands. And here's a hint: the two destinations were not Kingston and Montego Bay. They were in different countries. ANSWERED. And it was actually two routes: GDT-MIA and PLS-MIA

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 23, 2017 at 1:17 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

5 It’s time to get out of Miami and head up to Atlanta. You feel like a little local flight seeing. Hmm… Here’s a five stop flight departing Miami late morning, arriving Atlanta late afternoon. There are no meals served onboard but the itinerary looks intriguing. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the five enroute stops.
I believe the airline here is most likely Eastern. Equipment might have been an Electra....but I think not. In 1970, EA may have still been operating the Convair 440 so there's our aircraft. And the routing could have been several different permutations as Eastern served a number of destinations at this time in Florida and Georgia. So let's go with:

* Miami
* Vero Beach
* Orlando
* Ocala
* Gainesville
* Jacksonville
* Atlanta
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jrl767;28592161]
Originally Posted by jrl767
4. For the most part, passengers flying into Miami from international destinations did so aboard large, 4 engine jetliners. Identify the only U.S. airline to fly into Miami from a foreign destination using a 2 engine aircraft. Oh yeah, identify the international point of origin as well as the aircraft.

Note
: Caribair has been correctly submitted. Turns out there's one more US airline that also qualifies here...

I've been reciting the US trunk airlines of 1970 in my head, and the only possibility I can imagine for one serving MIA with a twin-engine jet from an international destination is Northeast: a DC-9-30 "Yellowbird" from Montreal (YUL)

Way to flesh it out, J! Northeast is correct! Here's the sked:

YUL-MIA NE 093 F/Y 1000a - 120p D9S Nonstop Lunch Op. 67

Meanwhile, Air Canada countered with two daily DC-8 nonstops.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
[I]Bonus Question: In the late 1970, Cayman Airways operated flights from GCM to single international destination. Identify the destination and the aircraft type used.

I'll guess Kingston (KIN) with BAC One-Eleven service (with the aircraft actually being provided by LACSA).

Yep, Kingston it was. ^ Here's the sked:

KX 043 Y GCM-KIN 940a - 1030a BAC Nonstop Op. 1
KX 043 Y GCM-KIN 340p - 430pm BAC Nonstop Op. 1

5 It’s time to get out of Miami and head up to Atlanta. You feel like a little local flight seeing. Hmm… Here’s a five stop flight departing Miami late morning, arriving Atlanta late afternoon. There are no meals served onboard but the itinerary looks intriguing. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the five enroute stops.

I believe the airline here is most likely Eastern. Equipment might have been an Electra....but I think not. In 1970, EA may have still been operating the Convair 440 so there's our aircraft. And the routing could have been several different permutations as Eastern served a number of destinations at this time in Florida and Georgia. So let's go with:

* Miami
* Vero Beach
* Orlando
* Ocala
* Gainesville
* Jacksonville
* Atlanta

Looks good to me, JL, but NOoooooo! We're looking for a different airline and aircraft. Please - guess again!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. It’s time to get out of Miami and head up to Atlanta. You feel like a little local flight seeing. Hmm… Here’s a five stop flight departing Miami late morning, arriving Atlanta late afternoon. There are no meals served onboard but the itinerary looks intriguing. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the five enroute stops.
5- like jlemon, my first thought was EA ... but since that has been debunked I will posit Southern, operating a DC-9-10 via Ft Lauderdale (FLL), Gainesville (GNV), Pensacola (PNS), Eglin AFB (VPS), and Montgomery (MGM)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: BA
7. Identify this airline that ran ads in 1970 claiming that it:
• Had the best on-time service of any airline in North America
• Served over 100 cities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico
• Offered First Class leg room for all jet passengers
• Offered five abreast seating on all jet flights
Was it Western ?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
5- like jlemon, my first thought was EA ... but since that has been debunked I will posit Southern, operating a DC-9-10 via Ft Lauderdale (FLL), Gainesville (GNV), Pensacola (PNS), Eglin AFB (VPS), and Montgomery (MGM)
5. Since Eastern has been ruled out, I agree with jrl767 that this may have been SO operating a DC9 but with a different routing:

* Miami
* Orlando
* Tallahassee
* Panama City
* Eglin AFB
* Dothan
* Atlanta
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another Bonus Question: Identify the only route operated by Cayman Airways where the two airports served were not in the Cayman Islands. And here's a hint: the two destinations were not Kingston and Montego Bay. They were in different countries.

Back in the 1990s Cayman Airways used to fly Miami to Providenciales out in the Turks & Caicos. I don't recall the aircraft type but as the 1-11s would've been getting a bit long in the tooth by then and it might've been a bit early for the 737-400s, let's go with the 727-200.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5. It’s time to get out of Miami and head up to Atlanta. You feel like a little local flight seeing. Hmm… Here’s a five stop flight departing Miami late morning, arriving Atlanta late afternoon. There are no meals served onboard but the itinerary looks intriguing. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the five enroute stops.

Per jrl767: Like jlemon, my first thought was EA ... but since that has been debunked I will posit Southern, operating a DC-9-10 via Ft Lauderdale (FLL), Gainesville (GNV), Pensacola (PNS), Eglin AFB (VPS), and Montgomery (MGM)

Per jlemon: Since Eastern has been ruled out, I agree with jrl767 that this may have been SO operating a DC9 but with a different routing:

* Miami
* Orlando
* Tallahassee
* Panama City
* Eglin AFB
* Dothan
* Atlanta

Now we're rollin'! You're both correct that the airline was Southern, operating a DC-9-10. As to the routing, let's list what we know - from both of your submitted routings - to be correct so far...

MIA-MCO-TLH-PFN-VPS-ABY-ATL Panama City, Elgin AFB, Albany

* Miami
* Orlando
* Tallahassee
* Panama City
* Elgin Air Force Base
* _______________
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

Was it Western ?

An excellent guess WHBM as Western did indeed serve many cities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico and also offered First Class leg room for all jet passengers. However, Western did not offer five abreast seating on its all-Boeing jet fleet. Please, guess again.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1970 OAG

A N S W E R E D

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

101. What is the common thread between these four numbers? 11 75 42 17

102. Where would you be if you were enjoying a beer at the Sourdough Bar?

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM AN EARLY 1959 OAG

11. If you were flying aboard “Sky Chief” First Class service, which airline would you be flying upon?

12. Due to flooding, the eastbound Empire Builder is unable to continue beyond Minot. You need to be in Minneapolis by tomorrow morning. No problem – you’ll just call Northwest Airlines and book a flight. Whaaat? Northwest doesn’t fly between Minot and Minneapolis - at least not for another few years. Thankfully, there is an airline that does offer through plane service between Minot and Minneapolis via a single, daily four stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the routing and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

13. This airline offered direct four-stop flights between Oakland, CA and Okinawa departing Oakland each Tuesday and Friday evening at 8:00pm. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

14. Eastern Airlines flew to only five destinations located outside the Continental U.S. Identify those five destinations
A N S W E R E D

15. What was the longest route flown by Capitol Airlines in early 1959?

16. In 1959, what was the brand name for United Airlines’ enhanced First Class product as offered on trans-cons and other select markets?

17. Three airlines offered nonstop flights between New York City and Mexico City. One of them claimed to offer the fasted service between the two cities – a claim backed up by published schedules. Identify the airline that offered the fastest JFK-MEX service as well as the aircraft it operated. Additionally, identify the other two airlines and the aircraft each operated.
P A R T I A L L Y A N S W E R E D

18. What was TWA’s most far-flung destination? The “end of the line” as it were.
A N S W E R E D

19. As of early 1959, only two airlines were operating pure-jet flights within the United States. Identify each airline and the jet equipment each was operating.
A N S W E R E D

20. If you were flying in “Golden Banner Coach”, which airline would you be flying upon?

21. What was the northernmost airport in North America served by a turbo-prop powered airliner? While you’re at it, identify the airline and aircraft type serving that airport.
A N S W E R E D

22. What were the southernmost and westernmost points served by Ozark Airlines?

23. Despite its name, Indianapolis based Lake Central Airlines flies to only three cities that are located on lakes – albeit Great Lakes at that. Identify those three cities.

24. You’ve just departed Burbank’s Lockheed Terminal and are now enjoying “Royal Cavalier Service” enroute to Chicago’s Midway Airport. Identify the airline and aircraft upon which you are flying.

25. Identify the only two islands served on Qantas’ “Wallaby Route”
A N S W E R E D

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1991 OAG

26. Tired of Continental’s then lackluster service between Houston and Merida, you decide to check out the competition’s nonstop, which operates four days per week. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

27. Puerto Vallarta is well served out of Los Angeles with Aeromexico, Alaska, Delta and Mexicana all offering nonstop flights. From San Diego however, there is only a single daily nonstop flight offered. Identify the airline and the equipment operating the SAN-PVR flight.

28. If you wanted to fly on a jet out of Ponce, Puerto Rico, it used to be you had to call Eastern Airlines. These days another airline is the sole operator of jet flights out of Ponce with nonstop flights to two mainland cities. Identify the airline operating these flights and the two destinations served.

29. What’s got 4 engines and flies daily between LAS and LAX

30. 727-100s are becoming increasingly rare around North American skies in 1991, but you can still book a seat aboard one on this twice weekly flight between Cleveland and Nassau. Which airline is it?

31. Identify the three French airlines that flew nonstop from Paris to Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe

32. It’s been a long winter here in Washington, DC and now –suddenly – you’ve got a chance to take spring break in Chile. An excellent fare is offered by this airline offering a one-stop, direct flight from Dulles down to Santiago. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single stop to be made enroute.
A N S W E R E D

33. You’re enjoying a beautiful afternoon on the pier in Santa Monica when you receive a call from the office directing you to fly out to El Paso to help address a sticky engineering issue with a new product. It’s been a while since you’ve flown out to ELP from LAX and you’re surprised to find that where once the route enjoyed nonstop competition between multiple airlines, now only one airline flies nonstop. Identify the single airline offering nonstop service on this route.
A N S W E R E D

34. A dreary New York winter is suddenly made much nicer when you receive a call from friends asking if you’d care to join them on a scuba diving trip in the Cayman Islands. Can you get to Grand Cayman by tomorrow afternoon? If you can get can get a morning flight to Miami, yes. A call to your travel agent reveals a pleasant surprise however – there’s a new nonstop flight out of Kennedy that will get you into GCM at 3:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon down to Grand Cayman.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 24, 2017 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.