Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old May 3, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.

Per teddybear99: Sorry, didn't see that guess and your qualifier. When I mean dubious, there are questions in the past that have said domestic that went to US Territories outside the Continental US. Now the question in hand is asking for the one single commercial flight from Denver and as Boston and Miami are long distances, they are both served out of Denver by multiple airlines, so they both would be a no go. I am going to guess United Airlines to Portland, ME on a DC9-30.

Now look what you've gone and done - you done got jrl767 all fired up!

Per jrl767: WOW!
(1) UA never operated any DC-9 series

(2) PWM-DEN is 1782 miles per gcmap, and there’s NO WAY that a D9S could make that as a revenue flight without serious payload limits (range by itself isn’t an issue; I caught a Space-Available hop on a Navy C-9B that went NAS Alameda to NAS Norfolk with a total of 14 on board)

Well that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's good to get fired up now and again! That said, keep in mind that the question addresses flights out of Colorado - not just Denver. The OAG I referenced was from January 1998.

Awright, boys! Go get 'em!!
Hey, I was up for 23 hours and was reading FT to make me sleepy. Trying to stir up some responses. Thank you jrl67 for pointing out my outrageous guess.

Seat 2A, I second the partially correct response with out any clue to what was wrong with the proposed answer.

Now, time to take a nap
Old May 3, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

......PWM-DEN is 1782 miles per gcmap, and there’s NO WAY that a D9S could make that as a revenue flight without serious payload limits (range by itself isn’t an issue; I caught a Space-Available hop on a Navy C-9B that went NAS Alameda to NAS Norfolk with a total of 14 on board)
I have a good friend who is former USMC aviator who flew the C-9B "Skytrain II" (which I believe was a modified DC9-32CF) as PIC. Among the many missions he flew were a number of nonstop flights between California (including from and to MCAS El Toro as well as NAS Point Mugu) and MCAS Kane'ohe Bay on the island of Oahu. The aircraft did have an aux tank which enabled a range of around 2,600 miles.....but that is still a rather long way for a DC9. My friend said he and his co-pilot always monitored their fuel state very closely on these missions, especially when headwinds were present.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
P.S. I'm giving some thought to not acknowledging correct aircraft types that are associated with an incorrect airline or route guess. I mean, you guys are all so well versed at this stuff - why make it any easier? In many cases, once you know the aircraft type and from another answer know that the flight routes through XXX, it's oh so easy to put two and two together and come up with the answer. In any event, I'm only giving this some thought at present. What are your thoughts?
I'm a proponent of being as specific as possible with regard to identifying aircraft types. For example, here are a number of aircraft codes with their definitions from the OAG (but not all of the aircraft types that appeared in various OAG editions over the years)....

AB3 - Airbus A300 (all series)
ARJ - Avro International Aerospace Avroliner
B11 - BAC One Eleven (all series)
S11 - BAC One-Eleven series 500
CRJ - Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ-100 and -200)
CR7 - Canadair CRJ series 700
CR9 - Canadair CRJ series 900
DC8 - Douglas DC-8 (all series)
D8S - Douglas DC-8 series 60 & 70 (including -61, -62, -63, -71, -72 & -73)
DC9 - McDonnell Douglas DC-9 (all 10 & 20 series)
D10 - McDonnell Douglas DC-10 (all series)
D9S - McDonnell Douglas DC-9 (all 30 & 40 series)
D95 - McDonnell Douglas DC-9-50
ERJ - Embraer ERJ (all series including -135, -140 & -145)
ER3 - Embraer ERJ-135
ER4 - Embraer ERJ-145
FRJ - Fairchild/Dornier 328
L10 - Lockheed L-1011 (all series)
L15 - Lockheed L-1011-500
M11 - McDonnell Douglas MD-11
M80 - McDonnell Douglas MD-80 (including MD-81, MD-82, MD-83 & MD-88)
M87 - McDonnell Douglas MD-87
M90 - McDonnell Douglas MD-90
F28 - Fokker F28 (all series)
F70 - Fokker F70
100 - Fokker 100
146 - British Aerospace BAe 146 (including series -100, -200 & -300)
32S - Airbus A320 series (including A318, A319, A320 & A321)
310 - Airbus A310
318 - Airbus A318
319 - Airbus A319
320 - Airbus A320
321 - Airbus A321
332 - Airbus A330-200
333 - Airbus A330-300
342 - Airbus A340-200
343 - Airbus A340-300

I could continue here with later Airbus aircraft as well as all of the Boeing equipment plus all of the various turboprop makes and models but I think you get my drift......
strickerj likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14. (1995) Although New York City’s three major airports are well served by flights to and from San Juan, PR, the same cannot be said for its outlying airports in White Plains and Newburgh. There are no nonstop or direct flights out of White Plains to anywhere in the Caribbean. Thankfully, Newburgh has one twice weekly one stop direct flight to and from San Juan. That’ll work. Now you can tell your housekeeper Rosa that as a token of your appreciation for all her hard work, you’ll be sending her home to San Juan for a visit with her family. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop for the relevant flight out of Newburgh.
14. Sounds like this just might be Carnival Air Lines operating a B737-200 via a stop at Fort Lauderdale (and I think FLL was their hub).

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 2020 at 12:24 pm
Old May 3, 2020, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
19. Colorado, longest non-stop.

While I'm almost certain this is wrong, it is plausible so I'll say it.

Western Pacific, Boeing 737-300, Colorado Springs - Boston.

So wrong for a few reasons but this my answer.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
26. (1979) Your favorite hometown guitarist – Steve Kimock – is playing with Martin Fierro and his band The Underdogs at the Garland Theater in Spokane, Washington. You’ve been fortunate enough to have been comped tickets by your buddy, the band’s equipment manager – if you can get there. You call both United and Hughes Airwest but to no avail. Not only are the Underdogs in town but the Pacific Northwest Dry Cleaner’s Symposium is also happening that week. Finally you call a travel agency and are gobsmacked to find a single coach class seat on an airline you never would have considered for a flight from SFO up to GEG. The flight makes one stop but the price is right and you’ll arrive Spokane 2 ˝ hours before show time. Name the airline, aircraft and stopover point for this flight.
26- other than UA and RW, about the only jet providing SFO-GEG service would have featured a red T-tail ... a Northwest 727-200, operating via Seattle/SEA ... but given that (1) the reverse of this routing was a portion of the answer to one of my recent questions, and (b) less-than-obvious answers are a regular feature here, I’ll actually posit that the intermediate stop was Portland/PDX

14- jlemon beat me to the guess by a couple minutes, although I was going to guess a 734
Old May 3, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
14. (1995) Although New York City’s three major airports are well served by flights to and from San Juan, PR, the same cannot be said for its outlying airports in White Plains and Newburgh. There are no nonstop or direct flights out of White Plains to anywhere in the Caribbean. Thankfully, Newburgh has one twice weekly one stop direct flight to and from San Juan. That’ll work. Now you can tell your housekeeper Rosa that as a token of your appreciation for all her hard work, you’ll be sending her home to San Juan for a visit with her family. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop for the relevant flight out of Newburgh.

Sounds like this just might be Carnival Air Lines operating a B737-200 via a stop at Fort Lauderdale (and I think FLL was their hub).

Well, you're correct about Carnival and the routing through FLL, but in the interest of of being as specific as possible with regard to identifying aircraft types, I've gotta call foul on that 737-200. That said, you are verrrry close. Tap that baby in, Sir!
Old May 3, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.
Colorado, longest non-stop.

While I'm almost certain this is wrong, it is plausible so I'll say it. Western Pacific, Boeing 737-300, Colorado Springs - Boston.

Well I think your answer has considerable merit, and at a different time of year it very well might be the one we're looking for. But in this instance, during the winter of 1998, we're looking for a different airline operating out of a different airport to a different destination. Please, guess again!
Old May 3, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

26. (1979) Your favorite hometown guitarist – Steve Kimock – is playing with Martin Fierro and his band The Underdogs at the Garland Theater in Spokane, Washington. You’ve been fortunate enough to have been comped tickets by your buddy, the band’s equipment manager – if you can get there. You call both United and Hughes Airwest but to no avail. Not only are the Underdogs in town but the Pacific Northwest Dry Cleaner’s Symposium is also happening that week. Finally you call a travel agency and are gobsmacked to find a single coach class seat on an airline you never would have considered for a flight from SFO up to GEG. The flight makes one stop but the price is right and you’ll arrive Spokane 2 ˝ hours before show time. Name the airline, aircraft and stopover point for this flight.

Other than UA and RW, about the only jet providing SFO-GEG service would have featured a red T-tail ... a Northwest 727-200, operating via Seattle/SEA ... but given that (1) the reverse of this routing was a portion of the answer to one of my recent questions, and (b) less-than-obvious answers are a regular feature here, I’ll actually posit that the intermediate stop was Portland/PDX

You clearly got lots of sleep, J. Your answer is 100% spot on correct! Here's the schedule. Enjoy the show! (I have seen Steve Kimock and his band in a couple of different iterations. The guy knows his way around the frets!

Northwest NW 40 San Francisco (SFO) 150p-318p Portland (PDX) 355p-447p Spokane (GEG) 727-200 Daily

14- jlemon beat me to the guess by a couple minutes, although I was going to guess a 734

And as such, you will get credit for an assist. Well done! Here's the schedule:

Carnival KW 153 Newburgh (SWF) 400p-700p S Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) 800p-1100p S San Juan (SJU) 737-400 Tu Su
Old May 3, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
19- long hauls out of Colorado ... let’s try American, operating a 757 out of Vail/Eagle (EGE) to Miami (MIA)
Old May 3, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.Long hauls out of Colorado ... let’s try American, operating a 757 out of Vail/Eagle (EGE) to Miami (MIA)

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!! Over the years American operated seasonal services from New York, Chicago, Dallas, LAX and even SFO to a number of different Colorado ski towns. Eagle/Vail to Miami tops out at 1810 miles

American AA 2398 Vail (EGE) 1141a-545p Miami (MIA) 757-200 We Sa Su 1810 miles
Old May 3, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
21. Wild guess time.....American operating a B727-100 with stops at Dallas/Fort Worth and Las Vegas.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nothing like a few OTAQ&D questions to spice up the ennui of sheltering in place! We're off to a great start, guys...

As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Answers that include terms like "possibly" or "probably" et al are not acceptable. Please be specific. Thanks!

2. (1985) You’ve had a great weekend in Orlando, FL but before you can return home to Mississippi you first need to attend to some business up in White Plains, NY. Though you were expecting to fly into LaGuardia and rent a car, you’re surprised to find that one airline offers a one stop direct flight to nearby Westchester County Airport that departs Orlando every afternoon except Saturday. Perfect. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and dinner will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops in order please.
A N S W E R E D

7. (1988) You get around more than most people in your home state of Maine. Indeed, Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing Bangor each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.

13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly from Orlando back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 2020 at 9:37 pm
Old May 3, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Wild guess time.....American operating a B727-100 with stops at Dallas/Fort Worth and Las Vegas.

No chicken dinner for you, jlemon! At least, not just now. We're looking for a different airline operating a 727-100 over a different routing. Please, do have another go at this one!
Old May 4, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
This is a good candidate for UA's 727s between California and the Southeast. I will guess UA 727 operating TYS-HSV-LAX-RNO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.