Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Re. 8. Please guess again, sir, as our mystery city is located not very far from one of your two guesses above....but which one?

Close, huh? Well now, I just can't see operating out of Lake Tahoe or Stockton but back in the day when I was driving around California trying to visit all of the remote airports that I would likely never fly into (I either visited or flew into all of Air West's California stops except Vandenberg) I remember that it was just a short drive over the Laguna Mountains between San Diego and El Centro. Could it be that enough San Diegans wanted to hit the slopes that RW gave them a nonstop to Twin Falls? If so, I'm sure it was a Saturday only turn.

San Diego. That's my final answer.

4. In 1962, what was the name for the nonstop service operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) between Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR)? Also name the aircraft type operated on this service.

You'd think I would know this one, being the inflight service oriented guy that I am, but no - haven't a clue. Let's go with Maple Leaf Service aboard a DC-8-40
4. Well, you've correctly guessed the equipment, being the venerable DC8! However, TCA was using another catchy two word slogan for "the only NON-STOP service between Toronto and Vancouver" at this time.

8. Ah, this cannot be your final answer when you were so close with your other comments! And no, it was not San Diego (SAN).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
8. Ah, this cannot be your final answer when you were so close with your other comments! And no, it was not San Diego (SAN).
Well then, let's go north and say Oakland. If that's not it, the north is out and we're back down south, as in SNA
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well then, let's go north and say Oakland. If that's not it, the north is out and we're back down south, as in SNA
8. The north is in! However, it was not Oakland....but our mystery city is located not too far away from OAK.

As for Santa Ana, Hughes Airwest was operating two daily direct flights at this time from SNA to TWF, one of of which was operated with a DC9 with the other being flown with a D9S, with both services making stops at LAS and SLC with a snack being served on both flights.

Please guess again!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum
1. In 1930, this airline was operating six round trip flights a day between Detroit and Cleveland. The air carrier in question stated it provided "the fastest, the most direct and most convenient transportation between the business sections of Cleveland and Detroit." The aircraft used for these flights could transport "six cabin passengers together with 500 pounds of baggage....." There was also something very unique about this air service. Name the airline that operated these flights and also describe what was unique about this service. And for extra special bonus points, identify the aircraft.
Stout Air Services did this run with a Ford AT-5 (later AT-8) but I'm at a loss re. uniqueness other than this run was one of the first (if not THE first) airmail service in the US.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
Stout Air Services did this run with a Ford AT-5 (later AT-8) but I'm at a loss re. uniqueness other than this run was one of the first (if not THE first) airmail service in the US.
1. Ah, this was not Stout Air Services and the aircraft wasn't a Ford AT-5 or AT-8. And the unique nature of this service did not primarily concern airmail.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum
1. Ah, this was not Stout Air Services and the aircraft wasn't a Ford AT-5 or AT-8. And the unique nature of this service did not primarily concern airmail.

Please guess again, sir!
In that case let's try: Thompson Aeronautical Corp. flying Keystone-Loening air yachts. I guess the usage of boat-planes was the unique feature.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
In that case let's try: Thompson Aeronautical Corp. flying Keystone-Loening air yachts. I guess the usage of boat-planes was the unique feature.
1. Correct! And to the best of my knowledge, this was the only time that Cleveland and Detroit were linked with scheduled passenger seaplane service. I also believe the Keystone-Loening Air Yacht was an amphibian aircraft.

According to a 1930 Thompson Aeronautical Corp. (TAC) marine division timetable, "TAC Planes take off and alight on calm waters at TAC private docks. Taking on passengers, loading express mail and freight takes place on land. Hotels and office buildings in downtown Cleveland and Detroit are just a few minutes by your own car or taxi from the TAC Air Depot...."

The flying time between Cleveland and Detroit was advertised as 55 minutes with a one way air fare of $15.00 with "Excellent Connections at Detroit and Cleveland via air, rail, electric lines and buses." As for the Keystone-Loening Air Yacht aircraft, "The comfortable, roomy cabins are well ventilated. Wide windows give an excellent view as the planes wing a 90-mile airline across Lake Erie. You are always in sight of land as you soar over beautiful lake islands and watch lake steamers crawling beneath you. Midway in your trip you salute a sister TAC plane on its way to the city you have just left. Entering and leaving Detroit you sail over Canada."

TAC was also operating land plane service at this time to destinations in Michigan including Detroit as well as to Chicago, Toledo and Cleveland.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. The north is in! However, it was not Oakland....but our mystery city is located not too far away from OAK. Please guess again!
No way it could be Santa Rosa. I don't see Monterey either. I'm leaning toward Fresno but it's too far. Yesterday afternoon a vision came unto me that suggested Stockton, which is indeed not too far from Oakland. So - Stockton. There you go.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the OTAQ&D Intermission!

I am currently traveling on business and do not have my quiz item reference materials with me. Therefore, we shall observe a brief intermission. I should be returning to Louisiana tomorrow afternoon and I'll then pick the thread back up at that time.

And I see that Seat 2A has had a cosmic vision where he believes Hughes Airwest was actually operating nonstop jet service between Stockton and Twin Falls.....

Could this really be true? Stay tuned!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the meantime, here's one to ponder...

Ponder 1:He promised people a diamond in the sky when we had 21 of some of the oldest, worst maintained aircraft then flying,” said this airline’s marketing director. “He’s giving a press conference promising a diamond in the sky. I’m saying, ‘You may have to settle for cubic zirconium to start.’

Identify the airline and its CEO referenced here.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:35 pm

In the meantime, here's one to ponder...

Ponder 1:He promised people a diamond in the sky when we had 21 of some of the oldest, worst maintained aircraft then flying,” said this airline’s marketing director. “He’s giving a press conference promising a diamond in the sky. I’m saying, ‘You may have to settle for cubic zirconium to start.’

ValuJet Airlines sprang to mind. Maurice Gallagher the CEO?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:52 pm

Here's a filler of my own pending jlemon's return.

It's March 1991 and I have an air-pass type ticket for a trip to the south western U.S.A.
I fly non-stop from New York JFK to Phoenix, AZ
I then need to get to Laredo, TX. As I'm restricted to using this one airline for my travel, what was the nearest city that I could fly to in order to continue my journey by road?
There was a special add-on fare from PHX to HNL (GBP 50 each way from memory).

a. name the airline
b. name the nearest city to Laredo, TX which this airline flew to
c. what aircraft type flew me to HNL
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
He promised people a diamond in the sky when we had 21 of some of the oldest, worst maintained aircraft then flying,” said this airline’s marketing director. “He’s giving a press conference promising a diamond in the sky. I’m saying, ‘You may have to settle for cubic zirconium to start.’

ValuJet Airlines sprang to mind. Maurice Gallagher the CEO?
An excellent guess, KT, but no - we're looking for a different airline and CEO here. Please, do have another go at this one!

As for your question, the airline sure sounds like America West. The Honolulu bound aircraft would have been an ex-KLM 747-206B. As for the closest city to Laredo served by HP, well, the year before I took the train from Mexico City up to Nuevo Laredo. As I recall, it wasn't a very long bus ride up to good ol' San Antone where a delicious Mexican dinner awaited. So, I'd have to say San Antonio. As a big fan of the desert southwest, I think that sounds like a fun trip!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 22, 2018 at 12:38 am
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:31 am

An excellent guess, KT, but no - we're looking for a different airline and CEO here. Please, do have another go at this one!

As for your question, the airline sure sounds like America West. The Honolulu bound aircraft would have been an ex-KLM 747-206B. As for the closest city to Laredo served by HP, well, the year before I took the train from Mexico City up to Nuevo Laredo. As I recall, it wasn't a very long bus ride up to good ol' San Antone where a delicious Mexican dinner awaited. So, I'd have to say San Antonio. As a big fan of the desert southwest, I think that sounds like a fun trip!
Greetings from Geneva where I'm waiting for a delayed Jet2 757 to take me to Leeds. Things I/we do for a crazy day out.
America West and the old KLM B742 is correct (N532AW both ways &#128557.
I'm not sure HP flew to SAT then. If they did, I would surely have flown there. I had a much longer road trip, so please try again for my destination.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I have two bonus questions, based on Seat 2A's earlier MKC-DAL-ABQ-LAS flight on Frontier.

The CAB awarded Frontier DAL-ABQ-LAS in 1969. However, Frontier was not able to compete against CO and Texas International between DAL and ABQ, or TWA between ABQ and LAS. Frontier suspended the route in 1971, and operated it only intermittently afterward.

1. In 1973, Frontier agreed to give this route to another airline. Which airline did they agree to give it to?
CO and DL are incorrect.
2. What two routes of the other airline would have been given to Frontier in exchange for this route?
Neither of the routes went to DEN, ICT, or OKC.

The route exchange was not approved by the CAB, and the route disappeared from Frontier's route maps by 1978.
About 1 1/2 months ago, I posted these questions, but they went unanswered. Does anyone want to try them again?

Last edited by JoeDTW; Mar 24, 2018 at 3:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.