Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:18 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by WHBM
Not so I'm afraid. Please guess again.
Quite so. She rode in a C-47/DC-3/Dakota from the Treetops airstrip.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Quite so. She rode in a C-47/DC-3/Dakota from the Treetops airstrip.
Hello Gardyloo, yes, you are there. They were at Treetops, in upcountry Kenya, when things happened. The BOAC Canadair C-4 Argonaut, fully contracted for the trip through Africa and on to Australia, was over at Entebbe in Uganda. In the moment of panic and disorganisation an East African DC-3 was commandeered from schedules that day to pick the party up at the grass field at Nanyuki, not on the normal EAA network, and bring them back to Entebbe, whence the Canadair returned to London overnight, as seen in the film clip.

See 14:00 here : BBC NEWS | UK | The day the King died

And that's why it was a bonus question to the East African DC-3 one !
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
interesting ... I was about to opine that WHBM was referring to her first overseas travel from England after she ascended to the throne

a little bit of research reveals that trip (to Bermuda, Jamaica, and Panama) occurred in late Nov 1953; if she traveled by air, she would have have been aboard either a Vickers Viking or an Avro York of the RAF Royal Flight
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. This includes both domestic and International flights. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this lone 707 flight. The flight in question is an international flight of over 4000 miles...
It's not in Florida or Baltimore.

To the best of my recollection, virtually every major city inside the four corner points of Washington, St. Louis, Chicago, and Boston had domestic 707 service from TWA and/or American, and many also saw Northwest‘s jets ... my next wild guess here is Atlanta/ATL, with a TAP flight coming in from Lisbon/LIS

Perhaps you'd find more success looking west of the Great Lakes

85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.
British Airways, East African, Ghana, Gulf Air and Air Malawi have been identified.Just one more to go...

Having once again perused a map of Africa, I will offer that the last airline was Air Rhodesia

Now I am almost certain that Air Rhodesia never operated a VC10 (but who knows - what with all the short term leases of various jet aircraft to African airlines back in the day). In any event, the airline we're looking for was based a considerable distance to east of Rhodesia.

Please, guess again!
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.
British Airways, East African, Ghana, Gulf Air and Air Malawi have been identified.Just one more to go...

Now I am almost certain that Air Rhodesia never operated a VC10 (but who knows - what with all the short term leases of various jet aircraft to African airlines back in the day). In any event, the airline we're looking for was based a considerable distance to east of Rhodesia.
East of then Rhodesia and it wasn't Air Ceylon? Only places remaining would be Mauritius so Air Mauritius? Doubt it would have been Air R______ or Air S_______.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:48 pm

a little bit of research reveals that trip (to Bermuda, Jamaica, and Panama) occurred in late Nov 1953; if she traveled by air, she would have have been aboard either a Vickers Viking or an Avro York of the RAF Royal Flight
That trip was actually made on a BOAC Stratocruiser. BOAC had a VIP pod that would be substituted for the forward seating, a technique that lasted to the end of VC-10 days, with some mods made to the selected aircraft in the fleet as well. G-AKGK Canopus was the one chosen from the Strats, which is why it turns up on other royal flights as well.

The RAF Royal Flight was always only short-haul aircraft, which is not to say they weren't often sent hopping round the world in advance to cover short local legs in a tour.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

East of then Rhodesia and it wasn't Air Ceylon? Only places remaining would be Mauritius so Air Mauritius?

YES!! Air Mauritius it is!!! Unfortunately, I don't believe the VC10 - leased from BOAC - ever wore Air Mauritius' livery. The weekly flights operated on the Mauritius-Nairobi-London route.

Air Ceylon leased a VC10 from BOAC in the mid-sixties (not sure how long, but not in effect per the 1976 schedules I used to reference this question). In 1977 it again leased a VC10 - this time from Gulf Air. I have a postcard of the aircraft which wore Air Ceylon titles over Gulf Air's livery.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That trip was actually made on a BOAC Stratocruiser. BOAC had a VIP pod that would be substituted for the forward seating...
Are there any pictures of this pod out there? For either the Strat or the VC10 or both!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 23, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old Aug 23, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, gang - here are the remaining questions

12. (2003) What a night! That little white ball was practically on fire as you burned up the roulette tables at Mandalay Bay to the tune of over $38000.00! So what the heck – why not fly back home to Burbank in First Class? As things turned out, there’s just one flight a day that even offers First Class between Las Vegas and Burbank and you’ve called just in time to purchase the last available seat. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

30. (1990) As a lifelong resident of south Florida, you’ve often had occasion to visit Mexico’s Caribbean coast via Merida and Cancun. This time however, you’re headed for the other side of Mexico, to Guadalajara in the western state of Jalisco. And this won’t be a vacation trip either. No – you’re looking to invest in a new boutique tequila operation being fronted by your friend Guillermo Paz, a well-known star of Mexican stage and cinema. Guillermo knows his agave and you’re looking forward to learning more about the operation. Although you were expecting to make at least one connection, you’re surprised to discover a single daily one stop direct flight. Ay yi yi! Vamanos!! Identificar la aerolínea, la parada en ruta y el tipo de avión.

33 . (2003) You had a helluva time getting from New York down to Los Cabos, what with a broken down airplane and a missed connection, but your travel travails were well worth it given the wonderful week of sun and fun that you’ve enjoyed. And, as if things couldn’t get any better, you’ve been upgraded to First Class on your two-stop direct flight back to JFK. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll return home on as well as the two enroute stops.

The following questions are all sourced from a 1976 International OAG

73. What is the largest jet serving Kabul, Afghanistan? Which airline operates it?

75. Aside from TU-144 SST flights operating to Alma-Ata,what is another unique and surprising aspect of jet service into Moscow, USSR in 1976?

79. I’ve found two countries that have more than two airlines based in each country that operate the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Identify each country and its respective Electra Operators. One country has three operators, the other has four.
A N S W E R E D

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. This includes both domestic and International flights. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this lone 707 flight. The flight in question is an international flight of over 4000 miles...
Vancouver has been correctly identified. The flight in question does not originate from Asia...
The airline of record is Qantas

A N S W E R E D British Airways, East African, Ghana, Gulf Air, Air Mauritius and Air Malawi have been identified.

87. (The WHBM Special) What is the longest twin jet flight out of London Gatwick? Please identify airline, aircraft and of course, the route.
A N S W E R E D

Bonus Question 87B: What is the longest NONSTOP twin jet flight out of London Gatwick? Remember, back in 1976, most international flights over 1200 miles were flown with four engine jets. Please identify the airline and aircraft as well.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 25, 2020 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
well, here we go on another day of random wild guessing ... and here's hoping jlemon is able to ride out the impending storm(s) safely

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
79. I’ve found two countries that have more than two airlines based in each country that operate the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Identify each country and its respective Electra Operators. One country has three operators, the other has four.
79- for the country with three Electra operators, I'll guess Australia (Ansett, Trans-Australia, and Qantas) ... while I know that Seat 2A's source for this question was an international OAG, other than the U.S. (Air California, Air Florida, Reeve Aleutian, and PSA), I can't think of a country that might have had four airlines flying Electras

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. This includes both domestic and International flights. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this lone 707 flight. The flight in question is an international flight of over 4000 miles... It's west of the Great Lakes...
81- trying to remember if Nigeria Airways had started their Houston/IAH service in 1976 ... if so, it would be reasonable to speculate that this flight might have stopped at Sal, Cape Verde Islands (SID)
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, here we go on another day of random wild guessing ... and here's hoping jlemon is able to ride out the impending storm(s) safely

Indeed, all best wishes to JL and Kate. As of last night the reports were predicting as much as three feet of rain for the area. If true - that would be catastrophic in a lot of places, so here's hoping the storm changes course. As for you, J - your wild guesses have generally been pretty good. Kudos for having the gumption to wade in and give it a go!

For the country with three Electra operators, I'll guess Australia (Ansett, Trans-Australia, and Qantas) ... while I know that Seat 2A's source for this question was an international OAG, other than the U.S. (Air California, Air Florida, Reeve Aleutian, and PSA), I can't think of a country that might have had four airlines flying Electras

You're spot on with the US and the four relevant airlines that operated the Electra at that time. Australia however would appear to be one of those random wild guesses you mentioned earlier, especially since by 1976 all of the Australian airlines had retired their Electras except for freight use. So then, we're looking for another country - south of the equator if that's any help.

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. This includes both domestic and International flights. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this lone 707 flight. The flight in question is an international flight of over 4000 miles... It's west of the Great Lakes...

Trying to remember if Nigeria Airways had started their Houston/IAH service in 1976 ... if so, it would be reasonable to speculate that this flight might have stopped at Sal, Cape Verde Islands (SID)
Not a bad guess at all, but in 1976 Houston still had at least two 707 flights with Pan Am. Further west, please...
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:02 pm

What about Vancouver BC, with a twice-weekly CAAC flight from Beijing via Tokyo
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this 707 flight.

What about Vancouver BC, with a twice-weekly CAAC flight from Beijing via Tokyo

Vancouver is correct! However, we're looking for a different airline and destination. Per the schedule I reference no service is yet shown between Beijing (Then Peking in the schedules) and Vancouver

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 24, 2020 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

79. ... by 1976 all of the Australian airlines had retired their Electras except for freight use. So then, we're looking for another country - south of the equator if that's any help.
79- well, let's try a country that mostly meets that geographic constraint (and in all likelihood these airlines didn't actually operate their Electras in north latitudes in 1976) -- Brazil ... Varig, VASP, and Cruzeiro do Sul

81. ... in 1976 Houston still had at least two 707 flights with Pan Am. Further west, please...
disregard the following ... I forgot to refresh the page before hitting "submit reply", and there was a fair amount of discussion in the meantime that got MUCH closer to the right answer

81- so where would any other 4000-mile international services in 1976 have operated? I can't think of any long-haul international services at SAN, LAS, PHX, TUS, SLC, ABQ, or DEN; in ruling out other cities due to additional 707 service, I know we've talked about Western ANC-HNL on more than a few occasions, and certainly can't see a non-US carrier operating a turn at FAI; both LAX and SFO had domestic 707s (TW and AA, and likely WA to/from HNL); both DFW and SAT saw AA (and possibly BN) on both domestic and international flights; and recalling that my parents flew IAD-SEA on NW in 1978, I think that flight actually had a tag to PDX

so ... another entry in the Wild File ... during a time when WA upgauged ANC-HNL to a DC10, China Airlines was serving ANC as a technical stop en route to/from JFK, 1x/week in each direction; obviously they would have only had conditional stopover traffic rights (if any at all) on ANC-JFK

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 24, 2020 at 4:27 pm
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:18 pm

Vancouver has been correctly identified. The flight in question does not originate from Asia...
Could this be a Qantas 707 that comes from Sydney via Nadi, Honolulu and San Francisco ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.