Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
17, ​​dan

This is a bit too cryptic for me to decipher, but perhaps you missed my post above. To wit:

You know, the problem could be with me. It wouldn't be the first time It appears I should have said "first INDEPENDENT British airline" as both BOAC and BEA were government entities

As such, I'm concurring with the BEA Comet in 1960. Otherwise, amongst the independents British Eagle 707 in 1962
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I am curious about the answer to #9...
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
I am curious about the answer to #9...
After all the time I waste looking up stuff like this, I am loathe to just give the answer(s) away. For #9, the time line is 1960s, two different twinjets built by different manufacturers.
Both airlines were based west of Pennsylvania...
Old Apr 26, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Again, just an update - I should have a new set of questions available between May 15-20.

Anybody else got any queries, memories or stories?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, I was planning on taking an extended break from the OTAQ&D.....

However, as we have just returned from a superb birthday vacation on Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands bookended by a couple of nights at luxury hotels on the beach in San Juan (and also featuring roundtrip travel in F on AA between LFT and SJU plus a couple of rides on rather aged EMB-120 Brasilia propjets between San Juan and Tortola operated by InterCaribbean), I am prepared to submit a short list of new quiz questions.

So here we go. And the usual caveats apply with regard to submitting answers, of course....

1. It's 1959 and you are on your way from Dallas Love Field to Albuquerque on a milk run flight which makes five stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

2. Now you are in Amarillo and need to travel to Cleveland. It's 1968. You are going to have to make a connection and two airlines operating different aircraft types on respective milk run flights will be involved with your journey. Your first flight will make four stops en route and your second flight will make three stops en route. Name both air carriers, the stops made by the respective flights, the connecting airport and the equipment operated on each flight. ANSWERED

3. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Houston Intercontinental to New York Kennedy on board a DC-10 in 1974 what airline would you call? ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1975....

4. There's nothing like a good milk run flight. And in 1975 you have the opportunity to take not just one but two milk run flights on your journey from Chicago to El Paso. Two different airlines operating the same aircraft type will be involved. The first flight will make three stops en route and the second flight will make four stops en route. The complete answer will also include the airport you will depart from in Chicago. Identify both airlines, the stops made by each flight, the connecting airport and the equipment. ANSWERED

5. You are in Seattle and have been invited to join good friends on a vacation involving an extended canoe trip in exotic Labrador in eastern Canada. This means you will have fly to the airport serving Labrador City. Your trip will involve flights on three different air carriers each operating the same aircraft type. Your first flight will be nonstop, your second flight will make one stop en route and your third flight will be nonstop. The complete answer will also include the airport serving Labrador City with regard to your third flight. Name all three airlines, the two connecting airports, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; May 19, 2023 at 5:34 pm Reason: answer updates & clarification & added several hints
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, I was planning on taking an extended break from the OTAQ&D.....

However, as we have just returned from a superb birthday vacation on Virgin Gorda ... I am prepared to submit a short list of new quiz questions ...

1. It's 1959 and you are on your way from Dallas Love Field to Albuquerque on a milk run flight which makes five stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment.
welcome back jlemon!
1- let's kick things off with Continental, operating a Viscount with stops at:
  1. Fort Worth/ACF
  2. Abilene/ABI
  3. Midland-Odessa/MAF
  4. El Paso/ELP
  5. Alamogordo/ALM
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
welcome back jlemon!
1- let's kick things off with Continental, operating a Viscount with stops at:
  1. Fort Worth/ACF
  2. Abilene/ABI
  3. Midland-Odessa/MAF
  4. El Paso/ELP
  5. Alamogordo/ALM
1. You are off to a great start here as it was indeed Continental with a "Viscount II".

However, your last three stops are incorrect.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome back, JL ! I hope you and LK had a great trip. And now for a nice relaxing Vermillion River cruise...

3. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Houston Intercontinental to New York Kennedy on board a DC-10 in 1974 what airline would you call?

Let's go with Delta operating one of its five leased United DC-10s...

BTW, I seem to recall Continental serving JFK briefly, but I think it was out of HNL in the 80s... maybe even 90s...
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Welcome back, JL ! I hope you and LK had a great trip. And now for a nice relaxing Vermillion River cruise...

3. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Houston Intercontinental to New York Kennedy on board a DC-10 in 1974 what airline would you call?

Let's go with Delta operating one of its five leased United DC-10s...

BTW, I seem to recall Continental serving JFK briefly, but I think it was out of HNL in the 80s... maybe even 90s...
3. Correct! Here's the Delta sched...

DL 1022: Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 12:25p - 4:25p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch (with Royal Service in F)
Equip: DC-10

In 1974, this was the only nonstop service operated by Delta from IAH to JFK. The other two daily nonstops operated by DL from Houston to New York City were both flown into LGA with 727-200 equipment. However, in 1973 Delta was not operating nonstop service between IAH and LGA but was instead operating three daily nonstops from IAH to JFK, one with a Douglas DC-8, one with a Convair 880 and one with a Boeing 727-100 (the 727 was inherited from Northeast). And way back in 1959 when Delta first began operating nonstop service between Houston and New York City, they did so with one daily roundtrip flight between HOU and IDL operated with a Douglas DC-7B.

As for Continental serving New York Kennedy, I do know they were doing so in 2005 with one daily roundtrip nonstop flight between IAH and JFK operated with a Boeing 737-500. I was thinking about possibly taking this flight in order to connect with Concorde service operated by Air France from JFK to CDG. At the time, one could have redeemed a mere 100,000 Continental OnePass miles for a IAH - JFK - CDG itinerary including a roundtrip flight between New York and Paris on the Concorde and, of course, F on the CO flights between IAH and JFK. However, I did not take advantage of this and I sure wish I had!
Seat 2A and joejones like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
1- well now, if the Viscount didn’t go all the way to MAF, perhaps it put down at Big Spring/BPG, with Lubbock/LBB and Roswell/ ROW as the remaining stops
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- well now, if the Viscount didnít go all the way to MAF, perhaps it put down at Big Spring/BPG, with Lubbock/LBB and Roswell/ ROW as the remaining stops
1. You are getting closer as one of the stops we are looking for was indeed Lubbock....although LBB wasn't the fourth stop.

However, the Continental flight in question did not stop in Big Spring or Roswell.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- if LBB was the last stop before ABQ, the candidate stops after ABI would be San Angelo/SJT, Wichita Falls/SPS, and Amarillo/AMA … any combination of these would result in a routing with a lot of backtracking, which really wasn’t a characteristic of CO

so let’s look at DAL-ACF-ABI-LBB

we’ve eliminated both ALM and ROW … I honestly don’t remember CO serving Hobbs/HOB or Carlsbad/CNM; I suspect Cannon AFB might have generated a fair amount of traffic into and out of Clovis/CVN, so I’ll offer that as the next stop

CO had a respectable presence at Colorado Springs/COS, and the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) operations centers would have been responsible for a lot of traffic there, but again the north/south backtracking seems odd

so perhaps the last stop was Santa Fe/SAF
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 - so let’s look at DAL-ACF-ABI-LBB … I honestly don’t remember CO serving Hobbs/HOB or Carlsbad/CNM; I suspect Cannon AFB might have generated a fair amount of traffic into and out of Clovis/CVN, so I’ll offer that as the next stop ... so perhaps the last stop was Santa Fe/SAF
1. Yep, that's the routing we are looking for with regard to the Continental flight in question....although the airport used by this service in Clovis wasn't the municipal airport (CVN) located there; it was actually Cannon Air Force Base (CVS). More concerning this in a moment. Here's the sched.....

CO 233: Dallas Love Field (DAL) 5:50p - 6:05p Fort Worth Amon Carter Field (ACF) 6:25p - 7:13p (est.) Abilene (ABI) 7:23p - 8:06p Lubbock (LBB) 8:26p - 8:10p (est.) Clovis Cannon Air Force Base (CVS) 8:20p - 9:25p (est.) Santa Fe (SAF) 9:35p - 9:59p Albuquerque (ABQ)
Freq: Daily
Service class: A
Meal service: Dinner ACF-ABI
Equip: JET POWER VISCOUNT II (Vickers 812 Viscount)

Note that Amon Carter Field serving Fort Worth would eventually be renamed Greater Southwest International Airport and also be assigned a new identifier: GSW. And BTW, Continental was indeed serving both Carlsbad and Hobbs in New Mexico in 1959 but not with the Viscount. CO was instead operating DC-3 service into CNM and HOB on a milk run flight between Kansas City and El Paso. As for the Continental service into Clovis, it appears the airline used Cannon Air Force Base (CVS) instead of the local municipal airport (CVN) for operational reasons. In other words, CO apparently did not think CVN could handle the Viscount. And in later years when Texas International introduced the DC-9 into Clovis, TI operated its jet service from Cannon Air Force Base as well.

Here's a photo of a CO Viscount 812 at Dallas Love Field....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Cont...count/128846/L

Continental began phasing out the Viscount from its fleet during the mid 1960's. It has been reported that eleven CO Viscount 812 aircraft were acquired by Channel Airways in the UK. And as you can see from this photo, Channel Airways did not change the basic Continental livery very much and also referred to these aircraft as the "Golden Viscount"....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Chan...ount/1201561/L

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 28, 2023 at 11:09 am Reason: fixed photo link
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At the time, one could have redeemed a mere 100,000 Continental OnePass miles for a IAH - JFK - CDG itinerary including a roundtrip flight between New York and Paris on the Concorde and, of course, F on the CO flights between IAH and JFK. However, I did not take advantage of this and I sure wish I had!
That's a pretty amazing deal there, JL. I think I'd still be suffering sleepless nights over having missed out on that one.

There were some incredible deals early on in the Frequent Flyer Program award offerings. I remember when 100000 would get you not one but two round trip First Class awards on United between the U.S. and Sydney, Australia. One of my favorite awards - one that I redeemed six times - was from Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan. For a mere 20000 miles, you could have roundtrip First Class roomette anywhere along the route of Amtrak's Coast Starlight. All meals were included and back then the CS still had the fabulous Pacific Parlour Cars

Still. I remember when having 100000 miles in my account seemed like an abundance of riches. After I redeemed 150000 for my first R/T First Class award on BA from Alaska to Australia back in 2002, I had a mere 3000 miles left in my account. Now, I feel like I need to start earning again anytime my account drops below about 600000. It's still pretty amazing how much mileage could be earned via Covid related promotions over the past three years. Even with my three Business Class trips to Bali this year, plus the Business Class award on Qatar Airways to Jordan and First Class on BA back to Alaska, I still have over 900000 miles left in the bank.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(1975) 5. You are in Seattle and have been invited to join good friends on a vacation involving an extended canoe trip in exotic Labrador in eastern Canada. This means you will have fly to the airport serving Labrador City. Your trip will involve flights on three different air carriers each operating the same aircraft type. Your first flight will be nonstop, your second flight will make one stop en route and your third flight will be nonstop. The complete answer will also include the airport serving Labrador City with regard to your third flight. Name all three airlines, the two connecting airports, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment.
5- the ultimate destination is Wabush, Newfoundland

I can’t in any way envision Air Canada running a DC-8 into YWK, so if that’s the airline of record for the last segment the aircraft was either a 727-200 or a DC-9-30; Eastern Provincial was a 737 operator, and Quebecair featured the BAC 1-11 and the 727-100

I’m going to drop the 1-11, 737, and D9S from further consideration because I can’t figure out how to put two of any type together on an itinerary originating SEA and terminating at a city with nonstop service to YWK — Montreal/YUL, Ottawa/YOW, and Toronto/YYZ being far more viable candidates than smaller cities closer to Wabush

I’ll offer the 72S as my first guess: Western to Minneapolis/ MSP, United to YYZ via Chicago/ORD, and finally AC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.