Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

14- Frontier MD-80 OMA-SNA with two stops, one being DEN, one not being LAS ... let's go with Lincoln NE (LNK) as the first stop

24- SFO-OAK MD-80, not CO, not US ... the hint about "positioning flight" suggests Chester on the tail (i.e., Alaska)
14. Correct! Here's the sched.....

FL 679: Omaha (OMA) 6:04p - 6:26p Lincoln (LNK) 6:53p - 7:08p Denver (DEN) 7:48p - 8:59p Orange County (SNA)
Freq: Daily
Equip: MD-80
Meal service: Snack LNK-DEN

24. Also correct! Here are the scheds....

TZ 466: Montego Bay (MBJ) 4:00p - 8:15p San Francisco (SFO)
Freq: Sundays only
Equip: B757-200

Connecting to....

AS 423: San Francisco (SFO) 9:15p - 9:40p Oakland (OAK)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Equip: MD-80

BTW, Alaska Airlines had a major maintenance base located at OAK at the time.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
6. If you wanted to fly out of Fort St. John, B.C. on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1973 what air carrier would you call? The Canadian-based airline in question wasn't Pacific Western and was only serving two other destinations besides Fort St. John at this time

The only other Electra operator that comes to mind is NWT Air for that part of Canada

9. It's 1975 and your friends who live in Coral Gables have once again invited you to their annual birthday party dinner. However, they will not be in Florida. The party will take place instead in Grand Cayman so you will need to make a same day connection from one airline to another. You are in Los Angeles and have plenty of time so how about starting your journey with a good old fashioned transcontinental milk run in first class? Ah, here's an interesting flight: you'll depart LAX at 7:00 am and arrive into your connecting airport that evening with five intermediate stops being made en route. Then, following a comfortable connecting time of two hours and 42 minutes, you'll board a nonstop flight to GCM arriving that night. So with all this in mind, name both airlines, all five stops in order made by the first flight, the connecting airport and the different aircraft types operated on each flight.

Five stops between LAX and MIA brings to mind Continental, so let's start with them. The routing would have been something like LAX-PHX-TUS-ELP-MAF (or LBB)-IAH-MIA. Hard to say on the aircraft as Continental operated the 720B, 727-200 and DC-10 into Miami back in the 70s. It's pushing it because it seems like CO retired its 720s about this time, but let's go with the 720B across the country connecting to a Cayman Airways BAC-111 into GCM
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. If you wanted to fly out of Fort St. John, B.C. on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1973 what air carrier would you call? The Canadian-based airline in question wasn't Pacific Western and was only serving two other destinations besides Fort St. John at this time

The only other Electra operator that comes to mind is NWT Air for that part of Canada

9. It's 1975 and your friends who live in Coral Gables have once again invited you to their annual birthday party dinner. However, they will not be in Florida. The party will take place instead in Grand Cayman so you will need to make a same day connection from one airline to another. You are in Los Angeles and have plenty of time so how about starting your journey with a good old fashioned transcontinental milk run in first class? Ah, here's an interesting flight: you'll depart LAX at 7:00 am and arrive into your connecting airport that evening with five intermediate stops being made en route. Then, following a comfortable connecting time of two hours and 42 minutes, you'll board a nonstop flight to GCM arriving that night. So with all this in mind, name both airlines, all five stops in order made by the first flight, the connecting airport and the different aircraft types operated on each flight.

Five stops between LAX and MIA brings to mind Continental, so let's start with them. The routing would have been something like LAX-PHX-TUS-ELP-MAF (or LBB)-IAH-MIA. Hard to say on the aircraft as Continental operated the 720B, 727-200 and DC-10 into Miami back in the 70s. It's pushing it because it seems like CO retired its 720s about this time, but let's go with the 720B across the country connecting to a Cayman Airways BAC-111 into GCM
6. Ah, it wasn't Northwest Territorial (NWT Air).

9. Continental operating a Boeing 720B from LAX to MIA is correct!

However, this flight did not stop at PHX or LBB.....but it did stop at TUS, ELP, MAF and IAH. So we are looking for one more stop here.

And Cayman Airways wasn't the air carrier operating the MIA - GCM flight.....although the airline in question did operate a BAC One-Eleven on their nonstop service from MIA to GCM.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
2. In 1963 this air carrier was operating "Sky-Bus" service between Miami and two cities located in the eastern U.S. The daily flight originated in Miami in the morning and flew nonstop to the first destination and then continued on to the second destination. Following a ground time of one hour and 18 minutes, the "Sky-Bus" service then returned to Miami in the afternoon by the same routing. Name the airline that operated this "Sky-Bus" service , the equipment and the two cities served from Miami.
2- I certainly remember this being United, with a single-class DC-6 ... not 100% sure about the destinations, but part of me wants to say Cleveland and Buffalo, so thats my opening salvo
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. Continental operating a Boeing 720B from LAX to MIA is correct! However, this flight did not stop at PHX or LBB.....but it did stop at TUS, ELP, MAF and IAH. So we are looking for one more stop here.

Must be Austin, as in LAX-TUS-ELP-MAF-AUS-IAH-MIA

And Cayman Airways wasn't the air carrier operating the MIA - GCM flight.....although the airline in question did operate a BAC One-Eleven on their nonstop service from MIA to GCM.

Only one other option then - LACSA
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
20. You are in Minneapolis/St. Paul and need to travel to Huntsville, Alabama in order to attend a symposium at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Ah, here's a convenient flight departing MSP at lunch time which will get you into HSV in time for dinner. Two stops will be made and you'll have on board snack service not once but twice. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft type.
20- hmmmmmmmm ... hows about Republic, via Chicago OHare (ORD) and Memphis (MEM), using a DC-9-10
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- I certainly remember this being United, with a single-class DC-6 ... not 100% sure about the destinations, but part of me wants to say Cleveland and Buffalo, so thats my opening salvo
2. United is correct! UA operated this flight with a "DC-6T" which their timetable listed as a Douglas DC-6 Coach Mainliner.

However, this flight did not serve Buffalo although it did serve Cleveland with CLE being the second stop. So we are still looking for the first stop on the originating northbound leg.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. Seat 2A has now nailed this one. Here are the scheds for Continental and LACSA......

CO 226: Los Angeles (LAX) 7:00a - 8:12a Tucson (TUS) 8:35a - 10:20a El Paso (ELP) 10:45a - 12:25p Midland/Odessa (MAF) 12:50p - 1:37p Austin (AUS) 2:00p - 2:35p Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 3:05p - 6:08p Miami (MIA)
Equip: Boeing 720B
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast LAX-TUS, Snack MAF-AUS, Snack IAH-MIA

Connecting to.....

LR 623: Miami (MIA) 8:50p - 9:10p Grand Cayman (GCM)
Freq: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
Service class: Y
Note: LR 623 operated continuing service to San Jose, Costa Rica
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20- hmmmmmmmm ... how’s about Republic, via Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Memphis (MEM), using a DC-9-10
20. A great guess! And the first stop was indeed Chicago O'Hare.

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Republic, the second stop wasn't Memphis and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-10.

Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- since CLE was the second stop, the logical first stop for this “Sky-Bus” DC-6T would certainly be Pittsburgh (PIT)
20- since ORD was the first stop, and the airline wasn’t RC, the logical operator would be either Northwest or United; since NW wasn’t in HSV, we’re left with UA ... let’s try a 727-22, with the second stop at Birmingham (BHM)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

20- since ORD was the first stop, and the airline wasnt RC, the logical operator would be either Northwest or United; since NW wasnt in HSV, were left with UA ... lets try a 727-22, with the second stop at Birmingham (BHM)
I think I've been on this flight. IF so, I remember routing ORD-ATL-HSV, on the aforementioned 727-22.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- since CLE was the second stop, the logical first stop for this “Sky-Bus” DC-6T would certainly be Pittsburgh (PIT)
20- since ORD was the first stop, and the airline wasn’t RC, the logical operator would be either Northwest or United; since NW wasn’t in HSV, we’re left with UA ... let’s try a 727-22, with the second stop at Birmingham (BHM)
2. Yep, you are correct! Here's the round trip sched for this United "Sky-Bus" service.....

UA 182: Miami (MIA) 8:45a - 1:45p Pittsburgh (PIT) 2:15p - 2:57p Cleveland (CLE)
Equip: DC-6T Coach Mainliner

UA 183: Cleveland (CLE) 4:15p - 6:00p Pittsburgh (PIT) 6:30p - 8:25p Miami (MIA)
Equip: DC-6T Coach Mainliner

20. It was indeed United operating a 727! However, the second stop wasn't BHM. And I see that Seat 2A has responded to this one as well.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 1, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I've been on this flight. IF so, I remember routing ORD-ATL-HSV, on the aforementioned 727-22.
20. Your memory serves you well, sir, as you are correct! Here's the sched......

UA 292: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 12:00n - 1:07p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 1:35p - 4:33p Atlanta (ATL) 4:55p - 4:37p Huntsville (HSV)

Freq: MSP-ORD Daily, ORD-HSV except Saturdays
Equip: 727
Meal service: Snacks MSP-ORD & ORD-ATL

Meantime, it's been a lazy day featuring a televised big parade (from my hometown of Pasadena) followed by televised football games accompanied by excellent Cajun cuisine and very lovely French champagne.

Happy New Year, Everyone!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10. It's a beautiful spring day in 1981 and you are in Washington, D.C. where you have just completed a project work assignment as an consultant. A good friend is getting married in Freeport, Illinois (which, by the way, is known as "Pretzel City, USA"). You have identified the closest airport to Freeport which has direct air service from the Washington, D.C. area and have booked a seat on a flight which will make two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the Washington area, the airport you will arrive into, the air carrier you'll be flying on, the two stops and the aircraft type.

This has got to be Ozark. From personal experience, I know Ozark operated into Washington Dulles, so let's reverse some of the route I flew in 1979 and go with IAD-CMI. From there, I have no idea. I started that day in 1979 out of PIA, so what the heck - we'll say IAD-CMI-PIA-Rockford with a DC-9-30
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. It's a beautiful spring day in 1981 and you are in Washington, D.C. where you have just completed a project work assignment as an consultant. A good friend is getting married in Freeport, Illinois (which, by the way, is known as "Pretzel City, USA"). You have identified the closest airport to Freeport which has direct air service from the Washington, D.C. area and have booked a seat on a flight which will make two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the Washington area, the airport you will arrive into, the air carrier you'll be flying on, the two stops and the aircraft type.

This has got to be Ozark. From personal experience, I know Ozark operated into Washington Dulles, so let's reverse some of the route I flew in 1979 and go with IAD-CMI. From there, I have no idea. I started that day in 1979 out of PIA, so what the heck - we'll say IAD-CMI-PIA-Rockford with a DC-9-30
10. Ah, but it wasn't Ozark....and this flight did not depart from Washington Dulles (IAD), did not stop in Champaign (CMI) or Peoria (PIA) and was not operated with a DC-9-30.

On the other hand, you have correctly guessed the arrival airport: Rockford (RFD).

Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:10 am Reason: clarification

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.