Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are a couple more questions to tide you all over for a spell. Educated guesses are always a good starting point. If we can get through these, I'll post a few more questions. If not, it may be time for a respite of sorts. Good luck, gang! Go get 'em!

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1985 OAG

1. It's 1985 and Air Canada and Delta have offered nonstop flights from Tampa and Miami up to Montreal for years. Alas, the same cannot be said for service out of Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando which have never benefited from scheduled nonstop service. Until recently, that is. A new service provides twice weekly flights from each city nonstop to Montreal. Identify the airline and the equipment it employs on each route.
HINT: These flights were both operated with the same aircraft type
2. Passengers flying between Detroit and Tampa have a multitude of options. Five airlines offer either nonstop or direct flights between the two cities. That’s great, but your aunt lives across the bay over in St. Petersburg – just a few blocks from St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport. The last time you visited her, only regional airlines served that airport. What a pleasant surprise then to discover a two-stop flight direct departing DTW at 650a and arriving PIE at 115p – just in time for a leisurely lunch by the bay. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the equipment used.
A N S W E R E D

3. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline...

4. You always knew that your degree in agricultural sciences from Florida State would serve you well someday. Look at you now: manager of the Southwest Nebraska Soy Cooperative – Nebraska’s largest – located just outside Grand Island, Nebraska. When an opportunity arises to fly back to Tallahassee for a get together with fellow alums from the Ag Department, you are thrilled at the opportunity to indulge in your other passion – air travel. Just last week you scored a used OAG from the local travel agency which has allowed you to put together a fantastic trip involving five different airlines. Not only that, but each flight will utilize the same type of aircraft which just happens to be your favorite. Check out this itinerary:

Only one airline serves Grand Island with jets. Starting Monday afternoon, you’ll board one of its flights - a one stop service to Chicago where you’ll join friends for dinner at the renowned Palmer House. Tuesday morning, it’s off to O’Hare for an 8:25am departure to Indianapolis. Arriving at Indy’s Weir Cook International Airport at 9:10am, you’ve got plenty of time to connect to your next flight to Columbus since the minimum published connection time between the two airlines you’re flying is 20 minutes. Following a nice lunch with the Dean of Ohio State’s Ag Department, it’s back to the airport for a mid-afternoon departure to Ft. Lauderdale. A single stop is made along the way. You’ll spend the night with an old friend in Hollywood before relocating to nearby Miami International on Wednesday morning for your one stop flight to Tallahassee.

The correct answer to this question will involve:
  • Properly identifying each of the five airlines
  • Identifying the single equipment type operated throughout this journey
HINT: We're looking for just one aircraft type here, so that's a big hint when you consider some of the cities served.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS FROM 1988

5. In the old days, flying aboard a one stop DC-9-10 between Atlanta and Newark would not have been worthy of comment. By 1988 however, Delta and Eastern had long since sold off their Baby Nines in favor of DC-9-30s and Boeing 727s. There is however one airline upon which you can still fly aboard a DC-9-10 between Atlanta and Newark. It operates one flight per day and a single intermediate stop is made. As an added bonus, a snack is offered along the way. Identify the airline and the intermediate stop.

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

6. It’s been a wonderful flight so far… cocktails, a delicious dinner, a movie… and still an hour and a half left in the flight. Why not head upstairs to The Captain’s Lounge for a drink? What airline are you flying upon?
HINT: This airlines' menus from the mid-seventies are very popular on ebay

7. On what aircraft type and route did Aeronaves de Mexico introduce First Class service for the first time?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 28, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. Passengers flying between Detroit and Tampa have a multitude of options. Five airlines offer either nonstop or direct flights between the two cities. That’s great, but your aunt lives across the bay over in St. Petersburg – just a few blocks from St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport. The last time you visited her, only regional airlines served that airport. What a pleasant surprise then to discover a two-stop flight direct departing DTW at 650a and arriving PIE at 115p – just in time for a leisurely lunch by the bay. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the equipment used. HINT: This was flown with a twin engine aircraft
how about PeoplExpress with a 737-200 (possibly even a -100), stopping (of course) at their Newark hub ... we had a recent question or two about PE segments that didn’t touch EWR, and in digging around a bit I discovered a likely candidate for this one — Syracuse

7. On what aircraft type and route did Aeronaves de Mexico introduce First Class service for the first time? HINT: The flight originated in Mexico
the year is unknown, but I think I’ll start the bidding with a Britannia operating MEX-IDL (New York Idlewild)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Welcome back, J. You're off to a great start!

2. Passengers flying between Detroit and Tampa have a multitude of options. Five airlines offer either nonstop or direct flights between the two cities. That’s great, but your aunt lives across the bay over in St. Petersburg – just a few blocks from St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport. The last time you visited her, only regional airlines served that airport. What a pleasant surprise then to discover a two-stop flight direct departing DTW at 650a and arriving PIE at 115p – just in time for a leisurely lunch by the bay. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the equipment used. HINT: This was flown with a twin engine aircraft

How about PeoplExpress with a 737-200 (possibly even a -100), stopping (of course) at their Newark hub ... we had a recent question or two about PE segments that didn’t touch EWR, and in digging around a bit I discovered a likely candidate for this one — Syracuse

PeoplExpress is spot on, J. As is the 737-100/200. As is Newark. However, Syracuse was not one of the stops. If it's any help, Newark was the first stop upon departing Detroit. Care to have a guess at that second stop?

7. On what aircraft type and route did Aeronaves de Mexico introduce First Class service for the first time?
HINT: The flight originated in Mexico

The year is unknown, but I think I’ll start the bidding with a Britannia operating MEX-IDL (New York Idlewild)

Somebody ate their Wheaties this morning. Or huevos rancheros as it were. The year was 1957 and First Class service commenced between Mexico City and New York IDL followed by Acapulco to Los Angeles.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:25 pm

Here are a couple more questions to tide you all over for a spell. Educated guesses are always a good starting point. If we can get through these, I'll post a few more questions. If not, it may be time for a respite of sorts. Good luck, gang! Go get 'em!

1. Air Canada and Delta have offered nonstop flights from Tampa and Miami up to Montreal for years. Alas, the same cannot be said for service out of Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando which have never benefited from scheduled nonstop service. Until recently, that is. A new service provides twice weekly flights from each city nonstop to Montreal. Identify the airline and the equipment it employs on each route.

2. Passengers flying between Detroit and Tampa have a multitude of options. Five airlines offer either nonstop or direct flights between the two cities. That’s great, but your aunt lives across the bay over in St. Petersburg – just a few blocks from St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport. The last time you visited her, only regional airlines served that airport. What a pleasant surprise then to discover a two-stop flight direct departing DTW at 650a and arriving PIE at 115p – just in time for a leisurely lunch by the bay. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the equipment used.
HINT: This was flown with a twin engine aircraft
Greetings from Denver where I arrived around 17:40 on a United 738. Onwards to SFO tomorrow.

1. Sunwing from YUL to Ft. Lauderdale and Air Transat to Orlando. Both using 737-800s.

2. Could this be Allegiant Air with MD80.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum
6. It’s been a wonderful flight so far… cocktails, a delicious dinner, a movie… and still an hour and a half left in the flight. Why not head upstairs to The Captain’s Lounge for a drink? What airline are you flying upon?
Can I have a stab at Qantas? They had a Captain Cook Lounge.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
5. One stop DC9 service from ATL to EWR: I'll guess Midwest Express via an intermediate stop at the YX hub at MKE. If so, aircraft would have been configured with around 60 seats in a 2-2 layout with the service featuring the "Best Care in the Air". I enjoyed my flights on Midwest Express....it was a great little airline.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Greetings from Denver where I arrived around 17:40 on a United 738. Onwards to SFO tomorrow.

Sounds like fun, KT. Will you have a chance to get into Denver or just be making an overnight connection? Either way, happy contrails!

1. Air Canada and Delta have offered nonstop flights from Tampa and Miami up to Montreal for years. Alas, the same cannot be said for service out of Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando which have never benefited from scheduled nonstop service. Until recently, that is. A new service provides twice weekly flights from each city nonstop to Montreal. Identify the airline and the equipment it employs on each route.

Sunwing from YUL to Ft. Lauderdale and Air Transat to Orlando. Both using 737-800s.

My bad, KT! This was a question that went unanswered a couple of months ago and when I re-posted it yesterday, I neglected to add the relevant date. That date was 1985. Based upon today's schedules your answer may very well be correct. In fact, I just checked FLL-YUL on travelocity and found Air Transat does indeed operate a nonstop. No sign of Sunwing on either route. Are they operating charters?

Getting back to 1985, care to have another guess at the carrier and aircraft type we're looking for?

Could this be Allegiant Air with MD80.

This question was also based upon 1985 schedules. jrl767 has beaten you to this one by correctly identifying PeoplExpress as the airline of record and the 737-100/200 as the aircraft utilized. The first stop was made in Newark, but the second remains as yet unknown.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole

The upstairs lounge we're looking for is close in name, but it is not the Qantas lounge. No, the upstairs lounge we're looking for was actually called "The Captain's Lounge" and was atop a 747 operated by a U.S. based airline. Please, guess again!

BTW, the Captain Cook's Lounge was indeed upstairs on the 747 while the Captain's Club served as Qantas' airport based premium lounges. I had the good fortune to enjoy both back in the 70s and 80s.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
5. In the old days, flying aboard a one stop DC-9-10 between Atlanta and Newark would not have been worthy of comment. By 1988 however, Delta and Eastern had long since sold off their Baby Nines in favor of DC-9-30s and Boeing 727s. There is however one airline upon which you can still fly aboard a DC-9-10 between Atlanta and Newark. It operates one flight per day and a single intermediate stop is made. As an added bonus, a snack is offered along the way. Identify the airline and the intermediate stop.

One stop DC9 service from ATL to EWR: I'll guess Midwest Express via an intermediate stop at the YX hub at MKE. If so, aircraft would have been configured with around 60 seats in a 2-2 layout with the service featuring the "Best Care in the Air". I enjoyed my flights on Midwest Express....it was a great little airline.

An excellent guess, Sir - and one I would have liked to have flown - but no, it was not Midwest Express and its delicious chocolate chip cookies. We're looking for another DC-9-10 operator that routed its one stop a bit more in line along the ATL-EWR route. Please - do guess again!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
2- there's a little voice in the back of my head saying Charlotte (CLT), but I'm going to pay attention to the louder one saying Baltimore (probably BWI, although this was right around the time that the code changed from BAL) ...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
2- There's a little voice in the back of my head saying Charlotte (CLT), but I'm going to pay attention to the louder one saying Baltimore (probably BWI, although this was right around the time that the code changed from BAL) ...
You're geographically very close - close enough that if I leave it at that we'll just be wasting time for you to have to post the obviously next best and correct answer - which is Washington Dulles (IAD).
BWI was Piedmont territory!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1985 OAG
1. It's 1985 and Air Canada and Delta have offered nonstop flights from Tampa and Miami up to Montreal for years. Alas, the same cannot be said for service out of Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando which have never benefited from scheduled nonstop service. Until recently, that is. A new service provides twice weekly flights from each city nonstop to Montreal. Identify the airline and the equipment it employs on each route.

3. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline...

4. You always knew that your degree in agricultural sciences from Florida State would serve you well someday. Look at you now: manager of the Southwest Nebraska Soy Cooperative – Nebraska’s largest – located just outside Grand Island, Nebraska. When an opportunity arises to fly back to Tallahassee for a get together with fellow alums from the Ag Department, you are thrilled at the opportunity to indulge in your other passion – air travel. Just last week you scored a used OAG from the local travel agency which has allowed you to put together a fantastic trip involving five different airlines. Not only that, but each flight will utilize the same type of aircraft which just happens to be your favorite. Check out this itinerary:
Only one airline serves Grand Island with jets. Starting Monday afternoon, you’ll board one of its flights - a one stop service to Chicago where you’ll join friends for dinner at the renowned Palmer House. Tuesday morning, it’s off to O’Hare for an 8:25am departure to Indianapolis. Arriving at Indy’s Weir Cook International Airport at 9:10am, you’ve got plenty of time to connect to your next flight to Columbus since the minimum published connection time between the two airlines you’re flying is 20 minutes. Following a nice lunch with the Dean of Ohio State’s Ag Department, it’s back to the airport for a mid-afternoon departure to Ft. Lauderdale. A single stop is made along the way. You’ll spend the night with an old friend in Hollywood before relocating to nearby Miami International on Wednesday morning for your one stop flight to Tallahassee.

The correct answer to this question will involve:
  • Properly identifying each of the five airlines
  • Identifying the single equipment type operated throughout this journey

HINT: We're looking for just one aircraft type here, so that's a big hint when you consider some of the cities served.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS FROM 1988

It's not Northwest or Midwest Express... It's DC-9s were very colorful though

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

6. It’s been a wonderful flight so far… cocktails, a delicious dinner, a movie… and still an hour and a half left in the flight. Why not head upstairs to The Captain’s Cabin for a drink? What airline are you flying
upon?
HINT: It was not American or Pan Am
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 29, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:02 pm

Sounds like fun, KT. Will you have a chance to get into Denver or just be making an overnight connection? Either way, happy contrails!

Sunwing from YUL to Ft. Lauderdale and Air Transat to Orlando. Both using 737-800s.

My bad, KT! This was a question that went unanswered a couple of months ago and when I re-posted it yesterday, I neglected to add the relevant date. That date was 1985. Based upon today's schedules your answer may very well be correct. In fact, I just checked FLL-YUL on travelocity and found Air Transat does indeed operate a nonstop. No sign of Sunwing on either route. Are they operating charters?

Getting back to 1985, care to have another guess at the carrier and aircraft type we're looking for?

Could this be Allegiant Air with MD80.

This question was also based upon 1985 schedules. jrl767 has beaten you to this one by correctly identifying PeoplExpress as the airline of record and the 737-100/200 as the aircraft utilized. The first stop was made in Newark, but the second remains as yet unknown.
I thought it a bit strange that some modern questions had appeared. I used flightmapper.net for the current schedules.
Despite having toured round much of the U.S. before, it was my first visit to downtown Denver proper as far as I can remember. Train to Union Station and stayed on 15th St.
A Virgin America A320 took me to SFO (though technically AS now).
Just back from seeing Spyro Gyra play at Yoshi's in Oakland. A group of musicians who don't seem to play much in Europe, so thought I'd make the effort.
Home tomorrow on the non stop OAK-LGW BA 777.
KT

P.S. I hadn't noticed that jrl767 had already posted an answer. Trying to read this on mobile phone and tablet is driving me nuts.

Last edited by KT550; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:35 pm Reason: P.S. added
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: FB Platinum

The upstairs lounge we're looking for is close in name, but it is not the Qantas lounge. No, the upstairs lounge we're looking for was actually called "The Captain's Lounge" and was atop a 747 operated by a U.S. based airline. Please, guess again!

BTW, the Captain Cook's Lounge was indeed upstairs on the 747 while the Captain's Club served as Qantas' airport based premium lounges. I had the good fortune to enjoy both back in the 70s and 80s.
OK - got it; it was American Airlines.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:49 am

It's time to close out the Frontier route swap question.

Frontier agreed to swap their Dallas-Albuquerque-Las Vegas route with American Airlines, in exchange for AA's SAN-PHX / TUS routes. The exchange would have given Frontier its first city on the Pacific coast, and given American two more spokes from their Dallas hub.

The CAB rejected the proposal. However, when airlines were allowed to claim other carriers' dormant routes after deregulation, AA picked up these routes, and has flown them ever since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.