Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Many thanks t.o jlemon for this most recent set of well crafted questions. Here's hoping he and Lady K have a great time out in the Caribbean. ^

I have a few questions I'd be willing to submit (unless there's a big outcry to the contrary, of course) but they'll have to wait until at least May 1st. At present I'm rolling across northern Indiana on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited and will continue on rolling across the great plains, through the Rockies, across the Great American Basin and on over the Sierra Nevada's to California before connecting to the northbound Coast Starlight up to the Emerald City. We have Wi-Fi on this train but I'm fairly certain it will be inconsistent to nonexistent west of Chicago.

In the meantime, the door is always open to any of you who'd like to take up the reins with your own set of questions. Have a good week and maybe I'll check back next month.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And we have now returned from a lovely birthday vacation on Providenciales island in the Turk & Caicos. We experienced good service up in the front cabin on all three of our AA flights yesterday to include PLS-MIA operated with a B737-823, MIA-DFW operated with a B757-223 (international version with lie-flat seats in first) and DFW-LFT operated with a CRJ900.

Plus, here's a hot tip concerning Providenciales: the incomparable Las Brisas restaurant on the bay. We had our birthday dinner at this fine establishment last week and the food, wine and ambience were all, quite simply, superb!

^:-:^:-:^:-:^:-:^:-:^ We are talkin' Five Stars here! El Jefe Lemon cordially suggests you check 'em out!

So as we await the return of Seat 2A, here's a quick set of five new quiz items all with a tropical theme....

1. In 1952 this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Tampa and Grand Cayman. Name the air carrier.

2. It's 1957 and two air carriers are flying direct, one stop service once a week from Nassau to Havana. Airline number one operates on Thursdays and airline number two operates on Sundays. Both flights have the same departure and arrival times, both flights make the same intermediate stop and both flights are operated with the same aircraft type. Identify both airlines, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

3. In 1966 Air Jamaica advertised round flights between Kingston and both New York JFK and Miami. Both round trip services made a stop in Montego Bay in each direction. However, Air Jamaica did not actually operate these flights. Airline number one flew the KIN-MBJ-JFK service and airline number two flew the KIN-MBJ-MIA service. Identify both airlines as well as the respective aircraft type each operated on these services. ANSWERED

4. During the year, in 1985 three different airlines operated jet service between Miami and Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos. Name all three air carriers and the equipment each flew on the route. ANSWERED

5. It's 1989 and you are in La Romana in the Dominican Republic. You need to travel to San Juan for a meeting and have booked a seat on the first nonstop flight of the day which operates daily except on Sundays. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying?

Last edited by jlemon; May 4, 2018 at 1:51 pm Reason: "answered" updates
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
3. In 1966 Air Jamaica advertised round flights between Kingston and both New York JFK and Miami. Both round trip services made a stop in Montego Bay in each direction. However, Air Jamaica did not actually operate these flights. Airline number one flew the KIN-MBJ-JFK service and airline number two flew the KIN-MBJ-MIA service. Identify both airlines as well as the respective aircraft type each operated on these services.
welcome back!

3- if I recall correctly, JM was initially set up as a joint venture between the government of Jamaica, BOAC, and BWIA, but didn’t begin operating as an independent entity for a year or so; it would make sense that those “parent” airlines actually flew the routes in an early instantiation of code-sharing ... I’d guess BA ran a 707 to JFK, and BW ran a 727 to MIA

Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
2. It's 1957 and two air carriers are flying direct, one stop service once a week from Nassau to Havana. Airline number one operates on Thursdays and airline number two operates on Sundays. Both flights have the same departure and arrival times, both flights make the same intermediate stop and both flights are operated with the same aircraft type. Identify both airlines, the stop and the equipment.
This was British Overseas Airway Corporation and Cubana de Aviacion with a stop in Varadero, Cuba on a Vickers Viscount
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

welcome back!

3- if I recall correctly, JM was initially set up as a joint venture between the government of Jamaica, BOAC, and BWIA, but didn’t begin operating as an independent entity for a year or so; it would make sense that those “parent” airlines actually flew the routes in an early instantiation of code-sharing ... I’d guess BA ran a 707 to JFK, and BW ran a 727 to MIA

Thanks, jrl767!

3. BOAC and BWIA are correct! And the northbound service operated by BOAC to JFK actually did not make a stop at Montego Bay. Here are the scheds from the summer of 1966.....

JM 473: New York (JFK) 10:30 - 13:10 Montego Bay (MBJ) 13:40 - 14:10 Kingston (KIN)
Op: Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: 707
Service classes: F/Y
Note: operated by BOAC

JM 474: Kingston (KIN) 15:00 - 19:40 New York (JFK)
Op: Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: 707
Notes: operated by BOAC & Passengers from Montego Bay returning to New York should board southbound JM 473 and return via Kingston. During the winter of 1966/1967, Air Jamaica four-times-a-week service from New York will be increased to daily.

JM 403: Miami (MIA) 09:00 - 10:15 Montego Bay (MBJ) 10:40 - 11:15 Kingston
Op: Daily
Equip: 727 (series -100)

JM 402: Kingston (KIN) 11:45 - 12:10 Montego Bay (MBJ) 12:35 - 13:50 Miami (MIA)
Op: Daily
Equip: 727

BWIA was also operating a weekly round trip 727 service on Wednesdays only MIA-MBJ-KIN at this time on behalf of Air Jamaica.

Plus, this from the Air Jamaica spring/summer 1966 system timetable:

To augment the airline facilities presently available, the Government of Jamaica will launch regularly scheduled jet air service between the United States and Jamaica on May 1, 1966 with its own national flag air carrier, Air Jamaica.

All Air Jamaica employees have been previously trained through their association with British Overseas Airways Corporation and British West Indian Airways.

BOAC, the first major trunk airline to link the United States and Jamaica, is completing its 14th year of scheduled services. BWIA has been flying between Miami and Jamaica since 1949, and throughout the long chain of Caribbean Islands for 26 years.

Air Jamaica will operate from J.F. Kennedy Airport in New York and from the Miami International Airport to Kingston and Montego Bay. Services will be operated by BOAC from New York with Boeing 707 jetliners and BOAC flight crews. From Miami, services will be operated for Air Jamaica by BWIA with Boeing 727 aircraft and BWIA flight crews.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
This was British Overseas Airway Corporation and Cubana de Aviacion with a stop in Varadero, Cuba on a Vickers Viscount
2. Correct! The following scheds are actually taken from a BWIA system timetable; however, I believe BOAC still controlled BWIA at this time and that the BOAC flight was operated with a BOAC aircraft and flight crew.

BA 443: Nassau 11:00 - 12:00 Varadero 12:40 - 13:00 Havana
Op: Thursdays only
Equip: Vickers Viscount
Class of service: F

CU 443: Nassau 11:00 - 12:00 Varadero 12:40 - 13:00 Havana
Op: Sundays only
Equip: Vickers Viscount
Class of service: F
Old May 1, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. During the year, in 1985 three different airlines operated jet service between Miami and Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos. Name all three air carriers and the equipment each flew on the route.

Welcome back, JL! I just got back home last night and this morning I opened my windows to see - snow! It's snowing lightly and is expected to continue throughout the day. It'll probably be 60 degrees next week.

As to your question referenced above, I seem to recall having posed a similar question once, but the only airline I can remember is Air Florida. In any event, let's go with:

Air Florida 737-200
Cayman Airways 727-200
Bahamasair 737-200
Old May 1, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. During the year, in 1985 three different airlines operated jet service between Miami and Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos. Name all three air carriers and the equipment each flew on the route.

Welcome back, JL! I just got back home last night and this morning I opened my windows to see - snow! It's snowing lightly and is expected to continue throughout the day. It'll probably be 60 degrees next week.

As to your question referenced above, I seem to recall having posed a similar question once, but the only airline I can remember is Air Florida. In any event, let's go with:

Air Florida 737-200
Cayman Airways 727-200
Bahamasair 737-200
Welcome home yourself there, sir!

Quiz item 4......

Air Florida 737-200 - Ah, I believe Air Florida went out of business in 1984. However, I also believe they did serve Providenciales with the 73S prior to ceasing operations.

Cayman Airways 727-200 - Correct! I believe KX operated both nonstop and one stop 72S service between PLS and MIA with the one stop flight being operated via nearby Grand Turk (GDT).

Bahamasair 737-200 - I do not believe they were serving PLS with jet flights at this time, although I know Bahamasair did operate nonstop PLS-MIA as well as nonstop PLS-NAS service with the 73S during the 1990s.

Please guess again!
Old May 3, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So we know Cayman's good with the 72S. Beyond that, I'm just blindly tossing darts here, but then it's never bothered me all that much to be wrong. At least in this context. So then, let's add these two choices to the mix:

Pan Am 727-200
Air Jamaica 727-200
Old May 3, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we know Cayman's good with the 72S. Beyond that, I'm just blindly tossing darts here, but then it's never bothered me all that much to be wrong. At least in this context. So then, let's add these two choices to the mix:

Pan Am 727-200
Air Jamaica 727-200
4. Well, one of your darts has found the bulls-eye as Pan Am is indeed correct! Here's the round trip sched from December of 1985....

PA 417: Miami (MIA) 1:00p - 2:25p Providenciales (PLS)
Op: Mondays and Saturdays only
Equip: 72S
Service in F/Y: Cold snack & beverages

PA 418: Providenciales (PLS) 3:05p - 4:35p Miami (MIA)
Op: Mondays and Saturdays only
Equip: 72S
Service in F/Y: Beverages

And as for Air Jamaica.....please guess again, sir! Here's a hint: the equipment was a twin engine jet.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a hint: the equipment was a twin engine jet.
Hmm... foreign or U.S. built?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... foreign or U.S. built?
An excellent question, sir.....and it is safe to say the airplane in question was not manufactured on the west coast of the U.S.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:54 am

An excellent question, sir.....and it is safe to say the airplane in question was not manufactured on the west coast of the U.S.
I was going to answer this yesterday but didn't want to steal Seat 2A's prize.
I'll give him a couple more hours as it's early in AK.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
I was going to answer this yesterday but didn't want to steal Seat 2A's prize.<br />I'll give him a couple more hours as it's early in AK.
KT, I would take no offense whatsoever if you were to answer this question anytime you're ready and at your leisure, especially given my intermittent internet access. That said, JL has provided a pair of valuable clues that have saved me from flailing about with guesses like an Eastern DC-9. Of course EA did operate the A300 but I don't see that airplane in Providenciales.

So we're looking for an airline operating a foreign built twin jet. Foreign built back in 1985 would most likely have been the BAC-111. If so, I'm going to go with an airline that was part of a 5 part answer to one of my recent questions - that airline being...Atlantic Gulf. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 12:50 pm

KT, I would take no offense whatsoever if you were to answer this question anytime you're ready and at your leisure, especially given my intermittent internet access. That said, JL has provided a pair of valuable clues that have saved me from flailing about with guesses like an Eastern DC-9. Of course EA did operate the A300 but I don't see that airplane in Providenciales.

So we're looking for an airline operating a foreign built twin jet. Foreign built back in 1985 would most likely have been the BAC-111. If so, I'm going to go with an airline that was part of a 5 part answer to one of my recent questions - that airline being...Atlantic Gulf. Wish me luck!
I've just re-read Mr. Lemon's clue properly and suffice to say it's a good job I didn't wade in with a ridiculous answer yesterday!

I think you're going to be correct with Atlantic Gulf.

KT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.