Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

56. Remember the good old days when each of the big three offered multiple 747 flights between Los Angeles and New York? Those were the days, alright! These days just two airlines offer nonstop 747 flights between Los Angeles and the New York area. Please identify them.

Per jlemon: I'll guess People Express flying LAX-EWR and Tower Air flying LAX-JFK.

You've got one of them right. Check out jrl767's post for more information...
56. Alex, I'll stick with Tower Air for $500. And in this round of Double Jeopardy, I'll instead select TWA for the really big money.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
56. Remember the good old days when each of the big three offered multiple 747 flights between Los Angeles and New York? Those were the days, alright! These days just two airlines offer nonstop 747 flights between Los Angeles and the New York area. Please identify them.

Per jlemon: Alex, I'll stick with Tower Air for $500. And in this round of Double Jeopardy, I'll instead select TWA for the really big money.

I'm sorry, JL, but if its Jeopardy we're playing you must present your answer in the form of a question. Additionally, TWA is not the airline we're looking for. For what it's worth, neither is Tower Air. Please, ask again!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
56- sooooooo ... for the tap-in ... PA and PE
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Per jrl767: Sooooooo ... for the tap-in ... PA and PE

There you are! I was wondering where you'd gotten off to - lurking quietly while awaiting just such a moment! PA and PE are correct - and with that another question bites the dust!

Next!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1984 OAG

55. Normally you’d look to TWA for flights between Las Vegas, NV and Columbus, OH. TWA still offers flights via a connection in St. Louis, but the only direct service between these two cities is now offered via a single daily one stop flight with another airline not usually associated with this route. Identify the airline, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used
A N S W E R E D

57. Flights around the U.S. Northeast are fairly short and with multi-stop flights slowly disappearing as a result of the Hub & Spoke system currently in vogue, you’re surprised to discover a two-stop gem between Cleveland and Boston operated by a regional airline with a comfortably sized aircraft that most anyone can stand straight up in. Identify the airline, the aircraft and enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

58. From Boston it’s on to Detroit, with four airlines offering nonstop flights and one airline operating a two-stop gem. So- this is a two part question. First, identify the four airlines offering nonstop flights and second, identify the separate airline, routing and equipment operating the two stop flight. G’wan, now. You can do this!

59. You’re in Chicago and you need to fly to Los Angeles. These days most of the nonstop flights are operated with wide-bodied equipment. Wide-bodies are all well and good but you’d really like to catch a few more flights aboard DC-8s while they’re still flying. After a bit of research, you find a great connection involving two different airlines - each of them operating the stretched version of the DC-8. The connection is through a city that is geographically convenient and would be a normal connecting point for the ORD-LAX market. So then, can you identify both airlines and the connection point?
A N S W E R E D

60. You’re in Burbank, CA and you need to fly to the Grand Canyon. You find an alluring connection via Las Vegas, Nevada that allows you to fly upon two British built aircraft with just a single connection. One of the aircraft is a fairly recent model while the other is somewhat older. Identify the airlines and respective aircraft involved.
A PSA BAe-146 will get you to Las Vegas. Still looking for the flight to the Grand Canyon

62. A buddy has just called with tickets to Gonzaga’s weekend home game against Pepperdine. Wanna go? What sport is it? Basketball. Pepperdine actually fields a basketball team? Hmm… Well, alright, then. There’s only one nonstop flight a day from Fairbanks to Seattle and it leaves at 7:00am. That’s too early. You’re about to bag it when your travel agent calls back to advise you that there’s a daily direct flight from Fairbanks to Spokane that departs at a civilized hour but makes three stops before arriving in Spokane. Three stops, eh? Is there a meal? Yes. And, First Class is available. Hmm… Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops, then get back with me if you still want to go.

63. Who’d’ve thought that you could fly aboard a pair of stretch DC-8s from Nassau in the Bahamas all the way to Denver, Colorado via a single well-timed connection. Total travel time is just 8 hours. Two airlines are involved and the connection time is an hour and 25 minutes. Identify both airlines and the connecting city.
A N S W E R E D

66. Flying between West Palm Beach and Oklahoma City can be a convoluted and time consuming process at the best of times, so you’re surprised to learn that your upcoming trip between these two cities can actually be accomplished via a daily two stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type utilized. For an additional cyber pat on the back, identify the city this flight continues on to from OKC.
A N S W E R E D

68. The most popular flights between New York and San Francisco are the nonstops that operate out of JFK and Newark. However, your home in Jackson Heights is a lot closer to New York’s LaGuardia Airport which has no nonstop flights and a total of just three direct flights. With unpleasant memories of your last connection through Chicago’s O’Hare still lingering, you’d prefer a direct flight, hopefully one that doesn’t make too many stops enroute. You’re in luck! A post-deregulation airline has recently started serving LGA and offers a one-stop direct flight departing LaGuardia at 9:39am and arriving San Francisco at 2:05pm. Better yet, Breakfast and lunch will be served along the way. Book it, please. Which airline will you be flying, where will you stop and what type of aircraft will you be flying upon?

69. For those flying between Minneapolis and Florida, most travelers need look no farther than Northwest or Republic Airlines for the most convenient schedules, including many nonstop and direct flights. The one city that is not well served is Jacksonville – a city of nearly one million people that from Minneapolis has no nonstop flights and only one direct flight. That direct flight makes one intermediate stop and is not with either NW or RC. Identify the relevant carrier, the enroute stop and the aircraft operated.
It was not OZ, PI or UA. It was operated with a 737-200...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 19, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

66. Flying between West Palm Beach and Oklahoma City can be a convoluted and time consuming process at the best of times, so you’re surprised to learn that your upcoming trip between these two cities can actually be accomplished via a daily two stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type utilized. For an additional cyber pat on the back, identify the city this flight continues on to from OKC.
66. Sure sounds like a start up air carrier that operated a small hub at MSY at one point and also had a cloud motif livery painted on some of their aircraft: Northeastern International. The aircraft type was most likely a Boeing 727 operating a routing of West Palm Beach (PBI) - Orlando (MCO) - New Orleans (MSY) - Oklahoma City (OKC). And this flight probably continued on to Tulsa (TUL).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

57. Flights around the U.S. Northeast are fairly short and with multi-stop flights slowly disappearing as a result of the Hub & Spoke system currently in vogue, you’re surprised to discover a two-stop gem between Cleveland and Boston operated by a regional airline with a comfortably sized aircraft that most anyone can stand straight up in. Identify the airline, the aircraft and enroute stops.
57. And the wild guesses continue: Empire operating a Fokker F28 Fellowship on a routing of Boston (BOS) - Albany (ALB) - Syracuse (SYR) - Cleveland (CLE).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1984 OAG
59. You’re in Chicago and you need to fly to Los Angeles. These days most of the nonstop flights are operated with wide-bodied equipment. Wide-bodies are all well and good but you’d really like to catch a few more flights aboard DC-8s while they’re still flying. After a bit of research, you find a great connection involving two different airlines - each of them operating the stretched version of the DC-8. The connection is through a city that is geographically convenient and would be a normal connecting point for the ORD-LAX market. So then, can you identify both airlines and the connection point?
59. I would think that by 1984 this would have to be UA & DL. I seem to remember UAL DC-8-71s being occasional visitors to DFW in the 1980s and of course DL had a hub there. So I'm going with UA ORD-DFW connecting to DL DFW-LAX.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 1984
55. Normally you’d look to TWA for flights between Las Vegas, NV and Columbus, OH. TWA still offers flights via a connection in St. Louis, but the only direct service between these two cities is now offered via a single daily one stop flight with another airline not usually associated with this route. Identify the airline, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used.
55- how about a 727-200 ... Eastern, stopping (where else?) in Atlanta (ATL)
69. For those flying between Minneapolis and Florida, most travelers need look no farther than Northwest or Republic Airlines for the most convenient schedules, including many nonstop and direct flights. The one city that is not well served is Jacksonville – a city of nearly one million people that from Minneapolis has no nonstop flights and only one direct flight. That direct flight makes one intermediate stop and is not with either NW or RC. Identify the relevant carrier, the enroute stop and the aircraft operated.
69- I think a likely suspect is an Ozark DC-9-30 operating via (where else?) St Louis (STL)
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon: Sure sounds like a start up air carrier that operated a small hub at MSY at one point and also had a cloud motif livery painted on some of their aircraft: Northeastern International. The aircraft type was most likely a Boeing 727 operating a routing of West Palm Beach (PBI) - Orlando (MCO) - New Orleans (MSY) - Oklahoma City (OKC). And this flight probably continued on to Tulsa (TUL).

Yep, Northeast International it was, operating a 727-100. QS operated 727s, a DC-8-62 and even an A300 - all in a variety of liveries. Its most well known was probably the cloud livery that graced two of its 727s. My one flight with QS was between MIA and PIE aboard an ex-Pan Am 727-100 painted in a more conservative striped blue livery. That was a nice day of flying as I connected at PIE to a Florida Express BAC-111. Anyway, here's the schedule for the above referenced flight between PBI and OKC...

Northeast International QS 145 West Palm Beach (PBI) 730a – 815a Orlando (MCO) 840a – 915a S New Orleans (MSY) 1010a – 1150a S Oklahoma City (OKC) 1220p – 1250p Tulsa (TUL) Daily 727-100

Per jlemon: And the wild guesses continue: Empire operating a Fokker F28 Fellowship on a routing of Boston (BOS) - Albany (ALB) - Syracuse (SYR) - Cleveland (CLE).

Not so wild. I seem to recall Empire operating into Cleveland at one time but - for the purposes of this question - we're looking for a different airline, routing and aircraft. Please, guess again.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per Herb687: I would think that by 1984 this would have to be UA & DL. I seem to remember UAL DC-8-71s being occasional visitors to DFW in the 1980s and of course DL had a hub there. So I'm going with UA ORD-DFW connecting to DL DFW-LAX.

You've got one of the airlines correct, Herb, but here's the catch - there was yet another airline operating scheduled passenger services in the continental U.S. with the stretch 8 back in 1984. That's one of the airlines we're looking for - plus one of the two you've mentioned above. Additionally, the connection point is a different city than DFW.

I know I speak for many when I say we look forward to your next guess!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

55. Normally you’d look to TWA for flights between Las Vegas, NV and Columbus, OH. TWA still offers flights via a connection in St. Louis, but the only direct service between these two cities is now offered via a single daily one stop flight with another airline not usually associated with this route. Identify the airline, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used.

Per jrl767: How about a 727-200 ... Eastern, stopping (where else?) in Atlanta (ATL)

Right airline, wrong stopover city, J. Even so, this should now be a simple mop up operation for a man of your prodigious talents. Go for it! (Aircraft was a 727-100)

Per jrl767: I think a likely suspect is an Ozark DC-9-30 operating via (where else?) St Louis (STL)

Ozark does sound good, doesn't it? Still, a check of the routings shows most of Ozark's flights out of MSP ending up in places like SAT or DFW. In this case, we're looking for a different airline, aircraft and routing. Please, guess again!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Per Herb687: I would think that by 1984 this would have to be UA & DL. I seem to remember UAL DC-8-71s being occasional visitors to DFW in the 1980s and of course DL had a hub there. So I'm going with UA ORD-DFW connecting to DL DFW-LAX.

You've got one of the airlines correct, Herb, but here's the catch - there was yet another airline operating scheduled passenger services in the continental U.S. with the stretch 8 back in 1984. That's one of the airlines we're looking for - plus one of the two you've mentioned above. Additionally, the connection point is a different city than DFW.

I know I speak for many when I say we look forward to your next guess!
Apart from DL & UA, I can't remember any other Mainland US scheduled passenger airline flying DC-8s by 1984. I know there were some oddball mostly charter operators with passenger DC-8s (Transamerica?) and at one point MGM Grand Air had luxury DC-8-62 service JFK-LAX. Backtracking through NYC was ruled out so it's not MGM Grand Air.

Thus, I will go with the third US scheduled passenger airline despite its Hawaii base. Perhaps Hawaiian flew one-stop XXX-LAX-Hawaii using a DC-8-62 or -63. The Ninth Island is as good a guess as anywhere so here goes: UA ORD-LAS connecting to HA LAS-LAX?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

55- LAS-XXX-CMH: EA had established a mini-hub at Kansas City (MCI)
69- MSP-XXX-JAX ... how about United with a 737-200 via Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Herb687: Apart from DL & UA, I can't remember any other Mainland US scheduled passenger airline flying DC-8s by 1984. I know there were some oddball mostly charter operators with passenger DC-8s (Transamerica?) and at one point MGM Grand Air had luxury DC-8-62 service JFK-LAX. Backtracking through NYC was ruled out so it's not MGM Grand Air.

Thus, I will go with the third US scheduled passenger airline despite its Hawaii base. Perhaps Hawaiian flew one-stop XXX-LAX-Hawaii using a DC-8-62 or -63. The Ninth Island is as good a guess as anywhere so here goes: UA ORD-LAS connecting to HA LAS-LAX?

I like your thinking on this one, Herb. You've actually got the correct routing and airline - United - between Chicago and Las Vegas. However, per the OAG I reference, Hawaiian Air was not yet flying between Hawaii and the US Mainland. Additionally - I stand corrected: Besides Delta and United, there were not one but two airlines operating scheduled DC-8-61 flights on routes within the continental United States. One of those other two airlines is the one we're looking for between Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Here's how the itinerary shapes up so far:

UA 131 Chicago (ORD) 845a – 1020a B Las Vegas (LAS) D8S Daily

?? XXX Las Vegas (LAS) 1100a – 1159a Los Angeles (LAX) D8S Op. Mon Thu Fri Sun

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.