Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
10. Four different airlines have painted “logo-jets” affiliated with the same NFL franchise. The NFL franchise in question was founded in 1960 and has won multiple Super Bowls. Three of these airlines painted full on “logojets” while the other airline affixed a large sticker of the team emblem on the fuselage of two different aircraft types over the years. Identify each airline and the aircraft type utilized as a logo jet.
I wasn't planning on trying any more of these logo jet questions for a few more days until I saw your message that you're pulling the questions soon. I've been stewing on #10 since you released the question set...hoping that someone else would set it in motion. But, alas, here's a hail Mary attempt from yours truly.

Raiders (Oakland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas)

Full paint jobs
Allegiant -- A320
Viva Aerobus -- A320
Air Asia -- A340

Logo sticker only
Hawaiian -- A330 and A321
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
8. This airline had five logo-jets promoting three NFL teams, one MLB baseball team and one NBA basketball team. All of the logo-jets were the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the five sports teams.

Airtran DC9-30 (either delivered as such and renamed to 717s or delivered as 717s...not sure)

Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Indianapolis Colts

Orlando Magic

Milwaukee Brewers

You aced the teams, moondog! A HOME RUN!!! You definitely need to brush up on your aircraft history though. About 30 years separate the DC-9-30 and the 717 - originally marketed as the MD95. No conversions were involved because they are two completely different airplanes. Similar looking, yes, with a shared DC-9 heritage - but otherwise 30 years of technological improvements in the 717

10. Four different airlines have painted “logo-jets” affiliated with the same NFL franchise. The NFL franchise in question was founded in 1960 and has won multiple Super Bowls. Three of these airlines painted full on “logojets” while the other airline affixed a large sticker of the team emblem on the fuselage of two different aircraft types over the years. Identify each airline and the aircraft type utilized as a logo jet.

I wasn't planning on trying any more of these logo jet questions for a few more days until I saw your message that you're pulling the questions soon. I've been stewing on #10 since you released the question set...hoping that someone else would set it in motion. But, alas, here's a hail Mary attempt from yours truly.

Raiders (Oakland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas)

Full paint jobs
Allegiant -- A320
Viva Aerobus -- A320
Air Asia -- A340

Logo sticker only
Hawaiian -- A330 and A321

CORRECT!!/ The Pride & Poise Boys. Well... sometimes...uhm, well, historically.

However, the Allegiant Air jet is an A319

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/p...h4qucyhxotoujr

Hopefully my Broncos get good enough someday to get a logojet of their own!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 6, 2023 at 12:41 am
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
17. What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?

I'm sure the most obvious answer is wrong but just to start eliminating some candidates I will make the obvious guess: BEA with a Trident.

Way to get the ball rolling here, Herb. Thank you for that. I would've also figured BEA (Better Eat Afterwards) once upon a time, but this subject came up in a somewhat different context in our questions four or five years ago and as such indicated that we're looking at a different airline. There really aren't too many other choices, though... I see you sorting this one out shortly!
Old Apr 7, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
17. What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ? It was not BEA
27. This airline is said to be the first in the UK to employ jet aircraft exclusively on all UK domestic flights. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it was using on those domestic flights
I think the answer to both of these is British United
17- VC-10
27- BAC One-Eleven
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
While we're in that part of the world...

2 - the BAC Three-Eleven, which was basically a BAC One-Eleven scaled up.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:47 pm

Aside: Trying out GPT-4 on airline trivia and it still sucks when it comes to getting basic facts right. When I fed it Question 17:
The first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. (British Overseas Airways Corporation) to use jets on revenue passenger flights was British European Airways (BEA). BEA introduced the de Havilland Comet 4B jetliner into commercial service on April 1, 1960. The aircraft was initially deployed on the London Heathrow Airport to Rome Ciampino Airport route, marking the beginning of the jet age for BEA and expanding jet travel within Europe.​​​
The first sentence is wrong (apparently -- but I can't seem to find the right answer). The second sentence is right. The third sentence is questionable--Wikipedia says they started operations to several destinations with five Comets, though I can't find any definitive info as to which flight was the very first.

Last edited by joejones; Apr 7, 2023 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in responding, gang! I hired a car for an 8 hour trip up the coast of Bali yesterday and when I got home, the internet was slower than molasses. Seems okay today tho -

Originally Posted by jrl767
17. What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?
It was not BEA

I think the answer to both of these is British United, in this case a VC10

An excellent guess, J However, the airline we're looking for was not BUA and the aircraft involved was not a VC10. In fact, the airline involved did not ever operate a VC10.

You'll get it next guess!

27. This airline is said to be the first in the UK to employ jet aircraft exclusively on all UK domestic flights. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it was using on those domestic flights

I think the answer to this is British United operating a BAC One-Eleven

WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (Or in this case maybe some fish and chips)

https://cayzer.com/business/aviation...nited-airways/

https://dbpedia.org/page/British_United_Airways

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 8, 2023 at 5:23 am
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
2. This proposed widebody – based upon a twin engine aircraft already in service – was on the drawing boards during the late 1960s. The project was shelved in 1970. Anybody know the manufacturer and name of this proposed aircraft?

While we're in that part of the world...

The BAC Three-Eleven, which was basically a BAC One-Eleven scaled up.

Correct! "Scaled up would seem to be putting it mildly though!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bac-Three-E.../dp/0752439138

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 7, 2023 at 10:51 pm
Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aside: Trying out GPT-4 on airline trivia and it still sucks when it comes to getting basic facts right. When I fed it Question 17:

What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?

The first sentence is wrong (apparently -- but I can't seem to find the right answer). The second sentence is right. The third sentence is questionable--Wikipedia says they started operations to several destinations with five Comets, though I can't find any definitive info as to which flight was the very first.

Yeah, we tend to take anything on Wikipedia with a grain of salt here. My initial source was an article in Britain's Airliner World magazine but I will also add

https://www.key.aero/article/cunards...eagle-and-boac

and

https://airwaysmag.com/cunard-britis...international/
Old Apr 8, 2023, 6:08 am

Warning: off-topic

I just pasted the question itself "What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?" into GPT4, and it gave me a slightly different answer:

The first airline in the UK, aside from BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation), to use jets on revenue passenger flights was British European Airways (BEA). BEA introduced the de Havilland DH.106 Comet, a four-engine jet airliner, into passenger service on May 2, 1952. The Comet was the world's first commercial jet airliner, and BEA was the first airline to operate it. The Comet's speed and range made it possible to offer non-stop flights on many routes, significantly reducing travel times. However, safety issues with the Comet's design led to a series of accidents, which prompted a redesign and ultimately allowed other jet airliners to gain a foothold in the market.
v what it told you:

The first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. (British Overseas Airways Corporation) to use jets on revenue passenger flights was British European Airways (BEA). BEA introduced the de Havilland Comet 4B jetliner into commercial service on April 1, 1960. The aircraft was initially deployed on the London Heathrow Airport to Rome Ciampino Airport route, marking the beginning of the jet age for BEA and expanding jet travel within Europe.​​​
I have no clue (at all) about the correct answer, but I use GPT4 (and similar) quite a bit and have learned the importance of prompt engineering, especially providing your bot with as much context as possible. Even simple tweaks, such as telling it that it is an esteemed aviation historian can lead to much better results. Furthermore, if you think any of its responses are lacking (or completely wrong), simply tell it and explain your rationale.

ETA: After posting the above, I told my bot that BEA was wrong (because Seat2A made this clear), it apologized, and gave me a different answer.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 8, 2023 at 6:19 am
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:30 am

So wait, what's the right answer to 17? I can't read the first linked article from Seat 2A because of the paywall, but it appears that each British airline's first jet was:
  • BOAC - Comet 1 - 1952
  • BEA - Comet 4B - 1960
  • Cunard Eagle - 707 - 1962
  • BUA - VC-10 - 1964
So did GPT-4 actually give me the right answer (while lying to moondog)? Or is there another airline that I'm missing here?

Last edited by joejones; Apr 8, 2023 at 8:27 am
Old Apr 8, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So wait, what's the right answer to 17? I can't read the first linked article from Seat 2A because of the paywall, but it appears that each British airline's first jet was:
  • BOAC - Comet 1 - 1952
  • BEA - Comet 4B - 1960
  • Cunard Eagle - 707 - 1962
  • BUA - VC-10 - 1964
So did GPT-4 actually give me the right answer (while lying to moondog)? Or is there another airline that I'm missing here?
You know, the problem could be with me. It wouldn't be the first time

It appears I should have said "first INDEPENDENT British airline" as both BOAC and BEA were government entities
joejones likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And then there were two...

In the 1960s, two U.S. airlines branded a jet aircraft type in their fleet using the exact same name. Each airline operated a different aircraft type titled as such. Identify each airline and the aircraft type so branded in its fleet

38. The Tuskegee Airmen was the famous all-black air force regiment made famous for their aerial and combat prowess during WWII. While many WWII era pilots went on to careers in the commercial airline industry, only one member of the Tuskegee Airmen was ever hired by a US commercial passenger airline. What airline was this?
It was a regional airline
Old Apr 9, 2023, 2:21 am

Deleted
Old Apr 9, 2023, 2:24 am

​​​​​
​dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.