Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. This airline had five logo-jets promoting three NFL teams, one MLB baseball team and one NBA basketball team. All of the logo-jets were the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the five sports teams.
Seat2A I want to guess Airtran DC-9 for this one because you've already told us they had 3 (not 4) NFL logo planes. If you can confirm that this puts us on the right track, I'll start throwing out teams (I already have some guesses in mind, but I don't want to clutter the thread.)
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
29. When the 747 was introduced in 1970, most airlines had it configured to carry about 350 passengers with a First Class lounge on the upper deck. So far as I know, only U.S. airlines offered coach lounges in their 747s. One airline claimed to offer a seating configuration that included not one but SIX lounges onboard. One upstairs, two in First Class on the main deck and three more back in Economy. Which airline was this?
747 Braniff Place - the most exclusive address in the sky?

33. When the Republic merger with Hughes Airwest was finally made official in 1983, the combined route network included service to all but thirteen states. Identify ALL of those states please.
14 out of 15 so far... The missing state is known for an annual spring event
First Saturday in May? Perhaps the missing state is Kentucky.

(I'm going to be disappointed though if it turns out that RC flew to CVG. As far as I'm concerned, that airport counts as Kentucky, not Ohio)
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Herb687
… First Saturday in May? Perhaps the missing state is Kentucky.

(I'm going to be disappointed though if it turns out that RC flew to CVG. As far as I'm concerned, that airport counts as Kentucky, not Ohio)
by the same logic as DCA and IAD — in Virginia by geography, even though associated with Washington DC (which of course has no airport within its actual boundaries)

per July 1983 OAG, RC indeed served CVG

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 2, 2023 at 10:43 pm Reason: add link info
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
by the same logic as DCA and IAD in Virginia by geography, even though associated with Washington DC (which of course has no airport within its actual boundaries)

per July 1983 OAG, RC indeed served CVG
In that case, I'll try NC for the final state in question 33.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
21. Identify the jetliner involved in the worlds first airmail to be transported by jetliner (not military jet). Bonus points if you know the route.
It was an international route involving the US

An obvious but probably incorrect answer would be a BOAC deHavilland Comet flying LHR to what is now JFK (IDL?)

I believe IDL is the correct airport (My information simply states that New York was the landing point. The aircraft was not a Comet but the event did take place in the 1950s.... Hmm...

29. When the 747 was introduced in 1970, most airlines had it configured to carry about 350 passengers with a First Class lounge on the upper deck. So far as I know, only U.S. airlines offered coach lounges in their 747s. One airline claimed to offer a seating configuration that included not one but SIX lounges onboard. One upstairs, two in First Class on the main deck and three more back in Economy. Which airline was this?

Only airline I remember even offering a lounge for economy/coach was CO (FWIW, DC-10 HNL-YVR) so guessing that it was Continental.

Truth be told, many US carriers had coach lounges on their 747s and indeed Continental had a couple nice ones - the Polynesian Pub and the Ponape Lounge for lowly K Class passengers. But the airline we're looking for here was not Continental. Please, guess again!
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
8. This airline had five logo-jets promoting three NFL teams, one MLB baseball team and one NBA basketball team. All of the logo-jets were the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the five sports teams.

I want to guess Airtran DC-9 for this one because you've already told us they had 3 (not 4) NFL logo planes. If you can confirm that this puts us on the right track, I'll start throwing out teams (I already have some guesses in mind, but I don't want to clutter the thread.)

Well, it is AirTran but as we are looking for COMPLETE answers at all times here, next time just throw it all out there and we'll sort it out from there. After 1843 pages and 500000+ hits, I don't think clutter really factors into it anymore. Dump the DC-9 though. That's not the canvas... Alright then - gimme you best guess at ALL FIVE teams now. No piecemeal stuff.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687

747 Braniff Place - the most exclusive address in the sky?

That's the one. Good call, Herb! Although my source was Airways Magazine's tribute edition to Braniff, here's a link to an interesting Facebook page that also describes this great plane.

https://www.facebook.com/braniffinte...150638/?type=3

33. When the Republic merger with Hughes Airwest was finally made official in 1983, the combined route network included service to all but thirteen states. Identify ALL of those states please.
14 out of 15 so far... The missing state is known for an annual spring event

First Saturday in May? Perhaps the missing state is Kentucky.

The missing state IS Kentucky

"Technically" "Technically" "Technically" "Technically" "Technically" I don't do "Technically" unless otherwise specified. And it ain't specified here. Yes, the airport is in Covington, KY but the city is Ohio and that's what I'm going by. So sue me. In the future I will do my best to insert all additional language specific to making it clear that technicalities need also be considered. Then again, maybe I should just get out of the question asking game.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
21. Identify the jetliner involved in the world’s first airmail to be transported by jetliner (not military jet). Bonus points if you know the route
If not BOAC with a Comet from LHR/LON, and NYC as a starting point in the '50s, Pan Am with a 707 to LBG?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
21. Identify the jetliner involved in the worlds first airmail to be transported by jetliner (not military jet). Bonus points if you know the route

If not BOAC with a Comet from LHR/LON, and NYC as a starting point in the '50s, Pan Am with a 707 to LBG?

Here's a huge hint: The aircraft was neither a 707 nor a DC-8. NYC was the destination.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 3:32 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
21. The wonderfully obscure Avro Jetliner, which never made it past the prototype phase. It was made in Canada, so I'm going to guess it flew from YUL to IDL.

6. One of them was a Cargolux 747-8, with a blue surgical mask painted on during COVID. No clue about the others though.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
21. Identify the jetliner involved in the world’s first airmail to be transported by jetliner (not military jet). Bonus points if you know the route

The wonderfully obscure Avro Jetliner, which never made it past the prototype phase. It was made in Canada, so I'm going to guess it flew from YUL to IDL.

Close enough at this point. The AVRO Canada C102 is CORRECT! However, it flew into IDL from YYZ. Here's some more reading -

https://airwaysmag.com/maiden-flight-avro-canada-c102/

6. Four airlines have painted masks on the noses of one of their airplanes. Identify each airline and the aircraft types so painted.

One of them was a Cargolux 747-8, with a blue surgical mask painted on during COVID. No clue about the others though.

You know, I was about to re-phrase the answer to this one as "Who Cares?" but yes, Cargolux's 747-400 is CORRECT!

Other examples include

Garuda 777-300 737-800

Pobeda 737-800

Kalitta 747-400F

I'll be flying aboard a Garuda A330 next week. Hopefully I'll get the retro aircraft
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If we've made no further progress by tonight (GMT+8), I'll pull these questions and turn the Q&A game over to one of you. I'll be back in Alaska by mid-April and at that time will put in some research on a batch of new schedule centric questions. I'll do my best to avoid situations where technicalities may pop up. That's on me and I apologize.

I might add research is one thing. Then I've got to formulate all the questions and transcribe the schedules attendant to the answers. Realistically we're probably looking at early to mid-May for my next batch.

Meanwhile, let's wish jlemon a happy birthday as he and the love of his life fly and then sail off into yet another beautiful Caribbean sunset or three. 'Ol JL's due a much deserved break from the OTAQ&D and we wish him well in his travels. He expects to rejoin us sometime in July.

I'm confident that between myself and a bunch of smart guys like you (I'm assuming there're no gals amongst our participants) ((But Gurlz are certainly welcome in our clubhouse !!)) that we can keep the OTAQ&D percolating along quite nicely.

If you've never posed a question - be it schedule or history oriented - now's a great opportunity to give it a try.

Additionally, being the Old Timers that we are - beneficiaries of the days when menus and trolleys and lounges and complimentary cigarettes and playing cards were commonplace in the cabins of US airliners, feel free to regale us with any memories you might have of the "Good Old Days".

I'll leave you with a trip report I wrote some years ago covering some of my travels 47 years ago...

Denver to Honolulu via Canada in 1976 (On a trip that was supposed to go to Mexico!) - FlyerTalk Forums

P.S. What exactly constitutes the "Good Old Days of commercial air travel? I don't know that there's any hard and fast answer. On the whole - in terms of more spacious seating and better meals domestically here in the U.S., I'd say anything prior to about 1990. But again, there's no hard and fast rule on this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 5, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. This proposed widebody – based upon a twin engine aircraft already in service – was on the drawing boards during the late 1960s. The project was shelved in 1970. Anybody know the manufacturer and name of this proposed aircraft?

A N S W E R E D

9. In the 1960s, two U.S. airlines branded a jet aircraft type in their fleet using the exact same name. Each airline operated a different aircraft type titled as such. Identify each airline and the aircraft type so branded in its fleet

10. Four different airlines have painted “logo-jets” affiliated with the same NFL franchise. The NFL franchise in question was founded in 1960 and has won multiple Super Bowls. Three of these airlines painted full on “logojets” while the other airline affixed a large sticker of the team emblem on the fuselage of two different aircraft types over the years. Identify each airline and the aircraft type utilized as a logo jet.
A N S W E R E D

17. What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?
It was not BEA

27. This airline is said to be the first in the UK to employ jet aircraft exclusively on all UK domestic flights. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it was using on those domestic flights

38. The Tuskegee Airmen was the famous all-black air force regiment made famous for their aerial and combat prowess during WWII. While many WWII era pilots went on to careers in the commercial airline industry, only one member of the Tuskegee Airmen was ever hired by a US commercial passenger airline. What airline was this?
It was a regional airline

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 6, 2023 at 12:45 am
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:45 pm

Airtran DC9-30 (either delivered as such and renamed to 717s or delivered as 717s...not sure)

Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Indianapolis Colts

Orlando Magic

Milwaukee Brewers
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
17. What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?
I'm sure the most obvious answer is wrong but just to start eliminating some candidates I will make the obvious guess: BEA with a Trident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.