Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by seat 2a
here i take a day off to drive down to denali and watch some football (broncos beat k.c.!) and look what i miss! It's always interesting and entertaining to read and enjoy the exchange of information on this thread. Thank you one and all!

Between working on a 60000+ word trip report, delivering neighbors to the airport, dealing with wildlife issues in and around my cabin (a moose temporarily took up residence in my drive and would not allow me to get to my truck) and now jury duty, i've been busy - but not so busy that i couldn't come up with a few more questions for this thread. Thanks again to jlemon for all of his hard work in coming up with new questions over the past four or five weeks. ^^

welcome to any and all new participants! as always, please limit your answers to two or three questions at a time so that others may also have a chance to participate.

the following 10 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1966 international oag

1. Name the three airlines that operated convair 880s between hong kong and taipei

2. What was the only airline operating scheduled dc-9 flights to/from africa? As an added bonus, what three cities were served by those dc-9s? (hint: They were in northern africa)

3. Sas operated one stop dc-8 service between copenhagen and los angeles. Where did that flight make an enroute stop?

4. Name the seven airlines that operated scheduled comet service to/from london heathrow.

5. What was korean air lines’ only international route from seoul? What type of aircraft did they use?

6. This west asian airline offered the only scheduled jet service from shanghai and canton, china. What airline was it? Added bonus if you can say where it flew to.

7. Name the three airlines that operated convair 990s into rio de janeiro.

8. Name the two airlines that operated caravelles from rio de janeiro

9. This african airline offered nonstop bristol brittania flights between this west african city and london, heathrow.

10. Beirut was a bit of a hotbed for boeing 720b services. Name the four airlines that served beirut with the 720b.

* * * x x x x x x x x x x x * * *

11. What well known south american airline’s acronym loosely translates into rio grande airlines?

12. What u.s. Passenger airline only operated its l-188 lockheed electras for cargo, not passengers? a n s w e r e d

13. What made the 707-420 different? Name five airlines that ordered it.

14. Which major u.s. Airline ordered boeing 720s before it ordered 707s?

15. This jet airplane was originally named the “skylark”. What better known name was it later given?

16. In 1977 this became the first airliner to carry over one billion passengers.

17. What was advertised as “the most exclusive address in the sky”? What was the address? a n s w e r e d

18. This aircraft’s prototype was known as the “367-80”. What was this aircraft better known as?

19. What airline was the world’s largest operator of boeing 727-200s?

20. How did the convair 240 get its name? I.e. What did the “240” represent?

the following 10 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 north american oag

21. What was allegheny airlines' only international route?

22. Name the seven u.s. Airlines that flew between the u.s. And mexico

23. Even though guadalajara is mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the united states. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used.

24. What was different and unique about braniff’s originally delivered 707s?

25. What was the only airline serving hobbs, new mexico a n s w e r e d

26. What was pacific western airlines’ only international route?

27. While anchorage was a major refueling point for international flights between europe and asia, only two airlines operated international flights from fairbanks. Identify the airlines and the routes flown.

28. In 1957 this team bought a commercial airliner direct from the manufacturer and became first in baseball team history to own their own airliner to transport the team. What team was it and what kind of airliner was it? a n s w e r e d

29. Although only three canadian airlines served the u.s. In 1970, nine u.s. Airlines served canada. Identify the nine u.s. Airlines.

30. Pan american operated a single daily flight from new orleans. Where did it fly to and what type of equipment was used?

21 eri-yyz
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
Excellent information concerning the Los Angeles Dodgers aviation transportation dept. ^

Looks like the Dodgers did not transition to the Electra II until November of 1961 and the airplane came used from Western.....
and its name was? and it was named for?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
and its name was? and it was named for?
"Kay O" in honor of the wife of Dodger President Walter O'Malley.....

My Mom, a very loyal Dodger fan until the day she passed away, thought the Electra should have been named "Vinny" in recognition of veteran Dodger sportscaster Vin Scully......
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
so this was 1969: I honestly can't remember many US domestic four-digit flight numbers in this timeframe ... seems like almost all have had four digits since about 1999

anyone else among the history buffs have any thoughts or insights?
Alaska Air appeared to be one of the few airlines using four digit flight numbers for all of its jet services at this time. In fact, according to the AS June 1, 1969 system timetable, all jet flights used "1800" series flight numbers. Here are all of the northbound Alaska Air jet flights at this time.....

AS 1867: SEA-SIT-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC-UNK-OME-OTZ (as previously discussed)

AS 1883: ANC-OTZ-OME

AS 1891: SEA-ANC-FAI

AS 1895: SEA-SIT-ANC-FAI

AS 1897: SEA-ANC-FAI

AS 1899: SEA-ANC-FAI

All southbound AS jet flights used "1800" series flight numbers as well.

At this time, Alaska Airlines was also operating flights using three digit flight numbers which indicated the actual equipment flown as noted by the first digit of the flight number. Here they are......

Series "100" flights: Grumman "Turbo Goose" turboprop amphibian aircraft

Series "200" flights: Convair 240 piston aircraft

Series "300" flights: Grumman Goose piston amphibian aircraft

Series "400" flights: DHC-6 Twin Otter turboprop aircraft

Series "500" flights: Super Catalina piston amphibian aircraft

As one can probably surmise, Alaska Air was a small airline at this time operating very few jet aircraft. In fact, as recently as 1981, Alaska Airlines was only operating sixteen (16) jet aircraft: six B727-200s, five B727-100s (including two B727-100C convertible aircraft) and three B737-200C convertible aircraft. This also marked the first time that AS had operated the Boeing 737......

And thus this lesson in airline trivia has endeth as it's time for the Saints vs. Seahawks game!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... 7. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 990s into Rio de Janeiro.
how about Varig and Swissair for two

...10. Beirut was a bit of a hotbed for Boeing 720B services. Name the four airlines that served Beirut with the 720B.
I will confidently guess Middle East, and speculate as to Olympic

...14. Which major U.S. airline ordered Boeing 720s before it ordered 707s?
Western seems to fit this since they didn't have the 707-347C in the fleet until the late 70s

...15. This jet airplane was originally named the “Skylark”. What better known name was it later given?
I'm almost positive this was the Convair 880 (although I can only associate a nickname with its sibling, the Convair 990 Coronado)

...30. Pan American operated a single daily flight from New Orleans. Where did it fly to and what type of equipment was used?
I seem to recall that PA flew a DC-8 MSY-MID (Merida, Mexico)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... And thus this lesson in airline trivia has endeth as it's time for the Saints vs. Seahawks game!
which thus far goeth very well for the denizens of the Pacific Northwest!
(SEA 17 NO 0 at the end of the first quarter)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
The following 10 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1966 International OAG

1. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 880s between Hong Kong and Taipei

CAT, Cathay, JAL

Correct! Every airline that flew the 880 in this part of the world operated it on this route. For those of you unfamiliar with CAT, that would be Formosa (Taiwan) based Civil Air Transport. It was the first airline to operate pure jet scheduled passenger services on regional routes in the Far East.

2. What was the only airline operating scheduled DC-9 flights to/from Africa? As an added bonus, what three cities were served by those DC-9s? (Hint: They were in northern Africa)

Probably KLM. Two of them likely Tunis and Tripoli. I think the only other possible contender so early in DC9 production could have been Swissair, and they used theirs on short routes only.

Both KLM and Swissair were operating the DC-9-10 (In 1966, that was the only type out there) but in the schedule that I have only KLM operated theirs to Africa. Tunis and Tripoli are correct, which leaves just one more city, just a bit farther to the east...

3. SAS operated one stop DC-8 service between Copenhagen and Los Angeles. Where did that flight make an enroute stop?

Seattle

This was a tough one. For years SAS did indeed route through Seattle, but in the 1966 schedules I have, they routed through another airport served only by SAS and one other airline that served this airport with helicopters...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by cs57
13. What made the 707-420 different? Name five airlines that ordered it.

The 707-420 was powered by Rolls-Royce engines. The type was operated by BOAC (BA) Air India, South African Airways, Qantas, and I believe Cathay Pacific.

In 1974, I took a Conway powered BA 707 r/t YUL/PIK/YUL as part of a student trip to Scotland. At Prestwick on the return trip was a VC10 next to us going to JFK (or BOS).

I have read somewhere that the Rolls Royce powered 707-420 series was offered as an inducement to get BOAC to buy the 707 (WHBM - any insight on this..?) I believe the Rolls Royce Conways were - early on at least - more powerful than the early Pratt & Whitneys being offered otherwise. The later turbofan JT3Ds were up in the 18000 lb thrust range, but the Conways weren't far behind and I think the ones that powered the VC10 were over 19000 lb thrust.

As to operators, BOAC and Air India are correct! So far as I know however, SAA, QANTAS and Cathay Pacific never operated the -400 variant. So - two airlines down - I can think of three more for sure, possibly four

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
21. What was Allegheny Airline’s only international route?

eri-yyz

Correct, served with a Convair 580.
Note: There'll be a lot less scrolling if we just drag and paste only the relevant questions, thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

14. Which major U.S. airline ordered Boeing 720s before it ordered 707s?

Western seems to fit this since they didn't have the 707-347C in the fleet until the late 70s

Western is indeed correct I'd totally forgotten about them, perhaps because I didn't consider them "major" at the time. They're big enough though, so that'll do. There's one more airline though, and it was definitely "major"...

15. This jet airplane was originally named the “Skylark”. What better known name was it later given?

I'm almost positive this was the Convair 880 (although I can only associate a nickname with its sibling, the Convair 990 Coronado)

The Convair 880 is correct! There was also another name given to the 880 before it became known as the 880... Any thoughts...?

30. Pan American operated a single daily flight from new Orleans. Where did it fly to and what type of equipment was used?

I seem to recall that PA flew a DC-8 MSY-MID (Merida, Mexico)

The Merida route is correct! And indeed, Pan American may very well have operated a DC-8 on this route although per the schedules that I have, the aircraft was indicated as a 727-100. Either way, good answer!.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 3, 2013 at 12:06 am
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: BA
3. SAS operated one stop DC-8 service between Copenhagen and Los Angeles. Where did that flight make an enroute stop?

Seattle

This was a tough one. For years SAS did indeed route through Seattle, but in the 1966 schedules I have, they routed through another airport served only by SAS and one other airline that served this airport with helicopters...
Ah, then I will offer Sondrestromfjord (nowadays Kangerlussuaq*) in Greenland. The SAS DC8-30s couldn't make the west coast nonstop. I was guessing that by 1966 they had more capable models in stock, but apparently not.

Incidentally, I've been to Sondrestromfjord myself. It was on a Wardair 727 in 1969, routing Prestwick-Sondrestromfjord-Vancouver.

Were the choppers Greenlandair S-61s ? JL, any background on them ?

* : Confession. I did look up on the web for find how Kanger-whateveritiscalled is spelt !

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 3, 2013 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note: There'll be a lot less scrolling if we just drag and paste only the relevant questions, thanks!
And another gentle reminder....as Seat 2A noted above, it would be great if participants would limit their answers to two or three quiz items at a time in order to allow others to take part.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Kay O" in honor of the wife of Dodger President Walter O'Malley.....

My Mom, a very loyal Dodger fan until the day she passed away, thought the Electra should have been named "Vinny" in recognition of veteran Dodger sportscaster Vin Scully......
that would have been a great touch ... I am amazed that he is still as engaged and engaging a broadcaster today as when I first remember hearing him in the early 1960s

I have a black-and-white photo of " Kay O' " at DCA that I took in 1968 or thereabouts
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Ah, then I will offer Sondrestromfjord (nowadays Kangerlussuaq*) in Greenland. The SAS DC8-30s couldn't make the west coast nonstop. I was guessing that by 1966 they had more capable models in stock, but apparently not.

Incidentally, I've been to Sondrestromfjord myself. It was on a Wardair 727 in 1969, routing Prestwick-Sondrestromfjord-Vancouver.

Were the choppers Greenlandair S-61s ? JL, any background on them ?
I believe so.....Greenlandair (now Air Greenland) had quite the scheduled helicopter airline operation at one point as many of the destinations served did not have airports....only heliports. I seem to recall that some of the Sikorsky S-61 helicopters used for these services may have come from SFO Helicopter, a scheduled operator in the S.F. Bay Area of northern California.....at least I think they did.

This began to change as STOLports with short runways were constructed at different locations in Greenland and the airline introduced DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprop service. However, some destinations are still only served by helicopter with a rotorcraft example being the Bell 212, which is a twin engine Huey variant also used by various military operators (military designation UH-1N in the U.S.).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 20. How did the Convair 240 get its name? i.e. What did the “240” represent?
service ceiling of 24000 ft (FL240)? it was pressurized, so this might not be unreasonable; however that logic falls apart for the later variants (CV-340 and CV-440)

does anyone know the CV-240's claim to fame in politics?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.