Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020 | 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
11. It's 1975 and you are in New York City. You've been requested to attend a meeting in Vancouver and have found a daily direct flight to YVR which will make two stops en route. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, both stops and the aircraft.
Montral was more of major commercial business centre and hub in those days so let's say the stop was in YUL.

13. It's still 1979 and you are in Honolulu. You need to travel to the London area and would prefer to arrive into Heathrow as your meeting will take place in Windsor. One airline can get you there with a connection....but the connection only works three days a week. Fortunately, the schedule works for you with your first flight departing HNL in the evening nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two and one-half hours to connect with time for a shower and breakfast before boarding your second flight which will make one intermediate stop en route to LHR. Each flight operates with a different aircraft type. So with all this in mind, identify the air carrier, the connecting city, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment operated on each flight.
I am going to guess Air Canada on this one (the other more likely possibilities being PA and TW but each would offer daily schedule). Evening flight from HNL would arrive in YVR early the next morning. Transfer to a fight that makes a stop in YYZ. L-1011 HNL-YVR, 742 YVR-YYZ-LHR
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Alaska to Vladivostok using a MD80?
31. An excellent guess! However, I believe all of Alaska Airlines service nonstop to the Russian Far East was operated from Anchorage. Please guess again, sir!
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
DFW was the favored hub from YVR and if it wasn't DFW, one of 3 other hubs. I dont know if AA ever operated YVR-JFK or MIA so the connection was at ORD?
27. Nope, it wasn't Chicago O'Hare......
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
2- I honestly don't remember EA going anywhere else south of BUF except Atlanta and Florida, but they obviously did ... let's try Washington National (DCA) and Richmond (RIC)

11- by parsing the response "one of the stops was Winnipeg" in typical Quiz fashion, I can conclude that the AC D9S operated JFK-YWG, and realistically that only leaves me to choose between the two major cities in Alberta as the second stop ... start with Calgary (YYC)
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Montral was more of major commercial business centre and hub in those days so let's say the stop was in YUL.

I am going to guess Air Canada on this one (the other more likely possibilities being PA and TW but each would offer daily schedule). Evening flight from HNL would arrive in YVR early the next morning. Transfer to a fight that makes a stop in YYZ. L-1011 HNL-YVR, 742 YVR-YYZ-LHR
11. Nope, this flight did not stop at Montreal Dorval.....

13. Ah it wasn't Air Canada, the connection was not made at Vancouver, the stop made by the second flight was not made at Toronto, the first flight was not operated with an L-1011 and the second flight was not operated with a B747-200...... but a great guess nonetheless!
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
3- I honestly don't remember EA going anywhere else south of BUF except Atlanta and Florida, but they obviously did ... let's try Washington National (DCA) and Richmond (RIC)

11- by parsing the response "one of the stops was Winnipeg" in typical Quiz fashion, I can conclude that the AC D9S operated JFK-YWG, and realistically that only leaves me to choose between the two major cities in Alberta as the second stop ... start with Calgary (YYC)
3. This flight did stop at Washington National.....but DCA wasn't the second stop. And the service did not stop at RIC.

11. Yep! Here's the sched.....

AC 279: New York Kennedy (JFK) 10:00a - 12:20p Winnipeg (YWG) 12:40p - 1:40p Calgary (YYC) 2:00p - 2:20p Vancouver (YVR)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch JFK-YWG & YWG-YYC
Equip: D9S

Last edited by jlemon; May 20, 2020 at 11:55 am
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Not DFW nor ORD. If AA did fly YVR-MIA, MIA-LIM would use bigger a/c. Assume AA did fly YVR-JFK so lets go with JFK.
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not DFW nor ORD. If AA did fly YVR-MIA, MIA-LIM would use bigger a/c. Assume AA did fly YVR-JFK so lets go with JFK.
27. Ah, it wasn't JFK.....but you are very much on the right track here!
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
2- BUF-Philadelphia (PHL) sure seems unlikely, but Newark/JFK/BWI are even more so ... YYZ-BUF-PHL-DCA-RDU for the entire Electra routing
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
3- BUF-Philadelphia (PHL) sure seems unlikely, but Newark/JFK/BWI are even more so ... YYZ-BUF-PHL-DCA-RDU for the entire Electra routing
3. Yep! Here's the sched....

EA 625: Toronto (YYZ) 12:45p - 1:15p Buffalo (BUF) 1:45p - 2:51p Philadelphia (PHL) 3:15p - 3:59p Washington National (DCA) 4:30p - 5:25p Raleigh/Durham (RDU)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: A/T
Meal service: Lunch BUF-PHL
Equip: Electra PROPJET
Old May 20, 2020 | 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
The next five quiz items all have a time line of 1980.......
17. If you wanted to fly nonstop into London Heathrow from Barcelona on board a wide body aircraft, you could do so but only once a week. What air carrier would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
Sounds like an Avianca 747. I will assume that AV had fifth-freedom rights to carry local passengers from Spain to the UK.

30. It's 1997 and you are in Kansas City. You are on your way to London and a connection will be required. Fortunately, the two different airlines you're flying with have a close business relationship and your first flight nonstop to your connecting city is operated on code sharing basis for the airline that will fly you into London. You'll also have one hour and 50 minutes to make your connection from a narrow body jet to the wide body airplane that will take you nonstop to London. Name both airlines, the connecting city, the airport you will arrive into in London and both aircraft types.
There was a time that US and BA had a close-knit codesharing relationship. I believe that US even relocated into the British Airways Terminal at JFK. Not sure if US flew MCI-JFK but PHL would be too obvious so I will guess US MCI-JFK M80 connecting to BA JFK-LGW 763. (Because a 747 to LHR would be too obvious. I believe that BA had one or two JFK-LGW flights back in that timeframe to complement all their LHR 747 service)
Old May 20, 2020 | 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Sounds like an Avianca 747. I will assume that AV had fifth-freedom rights to carry local passengers from Spain to the UK.

There was a time that US and BA had a close-knit codesharing relationship. I believe that US even relocated into the British Airways Terminal at JFK. Not sure if US flew MCI-JFK but PHL would be too obvious so I will guess US MCI-JFK M80 connecting to BA JFK-LGW 763. (Because a 747 to LHR would be too obvious. I believe that BA had one or two JFK-LGW flights back in that timeframe to complement all their LHR 747 service)
A couple of great guesses here......

17. It wasn't Avianca nor was the aircraft a 747.

30. I do remember the cooperation at one point between British Airways and USAir; however, in this case it wasn't BA and US, the respective aircraft types weren't an MD-80 or B767-300 and the connection was not made at JFK. And here's a hint: the transatlantic flight arrived into Heathrow.

Please guess again, sir!
Old May 20, 2020 | 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
30. I do remember the cooperation at one point between British Airways and USAir; however, in this case it wasn't BA and US, the respective aircraft types weren't an MD-80 or B767-300 and the connection was not made at JFK. And here's a hint: the transatlantic flight arrived into Heathrow.
How about CO MCI-EWR 733 connecting to VS EWR-LHR 340?
Old May 20, 2020 | 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
How about CO MCI-EWR 733 connecting to VS EWR-LHR 340?
30. Well, you are getting closer here as Virgin Atlantic was indeed operating the transatlantic flight.

However, it wasn't Continental from Kansas City, the aircraft from MCI wasn't a B737-300, the connection was not made at Newark and VS wasn't operating an A340 on the transatlantic leg.
Old May 20, 2020 | 2:57 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
40 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. It's 1963 and you are in Aruba. You need to travel to New York City on business and will be flying on an airline that offers connecting service. Your first flight operates five days a week nonstop to your connecting city with the equipment configured with an all-coach single class cabin. The second flight operates nonstop to NYC on a daily basis with a first and coach two class cabin. Both flights operate with different aircraft types. Name the air carrier, the connecting city and both aircraft types. It wasn't VIASA , KLM or Dominicana de Aviacion and the connection was not made in Caracas, Curacao or Santo Domingo. The first flight was operated with a DC-6B and the second flight was operated with a DC-8 arriving into Idlewild.

I must admit that it's nice to have the benefit of all these wrong answers ahead of me, knocking off answers that I might well have provided as well. Given all that's gone down, especially given the knowledge that this is a DC-8 operator, let's go with Trans Caribbean Airways routing the DC-6 to San Juan and then the DC-8 up to Idylwild. My only concern with this answer is that there was a period that TCA operated its DC-8s in an all-Y configuration. Hopefully that wasn't in 1963...

14. If you wanted to arrive into Miami on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra nonstop from an international location at this time, what airline would you call and where would you depart from?

I had a question similar to this with an airline operating nonstop LEC flights to St. Maarten and St. Kitts, but I think that was later, as in late 80s or early 90s. Let's try an airline from South America. A couple of longtime Electra operators were Aerocondor and Ecuatoriana. I remember procuring my first Movifoto postcard of the beautiful Aerocondor Electra, so let's try them flying in from Barranquilla.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.