Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TPJ

How about Tower Air?

They flew predominantly to TLV, used only B747's and even had a dedicated terminal building at JFK (I think the building still exists and is used for cargo purposes).

The only thing that does not match are occasional domestic flights to LAX and MIA they operated.
23. Nope (Tower Air) and nope (747)! Please guess again, sir.......
Old May 19, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
8. Correct! Although IAH wasn't open yet. Here's the sched.....
Sorry 'bout that - force of habit!

And as I haven't said so yet, THANKS for this excellent set of questions. You keep coming with them so regularly that it would be oh so easy for some to perhaps to take your efforts for granted, but as one who appreciates firsthand the time and effort that go into researching, formulating and addressing responses to these questions, you are indeed the Quizmeister. Thanks again!
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:28 am

16. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Rome to London Heathrow on board a Vickers VC-10, what airline would you call?

I think British Airways still had a few in service then.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:30 am

15. If you wanted to fly nonstop into London Heathrow from Inverness, Scotland on board a jet, what air carrier would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
British Airways
BAC One-Eleven
Old May 20, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BA
28. One of the air carriers in question was definitely Transaero. However, the other airline wasn't Aeroflot but was a carrier I've never heard of until I posed this quiz item. And both air carriers were not operating any version of the Boeing 767 on the route.
Well, if it wasn't a 767 from Transaero, the other aircraft they had at the time capable of doing this was the DC-10-30. They leased several from American in the late 1990s when the latter were done with them, they only lasted a couple of years before returning home and joining the Hawaiian fleet. Here's one obviously showing it's AA background https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._AN0387108.jpg

And so if it was a Transaero DC-10, the other Russian carrier who had them at the time possibly was Kras Air, who likewise got a couple from KLM and had an unsuccessful shot at USA flights, this could have been one of them. They also went over to the US shortly afterwards, into the Continental fleet. Here : https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/68577

Kras Air was one of the typical liberated "Old Aeroflot" trying-hard regional offshoots, this being the onetime Krasnoyarsk division (it's a big city in Siberia). Several of them carried on with their regional-based flights, and also opened up a Moscow base as well - the trunk route from their original base to Moscow generally being their No 1 route. There were lots of comings and goings as airlines there settled down.

Now knowledgeable JL may not have heard of Kras Air, but if you flick back through some very old FT posts of mine, say here : April High Life - First Class on VC10 you see I refer to them, because the very first aircraft I saw when landing on first-trip arrival in Russia, in St Petersburg, was a Kras Air IL-62, no less, departing. It was a great introduction to the country - though as some may know my attention was soon diverted elsewhere

Last edited by WHBM; May 20, 2020 at 8:19 am
Old May 20, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
I think British Airways still had a few in service then.
16. Ah, it wasn't BA.......
Old May 20, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

British Airways
BAC One-Eleven
15. Yes, it was British Airways. However, the equipment wasn't a BAC One-Eleven.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Sorry 'bout that - force of habit!

And as I haven't said so yet, THANKS for this excellent set of questions. You keep coming with them so regularly that it would be oh so easy for some to perhaps to take your efforts for granted, but as one who appreciates firsthand the time and effort that go into researching, formulating and addressing responses to these questions, you are indeed the Quizmeister. Thanks again!
Well, thanks Seat 2A! I very much appreciate the compliment.....but I beg to differ concerning the august title of Quizmeister being bestowed upon yours truly. The actual official Quizmeister designation can only be held by the gentleman who initiated the OTAQ&D way back in the misty, murky recesses of prehistoric time.....say around the year 2011. And, of course, that is you, sir.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:40 am

16. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Rome to London Heathrow on board a Vickers VC-10, what airline would you call?

Ah, it wasn't BA.......
Ghana Airways
Old May 20, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’m still scratching my head about another candidate for Question 2 (AUA-XXX-IDL DC6/DC8 in 1963); that said, however, I will toss a couple more questions into play

Now you are in Toronto. You've been requested to attend a meeting in Raleigh, NC and are surprised to learn there is a direct, no change of plane flight from Toronto to Raleigh/Durham which makes three stops en route and first class is available. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.
3- to paraphrase the esteemed Seat 2A, “1967, when I see YYZ and RDU on the same itinerary, I think of Eastern” ... I’ll speculate that this was an Electra, operating via Buffalo (BUF), Pittsburgh (PIT), and Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO)

11. It's 1975 and you are in New York City. You've been requested to attend a meeting in Vancouver and have found a daily direct flight to YVR which will make two stops en route. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, both stops and the aircraft.
11- even though a standard DC-8 might be a sufficiently interesting aircraft, United‘s obligatory routing via ORD/DEN and SEA is far too obvious; Western hadn’t yet expanded to JFK, so I think we need to look north of the border again ... we’ll depart JFK on an Air Canada DC-9-30, and make stops at Toronto/YYZ and Winnipeg/YWG

Last edited by jrl767; May 20, 2020 at 10:01 am
Old May 20, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Well, if it wasn't a 767 from Transaero, the other aircraft they had at the time capable of doing this was the DC-10-30. They leased several from American in the late 1990s when the latter were done with them, they only lasted a couple of years before returning home and joining the Hawaiian fleet. Here's one obviously showing it's AA background https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._AN0387108.jpg

And so if it was a Transaero DC-10, the other Russian carrier who had them at the time possibly was Kras Air, who likewise got a couple from KLM and had an unsuccessful shot at USA flights, this could have been one of them. They also went over to the US shortly afterwards, into the Continental fleet. Here : https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/68577

Kras Air was one of the typical liberated "Old Aeroflot" trying-hard regional offshoots, this being the onetime Krasnoyarsk division (it's a big city in Siberia). Several of them carried on with their regional-based flights, and also opened up a Moscow base as well - the trunk route from their original base to Moscow generally being their No 1 route. There were lots of comings and goings as airlines there settled down.

Now knowledgeable JL may not have heard of Kras Air, but if you flick back through some very old FT posts of mine, say here : April High Life - First Class on VC10 you see I refer to them, because the very first aircraft I saw when landing on first-trip arrival in Russia, in St Petersburg, was a Kras Air IL-62, no less, departing. It was a great introduction to the country - though as some may know my attention was soon diverted elsewhere
28. Transaero (UN) and Kras Air (7B) operating nonstop DC-10-30 service between Moscow and Los Angeles are correct!

And although I had vaguely heard of Kras Air, I was not familiar with the full name of this air carrier as it appears in the airline codes reference section of the OAG I used to formulate this quiz item: Krasnoyarsk Airlines.

Here are the roundtrip scheds for both airlines between LAX and Moscow Sheremetyevo.....

UN 321: Moscow (SVO) 14:30 - 16:10 Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Service classes: C/Y
Equip: DC-10-30

7B 331: Moscow (SVO) 16:30 - 18:40 Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Tuesdays only

UN 322: Los Angeles (LAX) 18:10 - 16:40+1 Moscow (SVO)
Freq: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only

7B 332: Los Angeles (LAX) 21:40 - 21:20+1 Moscow (SVO)
Freq: Tuesdays only

And this engenders a bonus quiz item.....

31. At this same time in 1996, one airline was operating nonstop service from Seattle to just one destination in the Russian Federation. The flight was operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier, the destination and the equipment. ANSWERED - Aeroflot operating an Ilyushin Il-96 nonstop to Moscow (SVO)

Last edited by jlemon; May 20, 2020 at 7:39 pm Reason: answer update
Old May 20, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ghana Airways
16. Correct! And this Vickers VC-10 (OAG aircraft code VCX) service originated in Accra, of course. Here's the sched.....

GH 702 (on Mondays) / GH 706 (on Thursdays): Accra (ACC) 10:05p - 4:30a+1 (est.) Rome (FCO) 5:30a - 6:40a London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Mondays and Thursdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: VCX
Old May 20, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

3- to paraphrase the esteemed Seat 2A, “1967, when I see YYZ and RDU on the same itinerary, I think of Eastern” ... I’ll speculate that this was an Electra, operating via Buffalo (BUF), Pittsburgh (PIT), and Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO)

11- even though a standard DC-8 might be a sufficiently interesting aircraft, United‘s obligatory routing via ORD/DEN and SEA is far too obvious; Western hadn’t yet expanded to JFK, so I think we need to look north of the border again ... we’ll depart JFK on an Air Canada DC-9-30, and make stops at Toronto/YYZ and Winnipeg/YWG

3. Yep, it was Eastern operating an Electra and the first stop was Buffalo. However, this flight did not stop at PIT or GSO.

11. Yep, it was Air Canada operating a DC9-30 departing from New York Kennedy and one of the stops was Winnipeg. However, this flight did not stop at YYZ.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
31. At this same time in 1996, one airline was operating nonstop service from Seattle to just one destination in the Russian Federation. The flight was operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier, the destination and the equipment.
Alaska to Vladivostok using a MD80?
Old May 20, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
27. Well, you are now over the threshold and about to touch down here.....as it was American operating the B757-200 on both flights. However, surprisingly, the connection was not made at Dallas/Fort Worth. So all we need to know now is where these flights connected.
DFW was the favored hub from YVR and if it wasn't DFW, one of 3 other hubs. I dont know if AA ever operated YVR-JFK or MIA so the connection was at ORD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.