Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A;32452225[b
(BONUS QUESTION: Despite the artist's obvious talent, there is one glaring error in this painting...)
No alligators ?

Here's a shot of that day at Ocala, with the steed. It was a pretty nifty/speedy version compared with the basic PA-28 Warrior 140 back at the flying club in Britain.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 13, 2020 at 5:03 am
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Beautiful Lake Okeechobee painted by Leonid Afremov (BONUS QUESTION: Despite the artist's obvious talent, there is one glaring error in this painting...)
I don't remember seeing mountains at the real one
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I wonder if any pilots get called "Dude" flying into southern California airports? For that matter, are they assigned to land on "24 L" or "The 24 L"?
Well, if you're Harrison Ford, the tower at the SoCal airport in question may have you read back the instructions several times in order to not experience any embarrassing misunderstandings......
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Beautiful Lake Okeechobee painted by Leonid Afremov (BONUS QUESTION: Despite the artist's obvious talent, there is one glaring error in this painting...)
My guess. So shallow the sail boat will run ground.

My first impression of Florida
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by KT550
I don't remember seeing mountains at the real one
I’ve never been there, but knowing the general topography I totally agree that the hills look ... well ... less than realistic
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
19- NAS-XXX-YYY-BNA on a 72S in 1988, not AA, stops not MIA/CLT/RDU ... rather than an obscure airline, I’ll posit a major with an unusual routing that bypassed their hub — Eastern via West Palm Beach (PBI) and Tampa (TPA)
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
I’ve never been there, but knowing the general topography I totally agree that the hills look ... well ... less than realistic
Indeed. Pretty much having never been very far north of I-4, I always thought overpass embankments were the highest topographic features in Florida.

Shockingly, there does seem to be terrain above 200' ASL in the vicinity of Ocala.

https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/maps/f5e4/Florida/
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
RE. Okeechobee Painting error

Per WHBM: No alligators ?
Per KT550: I don't remember seeing mountains at the real one
Per YVR Cockroach: Indeed. Pretty much having never been very far north of I-4, I always thought overpass embankments were the highest topographic features in Florida. Shockingly, there does seem to be terrain above 200' ASL in the vicinity of Ocala.
Per jrl767: I’ve never been there, but knowing the general topography I totally agree that the hills look ... well ... less than realistic

And the mountains have it! While they do add some nice contrast to the picture, the highest mountain in Florida is probably Magic Mountain at Disney World
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
19. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

NAS-XXX-YYY-BNA on a 72S in 1988, not AA, stops not MIA/CLT/RDU ... rather than an obscure airline, I’ll posit a major with an unusual routing that bypassed their hub — Eastern via West Palm Beach (PBI) and Tampa (TPA)

Not a bad guess at all, but nope, it ain't EA routing via any Florida cities either. It is however a major airline operating a 727-200...
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DOWN TO THE LAST ONE...

19. (1988)
You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.
We know it's a major airline operating a 727-200 with the first stop coming north of RDU. I'll leave it out there until sometime later tonight (Saturday, ADT -9 GMT).

As to the next batch, jrl767 has indicated he's working on a batch and jlemon has let me know he has 30 ready to go but will defer to jrl767 if he's ready.

If any of the rest of you have some questions or are interested in submitting some - please, join the party! Let's us know and we'll work it out. Speaking for myself and I suspect jlemon as well - we welcome and encourage efforts from any of you who'd like to submit a batch whether you're first timers or seasoned veterans. You can either post your intent here or PM either myself or jlemon.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 13, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
I might be the only one here who has actually flown into Ocala - though not by airline
Here's a photo of a landing on runway 36 at Ocala back in May 2014. The present airport opened in 1961, replacing a previous location in another part of the city.
The longest runway here is just under 7500 feet and as well as the Eastern Electras identified in the answer, Air Florida 727s used to thunder through here (source Wikipedia). A new terminal has also been recently opened (Spring 2020).

I found this February article about the airport:
https://www.wuft.org/news/2020/02/07...till-grounded/

strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DOWN TO THE LAST ONE...

19. (1988)
You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.
We know it's a major airline operating a 727-200 with the first stop coming north of RDU. I'll leave it out there until sometime later tonight (Saturday, ADT -9 GMT).

Pan Am PA 206 Nassau (NAS) 100p-340p L New York (JFK) 505p-631p S Pittsburgh (PIT) 710p-740p Nashville (BNA) 727-200 Daily

Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BA
Well done KT, managed to fly to Ocala in a TWIN ! Beat me then. I think my photo is at the end of those hangars you see in the background of yours.

The linked article is an interesting commentary on how non-aviation people view potential airline service to their town. They look for air service to Miami etc, but then state that they are flying elsewhere, across a wide range of the US. The obvious operation, if there is one, out of Ocala would be a couple of flights a day on a Delta commuter aircraft to Atlanta, from where you can get on same-airline to anywhere, because people said they are travelling regularly to New York, Wisconsin, Boston, etc. The likely older lady travelling to Wisconsin, over 1,000 miles, which is almost like London to Corfu in Greece, finds it tiring to go to Orlando first, but at least once there can get a nonstop flight to Milwaukee, which is never going to happen from Ocala, you would be changing planes.

And then there's the usual commentary on price. An expectation that if a service starts it is going to be cheaper than current arrangements. Now a 30-second flight enquiry for Orlando to Milwaukee finds the Frontier nonstop is half the price of a Delta connection through Atlanta. That Delta price is not going to go down if you depart Ocala instead of Orlando. The lady could have gone to Gainesville instead, half the distance of Orlando, but from there it is of course just DL to Atlanta and AA to Charlotte. And the lady already is getting her friend to give her a lift to Orlando, so most likely is buying on price/nonstop. It's all a bit like people who complained long and hard when rural train services in Britain were withdrawn, and in fact still do about ones taken away in the 1960s. Fact was hardly anybody was using them, least of all those who did the complaining, and wouldn't do so if reinstated. But they still wanted it.

Meanwhile, back on that Ocala trip, I dropped in on the return at airport X05. Even less likely to get airline service, this is Pilot Country, about 50 houses built in the middle of nowhere, around their own 4,000 ft hard runway (think London City ! ). Just landed, taxied around the back past the houses, departed again. Each house has its own attached hangar. Called up on their own CTAF radio, but nobody responded. Guy I rented from in St Pete told me about it, I got the impression he would like to live there one day. Wonder if he ever did. Biggest challenge was actually finding it from the air. He said everyone tends to have the radio turned on in their kitchen while at home. No landing fee, unknown in the UK. There were no landing fees at Ocala either. Nor even at St Pete when I got back. Where do they get their money from ?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...!4d-82.4969791

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3279...7i16384!8i8192
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 14, 2020 at 7:47 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DOWN TO THE LAST ONE...
Pan Am PA 206 Nassau (NAS) 100p-340p L New York (JFK) 505p-631p S Pittsburgh (PIT) 710p-740p Nashville (BNA) 727-200 Daily
certainly one of the more unusual routings we have discussed here

that said, the dozen or so questions I’ve been researching have a similar theme
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:58 am

Here are a few questions that will give you something to do for a day or so.
They were originally part of a quiz with a group of friends held via WhatsApp, with answers "on the buzzer", so that participants didn't have time to look up the answers. As usual, please restrict your answers to two per day, to allow all to participate.

Q. KT/1
This U.K. airport opened in 1936 and closed in 1993.
During the late 1980s it had scheduled service to two destinations, one of which was international. It had a grass runway.
ANSWERED - Ipswich (IPW) - Suckling Airways (CB) flew Dornier 228s to Manchester and Amsterdam

Q. KT/2
This U.K. airport opened in 1941. Former RAF buildings were used as a hotel.
It has a railway station named for the airport.
It's the least used station in its county and only one train a week stops there.
Until recently, only one airline flew from here.
ANSWERED - Teesside International Airport (MME)

Q. KT/3
This airport (NOT U.K.) opened in 1975 and the last scheduled passenger flight was in 1997.
It was the city's international airport.
Passenger charters continued until 2004 but the passenger terminal has since been demolished. Freight and industrial operations continue.
ANSWERED - Montreal Mirabel (YMX)

Q. KT/4
What is the longest flight within the European Union?
ANSWERED - Air Austral B77W RUN-CDG

Q. KT/5
Which airline has operated all versions of the classic Boeing 737?
ANSWERED - Lufthansa operated all versions 100 to 500.

Q. KT/6
Which European airline was the first to take delivery of the Boeing 720?
ANSWERED - Aer Lingus

Q. KT/7
Which airline was the launch customer for four airliner variants in the 1980s?
Name the airline and the four variant specific aircraft types
ANSWERED - Swissair -
1980 - DC-9-80, 1983 - A310 and Boeing 747-300, 1988 - Fokker 100

Q. KT/8
Which airliner variant, introduced in 1959, was a major U.S. airline the sole customer for?
ANSWERED - Boeing 707-200 - basically a 707-100 airframe with higher rated engines from the -300 variant.

Q. KT/9
Where were early Boeing 737s built?
ANSWERED - Boeing Field

Q. KT/10
What is the longest non-stop domestic flight in the U.S.A. (as at Nov 2019)?
ANSWERED - Hawaiian Airlines HNL-BOS

Last edited by KT550; Jun 16, 2020 at 5:31 pm Reason: answers updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.