Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
It appears that only the "Hawaii Mars" may be in flying condition (or close to flying condition) at this time...
I guess it may be in flying condition if there are enough punters (and their friends) to pay for this:

Fly the Martin Mars! The Ultimate Experience Aircraft Familiarization Course
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I guess it may be in flying condition if there are enough punters (and their friends) to pay for this:

Fly the Martin Mars! The Ultimate Experience Aircraft Familiarization Course
The other possibility is that a severe fire season develops in the western U.S. (and/or in Canada) this year.

Here in the U.S., the National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC, a federal multi-agency organization based in BOI which includes the U.S. Forest Service (USFS), the National Park Service (NPS), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), etc. etc.) has a mandate to employ every possible commercial fire fighting asset before calling the military for help (for example, the California Air National Guard can reconfigure their C-130 aircraft for fire fighting water drops while Army National Guard CH-47 and UH-60 helicopters from various states can be deployed with water buckets for fire fighting). Mr. Coulson is well aware of this, of course, and Coulson Aviation is a known entity to NIFC as Coulson does have a new contract in place for a B737-300 air tanker (the aforementioned Tanker 137) besides being approved for "call when needed" (CWN) fire fighting helicopter operations with its CH-47, UH-60 and S-61 rotorcraft.

So if everything goes to heck with numerous huge wild fires breaking out in the west this summer and NIFC is, pardon the pun, burning through commercial assets concerning their CWN fixed wing air tanker call-up list, the good old "Hawaii Mars" just might take to the air flying fire fighting missions once again.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 21, 2020 at 12:42 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
reset

following KT550's diversionary historical interlude (thanks again, those were great!), and not knowing (or, perhaps more accurately, not remembering) where Quizmasters Extraordinaire Seat 2A and jlemon had indicated theywere with their next batches, I put up a handful of 1966 schedule questions as a placeholder a week or so ago (Post 19405 above)

I willingly plunged into the discussion of aerial fire tankers and other airliner history that apparently swallowed them up ... so I'll offer to put my questions on hiatus for awhile in the interest of resuming our more animated exchanges
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well then....here we go once again!

Please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And as always we are looking for complete and decisive answers here.

1. It's 1963 and you have just driven a brand new Porsche 356 sports car from the factory in Zuffenhausen, West Germany to Rotterdam in The Netherlands. Your final destination is London and that means you and the car will travel nonstop by air to the UK. Name the airline you and the 356 will be traveling with, the aircraft type and the airport you will arrive into in the UK. ANSWERED

2. Now it's 1966 and you have been invited to join friends for a backpacking trip in Big Bend National Park in Texas. The plan is to join your friends in San Antonio and then drive west to the park. Your current location is New York City and you are in no big hurry to get to San Antonio. So how about a good old fashioned milk run flight to SAT? Your flight operates daily and makes six stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, the air carrier, all six stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

3. You've had lovely sailing adventure in the late spring of 1969 and the catamaran is now moored at a marina in Bilbao on the north coast of Spain. During breakfast at the yacht club a message is delivered requesting your presence at a Thursday morning meeting in London....which is tomorrow. You quickly ascertain there is a nonstop afternoon departure operating three days a week from Bilbao to London which meets your schedule.....although the airline agent then tells you that depending on the specific day of the flight one of two different aircraft types are operated on this route with one of them arriving into London 40 minutes before the other one with the departure time for both types being the same from Bilbao. "So which airplane will I be traveling on?" you ask the agent and the response is, "Well, we honestly don't know yet. We're still waiting for the specific equipment to be assigned to the flight. But have no fear, we shall get you to London all the same, sir!" Name the airline you will be flying with, both aircraft types and the London airport you will arrive into.

4. Now you're in Birmingham in 1974. Ah, not the one in the UK, though....the other one in the heart of Dixie. You need to travel to San Francisco and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1979.....

5. You've attended a wonderful wedding in Napa in northern California and now must journey to Fort Lauderdale in order to check out a sailboat that's for sail...er...sale. You've also found an early morning flight departing from the nearest airport to Napa that has mainline jet service with this service operating daily and two stops being made en route. Name the airport you will be departing from, the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

6. Ah, yet another wonderful sailing adventure.....and you are now on the island of Martinique in the Caribbean. Business calls and that means traveling to San Francisco. You are not surprised to learn there are no direct fights from Fort de France to SFO which means you will be required to make one connection between two different airlines. Your first flight will be nonstop to your connecting airport (where you will have one and one-half hours to connect) and operates four days a week. Your second flight operates daily and will make one stop en route. Identify both airlines and the different equipment they respectively operate on each flight, the connecting city and the en route stop made by the second flight. ANSWERED

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1980.....

7. The meeting in Los Angeles on a Friday morning has gone extremely well and you have now been awarded a new consulting contract. And then you hear this in the client's boardroom: "We want you to journey to the project site in Jujuy as soon as reasonably possible." Ah.....what? Where? "Jujuy. It's in South America. We're sure you'll be able find it and get there straight away. Good luck and congratulations!" Sure enough you find Jujuy and quickly ascertain that two different airlines and a connection will be required to get there. Your first flight only operates on Saturdays nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two hours and 15 minutes to connect. Your second flight also operates only on Saturdays and makes one stop en route. Name both air carriers and the different equipment they respectively operate on each flight, the connecting airport and the en route stop made by the second flight. The first flight was not operated by JAL, the aircraft type wasn't a 747 and the connection was not made at GRU. The second flight was operated by Aerolineas Argentinas with a 707....but the stop was not made at EZE.

8. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 707 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time, you could do so but only once a week. Identify the airline. ANSWERED

9. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 747 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time, you could do so but only once a week. Name the air carrier. It wasn't Avianca

10. You are in Cardiff in Wales and need to travel to Paris via Charles de Gaulle. You've found a morning flight that operates three days a week which makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1981....

11. This airline was marketing new daily direct wide body service at this time between Phoenix and Miami which made the same stop en route in both directions. Name the air carrier, the stop and the wide body equipment. It wasn't American or TWA, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 or L-1011 and the stop wasn't DFW or STL

12. You're back in Fort Lauderdale and are now on your way to Honolulu on board a direct flight which operates five days a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1984.....

13. You are in Boston and are on your way to San Diego on board an interesting daily flight which will make four stops en route. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the equipment.

14. This airline was operating seven daily nonstop departures with jet equipment at this time from Stuart, Florida to just one destination. Identify the air carrier and the destination.

15. Also in 1984, this U.S. based air carrier stated it would have an all Boeing fleet by late 1986. However, in 1986 it took delivery of and placed into service six aircraft which were not manufactured by Boeing but were all the same type. Name this airline and the non-Boeing aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next five quiz items have a time line of 1985.....

16. You've had enjoyable time skiing with some old friends at the Bogus Basin ski resort just north of Boise. Now you're off to New Orleans for a very special birthday dinner with a very special lady friend at Muriel's restaurant on Jackson Square in the French Quarter. Better yet, you've found a daily direct flight from BOI which makes two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. It wasn't Continental, the aircraft wasn't a DC9-30 and a stop was not made at IAH....but the flight in question did stop at DEN

17. From New Orleans you've journeyed to Philadelphia for a business meeting which has gone well. And then you get a call from your New Orleans lady friend: "Hey! I'm in Palm Springs! Why don't you fly out here and I'll buy you dinner!" You want to inquire about the wine list....but you wisely decide not to and then quickly research your flight. Ah, here's a direct two stop flight departing PHL the next morning which will get you into PSP in plenty of time before dinner. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

18. Now you are in New York City and are heading to Denver. You're in no big hurry and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

19. The meeting in Denver went well and your ski buddies have now invited you to join them for a cross country skiing adventure in Little Switzerland, North Carolina which is located near the highest peak in the eastern U.S. being Mt. Mitchell with a summit of 6,684 feet. So you will now fly into the nearest airport to Little Switzerland that has jet service and have found a direct one stop flight. Name the airport you will fly into, the airline, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

20. You have a meeting to attend in El Paso and are currently in Berkeley in the SF East Bay. So you will now fly out of Oakland on board a daily flight which only offers coach and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

That will get us started with Round Two to follow.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 2, 2020 at 12:21 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks, JL, for this new set of queries while jrl767 has graciously taken a brief hiatus. I'll get things rolling with an attempt at these two:

8. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 707 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time, you could do so but only once a week. Identify the airline.

I'm thinking in 1980 there were still a few Middle Eastern and African airlines still operating the 707 but lets start with a most likely suspect - MEA Middle East Airlines

12. You're back in Fort Lauderdale and are now on your way to Honolulu on board a direct flight which operates five days a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

I'm pretty sure I remember this flight from my days of being enamored with Western's DC-10s and trying to fly every one in the fleet (I got all but 4 of 'em). Let's go with Western operating FLL-MIA-LAX-HNL
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Well then....here we go once again!

1. It's 1963 and you have just driven a brand new Porsche 356 sports car from the factory in Zuffenhausen, West Germany to Rotterdam in The Netherlands. Your final destination is London and that means you and the car will travel nonstop by air to the UK. Name the airline you and the 356 will be traveling with, the aircraft type and the airport you will arrive into in the UK ...
1- here we go, indeed!

I suspect this was British Air Ferries, operating an ungainly-looking DC-4 conversion known as the Carvair into Southampton
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks, JL, for this new set of queries while jrl767 has graciously taken a brief hiatus. I'll get things rolling with an attempt at these two:

8. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 707 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time, you could do so but only once a week. Identify the airline.

I'm thinking in 1980 there were still a few Middle Eastern and African airlines still operating the 707 but lets start with a most likely suspect - MEA Middle East Airlines

12. You're back in Fort Lauderdale and are now on your way to Honolulu on board a direct flight which operates five days a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

I'm pretty sure I remember this flight from my days of being enamored with Western's DC-10s and trying to fly every one in the fleet (I got all but 4 of 'em). Let's go with Western operating FLL-MIA-LAX-HNL
8. An excellent guess....but nope! Please guess again, sir!

12. Correct! Here's the sched....

WA 561: Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 9:10a - 9:35a Miami (MIA) 10:15a - 12:40p Los Angeles (LAX) 1:50p - 5:25p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service classes: F/Y/K
Meal service: Lunch MIA-LAX & LAX-HNL with "Islander" service LAX-HNL
Equip: DC-10

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 23, 2020 at 8:32 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1- here we go, indeed!

I suspect this was British Air Ferries, operating an ungainly-looking DC-4 conversion known as the Carvair into Southampton
1. Close but no cigar concerning the name of the air carrier and it wasn't a Carvair or DC-4 and the flight did not arrive at Southampton although the UK airport listed in the airline in question timetable has a similar name.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

If not MEA, how about EL AL?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

If not MEA, how about EL AL?
8. Nope! And now I'm going to stand down for a bit on our outside deck on a warm tropical evening and finally have that beer (an ABK Schwarz lagerbier from Bavaria) that I just told you about on the phone. Cheers!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- if not a Carvair, then certainly a Bristol Freighter (which was an equally ungainly-looking aircraft, perhaps even more so with the tailwheel) ... based on “similar” for the arrival point, I’ll offer Southend

however, “close” for the airline name still leaves me in head-scratching mode ... Channel Air Ferries? probably need to use a WHBM ping-a-friend lifeline here

and it’s probably appropriate that I’m lifting a gin and tonic this evening
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. Now you're in Birmingham in 1974. Ah, not the one in the UK, though....the other one in the heart of Dixie. You need to travel to San Francisco and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.
4- carriers that I can recall serving both BHM and SFO in ‘74 ... American and United are too obvious, and Eastern’s route map doesn’t really align (BHM was mainly a stop between Florida and the upper Midwest) ... that leaves Delta, which of course suggests a Stretch DC-8 operating to SFO from Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW), which of course creates a quandary with respect to the other stop, as there are solid candidates both before and after ... let’s say Jackson (JAN)
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
1- if not a Carvair, then certainly a Bristol Freighter (which was an equally ungainly-looking aircraft, perhaps even more so with the tailwheel) ... based on “similar” for the arrival point, I’ll offer Southend

however, “close” for the airline name still leaves me in head-scratching mode ... Channel Air Ferries? probably need to use a WHBM ping-a-friend lifeline here

1963 seems to be the magic year when Channel Air Bridge and Silver City AIrways united into British United Airways. They used Southend and Lydd at the UK end.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Well, you've got the aircraft and the airport right, specifically the Super Bristol 170 and Southend.....
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
1963 seems to be the magic year when Channel Air Bridge and Silver City AIrways united into British United Airways. They used Southend and Lydd at the UK end.
1. I think it may actually been 1962.....but British United is what we are looking for here, specifically British United Air Ferries (VF):

https://www.timetableimages.com/i-uz/vf6210a.jpg

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttim...f63/vf63-1.jpg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.