Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.

I didn't realize ACA once had int'l service(!). I can't imagine where else both AR and AF would have service in the neighborhood that makes sense. It's a little far to PPT but how about PTY?

No, it wasn't Panama City either. You'll want to head a bit further south.

Here's what we know so far -
  • The airlines involved were Aerolineas Argentinas and Air France
  • The aircraft for both flights was a 707
  • Lima was one of the cities flown through

88. It’s a dreary Sunday afternoon in Amsterdam when you receive a cable from your old seafaring pal jlemon. He’s found a great deal hitching a ride aboard a yacht between Honolulu and Bora Bora and as luck would have it there’s room for one more. Can you get to Honolulu by tonight? Whaaaat? Hmm…well it certainly sounds good. It's a little after noon here in Amsterdam which would make it about 1:00am in Honolulu. Let’s see… Well how ‘bout that! Yes! There’s a routing involving a single connection utilizing two nonstop flights. You’ll depart Amsterdam late this afternoon, have a one hour and fifty minute layover at the connecting point and then fly nonstop to Honolulu arriving a little after 1030p tonight, Honolulu time. Two different airlines utilizing American built equipment will be used. Identify the airlines involved, the aircraft flown and the connection point.

A strong possibility for this one would be KLM with a DC-8 flying AMS-YVR connecting to a CPAir DC-8S YVR-HNL (and onward to the SW Pacific).

Not a bad guess at all, YVR. However, per the schedules I referenced for this question, KLM did not yet serve Vancouver. Service from Amsterdam was provided by one stop CP Air DC-8-63s.

Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 17, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
All excellent submissions, dfw - and of course New York is a no brainer. I would've thought Washington as well but by then I believe IAD was benefiting from Concorde service. Boston was not one of the three. So, you've hit one out of three. Please, continue on!
Ah, I forgot about Washington's Concorde service (please forgive me!) and Boston was a long shot. What I was not thinking about, however, was that by "American" you likely meant "North American" and not "United States of American" as this is from the international OAG. So with that thought I'll add Montreal. I'm waffling on a most-likely third airport with a few in mind. I'll say Miami.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

82. Rather surprisingly, there are only three American cities that are served by Air France 747s. Identify the three cities. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please. Answers such as “Well it could be xxx” will be summarily ignored.
82. Besides JFK, I'll guess Chicago O'Hare and Houston Intercontinental. And I think the AF service into IAH might have been operated with a B747-200 Combi.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.

Well, let's see here.....we know the first flight will be on board an Aerolineas Argentinas Boeing 707 from Buenos Aires. So I'll guess this flight stopped in Santiago and then continued on to Lima where the connection would be made. And that means that Air France was operating nonstop Boeing 707 service from Lima to Papeete at this time.

That's the ticket, JL I was quite surprised to see this nonstop route. Here's the schedule:

Aerolineas Argentinas AR 350 Buenos Aires (EZE) 1000a-1145a Santiago (SCL) 1245p-205p Lima (LIM) Boeing 707 We Fr

Air France AF 103 Lima (LIM) 450p-950p Papeete (PPT) Boeing 707 We Su

On a side note, since I was a little kid I'd always been taken with Polynesia and the idea of traveling there someday. At 12 years old I was sending in the coupons cut out from travel magazine ads stating "Yes! Please rush me details about your South Pacific vacation packages" The pictures of blue lagoons and rustic over-water bungalows were of course very nice but my favorite parts were lines such as "This evening you'll board your Air New Zealand DC-8 for the flight to Papeete" Back then the brochures always included pictures of the airliners to be flown - yet another bonus.

And so it was that my very first international trip requiring use of a passport was to Tahiti in 1981. It was traveling on an AD75 ticket as part of a two week independent fam trip with Ted Cook's Islands In The Sun tours. I flew from LA down to Papeete in First Class aboard an Air New Zealand DC-10 - still to this day one of the finest First Class flights I have ever enjoyed. I spent time at nice hotels in Papeete, Bora Bora, Raiatea and Moorea before returning to LA in First Class aboard a UTA 747. That flight was decidedly inferior to what I had experienced with Air New Zealand and, given the benefits of discounted AD75 travel, if I had it to do all over again I would have booked a First Class seat aboard South Pacific Island Airways' 707 routing Papeete - Pago Pago - Honolulu and then flown on to Denver via Braniff's 747 to Dallas and a 727 back up to Denver.

What a great trip that was though, especially with most hotels offering the Modified American Plan dining which meant breakfast and dinner were included and you were on your own for lunch. When I next returned to Tahiti some years later, my accommodations were decidedly different though no less enjoyable.

My home for three weeks on Moorea - about $3.00 USD per night to camp out in a local family's back lot
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.

Many of that "good number of international airlines" were African and Middle Eastern carriers ... presuming of course that BA was one of the operators, herewith my first guess at the other five:
  1. Central African Airways Incorrect
  2. East African Airways Correct!
  3. Ghana Airways Correct!
  4. Gulf Air Correct!
  5. Nigeria Airways Incorrect
You're off to a good start, J! (Four out of six) By the way, I recall the question coming up of Central African Airways' use of VC10s and if I remember correctly, WHBM responded that no VC10s (much less any other jets) ever flew in CAA's livery. I seem to recall the VC10s were operated by BOAC on behalf of CAA, but again, WHBM may wish to once again clarify this...

86. It’s not often you’re faced with such an exotic itinerary, but after consulting on a major dam construction project in Peru, you now need to fly across the globe to Peking, China. Rather surprisingly, you’ve found a routing departing Wednesday out of Lima using just one airline that makes two connections enroute. It’s a fairly straight line routing as well – no crazy zig zagging – so it’s well within the Maximum Permitted Mileage parameters. The aircraft type remains the same throughout. The first two flights are nonstop. The final flight – from the second connecting point – makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the two connecting points.

At first reading, the destination of Peking/PEK in 1976 strongly suggests that the airline in question was Aeroflot, which in turn means that the aircraft was an IL-62 ... the connecting points would have been Havana/HAV and Moscow/SVO, and the enroute stop on the cross-Siberia flight would have most likely been Irkutsk ... the problem with this logic is that I'm pretty sure an IL6 couldn't make HAV-SVO without a fuel stop

As far as Western European carriers serving PEK, Air France is the only one that comes immediately to mind ... the third flight would have been Paris/CDG-Karachi/KHI-PEK, so the issue is whether LIM-XXX-CDG was via northern or southern South America ... for now I'll guess Rio de Janeiro/GIG, and a 707-328B/C on each segment

Way to break it down, J Air France with the 707 is correct, as is the routing via South America. However, Rio was not involved in the routing.

Please, carry on!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
86. It’s not often you’re faced with such an exotic itinerary, but after consulting on a major dam construction project in Peru, you now need to fly across the globe to Peking, China. Rather surprisingly, you’ve found a routing departing Wednesday out of Lima using just one airline that makes two connections enroute. It’s a fairly straight line routing as well – no crazy zig zagging – so it’s well within the Maximum Permitted Mileage parameters. The aircraft type remains the same throughout. The first two flights are nonstop. The final flight – from the second connecting point – makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the two connecting points.

Air France 707 Lima-Tahiti
Air France 707 Tahiti-Tokyo
Air France 707 Tokyo-Fukuoka-Beijing

If I didn't know better, I might think you used to work for Air France, W Great call on all three segments. Here's the schedule:

Air France AF 103 Lima (HND) 450p-950p Papeete (PPT) Boeing 707 We Su only

Air France AF 101 Papeete (PPT) 1145p-655a Tokyo (HND) Boeing 707 We Su only

Air France AF 179 Tokyo (HND) 1200n – 120p Fukuoka (FUK) 230p-505p Peking (PEK) Boeing 707 Th Su only

Interestingly, the Lima - Papeete - Tokyo flight operated with two separate flight numbers rather than being a through flight. Peru was the first Latin American country to establish diplomatic relations with Japan and by extension the first Latin American country to accept Japanese .immigration. I'm not sure how sizable the Japanese population in Peru was in 1976 but I should imagine it is what was the basis for this interesting LIM-PPT-HND routing by Air France.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Air France with the 707 is correct, as is the routing via South America. However, Rio was not involved in the routing.

Air France AF 179 Tokyo (HND) 1200n – 120p Fukuoka (FUK) 230p-505p Peking (PEK) Boeing 707 Th Su only
ummmmmmm ... do we actually have TWO correct answers here?

86- I'll offer Sao Paolo (GRU) as the connecting point on my proposed South American routing, rather than Rio
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The (in)famous YQX technical stop (pretty sure it'll be unlisted in OAG)?

Aeroflot's IL-62 flights between Havana and Moscow made either one or two stops. To wit:

SU 334 Havana - Rabat - Moscow We Sa Su
SU 338 Havana - Rabat - Moscow Th only
SU 332 Havana - Lisbon - Frankfurt - Moscow Fr only
SU 336 Havana - Lisbon - Frankfurt - Moscow Tu only
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
82. Rather surprisingly, there are only three American cities that are served by Air France 747s. Identify the three cities. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please. Answers such as “Well it could be xxx” will be summarily ignored.

Ah, I forgot about Washington's Concorde service (please forgive me!) and Boston was a long shot. What I was not thinking about, however, was that by "American" you likely meant "North American" and not "United States of American" as this is from the international OAG. So with that thought I'll add Montreal. I'm waffling on a most-likely third airport with a few in mind. I'll say Miami.

No, I actually meant American as in USA. Miami did enjoy service from Air France, but only from Caribbean destinations - at that time with the Caravelle.

Please, guess again!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Besides JFK, I'll guess Chicago O'Hare and Houston Intercontinental. And I think the AF service into IAH might have been operated with a B747-200 Combi.

Two down, one to go! Houston is correct, being served as part of Air France's Paris - Houston - Mexico City service.

By the way, I meant to phrase the question "served nonstop" by Air France 747s, but since I didn't Chicago is also correct, being served via Montreal

So then, just one more city...

In 1980 I flew First Class aboard Air France's 747 between Houston and Mexico City. I had mis-connected with my Eastern flight down to Mexico out of New Orleans and so benefited from a Rule 240 reroute via Houston. Upgrading to First aboard the short 2 hour flight to MEX cost me only about $26 USD. Sadly, by then the upstairs lounge had been replaced with revenue seats.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, gang - here are the remaining questions plus a few more...

Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Aircraft types must be specific including variant, i.e. 727 NO, 727-200 YES Thanks!

12. (2003) What a night! That little white ball was practically on fire as you burned up the roulette tables at Mandalay Bay to the tune of over $38000.00! So what the heck – why not fly back home to Burbank in First Class? As things turned out, there’s just one flight a day that even offers First Class between Las Vegas and Burbank and you’ve called just in time to purchase the last available seat. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

30. (1990) As a lifelong resident of south Florida, you’ve often had occasion to visit Mexico’s Caribbean coast via Merida and Cancun. This time however, you’re headed for the other side of Mexico, to Guadalajara in the western state of Jalisco. And this won’t be a vacation trip either. No – you’re looking to invest in a new boutique tequila operation being fronted by your friend Guillermo Paz, a well-known star of Mexican stage and cinema. Guillermo knows his agave and you’re looking forward to learning more about the operation. Although you were expecting to make at least one connection, you’re surprised to discover a single daily one stop direct flight. Ay yi yi! Vamanos!! Identificar la aerolínea, la parada en ruta y el tipo de avión.

33 . (2003) You had a helluva time getting from New York down to Los Cabos, what with a broken down airplane and a missed connection, but your travel travails were well worth it given the wonderful week of sun and fun that you’ve enjoyed. And, as if things couldn’t get any better, you’ve been upgraded to First Class on your two-stop direct flight back to JFK. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll return home on as well as the two enroute stops.

The following questions are all sourced from a 1976 International OAG

71. Lucky you! You need to fly from Paris to Nadi, Fiji. Oh No! How many connections is that going to take? As luck would have it, only one, on the same airline all the way through. The first flight will make three stops, the second flight just two. The equipment remains the same throughout. So then, please identify the airline, the enroute stops of each flight and the equipment type.

72. You’ve taken a job in Tarawa, Gilbert Islands rebuilding the airport terminal that was damaged in a recent hurricane. You’ve noticed the airport there is served by two jet flights – but only on select dates. The service isn’t even once weekly. In any event, identify the two jet types serving Tarawa (TRW), the airlines that operate them and where they fly into Tarawa from.
A N S W E R E D

73. What is the largest jet serving Kabul, Afghanistan? Which airline operates it?

74. Business callsin the form of a meeting with your European sister company in Luxembourg. From your home office in Fresno, California you’re pleased to discover that getting to Luxembourg won’t be as difficult as you initially thought. Travel will involve a one stop flight to the connecting airport followed by another one stop flight to Luxembourg. Two airlines will be involved and both airlines will operate the same type of equipment. Identify all the usual stuff. By now you know what I’m looking for.
A N S W E R E D

75. What is one unique and surprising aspect of jet service into Moscow, USSR in 1976?

76. After a week of vacationing on the sun splashed beaches of Jamaica, it’s time to return home to Rome. You’ve found a nice routing involving a single connection utilizing two different airlines. The first flight will be nonstop. Dinner will be served onboard. The connecting flight will make two stops enroute. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Alright then – figure it all out, please.

A N S W E R E D

78. After .a wonderful time on safari in Uganda, it’s off to the airport for your first flight aboard a Super VC-10. Oh No! Your Land Rover gets a flat tire along the way and by the time you finally get to the airport, you watch as your VC-10 climbs into the clear blue skies above Entebbe. Thankfully for you, on that particular day there’s another flight aboard the same airline later that afternoon. However, it’s not a VC-10. It’s a DC-3. What airline are you flying on and where are you likely flying to?

79. I’ve found two countries that have more than two airlines based in each country that operate the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Identify each country and its respective Electra Operators. One country has three operators, the other has four.

80. While there are still a few Comets operating charter flights, in 1976 I’ve been able to find only one that still operates scheduled flights with the venerable Comet 4. Which airline is it?

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. This includes both domestic and International flights. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this 707 flight.
It's not in Florida

82. Rather surprisingly, there are only four American cities that are served by Air France 747s. Identify the four cities.
A N S W E R E D

83. Cairo, Egypt is quite the hotbed for Boeing 720 operations. Four airlines – all of the regional – offer a variety of flights into the Egyptian capitol. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please. Answers such as “Well it could be xxx” will be summarily ignored.
Saudia has been correctly identified. We need three more... Not MEA, Cyprus Airways, EL AL

84. From your home office in Rome, you need to get to Johannesburg, South Africa. Quickly. As in right now. Well, geez – it’s Saturday. Alitalia’s got a single one stop flight and it’s sold out. But hey – look at this! There’s a single online (same airline) connection involving two four engine Boeing jetliners. You’ll fly nonstop to the connection point and then catch a one-stop flight from there on to Johannesburg. Identify the airline, the routing and f course the aircraft types.
A N S W E R E D

85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.
British Airways, East African, Ghana, Gulf Air and Air Malawi have been identified. Just one more to go...

A N S W E R E D

87. (The WHBM Special) What is the longest twin jet flight out of London Gatwick? Please identify airline, aircraft and of course, the route.
A N S W E R E D
Bonus Question 87B: What is the longest NONSTOP twin jet flight out of London Gatwick? Please identify the airline and aircraft as well.

88. It’s a dreary Sunday afternoon in Amsterdam when you receive a cable from your old seafaring pal jlemon. He’s found a great deal hitching a ride aboard a yacht between Honolulu and Bora Bora and as luck would have it there’s room for one more. Can you get to Honolulu by tonight? Whaaaat? Hmm…well it certainly sounds good. It's a little after noon here in Amsterdam which would make it about 1:00am in Honolulu. Let’s see… Well how ‘bout that! Yes! There’s a routing involving a single connection utilizing two nonstop flights. You’ll depart Amsterdam late this afternoon, have a one hour and fifty minute layover at the connecting point and then fly nonstop to Honolulu arriving a little after 1030p tonight, Honolulu time. Two different airlines utilizing American built equipment will be used. Identify the airlines involved, the aircraft flown and the connection point.
A N S W E R E D

89. You need to fly from Athens to Miami ASAP. As fate would have it, all of the nonstop or direct flights on Sunday through New York are sold out. Hmm… well, there’s more than one way to get from Europe to Miami. Following a bit of research, you’ve found a viable routing departing tomorrow morning involving two airlines – both from the same country - and just one connecting point. The first flight is nonstop. The second flight makes three enroute stops. Can you identify the airlines involved, the single aircraft type flown, the routing and the connection point?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 18, 2020 at 11:35 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
85- how about MEA and Air Ceylon for the other two VC-10 operators
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Air France with the 707 is correct, as is the routing via South America. However, Rio was not involved in the routing.

Ummmmmmm ... do we actually have TWO correct answers here?

I'll offer Sao Paolo (GRU) as the connecting point on my proposed South American routing, rather than Rio

Well consider that we're starting in South America, so my bad for saying the South American routing is correct - as if there were any other way to go.

Anyway, you're starting in Lima and a quick check of the schedules shows that AF did not offer any flights between Lima and Sao Paulo...

So far as I know, the only routing that fits the above parameters is the one shown above...
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How about MEA and Air Ceylon for the other two VC-10 operators

Definitely a couple of exotic VC10 operators, but alas, they didn't serve Heathrow for this period in 1976
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

82. Rather surprisingly, there are only four American cities that are served by Air France 747s. Identify the four cities.
New York JFK, Chicago and Houston have been identified. We need just one more...

It did not route through Vancouver...
82. Please allow me to add Anchorage to this list.

88. And speaking of Anchorage, how about ANC as the connecting city here with a KLM 747 nonstop from Amsterdam and then a Western Boeing 707-320 on to Honolulu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.