Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
83. Cairo, Egypt is quite the hotbed for Boeing 720 operations. Four airlines – all of the regional – offer a variety of flights into the Egyptian capitol. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please.

So, with this last comment would it be Lufthansa?

No, it wasn't Lufthansa either. If I remember correctly, Lufthansa didn't operate its 720Bs very long. I think most of them were gone by the late 60s...

We're looking for an African airline...
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
83. Cairo, Egypt is quite the hotbed for Boeing 720 operations ... We're looking for an African airline...
83- not Libyan Arab, not Kenya, not Ethiopian, not Sudan ... how about Royal Air Maroc

71- CDG-XXX-NAN ... ok, I seriously doubt this is anywhere close, but here's an "entirely different" route in the opposite direction: Pan Am, with a pair of 747s and the connection at LAX:
  • stops on the first flight: London/LHR, Seattle/SEA, and San Francisco/SFO
  • stops on the second flight: Honolulu/HNL and Pago Pago/PPG
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
deleted

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 19, 2020 at 8:23 pm Reason: didn;t see the last post
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
83. Working down the list of nearby African countries, Somali Airlines.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.
British Airways, East African, Ghana, Gulf Air and Air Malawi have been identified. Just one more to go...
85. Well, what the heck.....I'll throw a very wild guess out there: Laker Airways.

And I believe Sir Freddie Laker said something to this effect concerning the VC10: "You just pour champagne in the front and jet fuel in the back of the VC10....."
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
75. What is one unique and surprising aspect of jet service into Moscow, USSR in 1976?

Domestic flights from Alma Ata in this (TU-144 SST)

Well - this wasn't the answer I was looking for, but, as I did not specify WHEN in 1976, we will of course take this as correct!

That said, per the schedule I referenced for these questions, Aeroflot was shown to still be operating the IL-62 into Alma-Ata.

So then, allow me to rephrase the question -

Aside from TU-144 SST flights operating to Alma-Ata, what is one unique and surprising aspect of jet service into Moscow, USSR in 1976?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
83. Cairo, Egypt is quite the hotbed for Boeing 720 operations. Four airlines – all of the regional – offer a variety of flights into the Egyptian capitol. Three of them have been identified so far (Saudia, Alia and Yemen Airways). Please identify the fourth.

Not Libyan Arab, not Kenya, not Ethiopian, not Sudan ... how about Royal Air Maroc

C'mon now, J - Royal Air Maroc never operated the 720. Look on the other side of the continent...71. Lucky you! You need to fly from Paris to Nadi, Fiji. Oh No! How many connections is that going to take? As luck would have it, only one, on the same airline all the way through. The first flight will make three stops, the second flight just two. The equipment remains the same throughout. So then, please identify the airline, the enroute stops of each flight and the equipment type.

Okay, I seriously doubt this is anywhere close, but here's an "entirely different" route in the opposite direction: Pan Am, with a pair of 747s and the connection at LAX:
  • stops on the first flight: London/LHR, Seattle/SEA, and San Francisco/SFO
  • stops on the second flight: Honolulu/HNL and Pago Pago/PPG
Way to think out of the box, J A quick check of the schedules reflects that Pan Am did not offer any direct flights to LAX via SEA and SFO. Additionally, its service to PPT was still limited to 707s - which by the way is the aircraft of record here.

I admire your stick-to-it-iveness on this one! Please, guess again!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
83. Cairo, Egypt is quite the hotbed for Boeing 720 operations. Four airlines – all of the regional – offer a variety of flights into the Egyptian capitol. Three of them have been identified so far (Saudia, Alia and Yemen Airways). Please identify the fourth.

Working down the list of nearby African countries, Somali Airlines.

WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.
British Airways, East African, Ghana, Gulf Air and Air Malawi have been identified. Just one more to go...

Well, what the heck.....I'll throw a very wild guess out there: Laker Airways.

Well, I did find a nice looking sim-shot of a Laker VC10...

So far as I know however, Laker never flew the VC10. You'll want to look south and a tad east of London!

Please, guess again!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Paging WHBM: I was under the impression that Laker did indeed operate the VC10 at one point (but perhaps not in 1976 and never from LHR).

However, I may be in error here.....so again, please pick up the nearest concourse courtesy phone at your convenience, sir.

And while I'm at it, I'll throw Nigeria Airways out there for quiz question # 85.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 20, 2020 at 12:57 pm Reason: yet another wild guess
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
83. Royal Air Maroc never operated the 720.
AeroTransport Data Bank says otherwise (although it's not clear for how long)

71. A quick check of the schedules reflects that Pan Am did not offer any direct flights to LAX via SEA and SFO. Additionally, its service to PPT NAN was still limited to 707s - which by the way is the aircraft of record here.
71- I'm struggling with an eastbound single-carrier 707 routing that wouldn't touch any of the points I mentioned in my first guess (ATH, BAH, BOM, SIN, SYD, NOU) ... there are a handful of other candidate stops, but neither Air India nor BA served NAN, and Qantas wasn't at CDG

so let's keep with the westbound idea ... LAN, connecting in Santiago/SCL; the first flight stopping at Madrid/MAD, Rio/GIG, and Buenos Aires/EZE; the second stopping at Easter Island/IPC and Papeete/PPT
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Per Seat 2A: Royal Air Maroc never operated the 720.

AeroTransport Data Bank says otherwise (although it's not clear for how long) (1971-1982)

So they did. It's easy enough to find out the relevant dates, via various production lists published, etc.

According to ATDB, the two 720s were leased from Monarch. To wit:

G-BCBA - a 720-023B was leased from Monarch 9/79 - 1/80
G-AZKM - a 720-051B was leased from Monarch (earliest shown photo date in hybrid Monarch/RAM livery was 1978, though it may have been leased earlier. Unable to find evidence of such though...)

In any event, RAM is not shown to be operating a 720 into Cairo per the schedules I referenced for this question.

71. Lucky you! You need to fly from Paris to Nadi, Fiji. Oh No! How many connections is that going to take? As luck would have it, only one, on the same airline all the way through. The first flight will make three stops, the second flight just two. The equipment remains the same throughout. So then, please identify the airline, the enroute stops of each flight and the equipment type.

I'm struggling with an eastbound single-carrier 707 routing that wouldn't touch any of the points I mentioned in my first guess (ATH, BAH, BOM, SIN, SYD, NOU) ... there are a handful of other candidate stops, but neither Air India nor BA served NAN, and Qantas wasn't at CDG. So let's keep with the westbound idea ... LAN, connecting in Santiago/SCL; the first flight stopping at Madrid/MAD, Rio/GIG, and Buenos Aires/EZE; the second stopping at Easter Island/IPC and Papeete/PPT

Now we're talkin! Right on, J! Here's the schedules:

LAN Chile 173 Paris (ORY) 845p-1030p Madrid (MAD) 1140p-610a Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 755a-1035a Buenos Aires (EZE) 1210p-110p Santiago (SCL) Boeing 707 Wednesday Only

LAN Chile 133 Santiago (SCL) 300p-455p Easter Island (IPC) 555p-725p Papeete (PPT) 825p-1110p Nadi (NAN) Boeing 707 Thursday only
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, gang - here are the remaining questions

12. (2003) What a night! That little white ball was practically on fire as you burned up the roulette tables at Mandalay Bay to the tune of over $38000.00! So what the heck – why not fly back home to Burbank in First Class? As things turned out, there’s just one flight a day that even offers First Class between Las Vegas and Burbank and you’ve called just in time to purchase the last available seat. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

30. (1990) As a lifelong resident of south Florida, you’ve often had occasion to visit Mexico’s Caribbean coast via Merida and Cancun. This time however, you’re headed for the other side of Mexico, to Guadalajara in the western state of Jalisco. And this won’t be a vacation trip either. No – you’re looking to invest in a new boutique tequila operation being fronted by your friend Guillermo Paz, a well-known star of Mexican stage and cinema. Guillermo knows his agave and you’re looking forward to learning more about the operation. Although you were expecting to make at least one connection, you’re surprised to discover a single daily one stop direct flight. Ay yi yi! Vamanos!! Identificar la aerolínea, la parada en ruta y el tipo de avión.

33 . (2003) You had a helluva time getting from New York down to Los Cabos, what with a broken down airplane and a missed connection, but your travel travails were well worth it given the wonderful week of sun and fun that you’ve enjoyed. And, as if things couldn’t get any better, you’ve been upgraded to First Class on your two-stop direct flight back to JFK. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll return home on as well as the two enroute stops.

The following questions are all sourced from a 1976 International OAG

73. What is the largest jet serving Kabul, Afghanistan? Which airline operates it?

75. Aside from TU-144 SST flights operating to Alma-Ata,what is one unique and surprising aspect of jet service into Moscow, USSR in 1976?

76. After a week of vacationing on the sun splashed beaches of Jamaica, it’s time to return home to Rome. You’ve found a nice routing involving a single connection utilizing two different airlines. The first flight will be nonstop. Dinner will be served onboard. The connecting flight will make two stops enroute. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Alright then – figure it all out, please.
A N S W E R E D

78. After .a wonderful time on safari in Uganda, it’s off to the airport for your first flight aboard a Super VC-10. Oh No! Your Land Rover gets a flat tire along the way and by the time you finally get to the airport, you watch as your VC-10 climbs into the clear blue skies above Entebbe. Thankfully for you, on that particular day there’s another flight aboard the same airline later that afternoon. However, it’s not a VC-10. It’s a DC-3. What airline are you flying on and where are you likely flying to?
A N S W E R E D

79. I’ve found two countries that have more than two airlines based in each country that operate the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Identify each country and its respective Electra Operators. One country has three operators, the other has four.

80. While there are still a few Comets operating charter flights, in 1976 I’ve been able to find only one that still operates scheduled flights with the venerable Comet 4. Which airline is it?
A N S W E R E D

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. This includes both domestic and International flights. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this lone 707 flight.
It's not in Florida or Baltimore

87. (The WHBM Special) What is the longest twin jet flight out of London Gatwick? Please identify airline, aircraft and of course, the route.
A N S W E R E D
Bonus Question 87B: What is the longest NONSTOP twin jet flight out of London Gatwick? Please identify the airline and aircraft as well.

89. You need to fly from Athens to Miami ASAP. As fate would have it, all of the nonstop or direct flights on Sunday through New York are sold out. Hmm… well, there’s more than one way to get from Europe to Miami. Following a bit of research, you’ve found a viable routing departing tomorrow morning involving two airlines – both from the same country - and just one connecting point. The first flight is nonstop. The second flight makes three enroute stops. Can you identify the airlines involved, the single aircraft type flown, the routing and the connection point?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 21, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Paging WHBM: I was under the impression that Laker did indeed operate the VC10 at one point (but perhaps not in 1976 and never from LHR).

However, I may be in error here.....so again, please pick up the nearest concourse courtesy phone at your convenience, sir.

And while I'm at it, I'll throw Nigeria Airways out there for quiz question # 85.
Nope, it wasn't Nigeria Airways. You'll want to look to the east...

Here's an article supporting Laker ownership of a VC10 - apparently the aircraft never word Laker colors and was immediately sub-leased to MEA. From his article, there is no evidence of Laker having ever operated the VC10 in revenue service...

Laker ownership of VC10

Meanwhile, here's an interesting article about Sir Freddie and the VC10...

Freddie Laker and the VC10
jlemon likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA
Laker never operated the VC-10. They did buy the prototype G-ARTA in 1968 when Vickers were done with development, but only because they had an immediate customer to lease it, MEA, who took it just a few days later. At the end of the lease over a year later Laker sold it directly to British United, again without ever operating it. So they were just a leasing company with it, it was never on their AOC.

Nigeria Airways used to operate a dual-designation VC-10, flown by BOAC, on their London route, but then bought the first BOAC aircraft and fully put it into their own colours in 1969, which was considered quite a step up at the time for the national operator, obtaining their own crews for it. Within a month of it entering service it crashed at Lagos with the loss of all on board. Nigeria Airways never touched the VC-10 again. Of the accident crew, all VC-10 experienced and obtained through a London agency, the captain had been retired by BOAC when he reached the age 55 then in force just a few weeks before, the others had been assembled from East African and British United.
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 20, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.