Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe you are correct. If memory serves, I think Wings West (which would later begin American Eagle service in California) and WestAir (which would later begin United Express service in California) were still operating as independent commuter air carriers during the summer of 1983. Meanwhile, SkyWest (which would initially begin Western Express code sharing service on behalf of Western, then become the Delta Connection out west followed by a switch to United Express when UA dropped WestAir) wasn't operating yet from LAX but would subsequently acquire SunAire, a small independent commuter airline that was operating Metro II aircraft in southern California including LAX service in the summer of 1983.

And so to your bonus question....

I'll guess we are looking for two air carriers here operating flights in the Friendly Skies between San Francisco International and Sacramento: United with mainline jet service and WestAir operating as United Express with commuter turboprop equipment. As for UA mainline (call sign "United", of course), aircraft operated between SFO and SMF may have included the B727-100, B727-200, B737-200 and B737-300. I seem to recall WestAir was operating a number of different twin turboprop aircraft at this time on its United Express services (I was a frequent passenger on their San Luis Obispo - San Francisco flights at this time) to include the BAe Jetstream 31, Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante, Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia and Short 360. And I think WestAir's call sign was "Sundance".

BTW, the predecessor of WestAir was STOL Air Commuter, an interesting little airline that operated a hub at SFO with flights to destinations in northern California including Gnoss Field in Marin County. STOL Air was one of the few commuter air carriers in the U.S. to operate the 18-passenger seat Britten-Norman BN-2A Trislander. Back in 1978, STOL Air Commuter flights operated from a TWA gate at SFO. Here's their timetable cover and route map along with TWA connecting flight information from 1978....

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...e78/oe78-1.jpg
All correct on the two carriers operating on behalf of UA in the SFO-SMF market. I believe that every type ever operated by Fresno-based WestAir (OE) made its way on to SFO-SMF at some point in time except the BAe 146. I certainly flew every type you mentioned as being operated in 1989. As for WestAir's radio callsign it changed from "Shasta" to "Sundance" at some point in time... Apparently Shasta sounded a bit too much like Cessna.

And of course United's radio callsign was... United!

For the 1989 timeline I believe your listing of mainline equipment operating SFO-SMF is complete however I will point out that at other times UA had a 767 on the route. I'm sure given UA's long history of operating flights that routed SFO-SMF-somewhere else, it is highly likely that SFO-SMF saw scheduled service by every piece of mainline UA equipment in the '70s and '80s save for the 747.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Probably one of the Gulf stops, so a guessing game. What about Doha ?

Did the VC-10 continue beyond Delhi to Bangkok and Hong Kong ? BA were still running at that stage their evidently worthwhile route from Hong Kong to Johannesburg, remaining from the time when BOAC ran all the intercontinental routes from Hong Kong, to USA, Australia, Africa, and Europe (with a monopoly to London). Cathay Pacific was only slowly emerging from being just a regional carrier. The Johannesburg flight, still a VC-10 but later a 747, hopped across the Indian Ocean through Colombo and Mauritius, and some years made a huge triangle London-Hong Kong-Johannesburg-London that took the best part of a week. BA long had a significant crew base at Hong Kong.
47. Doha is correct! It appears the BA VC-10 flight in question did not travel any further east than Dacca (spelled Dhaka these days) in Bangladesh where it then turned around and headed back to London Heathrow. Thus, Delhi had four BA VC-10 departures a week at this time with a twice a week eastbound routing of LHR - DOH - DEL - DAC and back again the same way westbound with BA operating all of its other flights into Delhi with 747 equipment with nonstop and one stop service from Heathrow. It also appears that BA was operating all of its flights to Hong Kong and Bangkok from LHR and vice versa with 747 equipment in early 1980.

BTW, the other air carriers operating flights from London Heathrow to Delhi at this time included Air India (of course) with nonstop, one stop and two stop 747 service, Japan Air Lines with two stop and three stop 747 service, Pan Am with one stop and two stop 747 service, and Thai International with nonstop DC-10 service. None of these flights to include the BA services were operated on a daily basis.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 19, 2020 at 3:15 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TPJ
TAT with F28-1000?

I recall in late 80's DXB was a transit point of some BA flights to DEL (operated with L-1011's). So let me try with DXB as airlines rarely change their normal patterns
42. Touraine Air Transport (TAT) is correct....but not with an F.28 Fellowship. Please guess again, sir!

47. The stop made by this BA VC-10 service en route from LHR to DEL was actually Doha (DOH). Please see my response above to an earlier guess made by WHBM.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687

For the 1989 timeline I believe your listing of mainline equipment operating SFO-SMF is complete however I will point out that at other times UA had a 767 on the route. I'm sure given UA's long history of operating flights that routed SFO-SMF-somewhere else, it is highly likely that SFO-SMF saw scheduled service by every piece of mainline UA equipment in the '70s and '80s save for the 747.
And I remember back in the mid 1970's when besides the B727-200, one also had a choice of flying on board either a B737-200 or an L-1011 with all three airplanes being operated on the SFO-SMF route by good old PSA....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ec/90...8f2d007a1d.jpg

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 19, 2020 at 3:59 pm Reason: fixed photo link & clarification
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA
None of these flights to include the BA services were operated on a daily basis.
Do you have the BA schedule of the era for Hong Kong to Johannesburg ? Was it a VC-10 or a 747 (at half the frequency) ? They certainly changed from one to the other around this time. I'm guessing it was fairly early in 1980; the last BA VC-10 flight of all was 30 March 1981, Dar-es-Salaam to London.

BA services eastwards were effectively on a weekly repeating timetable, no two services within the week the same but plenty of places ended up served near-daily. I believe London to Hong Kong was twice daily on 747s at the time but no two flights in the same week did the same stops. There was a poster on another board a few years ago who had been a BA scheduler of all this, who described the various parameters used, which started with different demand between the intermediate points on different days.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Do you have the BA schedule of the era for Hong Kong to Johannesburg ? Was it a VC-10 or a 747 (at half the frequency) ? They certainly changed from one to the other around this time. I'm guessing it was fairly early in 1980; the last BA VC-10 flight of all was 30 March 1981, Dar-es-Salaam to London.
Here's what I was able to find from Johannesburg to Hong Kong in early 1980....

HKG80p1

As you can see, BA was operating a VC-10 (OAG code VCX) at this time twice a week from JNB to HKG via stops at Mahe Island in the Seychelles and Colombo. Unfortunately, I cannot find a return schedule from Hong Kong to Johannesburg for early 1980.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 19, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA
As you can see, BA was operating a VC-10 (OAG code VCX) at this time twice a week from JNB to HKG via stops at Mahe Island in the Seychelles and Colombo. Unfortunately, I cannot find a return schedule from Hong Kong to Johannesburg for early 1980.
The VC-10 must have worked out from London through Jo'burg, to Hong Kong. Given it ran on Sunday and Tuesday the same aircraft probably did two round trips before getting back to London. That must have taken almost a week. Pretty reliable aircraft to work that long away from base.

I understand that BOAC, and on to the long-haul side of BA for a good while, had "proper" flight engineers, career crew members rather than junior trainee pilots. They had done considerable time in the engineering shops before moving on to the flight deck, and were fully licenced for A&P work on the aircraft. BEA in comparison had three pilots on their larger aircraft. Come the merger, which coincided with the arrival of the Tristar which was to serve routes of both former operators, and it was an issue that rolled on and on. Juniors at BOAC typically started as navigators, which BEA, with no long-haul, did not need.

Meanwhile I notice the OAG has Pan Am down as also on Hong Kong to London. Maybe, but you couldn't book it. You could take the flight from Hong Kong to anywhere else along the way, or from there to London, but Hong Kong to London was regarded as a "cabotage" route, effectively domestic, and only British carriers (and thus only BA) could sell tickets on it. One result was there were charters, one of the few routes other than transatlantic where this happened, Caledonian (later B Cal) and Laker were common in Hong Kong, which usefully peaked in winter, the opposite of transatlantic.

There was an interesting fight around this time. The UK government decided a second carrier was required on the route, and all of Cathay Pacific, B Cal and Laker applied for it. The UK government gave it to B Cal. This caused a considerable diplomatic upset in Hong Kong (UK expat officials but very locally-minded about Cathay), and they unexpectedly refused to give their end of the clearance. Meanwhile there was a change of government minister in the UK, who decided differently, that they all could start it if they wished. Laker withdrew, B Cal cut their proposed frequencies, but Cathay went straight into their first European route.
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 19, 2020 at 5:06 pm
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
52- my only recollection as to CO's operation says it's almost certainly an intrastate tag to FLL ... I have come up with eight possibilities, but since I **really** don't want to play the one-at-a-time guessing game again I'll ask for jlemon's indulgence to narrow the field on the basis of distance if the two nearest ones are wrong ... we've talked many times about the 21-mile hop from Miami/MIA over the years, but I think West Palm Beach/PBI (at twice that) would be slightly more viable in 1987
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
52- my only recollection as to CO's operation says it's almost certainly an intrastate tag to FLL ... I have come up with eight possibilities, but since I **really** don't want to play the one-at-a-time guessing game again I'll ask for jlemon's indulgence to narrow the field on the basis of distance if the two nearest ones are wrong ... we've talked many times about the 21-mile hop from Miami/MIA over the years, but I think West Palm Beach/PBI (at twice that) would be slightly more viable in 1987
52. But......I thought the OTAQ&D was meant to be a guessing game! And you have guessed correctly. Here's the sched....

CO 728: Long Island MacArthur (ISP) 7:15p - 8:28p Washington Dulles (IAD) 8:55p - 11:05p West Palm Beach (PBI) 11:25p - 11:55p Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: None
Equip: B737-300
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
But......I thought the OTAQ&D was meant to be a guessing game! ...
well, yes, but just sayin’ (again) that being constrained to one-at-a-time “pitch-and-catch” gets a bit tedious, especially when trying to nail down an enroute stop from among seven or eight (or more) possibilities

there’s a point at which a transition from Quiz to Discussion would probably be a good idea; imo three guesses is about the limit, unless negative responses have included some additional insights (and not necessarily phrased as explicit “hints”) ... I’ll offer that there are logical ways to aggregate cities to either generally narrow the field
(e.g., distance) or make a reasonable multi-guess (e.g., geography, size)

to be continued ...
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah...
It's good to be back home, even if it is -20 or so outside. I'm looking forward to once again participating in all the festivities here at the OTAQ&D starting tomorrow. I would tonight but I have company.
So, until tomorrow, the shortest day of the year, I'll leave you with a link to what our Arctic day looks like this time of year up here in Fairbanks.

jlemon and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

42.It's 1977. You are in Paris and and will fly nonstop to Carcassonne departing from Orly Airport. The flight in question only operates on weekdays and is also the only flight operated by the airline in question from ORY to CCF. What air carrier will be you be flying with and on what type of aircraft? The air carrier was Touraine Air Transport (TAT) and the equipment was a jet.... but not a Fokker F.28 Fellowship. So all we need here is the aircraft type.
42- I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess it was a VFW/Fokker 614, which was notable for its engines being mounted on pylons above the wing (as well as for being an “orphan” type, with less than 20 in airline service)
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, yes, but just sayin’ (again) that being constrained to one-at-a-time “pitch-and-catch” gets a bit tedious, especially when trying to nail down an enroute stop from among seven or eight (or more) possibilities

there’s a point at which a transition from Quiz to Discussion would probably be a good idea; imo three guesses is about the limit, unless negative responses have included some additional insights (and not necessarily phrased as explicit “hints”) ... I’ll offer that there are logical ways to aggregate cities to either generally narrow the field
(e.g., distance) or make a reasonable multi-guess (e.g., geography, size)

to be continued ...
Well, you obviously have a choice here.

And if a particular quiz question does not suit you because you deem it to be "tedious", then simply do not respond to it.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

42- I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess it was a VFW/Fokker 614, which was notable for its engines being mounted on pylons above the wing (as well as for being an “orphan” type, with less than 20 in airline service)
42. Yep, Touraine Air Transport (TAT) was operating the VFW 614 on this service. Here's the sched...

IJ 201: Paris Orly (ORY) 8:40a - 10:00a Carcassonne (CCF)
Freq: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service class: Y
Equip: 614
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I remember using this flight as the basis for a question a couple of years back. I loved the timing as it was mostly a daytime flight departing Hong Kong at about noon with a mid-afternoon departure out of Colombo and a potential sunset departure out of the Seychelles. That is a dream flight in my book, especially if I were sitting in First Class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.