Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. (1990) JL Special No sooner have you stepped off Windjammer’s three-masted Barquentine at Port of Spain than you receive a telegram from your old college buddy. There’s been a last minute cancellation in his group that’s about to embark on a journey from Honolulu down to Christmas Island to fish for bonefish and grouper. Care to join them? If you can make it over to Honolulu by Sunday night, there’ll be a berth with your name on it in the aft cabin.

Faced with the prospect of returning home to Duluth, Minnesota or enjoying a couple additional weeks of sun, fun and camaraderie in the Pacific, you quickly telegraph back “Ya sure, you betcha! I’ll find a way to get there in time. Details to follow. STOP”

Imagine then, your surprise and delight to discover a direct, three stop flight departing Port of Spain each morning and arriving Honolulu just 21 hours and 46 minutes later. You make the call to the airline in question and book a seat - in First Class, of course! This itinerary is far too long to be traveled in anything but. Please identify the airline, the routing and the aircraft involved.

Time for a very wild guess indeed.... American operating a DC-10 with stops in San Juan, New York Kennedy and Los Angeles.

You were well on target with American's DC-10 stopping first in San Juan. After that you veered wildly off the flight path and disappeared out over the Saragasso Sea. SJU is correct! but JFK and LAX - logical stopping points though they are - are not. As such, we're looking for two different stops between SJU and HNL. You can do it!
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
11. (1995) The jrl767 Special It’s been a great week of sun and fun on the black sand beaches of Hawaii’s Big Island, but alas, duty calls – this time in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Well, it beats Toledo, Ohio you suppose. On a positive note, you’ve come up with a great itinerary on a fairly straightforward route involving four nonstop flights operated by four airlines, each operating aircraft built by a different manufacturer. Please identify all the usual stuff – airlines, route and aircraft.

I’m pretty confident that this is one of those questions for which there are doubtless several plausible answers, so I’m going to posit a somewhat roundabout — though certainly “fairly straightforward” — route that starts with a bit of a backtrack:
  • Kona/KOA-Honolulu/HNL, Hawaiian DC-9-50
  • HNL-Los Angeles/LAX, Delta, L-1011
  • LAX-Newark/EWR, American, 767-200
  • EWR-SJU, Continental, A300
KOA --> HNL --> LAX are correct! EWR is not. You'll need to be even more "straightforward" on your routing.
You struck gold with Delta and the L-1011 between HNL and LAX.
American is also involved, but not with a 762, and not involving EWR
HA and CO are not involved.
No DC-9-50s are involved.
An A300 is involved at some point, but not in or out of EWR

Alright, that should provide you with a few more clues to get a lot more done on this one. Good luck!
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
11. KOA --> HNL --> LAX are correct! EWR is not. You'll need to be even more "straightforward" on your routing.
You struck gold with Delta and the L-1011 between HNL and LAX.
American is also involved, but not with a 762, and not involving EWR
HA and CO are not involved.
No DC-9-50s are involved.
An A300 is involved at some point, but not in or out of EWR
11- there’s a large part of my brain that says AA is the A300 operator; the “straightforward” criterion suggests Miami/MIA as the last connection point

unless there’s a small intrastate carrier that I’m not aware of, our Boeing equipment is an Aloha 737-200 on the first leg, which would mean LAX-MIA on a DC-10, and AA was the dominant carrier in that market

so I’m going to leverage an answer to a different question and offer Carnival as the AB3 operator LAX-MIA, with the AA D10 on the final leg MIA-SJU
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11- there’s a large part of my brain that says AA is the A300 operator; the “straightforward” criterion suggests Miami/MIA as the last connection point

unless there’s a small intrastate carrier that I’m not aware of, our Boeing equipment is an Aloha 737-200 on the first leg, which would mean LAX-MIA on a DC-10, and AA was the dominant carrier in that market

so I’m going to leverage an answer to a different question and offer Carnival as the AB3 operator LAX-MIA, with the AA D10 on the final leg MIA-SJU
I'm at my sister's place in Colorado and since she's changed her password, I've got to use her desktop. She's asleep and this mouse is practically unmaneuverable - like the mouse pointer is on speed and good acid. So, a slight change from my usual format is called for...

So, you've got the routing down. Very straight - forward. OGG-HNL-LAX-MIA-SJU.
A DC-10 is involved, but it wasn't operated by AA and it wasn't flown between MIA and SJU
Carnival is not involved in this itinerary

So, thinking about what is known vs disproved, I sense greater clarity emerging in subsequent responses...
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11. (1995) The jrl767 Special It’s been a great week of sun and fun on the black sand beaches of Hawaii’s Big Island, but alas, duty calls – this time in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

So, you've got the routing down. Very straight - forward. OGG-HNL-LAX-MIA-SJU.

A DC-10 is involved, but it wasn't operated by AA and it wasn't flown between MIA and SJU
Carnival is not involved in this itinerary.
hmmmmmmm … something is a bit off here, geographically (although I’m passing through 7000 ft on descent to IAD)

if we’re indeed starting at OGG and not KOA, it indeed seems pretty clear
  • OGG-HNL CO D10
  • HNL-LAX DL L10
  • LAX-MIA UA 763
  • MIA-SJU AA AB3

3- SJU-XXX-YYC, CO to AC; since XXX isn't IAH, it has to be EWR

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 13, 2023 at 11:33 am Reason: append next guess for Q3
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5. (1990) JL Special No sooner have you stepped off Windjammer’s three-masted Barquentine at Port of Spain than you receive a telegram from your old college buddy. There’s been a last minute cancellation in his group that’s about to embark on a journey from Honolulu down to Christmas Island to fish for bonefish and grouper. Care to join them? If you can make it over to Honolulu by Sunday night, there’ll be a berth with your name on it in the aft cabin.

Faced with the prospect of returning home to Duluth, Minnesota or enjoying a couple additional weeks of sun, fun and camaraderie in the Pacific, you quickly telegraph back “Ya sure, you betcha! I’ll find a way to get there in time. Details to follow. STOP”

Imagine then, your surprise and delight to discover a direct, three stop flight departing Port of Spain each morning and arriving Honolulu just 21 hours and 46 minutes later. You make the call to the airline in question and book a seat - in First Class, of course! This itinerary is far too long to be traveled in anything but. Please identify the airline, the routing and the aircraft involved.
5. Well, at least I got the airline, equipment and first stop correct....

So with that observation, let's go with the American DC-10 making the second stop at Chicago O'Hare and the third stop in San Francisco following the first stop in San Juan.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11. (1995) The jrl767 Special It’s been a great week of sun and fun on the black sand beaches of Hawaii’s Big Island, but alas, duty calls – this time in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Well, it beats Toledo, Ohio you suppose. On a positive note, you’ve come up with a great itinerary on a fairly straightforward route involving four nonstop flights operated by four airlines, each operating aircraft built by a different manufacturer. Please identify all the usual stuff – airlines, route and aircraft.

hmmmmmmm … something is a bit off here, geographically (although I’m passing through 7000 ft on descent to IAD)
If we’re indeed starting at OGG and not KOA, it indeed seems pretty clear
  • KOA-HNL UA D10
  • HNL-LAX DL L10
  • LAX-MIA No 767s involved...
  • MIA-SJU AA AB3
MY BAD! Brain cramp. It's KOA. I'll give you UA on that leg. Least I could do. You're spot on regarding matching aircraft to routings with the exception of LAX-MIA, which was neither UA nor a 767 of any variant.

3. (1995) With the insanity of Spring Break due to hit Florida’sbeachesnext week, now would be a great time for a week of fresh powder and challenging slopes at the three world-class ski resorts in Banff National Park – Mt. Norquay, Sunshine Village and the Lake Louise ski Resort. You’ve found a convenient itinerary departing West Palm Beach involving two nonstop flights, operated by two different airlines – each operating different models of aircraft built by the same aircraft manufacturer. You know the drill by now. Please identify all the particulars…

SJU-XXX-YYC, CO to AC; since XXX isn't IAH, it has to be EWR

Ya, mon! You betcha!

Continental CO 872 West Palm Beach (PBI) 900a-1143a B New York (EWR) A300B Daily
Air Canada AC 839 New York (EWR) 135p-425p L Calgary (YYC) A320-200 Sa Su
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, at least I got the airline, equipment and first stop correct.... So with that observation, let's go with the American DC-10 making the second stop at Chicago O'Hare and the third stop in San Francisco following the first stop in San Juan.

You are ever so close! Just swap out SFO with the correct airport...
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given the current lull in interest exhibited here, I'm gonna pull these questions in deference to jrl767's upcoming collection of vastly superior and more entertaining batch of questions! More info. in post 28410 below....

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 15, 2023 at 12:54 am
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5. Three times pays for all, Monty....

And for the third stop, I'll guess Dallas/Fort Worth.

Thus, my final guess is an AA DC-10 operating POS-SJU-ORD-DFW-HNL.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Three times pays for all, Monty.... And for the third stop, I'll guess Dallas/Fort Worth. Thus, my final guess is an AA DC-10 operating POS-SJU-ORD-DFW-HNL.

OMG! I'm in shock! It wasn't DFW. On a positive note, that's three responses though.

You're also good to have a go at another question - and have been regardless of this question's 2/3 response status
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
4. I have to admit I don't have a clue as to which airlines would have operated SEZ-HNL with the non-stop and 1-stop parameter.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
4. I have to admit I don't have a clue as to which airlines would have operated SEZ-HNL with the non-stop and 1-stop parameter.
No worries, YVR! You're still good to respond to another new question today - just not two.

Keep in mind that you could also have another go at #4. You've already made 2 responses to it so far. Even if you're wrong on your third guess, so what? You've satisfied the three responses and are free to have a go at a fresh two.

Now get out there and answer some questions!!
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Goal: Minimize abandoned questions

Alright, alright. I can see this is too confusing. It's back to the old ways - two a days whenever you want.

Once someone has attempted to answer or partially answers a question and then disappears from play and/or moves on to a fresh set of two, I will view that question as abandoned.

Abandoned questions will henceforth be removed from play, to be reinstated during the next doldrums in a month or two - whenever that should occur.

Alright than, let's clear these questions outta here!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 14, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ah well, it appears I may have been a bit early with this batch of questions. Additionally, my approach to minimizing abandoned questions does not appear to have been well received. Well let me tell ya, guys - this stuff (abandoned questions) pisses me off. I will not let it stand. At the same time, my current approach would appear to be the wrong one, so no worries! The current lull in participation. combines nicely with an opportunity to drive off into the desert sunset for a few days . It also creates the perfect opportunity to turn the festivities over to jrl767, who's next set of questions is just about ready. I'll check back with these questions and hopefully more during the next lull in a few weeks. As to abandoned questions, I will continue to explore additional options to address this annoyance.

For now though - I'm off to the Mojave Desert! So then, let's all give a rousing round of applause to jrl767, welcome his next round of queries! and give him your best effort

As for me, I'm outta here!!!!!!! You boys have some fun over the next few weeks with jrl767. You've earned it!

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 16, 2023 at 1:48 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.