Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
83. Cairo, Egypt is quite the hotbed for Boeing 720 operations. Four airlines – all of the regional – offer a variety of flights into the Egyptian capitol. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please. Answers such as “Well it could be xxx” will be summarily ignored.

- 720s into CAI — thanks to WHBM for mentioning Olympic in an answer to a different question I’ll offer Air Malta for another. As to the fourth, I know El Al flew 720s, but certainly didn’t serve CAI; most of the other national carriers in that part of the world had European- and Russian-built jets in their medium-range fleets ... geography notwithstanding per my earlier musing, I’m guessing PK

All excellent submissions, J - and yet rather amazingly ALL of them are wrong. I was especially surprised that no MEA 720s served CAI but I think MEA came into much of its 720 fleet a bit later than 1976...

Anyway, please - guess again!

Per WHBM: Another (and possibly the closest) possibility might be Cyprus Airways, who had a 720B (ex-American) operated for them by Tempair, who were a UK-based wet-leasing company. Cyprus had their Trident/One-Eleven fleet, and their airport at Nicosia, destroyed in the 1974 invasion, they eventually got the basis of what is now Larnaca airport going and leased a few odd aircraft to start with, including this one. Using a 720B on a 350 mile trip at 1976 fuel prices is a bit extravagant, but it was all they had.

Nor was it Cyprus. It utilized a DC-9
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;32608720]
Originally Posted by WHBM
84. From your home office in Rome, you need to get to Johannesburg, South Africa. Quickly. As in right now. Well, geez – it’s Saturday. Alitalia’s got a single one stop flight and it’s sold out. But hey – look at this! There’s a single online (same airline) connection involving two four engine Boeing jetliners. You’ll fly nonstop to the connection point and then catch a one-stop flight from there on to Johannesburg. Identify the airline, the routing and of course the aircraft types.

There's not a lot of Europe left if you are at Rome already. But Olympic's 720Bs ran wholly within it, such as Rome to Athens, connecting onto their 707-320C Athens-Nairobi-Jo'burg.

WHBM - You Da Man!!! Olympic it is, routing through NBO. It's interesting to note how many Greek airports - notably islands - were served by Olympic's 720s. Anyway, here's the schedule:
Notably, the original question could also be fully answered as El Al, a 720B Rome to Tel Aviv connecting to a TLV-Nairobi-Jo'burg 707. Now you may think El Al doesn't run on Saturdays, but the first aircraft, having waited it out at Rome, ran a flight to Tel Aviv arriving there shortly after sunset, and connecting to the onward flight which left at midnight.

Regarding the Greek islands, Olympic did a lot of holiday flights from there to Europe with the 720Bs - Frankfurt, London Gatwick, Manchester etc. They often seemed integrated with scheduled domestic flights to/from Athens. Eventually this market got taken by holiday flight operators at the other end - even at a minor island point like Kos, by 1976 you would already find British Airtours 707s, Monarch 720Bs, Conair 720s, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks to jlemon and WHBM for the interesting repartee about the Comet 4C at O'Hare. It very nicely exemplifies the pleasures and benefits of D in OTAQ&D
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whbm
Notably, the original question could also be fully answered as el al, a 720b rome to tel aviv connecting to a tlv-nairobi-jo'burg 707. Now you may think el al doesn't run on saturdays, but the first aircraft, having waited it out at rome, ran a flight to tel aviv arriving there shortly after sunset, and connecting to the onward flight which left at midnight.

Certainly probable as EL AL did indeed run a 720 between Rome and Tel Aviv, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Its nonstop 707 flights between Tel Aviv and Johannesburg only operated on Monday and Wednesdays. Here are the schedules:

EL AL LY 386 Rome (FCO) 235p-635p Tel Aviv (TLV) Boeing 720 tu th only

EL AL LY 513/517 Tel Aviv (TLV) 1030p-650a Johannesburg (JNB) Boeing 707 mo we only
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Certainly probable as EL AL did indeed run a 720 between Rome and Tel Aviv, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Its nonstop 707 flights between Tel Aviv and Johannesburg only operated on Monday and Wednesdays. Here are the schedules:
Notable change from just a few months earlier in mid-1975
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:48 am

Nor was it Cyprus. It utilized a DC-9
Ah, those aircraft. The first jets that the "new" Cyprus Airways got when they built the new airport at Larnaca (after running Viscounts leased from British Midland out of a very temporary strip). They were the two DC9-10 that used to belong to ALM in the Caribbean. Douglas had traded them in for new DC9-30 models, and let the restarted (and cashless) Cyprus Airways have them at a very cheap rate by the month for a short while, doubtless hoping they would soon buy new models. But they bought BAC One-Elevens (again) instead .

The Cyprus Airways Tridents, which had previously been the regulars on flights to Cairo, were all caught on the ground at Nicosia in the fighting, one was destroyed, another damaged, and the other two sat there for several years until in a remarkable recovery attempt by British Airways, they bought them, got them going again, and flew them out of the abandoned airport stuck in no-mans-land between the two sides. The one in BEA colours nowadays at Duxford museum, familiar to some here, is one of them. Meanwhile, the damaged one is still there at Nicosia ! Getting on for 50 years now it's been there, abandoned, faded in the sun, untouched, just like the rest of the buildings etc in that strip of Cyprus. When on holiday there a few years ago I tried, unsuccessfully, to spot it from the A9 highway that passes to the south of it, just inside the Greek Cyprus border. But I did see it, to my surprise, just last year from the window seat of a BA 747, routing London to Dubai, which passed high overhead. Here she is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ni...9!4d33.3822764

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1616...7i12000!8i6000

Cyprus Airways didn't serve Cairo for much longer, following this extraordinary unexpected incident at Larnaca airport in 1978 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypti...tional_Airport
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 17, 2020 at 6:45 am
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:21 am

82. Rather surprisingly, there are only three American cities that are served by Air France 747s. Identify the three cities. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please. Answers such as “Well it could be xxx” will be summarily ignored.
You asked for cities, so I'll start the guessing with New York City, Boston, and Washington, DC.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.

If the connection point wasn't LAX, then perhaps it was the closer one also ending with X, MEX.

Nope - not MEX. If it did, it would require a connection to Qantas flying the old Fiesta Route through Acapulco to Papeete. Alas, that would appear to have been discontinued by 1976.
I didn't realize ACA once had int'l service(!). I can't imagine where else both AR and AF would have service in the neighborhood that makes sense. It's a little far to PPT but how about PTY?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

88. It’s a dreary Sunday afternoon in Amsterdam when you receive a cable from your old seafaring pal jlemon. He’s found a great deal hitching a ride aboard a yacht between Honolulu and Bora Bora and as luck would have it there’s room for one more. Can you get to Honolulu by tonight? Whaaaat? Hmm…well it certainly sounds good. It's a little after noon here in Amsterdam which would make it about 1:00am in Honolulu. Let’s see… Well how ‘bout that! Yes! There’s a routing involving a single connection utilizing two nonstop flights. You’ll depart Amsterdam late this afternoon, have a one hour and fifty minute layover at the connecting point and then fly nonstop to Honolulu arriving a little after 1030p tonight, Honolulu time. Two different airlines utilizing American built equipment will be used. Identify the airlines involved, the aircraft flown and the connection point.
A strong possibility for this one would be KLM with a DC-8 flying AMS-YVR connecting to a CPAir DC-8S YVR-HNL (and onward to the SW Pacific).
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.
77. Well, let's see here.....we know the first flight will be on board an Aerolineas Argentinas Boeing 707 from Buenos Aires. So I'll guess this flight stopped in Santiago and then continued on to Lima where the connection would be made. And that means that Air France was operating nonstop Boeing 707 service from Lima to Papeete at this time.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
85. High oil prices notwithstanding, the VC-10 is still a popular airplane flown by a good number of international airlines. Focusing on London’s Heathrow Airport, identify each of the six airlines that serve LHR with VC10s.
85- many of that "good number of international airlines" were African and Middle Eastern carriers ... presuming of course that BA was one of the operators, herewith my first guess at the other five:
  1. Central African Airways
  2. East African Airways
  3. Ghana Airways
  4. Gulf Air
  5. Nigeria Airways

86. It’s not often you’re faced with such an exotic itinerary, but after consulting on a major dam construction project in Peru, you now need to fly across the globe to Peking, China. Rather surprisingly, you’ve found a routing departing Wednesday out of Lima using just one airline that makes two connections enroute. It’s a fairly straight line routing as well – no crazy zig zagging – so it’s well within the Maximum Permitted Mileage parameters. The aircraft type remains the same throughout. The first two flights are nonstop. The final flight – from the second connecting point – makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the two connecting points.
86- at first reading, the destination of Peking/PEK in 1976 strongly suggests that the airline in question was Aeroflot, which in turn means that the aircraft was an IL-62 ... the connecting points would have been Havana/HAV and Moscow/SVO, and the enroute stop on the cross-Siberia flight would have most likely been Irkutsk ... the problem with this logic is that I'm pretty sure an IL6 couldn't make HAV-SVO without a fuel stop

as far as Western European carriers serving PEK, Air France is the only one that comes immediately to mind ... the third flight would have been Paris/CDG-Karachi/KHI-PEK, so the issue is whether LIM-XXX-CDG was via northern or southern South America ... for now I'll guess Rio de Janeiro/GIG, and a 707-328B/C on each segment
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:44 am

86. It’s not often you’re faced with such an exotic itinerary, but after consulting on a major dam construction project in Peru, you now need to fly across the globe to Peking, China. Rather surprisingly, you’ve found a routing departing Wednesday out of Lima using just one airline that makes two connections enroute. It’s a fairly straight line routing as well – no crazy zig zagging – so it’s well within the Maximum Permitted Mileage parameters. The aircraft type remains the same throughout. The first two flights are nonstop. The final flight – from the second connecting point – makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the two connecting points.
Air France 707 Lima-Tahiti
Air France 707 Tahiti-Tokyo
Air France 707 Tokyo-Fukuoka-Beijing
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
86- the problem with this logic is that I'm pretty sure an IL6 couldn't make HAV-SVO without a fuel stop
t
The (in)famous YQX technical stop (pretty sure it'll be unlisted in OAG)?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per Seat 2A: Certainly probable as EL AL did indeed run a 720 between Rome and Tel Aviv, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Its nonstop 707 flights between Tel Aviv and Johannesburg only operated on Monday and Wednesdays.

Per WHBM: Notable change from just a few months earlier in mid-1975

I seem to recall El Al's Johannesburg flight schedules being discussed a couple thousand questions back with regard to what was then the longest Boeing 720 flight. It had been surmised that it might be Avianca's 3973 mile leg between Madrid and San Juan until El Al's 4491 mile run between Tehran and Johannesburg emerged as the correct answer.

Tehran is an interesting stopping point for the national airline of Israel. WHBM, would you happen to know the story behind that?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
82. Rather surprisingly, there are only three American cities that are served by Air France 747s. Identify the three cities. Let’s make it interesting because y’all’re too smart otherwise. So, give ‘em to me all at once please. Answers such as “Well it could be xxx” will be summarily ignored.

You asked for cities, so I'll start the guessing with New York City, Boston, and Washington, DC.

All excellent submissions, dfw - and of course New York is a no brainer. I would've thought Washington as well but by then I believe IAD was benefiting from Concorde service. Boston was not one of the three. So, you've hit one out of three. Please, continue on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.