Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. In the early 1960's, this airline made the following statement in its timetable: "FAN JETS are up to 42% more powerful than ordinary jets. They take off in 1/3 mile less runway, climb up and over the weather quicker, even land in less space than ordinary jets." Identify the airline that made this statement and the specific aircraft type referred to.

It's the capitalized "FAN JETS" that clued me in to what I believe is the answer:

Northwest - "The FAN JET Airline" Depending upon how early in the 60s we're talking, I suspect the aircraft would have been Boeing's 707-351C and 720B. Later, the 727-51 would join the fleet.
4. Correct! And this statement by Northwest was accompanied by an illustration of a Boeing 720B.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
TUS
38. Correct!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
I've always wondered what airline was the first to introduce jet service into Burbank (BUR).......was it indeed Pacific Air Lines with the Boeing 727-100? What is known is that according to their Sept. 1, 1967 timetable, Pacific was operating two 727 round trips a day nonstop between Burbank and Las Vegas. However, another airline may have commenced jet ops into BUR earlier than that date. So here's another question for the OTA&AQ gang:

What airline was the first to operate jet equipment into Burbank and what type of aircraft was used?
Great stuff, JL! I would never have guessed Lake Tahoe and to be sure, my selection of Burbank was hardly made with confidence. I should imagine though that if Pacific weren't the first to fly jets into Burbank, then PSA would be a good second bet.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great stuff, JL! I would never have guessed Lake Tahoe and to be sure, my selection of Burbank was hardly made with confidence. I should imagine though that if Pacific weren't the first to fly jets into Burbank, then PSA would be a good second bet.
Or perhaps Continental with the Boeing 720B? I would love to know the definitive answer!

BTW, besides flying into and out of Burbank many times over the years on AirCal, Alaska Airlines, Continental, SkyWest (Delta Connection CRJ-200 service to/from SLC), Hughes Airwest, PSA and maybe another airline or two, I also worked at BUR for about six months or so as a ticket and gate agent for Alaska Air. And I was then able to move into a position as the Director of Marketing for Mahalo Air, a scheduled ATR-42 passenger operator based at HNL, following my brief stint with AS at BUR.....
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, oh by the way, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all you Big Daddy-Ohs out there, whether you are here in North America or are somewhere Across The Water!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA
I've always wondered what airline was the first to introduce jet service into Burbank (BUR).......was it indeed Pacific Air Lines with the Boeing 727-100? What is known is that according to their Sept. 1, 1967 timetable, Pacific was operating two 727 round trips a day nonstop between Burbank and Las Vegas.
PSA did not have jets into BUR in their 3 Feb 67 timetable, but do have in their 11 Aug 67 one.

http://www.psa-history.org/about_psa/flight_schedules
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
PSA did not have jets into BUR in their 3 Feb 67 timetable, but do have in their 11 Aug 67 one.

http://www.psa-history.org/about_psa/flight_schedules
Excellent information, WHBM, and very much appreciated!

Seat 2A, I believe you have an old OAG that lists CO service into BUR with the Boeing 720B (B2F). Do you recall the date of that OAG?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:15 pm

What major U.S. airline served Nome, Alaska during the late 1950's? Also identify the aircraft type this air carrier flew into Nome as well as the route.
PA with a DC-6B

Here is a picture of PA's Nome (OME) terminal: http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleit.../id/2823/rec/1

And a DC-6B there in 1954:
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleit...id/15095/rec/3

Last edited by Indelaware; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:27 am Reason: Fixed airport code
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... 1963: 12. Name the two jet aircraft types Northwest Airlines was operating in its fleet at this time.
seems we have already got this one with the correct answer to #4 that our good friend Seat 2A submitted

... Northwest - "The FAN JET Airline" Depending upon how early in the 60s we're talking, I suspect the aircraft would have been Boeing's 707-351C and 720B. Later, the 727-51 would join the fleet.
4. Correct! And this statement by Northwest was accompanied by an illustration of a Boeing 720B.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL, AA
47. What was the westernmost destination served by North Central Airlines before it was merged and the name changed to Republic Airlines? And for bonus points, identify the aircraft type and the routing that North Central was flying into this destination shortly before the merger was consummated.
Tucson - Routing was MSP-DEN-TUS with a DC-9-50
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 3. In 1960, this airline was operating round trip service on a daily basis between Miami and Seattle. These flights made the same five intermediate stops en route in each direction, one of which was Chicago Midway Airport (MDW). Name the airline, the four other stops and the aircraft type operated. ...
this was almost certainly a Northwest Electra ... there are about a dozen candidate stopping points, so I will posit a few here:

Billings (BIL)
Minneapolis (MSP)
Midway
Atlanta (ATL)
Ft Lauderdale (FLL) (since we know from some recent questions that NW indeed operated FLL-MIA in the 60s)

...16. In 1965, Northwest Airlines was operating an eastbound milk run routing from Seattle to Washington, D.C. with a 6:35am departure from SEA. Nine intermediate stops were made en route. Identify all nine stops as well as the aircraft type flown on the service and also name the airport served by this flight in the D.C. area.
we know from a couple weeks ago that, in 1963, NW ran an Electra from PDX to EWR with nine stops; we also know from a year or so ago that there was a similar flight from BIL to MIA with 10 stops

so here we go again ... a red-tailed Lockheed Electra from SEA to DCA via
1- Spokane (GEG)
2- Missoula (MSO)
3- Butte (BTM)
4- Helena (HLN)
5- Bozeman (BZN)
6- Billings (BIL)
7- Minneapolis (MSP)
8- Milwaukee (MKE)
9- Detroit (DTW)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...22. (1967) American Airlines was operating shuttle service between Boston and New York LaGuardia Airport with up sixteen round trip flights a day. Virtually all of these flights were operated with one aircraft type although a second type was also used. Name the primary aircraft type flown on this shuttle service and also identify the other aircraft (which was only used for one flight from BOS to LGA and two flights from LGA to BOS). ...
Originally Posted by Menko
22. = bac 1-11 (?)
22. Correct! American was operating the BAC One-Eleven series 400 on most of its flights between BOS and LGA in December of 1967. In the AA timetable, the One-Eleven is referred to as the "BAC-400".

However, we are still looking for the other aircraft type operated by American between BOS and LGA at this time. Care to guess?
the oddball was probably -- again -- an Electra; second choice a 727-100
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:44 pm

40. Shortly after acquiring Hughes Airwest in 1980, Republic Airlines was serving thirteen airports in California. Name them all.
1. SMF
2. ACV
3. SFO
4. SAN
5. OAK
6. SJC
7. BUR
8. LAX
9. SNA
10. ONT
11. RDD
12. FAT
13. PSP
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 30. In 1973, this U.S. airline used the call sign "Executive One" for one of its flights. Explain why they did this and also name the air carrier. And for bonus points, identify the routing of this U.S. domestic flight as well as the aircraft type. ...
this was during the "energy crisis" when fuel consumption first became a real issue for the airlines as well as the U.S. government

rather than making the cross-country trip on Air Force 1 (a VC-137, aka 707-320C), then-President Richard Nixon and his entourage occupied at least the entire F cabin of a regularly scheduled IAD-LAX United DC-10 ... for some weird reason, I remember this was the evening flight normally operating as UA 55

as an aside, about 10 years later I was on a UA D10 IAD-DEN where former SecState Henry Kissinger (and a much smaller entourage) were riding up front ... when I was deplaning I noticed the F cabin resembled the aftermath of a cyclone with newspapers, magazines, pillows, blankets, etc strewn throughout
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:17 pm

29. During the 1970's, Hughes Airwest advertised that it served Sun Valley, Idaho. However, when one booked travel on one of the airline's DC9s to Sun Valley, the flight actually landed at another airport. Identify this airport.

Twin Falls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.