Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
With bleeding toes from my last try at FLL-MIA, I'll take a run at starting the list: in alphabetical order,
BN - 72S - Airline and aircraft are correct!
CO - 727 - Airline and aircraft are correct!
DL - 72S, L10 - Airline and aircraft are correct....however DL was operating one more aircraft type as well....
EA - 72S, AB3, D9S - Airline and aircraft are correct.....however EA was operating one more aircraft type as well.....
NW - 727 - Airline is correct.....however NW was operating the 72S. Also, NW only operated in one direction: FLL to MIA.
OZ - D9S - Airline and aircraft are correct!
PA - 727 - Airline is correct.....however PA was also operating the 72S as well......
TW - 72S - Incorrect - No TW service!
UA - 72S, D8S - Incorrect - No UA service!

I'm missing an airline and a 727 and DC-9, but that's no surprise, because the cast of characters seemed to change frequently, and my OAG and timetable resources don't give me a clean picture of 1981. I'll leave it up to others to clean up the list.
Three more airlines with their respective aircraft types to be identified!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
Originally Posted by miniliq
With bleeding toes from my last try at FLL-MIA, I'll take a run at starting the list: in alphabetical order,
BN - 72S
CO - 727
DL - 72S, L10
EA - 72S, AB3, D9s
NW - 727
OZ - D9S
PA - 727
TW - 72S
UA - 72S, D8S

I'm missing an airline and a 727 and DC-9, but that's no surprise, because the cast of characters seemed to change frequently, and my OAG and timetable resources don't give me a clean picture of 1981. I'll leave it up to others to clean up the list.
BN - 72S - Airline and aircraft are correct!
CO - 727 - Airline and aircraft are correct!
DL - 72S, L10 - Airline and aircraft are correct....however DL was operating one more aircraft type as well....
EA - 72S, AB3, D9S - Airline and aircraft are correct.....however EA was operating one more aircraft type as well.....
NW - 727 - Airline is correct.....however NW was operating the 72S. Also, NW only operated in one direction: FLL to MIA.
OZ - D9S - Airline and aircraft are correct!
PA - 727 - Airline is correct.....however PA was also operating the 72S as well......
TW - 72S - Incorrect - No TW service!
UA - 72S, D8S - Incorrect - No UA service!

Three more airlines with their respective aircraft types to be identified!

I know EA operated the DC9-10, and I know Delta still had a lot of Super 8s in the early 1980s

I suspect Western was the DC-10 operator as a tag-on to their MIA-LAX service

Air Florida is a possibility with the 737-200
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA
21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline and the equipment used.

Quick stab while in charge of the steaks for dinner on the hottest day of some years here in London ..... Did we have Pan Am on an A300 yet?

We've not yet, WHBM. As fine a stab as that is however, it is - alas - a bit wide of the mark. (But only a wee bit!)
Huh ! Not only did I get it wrong, but the steaks were overcooked as well while I was looking at my laptop in the kitchen

Dagnabit Muskie !

(is that a cryptic clue there ? The A300 "only a wee bit wide" ? Was it a 767 ?)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
I know EA operated the DC9-10, and I know Delta still had a lot of Super 8s in the early 1980s

I suspect Western was the DC-10 operator as a tag-on to their MIA-LAX service

Air Florida is a possibility with the 737-200
Correct! Although Eastern was not operating the DC-9-10 on the route. Here's the update:

Air Florida (QH) - 737, DC9
Delta (DL) - 72S, D8S, L10
Western (WA) - D10

We are also looking for one additional aircraft type operated by Eastern (EA).

And one more airline and its respective aircraft types (hint: there were two) as well!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Correct! Although Eastern was not operating the DC-9-10 on the route. Here's the update:

Air Florida (QH) - 737, DC9
Delta (DL) - 72S, D8S, L10
Western (WA) - D10

We are also looking for one additional aircraft type operated by Eastern (EA).
my guess for the missing EA link is L-1011; if not that, 727-100

And one more airline and its respective aircraft types (hint: there were two) as well!
as for the missing airline ... how about Piedmont, with 727-200 and 737-200
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Huh ! Not only did I get it wrong, but the steaks were overcooked as well while I was looking at my laptop in the kitchen

Dagnabit Muskie !

(is that a cryptic clue there ? The A300 "only a wee bit wide" ? Was it a 767 ?)
Oooo - sorry about those steaks! You know, I honestly don't know where I came up with "a wee bit wide of the mark" (an old archery term, perhaps?), but I can tell you that while no clue regarding aircraft width was intended, I did intend to suggest that one aspect of your answer was very close. Now... which aspect was it...?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 20, 2013 at 10:04 am
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Oooo - sorry about those steaks! You know, I honestly don't know where I came up with "wee bit wide", but I can tell you that while no clue regarding aircraft width was intended, I did intend to suggest that one aspect of your answer was very close. Now... which aspect was it...?
I'm going to jump into the realm of wordplay here and speculate that WHBM's extra "width" was really extra "sPan" ... American with an A300
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'm going to jump into the realm of wordplay here and speculate that WHBM's extra "width" was really extra "sPan" ... American with an A300
We're buzzing all around it, but no - it wasn't an American A300... Not too many other options now...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
We're buzzing all around it, but no - it wasn't an American A300... Not too many other options now...
ok, how about an Eastern A300
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ok, how about an Eastern A300
We have a winner! ^^
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my guess for the missing EA link is L-1011; if not that, 727-100

as for the missing airline ... how about Piedmont, with 727-200 and 737-200
Eastern with the L-1011 is correct.....so to recap, EA was operating the 72S, AB3, D9S and L10 on the route.

As for Piedmont and the 72S and 73S......please guess again!

So we are still looking for one more airline operating two aircraft types FLL-MIA........
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Identify three non-U.S. airlines that operated Boeing 747 equipment from SFO to LAX. These carriers could not carry local traffic, of course, but I'm pretty sure they could transport stopover traffic.
Still looking for the two other airlines as jrl22 correctly guessed Philippine Airlines (PR) operating a B747-200 from SFO to LAX.

And the hint was: one air carrier is based in Asia and the other airline is based in Europe (yes, they are still both around).......
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still looking for the two other airlines as jrl22 correctly guessed Philippine Airlines (PR) operating a B747-200 from SFO to LAX.

And the hint was: one air carrier is based in Asia and the other airline is based in Europe (yes, they are still both around).......
it's apparently NOT China Airlines (CI) because I believe I also guessed that ... the only other Asian airline that gives me any kind of good vibes is Singapore (SQ)

might the European carrier have been Lufthansa (LH)?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Only two questions left! If unanswered, I'll answer these tomorrow

5. In 1980, this airline operated a short lived service between Ft. Lauderdale and Las Vegas, continuing on to Los Angeles. Which airline was this and what type of aircraft was used on the route?

25. It’s October of 1981 and you’ve been invited to an Autumn Festival in Bedford, New York. The closest airport to Bedford is in White Plains, just a few miles to the south. A quick check of your trusty OAG shows a single airline operating two daily nonstop flights (1 is X7) from O’Hare to Westchester County Airport in White Plains. Name the airline and the equipment used.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

I'll try Qantas (QF) -- I found an old OAG with a once weekly service that went to both LAX and SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.