Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:59 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
19. You were going to take the train from Chicago up to Milwaukee until you discovered that this airline operated a single widebodied flight on the route each day. Name the airline and the equipment used.

IIRC, the answer is United with a DC-10.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:03 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by kochleffel
The (perhaps unanswerable) question is why USAir bought PSA only to dismantle it so quickly.
It was largely competition from Southwest in the intra-California markets. I recall flying US out to California in the early '90s and Terminal 1 appeared to be a US fortress with only a small Southwest presence. Fast forward toward the end of the decade and it was reversed. As I recall, US was at one time the dominant carrier between LAX and SFO.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by us2
It was largely competition from Southwest in the intra-California markets. I recall flying US out to California in the early '90s and Terminal 1 appeared to be a US fortress with only a small Southwest presence. Fast forward toward the end of the decade and it was reversed. As I recall, US was at one time the dominant carrier between LAX and SFO.
PSA and UA were going head-to-head on this route as far back as the mid 70s; as I recall they both had on-the-hour service, and for a while UA even ran on the half-hour at morning and evening peaks ... PS even operated L-1011s on this segment (I flew SFO-LAX on N10112 in Jan 1975)

PS was also a presence at the satellite airports (SJC and OAK in the Bay Area; BUR, ONT, and SNA in SoCal) but competition came from UA's buildup of the SFO hub (and AirCal) in the early to mid 80s ... I was at Edwards AFB from mid-84 thru mid-87, mostly flew PS/TW to/from SFO, and AS/PS/UA (plus the occasional PA 747) to/from Seattle; I don't recall having WN on the scene at that time, but when they entered the market they took their standard approach of saturating the less-heavily-utilized routes with frequency ... as I recall, they had some issues obtaining slots at LAX, but as us2 said this was pretty much overcome by the mid 90s; they specifically avoided SFO for a long time because of its propensity for weather delays
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
c- what airline was operating Combi services from the Lower 48 to ANC in 1978? Reeve Aleutian
d- what was the route? Seattle - Cold Bay
e- what was the equipment? Lockheed Electra
Originally Posted by jrl22
I had forgotten about RV's Electra combi service between SEA and CDB; however, the question was about service from the Lower 48 to ANC
How about Wien Air Alaska? I flew them in 1980 from Seattle to Anchorage via Kodiak and Kenai. Dunno if they flew nonstop SEA-ANC back then though...
well I will again say I had forgotten about WC as well, but as our friend jlemon is fond of saying, "Please guess again, sir!" ...

hint: the Combi flight to ANC did NOT originate at SEA
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
12. Five different airlines offered nonstop jet service on the 20 mile route between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Which airlines were they?
I thought I posted a reply to this one last night, but it disappeared into the ether -- probably forgot to hit "submit"
Anyway, I'll go with AA, DL, EA, NW, and UA. There were also at least four other "non-jet" carriers, including one with an intermediate stop!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
20. Nonstop flights were available from five Texas cities down to Mexico City. Everyone knows “The Big Three” – Dallas, Houston and San Antonio – had nonstop flights. Identify the other two cities as well as the airlines and their respective aircraft that served on these routes.
CO had non-stop service from EL Paso (ELP) with a 737 and McAllen (MFE) with a 727. Also, at one time there was a non-stop service from Laredo (LRD) by TAESA (GD) using a 727, but not sure if it was there in mid-92.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
jrl22: PSA and UA were going head-to-head on this route as far back as the mid 70s; as I recall they both had on-the-hour service, and for a while UA even ran on the half-hour at morning and evening peaks ... PS even operated L-1011s on this segment (I flew SFO-LAX on N10112 in Jan 1975)

Good old PSA....as a native of Southern California, I flew with them many times over the years, primarily into and out of LAX and BUR on B727-200, MD-80 and BAe 146 aircraft. And my first airline flight ever as a young kid was on board a PSA L-188 Electra from LAX to SFO.

If I remember correctly, PSA's rationale for acquiring and operating the L-1011 was that the airline's management thought that United was planning on operating DC-10 shuttle service between LAX and SFO. I do not believe that happened although I think UA did operate the odd wide body flight between the two city pairs. Thus, PSA was left with a very large aircraft type which they had trouble filling. Besides LAX-SFO, PSA also operated the L10 on SAN-LAX-SFO and LAX-SFO-SMF routings. L-1011 services did not last very long at PSA.....

Catch our smile.....PSA!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 15, 2013 at 8:47 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

Good old PSA....as a native of Southern California, I flew with them many times over the years, primarily into and out of LAX and BUR on B727-200, MD-80 and BAe 146 aircraft. And my first airline flight ever as a young kid was on board a PSA L-188 Electra from LAX to SFO.

If I remember correctly, PSA's rationale for acquiring and operating the L-1011 was that the airline's management thought that United was planning on operating DC-10 shuttle service between LAX and SFO. I do not believe that happened although I think UA did operate the odd wide body flight between the two city pairs. Thus, PSA was left with a very large aircraft type that they had trouble filling. Besides LAX-SFO, PSA also operated the L10 on SAN-LAX-SFO and LAX-SFO-SMF routings. L-1011 services did not last very long at PSA.....

Catch our smile.....PSA!
"Grinning Bird"
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2065/...6483a458fd.jpg

remember the ad with the FAs posing in the RB211 engine inlet on the L10
http://www.skyshirts.com/images/PSA_Photoblock.gif
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
The (perhaps unanswerable) question is why USAir bought PSA only to dismantle it so quickly.
There was a justification for this in a trade journal by US Airways management at the time that the former PSA operation was being wound down. Now you can never be quite sure about such statements, as to whether they reflect true thinking at the time or some subsequent attempt to justify a nonsense. However, it said that the stock value of PSA was depressed by the arrival of Southwest, the recent sale of Air Cal to American, and the increasing importance of national frequent-flyer programmes which PSA of course could not offer, and that what US Air paid for it really just bought them a good MD-80 fleet, which they felt they could employ more profitably back east expanding their traditional network - which is what they did. They didn't see a lot of value in the PSA network in its own right. A classic asset-strip.

Part of this meant that Chesley Sullenberger, who was on the PSA MD-80 fleet, was still commuting from his home in California to the US Airways base in Charlotte at the time of the Hudson incident, having upgraded to the Airbus when the MD-80s were retired, so maybe those passengers owe their lives in part to this management decision.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by us2

24. Two airlines with directional names (i.e. Southwest) once planned to merge back in 1970. That merger never happened and instead both of these airlines were eventually taken over by another airline. Can you name two airlines that once planned to merge as well as the airline that they both ultimately became part of?

I'm going to go with Northwest and Northeast, now both merged into Delta.

You got it, us2! Northwest backed out of the merger with Northeast when the CAB made it conditional upon Northeast surrendering its route authority between Florida and California.

19. You were going to take the train from Chicago up to Milwaukee until you discovered that this airline operated a single widebodied flight on the route each day. Name the airline and the equipment used.

IIRC, the answer is United with a DC-10.

Your memory is just fine. It was indeed United with a DC-10.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq

12. Five different airlines offered nonstop jet service on the 20 mile route between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Which airlines were they?

I thought I posted a reply to this one last night, but it disappeared into the ether -- probably forgot to hit "submit". Anyway, I'll go with AA, DL, EA, NW, and UA. There were also at least four other "non-jet" carriers, including one with an intermediate stop!

AA, DL and UA are correct! Three down, two to go!

20. Nonstop flights were available from five Texas cities down to Mexico City. Everyone knows “The Big Three” – Dallas, Houston and San Antonio – had nonstop flights. Identify the other two cities as well as the airlines and their respective aircraft that served on these routes.

CO had non-stop service from EL Paso (ELP) with a 737 and McAllen (MFE) with a 727. Also, at one time there was a non-stop service from Laredo (LRD) by TAESA (GD) using a 727, but not sure if it was there in mid-92.

You are indeed correct that Continental offered daily service from McAllen with a 727-200. Additionally, TAESA operated a single daily flight out of Laredo with a 737-500. However, per the July 15th, 1992 OAG that I have, there was no service by any airline between El Paso and Mexico City
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

6. In the spring of 1983, two airlines provided nonstop DC-9 flights between Philadelphia and Raleigh/Durham. One of them offered a daily DC-9-30 while the other offered a daily X6 DC-9-10. Which airline operated which aircraft on this route?
Eastern (EA) with D9S service and Best Airlines (IW) with DC9 service.

Interesting little airline, Best.....they never seemed to find their niche before going out of business. And at one point they served central Louisiana with DC9 service on ESF-ATL and ESF-GPT-ATL routings (all airline service for Alexandria was subsequently moved from ESF to AEX. ESF had also been served back in the day by Delta with 72S and D9S equipment....).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
If I remember correctly, PSA's rationale for acquiring and operating the L-1011 was that the airline's management thought that United was planning on operating DC-10 shuttle service between LAX and SFO. I do not believe that happened although I think UA did operate the odd wide body flight between the two city pairs. ...
as did PA (747) and TW (L10 and 767; possibly 747 also) ... I seem to recall EA with an A300 at one point as well
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... schedules published in the June 1st, 1968 OAG. ...

17. Although jet service between Des Moines and Los Angeles has been available via connection in Chicago for some time now, you prefer the more relaxed pace of this airline’s five stop propeller flight. Name the airline and equipment used. And – if you feel up to it – please identify the five intermediate stops. ...
I think this has to be United with a DC-6 ... guessing the route involved OMA, LNK, DEN, GJT, LAS

... based upon schedules published in the July 15, 1992 OAG. ...

21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline and the equipment used. ...
AA was building up their MIA hub about this time, and had recently brought the MD-11 into the fleet ... other widebody possibilities would be DC-10 and 767-300
AA did indeed operate a wide variety of wide bodied aircraft but alas, none of them were operating on the MIA-SFO route. Please - guess again!
how about UA again, on a 767-300
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
AA did indeed operate a wide variety of wide bodied aircraft but alas, none of them were operating on the MIA-SFO route. Please - guess again!
how about UA again, on a 767-300
Maybe I'm missing something being very late to the game, but I read Seat 2A's comment to mean it wasn't a widebody. How about a 752?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.