Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
29. Only one airline was operating MD-80 service into Minot, ND in 1989 with two flights a day. These flights made an intermediate stop en route from their originating airport before arriving in Minot. Name the the air carrier that operated these flights, the airport the flights originated from and the en route stop.

Oooh geez, the only one that initially comes to mind would be Northwest operating an ex-Republic MD-80. I should imagine the flights might have originated out of Minneapolis with an intermediate stop in... Fargo. Uff-da!

36. You've just completed a project in Winnipeg on a blustery fall day and there's still time to catch an evening flight to Chicago where you'll then begin to prepare for your next project assignment. You'll depart YWG at 7:10 pm and arrive at ORD at 10:34 pm following an on board dinner service and two stops en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two stops in order.

Well if it wasn't Northwest, but it also goes through Minneapolis, that leaves North Central which I believe served Winnipeg through Duluth. As for the aircraft, let's go with that old NC workhorse the DC-9-30.

39. It's a beautiful Monday morning in 1967 and you are on vacation in Rome. An urgent message is delivered: can you travel to New Orleans as soon as possible for a very pressing business negotiation? You quickly discover that one airline can get you there with one connection being made en route. You'll depart Rome Leonardo Da Vinci Airport at 10:30 pm that night and then arrive at your connecting airport at 6:10 am on Tuesday morning. This flight will make two stops en route. Your connecting flight, which will feature a different aircraft type than the one you've flown transatlantic on, will depart at 11:00 am on Tuesday morning and arrive in New Orleans Moisant Airport at 2:00pm with one stop being made en route. You'll be in first class on both flights. What airline will you be traveling on? Also identify both aircraft types as well as the stop(s) that will be made on the two respective flights. And here's a hint: you will not be connecting in the U.S. or Canada.

The only airline I can think of serving both Rome and New Orleans would be Pan Am via the old interchange service with Delta. Let's depart Rome on a Pan Am 707. The connecting point must be London, so with two stops... (Excuse me, I've gotta look at a map of Europe here...) let's go with Frankfurt and Amsterdam, then on to London where, assuming Pan Am was still operating the type in 1967, a DC-8 will take us to Washington Dulles and on to the Crescent City.

Also, good to hear Miss Bella is on the mend. I look forward to once again treating her to a nice nasal massage, a robust cranium rub and a soothing belly rub.
29. An excellent guess! However, the airline was not Northwest, the originating airport was not MSP and the intermediate stop was not made at FAR.

36. You are correct, sir! However, jrl767 beat you to the punch!

39. Nope, the airline was not Pan Am and the service was not an interchange flight with Delta or with any other air carrier for that matter. In addition, Frankfurt and Amsterdam were not served en route, and London was not the connecting city. There is some good news here, however, as you have guessed one of the aircraft types correctly: the DC-8.

And the precocious and lovely little Miss Bella says hello to her Uncle Seat 2A and wonders when your next visit will be.....
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
And we are back to the OTAQ&D with my third and final installment of quiz items.....

39. It's a beautiful Monday morning in 1967 and you are on vacation in Rome. An urgent message is delivered: can you travel to New Orleans as soon as possible for a very pressing business negotiation? You quickly discover that one airline can get you there with one connection being made en route. You'll depart Rome Leonardo Da Vinci Airport at 10:30 pm that night and then arrive at your connecting airport at 6:10 am on Tuesday morning. This flight will make two stops en route. Your connecting flight, which will feature a different aircraft type than the one you've flown transatlantic on, will depart at 11:00 am on Tuesday morning and arrive in New Orleans Moisant Airport at 2:00pm with one stop being made en route. You'll be in first class on both flights. What airline will you be traveling on? Also identify both aircraft types as well as the stop(s) that will be made on the two respective flights. And here's a hint: you will not be connecting in the U.S. or Canada.
The flight times for the TATL would indicate a rare TATL west-bound redeye. Given the flight time to MSY, the connection must be somewhere in the Caribbean basin (confirms ruling out Aerolineas Argentinas).

It'd appear none of the Mexican airlines ever serviced Rome. Can't think of any Caribbean Island airline who flew to Rome so the only one left is Venezuela's VIASA (shows how once-mighty economies in S. America have fallen by the wayside)?

So the TATL route on a DC-8 from FCO stopped in, I'm guessing, BCN and MAD.

Not sure what VIASA used for short-range then but if they had DC-8s, then DC-9 stopping in CUN?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The flight times for the TATL would indicate a rare TATL west-bound redeye. Given the flight time to MSY, the connection must be somewhere in the Caribbean basin (confirms ruling out Aerolineas Argentinas).

It'd appear none of the Mexican airlines ever serviced Rome. Can't think of any Caribbean Island airline who flew to Rome so the only one left is Venezuela's VIASA (shows how once-mighty economies in S. America have fallen by the wayside)?

So the TATL route on a DC-8 from FCO stopped in, I'm guessing, BCN and MAD.

Not sure what VIASA used for short-range then but if they had DC-8s, then DC-9 stopping in CUN?
39. YVR Cockroach, your observations are very astute! It was indeed Veneolana Internacional de Aviacion Sociedad Anonima (VIASA).

However, you're not quite there yet. Although this flight did stop in Madrid (MAD), it did not stop in Barcelona (BCN). And the connecting flight via Caracas (CCS, which about a decade later would see Air France Concorde service during what was a much better time by any measure for Venezuela) was not operated with DC-9 nor did it stop in Cancun (CUN).

Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

39. YVR Cockroach, your observations are very astute! It was indeed Veneolana Internacional de Aviacion Sociedad Anonima (VIASA).

However, you're not quite there yet. Although this flight did stop in Madrid (MAD), it did not stop in Barcelona (BCN). And the connecting flight via Caracas (CCS, which about a decade later would see Air France Concorde service during what was a much better time by any measure for Venezuela) was not operated with DC-9 nor did it stop in Cancun (CUN).

Please guess again, sir!
o.k. FCO-ORY-MAD-CCS on the DC-8

Maybe VA didn't have 5th freedom rights so maybe 727-100 to a domestic point but I don't even now if Venezuela has a secondary city. Maybe IAH (some sort of oil route).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

35. Well, it's been one heck of a Friday night in Dallas! You've joined an old friend who is an FM rock n' roll radio disc jockey for a Leon Russell concert at Dallas Market Hall. And not only did he have front row seat tickets: your buddy then produced back stage passes for an after concert party with Leon and his band The Shelter People! One thing has led to another and it's now 3:30 am as the party finally begins to wind down. And then you remember: you are supposed to be in Memphis on Saturday night for dinner with your sister and her husband to be who are getting married on Sunday. What to do.....and then you remember an airline which operates the first departure of the day from DFW to MEM. This flight departs at 4:59 am and arrives in MEM at 9:00 am which should allow you to recuperate most of the day before the dinner party. This service also makes four stops en route which you will hopefully sleep through. So away you go to DFW Airport in the wee hours. What air carrier and aircraft type will be you be flying on? Also name all four stops in order.
I will go with Frontier with stops in LAW, TUL, FSM, LIT, and ending in MEM. I will guess based on the number of stops in such a short period of time, it was on a jet. The only jet in their fleet was a Boeing 737-200.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

o.k. FCO-ORY-MAD-CCS on the DC-8

Maybe VA didn't have 5th freedom rights so maybe 727-100 to a domestic point but I don't even now if Venezuela has a secondary city. Maybe IAH (some sort of oil route).
Great guesses all! However, Paris Orly and Houston Intercontinental were not served by these respective flights nor was the aircraft a B727-100 on the CCS - ___ - MSY service.

But your "oil route" comment is very appropriate!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
39. It's a beautiful Monday morning in 1967 and you are on vacation in Rome. An urgent message is delivered: can you travel to New Orleans as soon as possible for a very pressing business negotiation? You quickly discover that one airline can get you there with one connection being made en route. You'll depart Rome Leonardo Da Vinci Airport at 10:30 pm that night and then arrive at your connecting airport at 6:10 am on Tuesday morning. This flight will make two stops en route. Your connecting flight, which will feature a different aircraft type than the one you've flown transatlantic on, will depart at 11:00 am on Tuesday morning and arrive in New Orleans Moisant Airport at 2:00pm with one stop being made en route. You'll be in first class on both flights. What airline will you be traveling on? Also identify both aircraft types as well as the stop(s) that will be made on the two respective flights. And here's a hint: you will not be connecting in the U.S. or Canada. Partially answered
I am going to tap in with the USA connection:

Caracas to Maracaibo to New Orleans on a Convair 880.

I only found Viasa operated, via an agreement with Alitalia, on Fridays from Rome through Milan and Lisboa to Caracas on a DC-8 leaving at 11 pm and arriving at 6:25 AM
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I will go with Frontier with stops in LAW, TUL, FSM, LIT, and ending in MEM. I will guess based on the number of stops in such a short period of time, it was on a jet. The only jet in their fleet was a Boeing 737-200.
35. Correct! Here's the sched as operated by the original Frontier....

FL 40: Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) 4:59a - 5:38a Lawton (LAW) 5:53a - 6:33a Tulsa (TUL) 6:50a - 7:22a Fort Smith (FSM) 7:37a - 8:10a Little Rock (LIT) 8:27a - 9:00a Memphis (MEM)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: 73S
Class of service: S (Standard class)
Cabin service: Snack TUL-FSM

Bonus Quiz Item: Identify the only other airline to operate mainline jet equipment into Lawton as well as the aircraft type.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 2, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I am going to tap in with the USA connection:

Caracas to Maracaibo to New Orleans on a Convair 880.

I only found Viasa operated, via an agreement with Alitalia, on Fridays from Rome through Milan and Lisboa to Caracas on a DC-8 leaving at 11 pm and arriving at 6:25 AM
39. According to the VIASA timetable I used to formulate this quiz item, the flight was not operated in conjunction with Alitalia and it did not stop in Lisbon. Here's the sched....

VA 723: Rome Leonardo da Vinci 22:30 - 23:30 Milan Malpensa 00:15 - 01:15 Madrid Barajas 02:00 - 06:10 Caracas Maiquetia
Op: Mondays only
Equip: DC-8

And here is the connecting flight sched.....

VA 760: Caracas Maiquetia 11:00 - 11:45 Maracaibo Grand de Oro 12:00 - 14:00 New Orleans Moisant
Op: Tuesdays only
Equip: CV-880
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. Now you are in Memphis in 1968 and must travel to Norfolk the next day for an early dinner meeting. You are in no rush and find a direct five stop flight which departs MEM at 7:00 am and arrives in ORF at 12:54 pm. This flight does not operate on Sundays but no problem: your dinner meeting is on a Friday night. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all five stops in order. The airline was Piedmont operating an FH-227B. Nashville was the first stop and Charlotte was served by this flight as well. Still looking for the other three airports and the correct order of the stops ...and now ANSWERED

24. It's a beautiful Friday afternoon in the spring of 1968 in Bombay. An urgent message is delivered: can you be in Dar es Salaam the next afternoon for a meeting? You quickly ascertain there is a flight departing from your location in India at 1:50 am that will get you to your destination in Africa at 11:30 am. Three intermediate stops will be made en route. You book a seat in first class. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on? Also name the three stops in order. The airline in question was based in Africa and the equipment was a four engine jet aircraft ...and now ANSWERED
Last call for the above! Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers before the Big Game in Houston this Sunday.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 3, 2017 at 3:05 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23- let's see if I pick off any more stops here:
  1. Nashville
  2. Charlotte
  3. Winston-Salem (INT)
  4. Greensboro/High Point (GSO)
  5. Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24. It's a beautiful Friday afternoon in the spring of 1968 in Bombay. An urgent message is delivered: can you be in Dar es Salaam the next afternoon for a meeting? You quickly ascertain there is a flight departing from your location in India at 1:50 am that will get you to your destination in Africa at 11:30 am. Three intermediate stops will be made en route. You book a seat in first class. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on? Also name the three stops in order.

The airline in question was based in Africa and the equipment was a four engine jet aircraft
With the above hints and vague memories of a VC-10 operator named British East African Airways, I am going to guess East African Airways

BOM-KHI-NBO-EBB-DAR on a VC-10
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
23- let's see if I pick off any more stops here:
  1. Nashville
  2. Charlotte
  3. Winston-Salem (INT)
  4. Greensboro/High Point (GSO)
  5. Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
23. Correct! Here's the sched....

PI 290: Memphis (MEM) 7:00a - 7:56a Nashville (BNA) 8:08a - 10:34a Charlotte (CLT) 10:46a - 11:12a Winston-Salem (INT) 11:24a - 11:36a Greensboro-High Point (GSO) 11:41a - 12:04p Raleigh-Durham (RDU) 12:19p - 12:54p Norfolk (ORF)
Op: Daily except on Sundays
Equip: FH-227B
Cabin service: Snack CLT-ORF
One way fare, MEM-ORF: $64.00

Memphis and Nashville were new destinations served by Piedmont at this time in 1968 as were Greenville-Spartanburg and New York La Guardia. PI served the latter with Boeing 727-100 and Martin 4-0-4 aircraft as well as with the FH-227B.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
note that 5-minute gate time (in 1136, out 1141) at GSO!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the above hints and vague memories of a VC-10 operator named British East African Airways, I am going to guess East African Airways

BOM-KHI-NBO-EBB-DAR on a VC-10
24. East African Airways operating a Super VC10 is correct!

Now your routing is just a bit off as Entebbe (EBB) was not served by this flight. Here's the sched....

EC 735: Bombay (BOM) 1:50a - 3:00a Karachi (KHI) 4:00a - 6:30a Addis Ababa (ADD) 7:30a - 9:20a Nairobi (NBO) 10:20a - 11:30a Dar es Salaam
Op: Saturdays only
Equip: Super VC10
Service classes: F/T/Y (First/Tourist/Economy)
Note: No local traffic BOM-KHI

I believe some of the last (if not the last) new build Super VC10 aircraft were delivered to East African.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.