Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
I'll guess four different types of aircraft including the Comet. I think the other three were the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, the Bristol Britannia and the Douglas DC-7.
Yes, on Jet Day BOAC were using all four of these types on London to New York. That day, incidentally, was also the last day (elsewhere) of another BOAC type, the Lockheed L749 Constellation.

BOAC had not had a lot of luck with their types in the 1950s. There was the Comet 1 disaster, the abandonment of the Comet 2 and 3 which they had placed substantial orders for, the appalling Handley Page Hermes, the Bristol Britannia which took years beyond plan to get into service, and the "emergency" purchase of 10 DC-7C to try and stay competitive, along with secondhand Strats and Constellations they picked up. Only the stalwart Canadair 4 Argonaut rolled along through all this for the whole decade.

Then a whole lot of new types all turned up at once, the two sizes of Britannia, the Comet 4, and the first Boeing 707s. The DC-7Cs had been bought on the understanding that as soon as the other types came along they would be sold to finance the new arrivals. Of course, just a couple of years after delivery the bottom had completely fallen out of the large piston market and they were faced with a huge loss.

Oh, and through all this they had all sorts of engine failures downroute (those four types used to New York had four different engine manufacturers), for which they retained a dedicated fleet of 1940s Avro York freighters at Heathrow just to ferry engines and engineers out.
jlemon likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:26 am

10. You are in New Orleans in 1966. You need to attend a business meeting in Fort Smith (FSM) and you've found a daily flight that makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.
I think this was Braniff, on a One-Eleven through Shreveport. It likely continued on across the farm belt and ended up in Minneapolis. Good One-Eleven type operation, completely different to how they were used in Europe. I think this was an old Mid-Continent Airways routing who Braniff took over in the 1950s.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Man o man! Can you believe that it's been 8.5 years since that first post over 18000 posts ago? During that time we've had over 1.3 million views! Pretty awesome.....

Curmudgeon that I am, I'd likely have run everybody off years ago! Here's to the next 8.5 years and beyond
Ah, the international man of airline adventure and curmudgeon who knows his way around a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue (in BA First, of course).....

As for our weather, although spring has just technically arrived, it's more like early summer here with high temps expected in the upper 80s F by the end of the week and a chance of occasional subtropical thundershowers drifting north from the Gulf of Mexico with the usual daily seabreeze front. And I never did get the chance to use up all our firewood this past winter.......
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
17- I was apparently conflating this question with the next one (that originates Amarillo after a drive from LBB) ... speaking of “memory less than 100%”

but that said, my second guess is SPS — Sheppard Air Force Base, co-located with Wichita Falls Municipal Airport
17. Yep, you've got it. Here's the sched....

BN 364: Austin (AUS) 12:15p - 12:57p Dallas Love (DAL) 1:30p - 2:08p Wichita Falls (SPS) 2:25p - 3:11p Lubbock (LBB)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: JET One-11

BTW, one had a choice of mainline trunk airlines offering nonstop service from Wichita Falls to Lubbock during the mid to late 1960's as Continental was operating a daily Vickers Viscount flight operating a routing of TUL - OKC - LAW - SPS - LBB - ELP. This service then turned around at El Paso and flew a reverse routing with the flight terminating at Kansas City (MKC) following a stop in Tulsa. CO would eventually operate B727-200 service into Wichita Falls on the same basic routing. Trans-Texas wasn't yet serving Wichita Falls at this time but after Braniff pulled out of SPS Texas International subsequently showed up with Convair 600 and Douglas DC9 service on the short hop to DFW.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
SPS is one of a few of airports/bases that I've transited both the military and commercial sides

Oct 1977 I was on a Space-Available hop on a North American Aviation T-39 Sabreliner that was headed to Kirtland AFB (ABQ) ... the crew got re-routed in flight to take a general and a few members of his staff from SPS to Offutt AFB near Omaha ... I spent the night in the VOQ, and flew SPS-DFW-LAX the next morning on a Rio Airways Beech 99 and a Delta L-1011
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Galaxy Lockheed and Ford
My first thought was it was technically Galaxie, but there is indeed a Ford Galaxy for the Euro market. Well played YVR Cockroach!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I think this was Braniff, on a One-Eleven through Shreveport. It likely continued on across the farm belt and ended up in Minneapolis. Good One-Eleven type operation, completely different to how they were used in Europe. I think this was an old Mid-Continent Airways routing who Braniff took over in the 1950s.
10. Correct on all counts, sir! Here's the complete milk run sched.....

BN 250: New Orleans (MSY) 6:30p - 7:25p Shreveport (SHV) 7:40p - 8:23p Fort Smith (FSM) 8:38p - 9:09p Tulsa (TUL) 9:25p - 10:12p Kansas City (MKC) 10:50p - 11:32p Omaha (OMA) 11:52p - 1:43a Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner MSY-SHV
Equip: JET BAC One-11

The acquisition of Mid-Continent by Braniff enabled BN to begin serving such cities as New Orleans, Shreveport, Omaha, Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis for the first time. Braniff was already serving Fort Smith on a basically east-west basis when it acquired Mid-Continent which also served Fort Smith.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
My first thought was it was technically Galaxie, but there is indeed a Ford Galaxy for the Euro market. Well played YVR Cockroach!
Ford is useful as it has European and Australian models, among others to use.

Could also pull out equivalent names once translated. e.g. Merkur (model) or Mercury (brand) for... (an a/c I've never flown). There's also at least another Ford product with the same model name as a U.S. miliatry a/c.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Ford is useful as it has European and Australian models, among others to use.

Could also pull out equivalent names once translated. e.g. Merkur (model) or Mercury (brand) for... (an a/c I've never flown). There's also at least another Ford product with the same model name as a U.S. miliatry a/c.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Oldsmobile manufactured a car called the Aurora. And the Royal Canadian Air Force currently operates the Lockheed CP-140 Aurora which is based on the P-3 Orion which, of course, is based in turn on the L-188 Electra.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPS is one of a few of airports/bases that I've transited both the military and commercial sides

Oct 1977 I was on a Space-Available hop on a North American Aviation T-39 Sabreliner that was headed to Kirtland AFB (ABQ) ... the crew got re-routed in flight to take a general and a few members of his staff from SPS to Offutt AFB near Omaha ... I spent the night in the VOQ, and flew SPS-DFW-LAX the next morning on a Rio Airways Beech 99 and a Delta L-1011
Last spring while driving on the U.S. 287 freeway west of Wichita Falls near the town of Electra, TX on my way to Telluride, CO, I witnessed a USAF T-38 "Talon" jet trainer pass quite low right over me. I figured the T-38 was from Sheppard AFB. Perhaps the pilot wanted to take a look at my BMW M4.......

And that brings up the Myasishchev M-4 "Molot" (which NATO called the "Bison") four engine jet bomber operated by the Soviet Union.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 23, 2020 at 12:35 pm Reason: BMW M4 & M-4 bomber
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
making good progress here ...

decided to compile an update of KT550's entertaining "eponymous aircraft and car model" Quiz-Within-A-Quiz
Originally Posted by KT550
As we've reached a slow down; here's a little quiz to keep you thinking.

Over the years, car and plane manufacturers have used common names for their respective models.
e.g. Chevrolet Greyhound and Cessna Greyhound.

I got to about 50 using U.K., European and U.S. car manufacturers.
General aviation aircraft and airliners are included in the aviation section.

How many can you find?
  1. "Mustang" -- North American P-51 / F-51 and Ford
  2. "Catalina" -- Consolidated Vultee PBY-5 (which was actually used in some airline services for awhile after WW II) and Pontiac
  3. if you add aircraft engines to the mix, there's the "Dart" (Rolls-Royce and Dodge)
  4. "Greyhound" is also the Navy nickname for the Grumman C-2 COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) aircraft
  5. Chevrolet Corvette --> Aerospatiale Corvette --> naval frigate also known as a Corvette
  6. Ford Bronco --> North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco
  7. Lockheed Starliner (L-1649) -- Ford
  8. Lockheed Electra (Model 10, Model 14, and L-188) -- Buick
  9. Falcon Ford and Dassault
  10. Hornet AMC and deHavilland, McDonnell-Douglas
  11. Renault and Sud (Sud Est) Aviation SE.210 -- Caravelle
  12. Bearcat -- Grumman F8F (WWII-vintage Navy fighter, later operated by the Blue Angels) and Stutz (1920s-1930s)
  13. American Motors Corp (AMC, formerly Rambler, formerly Nash) and Airspeed -- Ambassador (and the infamous Hindustan Ambassador https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador)
  14. Airspeed Oxford. 8751 made https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_Oxford and Morris (1950s, basis of the Hindustan Ambassador)
  15. Many more Vanguards were made by Standard (UK); https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Vanguard than Vickers
  16. Bristol Cars were a division on Bristol aircraft, so the same name understandable -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Cars; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Aeroplane_Company
  17. Armstrong :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Siddeley produced the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstr...eley_Lancaster; AVRO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster;
  18. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lincoln and the Ford owned Lincoln brand
  19. Jaguar (car) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEPECAT_Jaguar
  20. Dauphin/Dauphine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%C3%A...SA_360_Dauphin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Dauphine''
  21. Herald -- The Herald car is best not talked about. Not a high point of British car manufacturing/belligerent unions -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Herald; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Dart_Herald
  22. Spitfire -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Spitfire; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire
  23. Galaxy Lockheed and Ford
  24. Caravan Cessna and Dodge
  25. Ford is useful as it has European and Australian models, among others to use; could also pull out equivalent names once translated. e.g. Merkur (model) or Mercury (brand) for... (an a/c I've never flown). There's also at least another Ford product with the same model name as a U.S. military a/c.
  26. Oldsmobile manufactured a car called the Aurora. And the Royal Canadian Air Force currently operates the Lockheed CP-140 Aurora which is based on the P-3 Orion which, of course, is based in turn on the L-188 Electra
  27. BMW M4 and Myasishchev M-4 "Molot" (which NATO called the "Bison") four engine jet bomber
Mwenenzi and Seat 2A like this.

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 24, 2020 at 9:33 am Reason: line break in wrong place
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two (2) quiz items per day so that all may participate. As always, we are looking for complete answers. Thanks!

1. It's 1956 and you are in Pittsburgh (PIT). You need to travel to Miami (MIA) and have found a direct flight that makes two stops. This service is also an interchange flight operated jointly by two different air carriers. The flight operated by the first airline from PIT operates nonstop to the interchange point while the continuing flight operated by the second airline makes one intermediate stop before arriving into MIA. Identify both air carriers, the airport which is the interchange point, the intermediate stop before MIA and the equipment.

2. What year did Continental Airlines begin operating its Vickers Viscount 812 aircraft and how many of this type was CO operating by the following year?

A two part question.....

3A. What U.S. air carrier was the first to order the Lockheed L-188 Electra and how many did they initially order?

3B. The air carrier in question above operated its new Electra aircraft in two class configuration. How many seats were there in first class and how many seats were there in coach on these airplanes?

4. In 1958, this airline was operating a daily round trip service it called "The Southernaire" from the New York City area. This flight operated nonstop to a city in the southern U.S. and then continued on to another southern U.S. city where the aircraft then remained overnight (RON). The service then departed northbound the next morning on a reverse routing back to New York. Identify the air carrier, the airport served by this flight in the New York area, the two cities it served in the south and the aircraft type.

7. Name the airline that ran this print ad in 1959:

SOON.......___(air carrier)___ JET POWER ELECTRA. Electra flight is the ultimate in travel comfort! You'll enjoy the utmost in relaxing quiet, panoramic views, and complete freedom from vibration. Cruising at almost 7 miles a minute, ___(air carrier's)___ELECTRA takes you farther faster....and gets you there "flight fresh".

11. It's still 1966 and you are in Baltimore (BAL). It's time for a vacation and you've decided to visit with friends who live on the north shore of Oahu. So you're off to Honolulu (HNL). Interestingly, the timetable of the airline you'll be flying with out of BAL lists a connection to HNL operated by another air carrier. Your first flight is a milk run which makes five stops en route and your second flight on another airline operates nonstop to HNL. Name both air carriers, all five stops made by the first flight in the order in which they were made, the connecting city and the equipment operated by each airline on these flights. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1968.....

16. If you wanted to fly direct from Chicago Midway (MDW) to Baltimore (BAL) on an evening flight with only one stop en route, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on board? And here's a hint: the aircraft in question was configured with an all coach cabin. Please be sure to include the location of the stop with your answer. ANSWERED

18. From Lubbock you've driven north with a business colleague on brand new Interstate 27 to Amarillo for a follow up meeting. Now you need to fly from Amarillo (AMA) to Memphis (MEM). Ah, here's a daily milk run flight which makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

20. Now it's 1969 and you are in Long Beach where you have not only visited a classic ocean liner that is permanently docked but also a very large seaplane on static display. You receive a message from friends who are in the Lake Tahoe area on a skiing trip: "Come on up! Conditions are excellent!" Well, why not....and you find there's a direct flight from Long Beach (LGB) to Lake Tahoe (TVL) which makes three stops en route but only operates once a week arriving into TVL just before lunch time which fits your schedule perfectly. And most fortunately, the day you need to travel is the day this flight operates. Name the airline, all three stops and the equipment.

22. What significant service change did LAN-Chile introduce in 1970 with regard to one of its international flights? ANSWERED

23. It's 1970 and you are back in New Orleans. Now you are heading down to Panama and have found a flight which operates twice a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the aircraft. Pan Am with a 727. The first stop was Merida and the third stop was Managua. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't Guatemala City.

24. Now it's 1971 and you are in Nashville. You're off to Minneapolis/St. Paul on board a flight which will make two stops en route and operates six days a week. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

25. You are in Sydney and it's 1972. You are booked in first class on a flight to London which will make six stops en route and also has an interesting flight number change from flight 785 to flight 785A at one of the stops. This particular flight operates this specific routing only once a week on Fridays. Identify the air carrier, all six stops in order and the aircraft.
And we are making good progress here......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 27, 2020 at 5:54 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Corsair Vought Ford (UK)
Consul Airspeed Ford (UK)
Mwenenzi and KT550 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:27 pm

Bristol Cars were a division on Bristol aircraft, so the same name understandable -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Cars; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Aeroplane_Company
Had been a long time ago, but split off. The Bristol company also had a major bus manufacturing plant, also long broken away, which carried on until the 1970s when it was absorbed by Leyland. Right up to college years I travelled in Bristol buses every day. There was also a bus operating company which had the monopoly on all the local buses for a large radius around its home city. All these were quite independent organisations but all kept the original logo, the company name written in a certain scroll style.

Herald -- The Herald car is best not talked about. Not a high point of British car manufacturing/belligerent unions -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Herald; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Dart_Herald
It was actually one of the higher regarded ones, particularly popular with better-off women drivers. I got 90mph out of one no trouble (a basic Herald 13/60 for those in the know). There was also a sports version with a 6-cyl 2 litre, the Vitesse, which our school headmaster had and kept for years. A sports saloon well ahead of its time. Was it even sold in the US.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:38 pm

It's 1970 and you are back in New Orleans. Now you are heading down to Panama and have found a flight which operates twice a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the aircraft
Was this Pan Am's only service from New Orleans, which went through Merida in Mexico, Guatemala and Managua. It probably went to other combinations on different days. A standard 727 I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.