Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
2. If you wanted to fly into Dallas/Fort Worth on board a de Haviland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 in early 1994, there was only one choice with the air carrier in question operating just one daily nonstop flight into DFW. Identify this airline and the airport it departed from. And here's a hint: this service wasn't a code sharing flight operated on behalf of a major air carrier

Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Branson, Missouri
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
8. Now you are on your way back to Philadelphia, this time from Allentown, and you are on board the only nonstop jet service operated on the short hop from ABE to PHL. Name the airline and the jet. The jet was a Fokker 100. The airline wasn't USAir.
8- not too many other choices here; I’m favoring Midway over American

Toshbaf may want to reconsider, as we already know it wasn’t ASA
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
2. If you wanted to fly into Dallas/Fort Worth on board a de Haviland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 in early 1994, there was only one choice with the air carrier in question operating just one daily nonstop flight into DFW. Identify this airline and the airport it departed from. And here's a hint: this service wasn't a code sharing flight operated on behalf of a major air carrier

Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Branson, Missouri
2. Well, congratulations! You've correctly guessed the airport where the flight in question originated: Branson's M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport (PLK).

However, Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) has already been eliminated. And the two letter code for the air carrier we are looking for was "E5".

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 16, 2022 at 1:10 pm Reason: airport code correction
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
8- not too many other choices here; I’m favoring Midway over American...
8. Correct! Here's the complete sched....

JI 144: Chicago Midway (MDW) 2:30p - 5:20p Allentown (ABE) 5:50p - 6:20p Philadelphia (PHL) 6:50p - 7:50p Chicago Midway (MDW)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: Fokker 100
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
2. Well, congratulations! You've correctly guessed the airport where the flight in question originated: Branson's M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport (PLK).

However, Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) has already been eliminated. And the two letter code for the air carrier we are looking for was "E5".
PLK - DFW daily
Dash 7
Branson Airlines (corporate name: Eclipse Airlines)

Wow, very obscure and an informative question!

Last edited by Toshbaf; Apr 16, 2022 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
PLK - DFW daily
Dash 7
Branson Airlines (corporate name: Eclipse Airlines)

Wow, very obscure and an informative question!
2. Branson Airlines is correct! Here's the roundtrip sched that was being operated in May of 1994.....

E5 401: Branson M.G. Clark Downtown Airport (PLK) 11:00a - 12:45p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Freq: Daily
Meal service: None
Equip: DH7

E5 402 then departed Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) at 1:30p and arrived at Branson M.G. Clark Downtown Airport (PLK) at 3:15p

Branson Airlines was apparently in operation by May of 1993. Here's a link to their timetable cover from that time.....

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/e51.htm

Routes in 1993 included nonstop Dash 7 service between Branson and Dallas/Fort Worth, Kansas City, Nashville and St. Louis. The Dash 7 was well suited for operations from M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport in Branson as the one and only runway at this airfield is just over 3,700 feet in length.

Branson Airlines services are listed in the OAG between Branson and DFW, MCI and STL during the first half of 1994 (the airline was no longer serving BNA at this time). Besides the daily roundtrip DFW service, the airline was also serving Kansas City with one daily roundtrip flight while St. Louis was being served with eleven round trip flights per week in May of 1994.

After May of 1994, Branson Airlines flights serving PLK are no longer listed in the OAG for the rest of the year. It appears the air carrier had ceased serving Branson by the summer of 1994 and had gone out of business.

Then there's this interesting photo from June of 1994. Here's the link.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Bran...ash-7/129480/L

So what was N235SL doing in Palma de Mallorca? I can only surmise this was either the new home for this Dash 7 or the airplane was on its way to another location following the demise of Branson Airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. If you wanted to fly nonstop from St. Petersburg, Florida (PIE) to Nassau (NAS) in the Bahamas on a jet during the fall of 1994, what air carrier would you call and what type of equipment would you be on board? ANSWERED
Just one more to go here. And hope everyone is having a lovely Easter Sunday.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 18, 2022 at 9:23 am Reason: answer update
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
once we clear off jlemon’s last remaining question, I’m ready to set the time machine back to 1985 with a handful of questions
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
once we clear off jlemon’s last remaining question, I’m ready to set the time machine back to 1985 with a handful of questions
You may want to check with Seat 2A as I know he is very close to having a new batch of quiz questions ready to go.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
7. If you wanted to fly nonstop from St. Petersburg, Florida (PIE) to Nassau in the Bahamas at this time on a jet, what air carrier would you call and what type of equipment would you be on board?
How about a Laker 727-200?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
How about a Laker 727-200?
7. Great guess! And the equipment was indeed a B727-200.

However, the air carrier wasn't Laker Airways.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
7. Great guess! And the equipment was indeed a B727-200.

However, the air carrier wasn't Laker Airways.

Please guess again, sir!
ATA?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BA
So what was N235SL doing in Palma de Mallorca? I can only surmise this was either the new home for this Dash 7 or the airplane was on its way to another location following the demise of Branson Airlines.
Notably, on the way to me seeing it, albeit some years later. After Branson were finished with it, it was sold to Arkia, the internal Israel carrier, and when photographed was on ferry via Bangor ME and Palma to Tel Aviv, where it operated as 4X-AHG right through until 2010. Somewhat before that time we went on holiday to Eilat, the beach under the approach to the old airport there, and I saw it sometimes several times a day on flights from Tel Aviv. Here it is, a grainy zoom shot.

jlemon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
ATA?
7. American Trans Air is correct! Here's the complete sched....

TZ 451: Indianapolis (IND) 2:40p - 4:45p St. Petersburg/Clearwater (PIE) 5:20p - 6:35p Nassau (NAS)
Freq: Mondays and Fridays only
Meal service: Snack IND-PIE
Equip: 72S
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You may want to check with Seat 2A as I know he is very close to having a new batch of quiz questions ready to go.
Go for it, jrl767. I've got quite a few questions researched but I've yet to type up scintillating scenarios or transcribe the answers

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 18, 2022 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.