Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
23. (1999) You need to fly from Lima to Montego Bay. Only one airline offers online connections via two nonstop flights through a single connection point. Two different aircraft types are utilized however. Please identify the airline, the connection city and the two aircraft types.

I was *quite* tempted to offer American via JFK (a 757 connecting to an A300), but imagined howls of incredulity ... so herewith Avianca, also starting out aboard a 757, and connecting in Bogota/BOG to a 727-200

While this sounds quite reasonable, alas, neither Avianca, its home base of Omaha, the 757-200 nor the 727-200 are relevant to the airline, route and aircraft(s) we're looking for in relation to this particular query. And you're right - I would never consider a routing via New York to be appropriate in this instance. I don't know that I would howl, but I might spill my bourbon (Tonight's choice - Elijah Craig Small Batch - going for just $29.something or other at the local Safeway.

Please, guess again!
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: BA
Bonus question : The Indian Airlines Caravelles were type 6N, in the USA the contemporary United ones were 6R. What was the notable difference between them on landing ?

If I may, "upon landing" being a major hint: I believe the Indian ones had parachutes
Indeed. The Caravelle initially did not have reverse thrust; in the type 6R for United, and then others, the R stands for Reverse. The braking parachute was packed in the tail, it was not always deployed, but was on short/wet etc runways, whereupon the crew had the choice of dragging it to the gate, wearing it out, or releasing it, and the ground engineer had to pursue it in the van and catch it wherever, meanwhile further landings have to go around (remember, if you have landed as normal into wind, the parachute will blow back along the runway). The base engineer also had the job of repacking it if there were no packed spares available. Now the FAA didn't exactly Flip when the aircraft was offered for US certification, but they did say No Way about usage at US airports. I don't know what happened with earlier Caravelles of the likes of Varig, which initially operated into Miami. There were a range of other significant things the FAA didn't like, mainly for what now look very sensible reasons, so the 6R also had proper drop-down emergency oxygen, instead of relying on the crew making an emergency descent. All of LAN Chile, Aerolineas Argentinas and Varig used to operate for some years their earlier Caravelles over the High Andes from Buenos Aires to Santiago, where such descents to below 10,000 feet were not possible, fortunately without any incident.

Strictly, the earlier Caravelles with Rolls-Royce Avon engines had Roman designations, types III, VI-R, etc, the later P&W JT8D engined variants had digits, types 10-B etc. Both were built together, the last Rolls aircraft, to the original Type III specification, inevitably for Air Inter, was built as late as 1970, towards the end of overall production, which I think makes it the last airliner built with a braking parachute; the Tupolev 104 and a few others had it too.

Whoa Nellie! That is quite wild indeed. But nope - it wasn't Aeroflot. I'm trying to figure what the routing would have been for an AN-24 to make it from Moscow to Bombay... probably have to route down through Kazakhstan and Tajikistan...
The Indian Air Force actually has a huge fleet of over 100 Antonov 32s, essentially an AN-24 with the engines mounted higher up over the wing for use on unprepared strips, which all used to go to/fro to the Antonov overhaul plant in Kiev. I was in Coimbatore airport, southern India in 2012, and one was making training patterns all the time we were there.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:54 am

19. TWA TLV-BOM, connecting to ET BOM-Shanghai. Both flights on 707-320s.

20. British Airways VC-10 JFK-PIK, a bus from PIK to GLA, then a British Airways Viscount to Newcastle.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
19. (1973) You need to travel from Tel Aviv to Bombay, India where you’ll spend a couple of days conducting business before continuing on to Shanghai, China. Much to your surprise, each market is served by a convenient nonstop flight - albeit the only nonstop in each market - with each flight being operated by a different airline. Please identify Both airlines involved here as well as the equipment type operated by each airline.

TWA TLV-BOM, connecting to ET BOM-Shanghai. Both flights on 707-320s.

Correct! on both counts. I am making an assumption on ET's equipment as it was identified only as "JET" in the schedules. With a flight distance of 3117 miles (5017km) it would also be within the range of ET's 720Bs

TWA TW 810 Tel Aviv (TLV) 425p-225a Bombay (BOM) 707-320 Daily
Ethiopian ET 772 Bombay(BOM) 1135p-835a Shanghai (SHA) JET We only

20. (1973) Who knew you could fly on the same airline all the way through from New York to Newcastle? Not you! But then, you also didn’t know upon purchasing the ticket that the itinerary - which involved two nonstop flights through a single connection point - would also involve transferring from one airport to another at the connection point. Sigh… Live and learn. Identify the airline, the correct routing including the two airports at the connection point and the two aircraft types utilized on this journey.

British Airways VC-10 JFK-PIK, a bus from PIK to GLA, then a British Airways Viscount to Newcastle.

It was not British Airways. Nor was a VC10 or a Viscount involved in this journey. The flight did connect at PIK/GLA
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:18 pm

20. How about a British Caledonian 707 as far as PIK, and a 1.11 the rest of the way?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
14. (1973) Back in1973, Singapore Airlines did not serve North America, United had yet to purchase Pan Am’s Pacific division and the concept of nonstop flights between North America and Singapore was but a distant mirage. As such, passengers traveling between Los Angeles and Singapore had a choice of just two direct flights - only one of which offered First Class. That’s the one you want. The flight makes three enroute stops and arrives at Singapore in the early evening - perfectly timed to meet your colleagues for a drink followed by dinner at the famous Raffles Hotel. Identify the airline you’ll be flying, the three enroute stops and the aircraft type. A cyber pat on the back and a baloney sandwich to whoever can identify the other airline and its five stop routing.

Frankly, I am stumped but determined to get a plane ticket! Let's try long shot UTA French Airlines

UTA, DC-10, LAX - PPT - NOU - JKT (Jakarta/Kemayoran) - SIN (Singapore International/Paya Lebar)
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA
4. (1973) After having spent the past month studying artifacts from a new dig at an early Neolithic site at Achilleion in Thessaly, Greece, your expertise has been called upon to examine a new find in the jungles of Guatemala. Your excitement at this new assignment is tempered only by the perceived difficulty in getting from Athens to Guatemala City. Though you expected the journey to involve at least two or three airlines, you are flabbergasted to discover that there is just one single airline that is able to get you all the way from Athens to Guatemala City - via a fairly convenient single connection no less. The first flight to the connection airport will be nonstop. The second flight will include two enroute stops. The correct answer will require you to unearth the correct airline along with the correct itinerary including all enroute stops. Additionally, the antiquities office would also like you to dig up the single aircraft type employed.
I reckon that's Sabena [Such A Beastly Experience, Never Again], who around that time had a mad idea to extend their Mexico service, unlikely enough from Brussels in 1973, on to Guatemala. So, a Sabena 707 on Athens to Brussels, on a flight coming through from Asia or Africa, followed by a 707 again, routing Brussels-Montreal-Mexico-Guatemala. Might even be the same aircraft operating right through.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I can't think of any reason why I would cross over the border to go into Juarez these days. (https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html) Back in the 70s and 80s Juarez was generally safer as the drug cartels had not risen to the prominence they command today. I remember a very pleasant afternoon spent in Juarez in September 1975 while we awaited a bus to Mexico City and onward to Oaxaca. Later, in 1984, I crossed over in a taxi and the immigration officer just waved us on through. There was no official record of my having entered Mexico.
Funny, the same thing happened to me just a few years ago. 8 of us were crossing from Del Rio to Acuna on business, and the agent waved us all through. Being the honest folks we were, of course, we stopped at the office anyway to apply for work visas, as the nature of our visit would require them.

Naturally, we got the third degree coming back to the U.S. (Only about half of us were citizens; the rest were on work visas.)

​​​​​​​
23. (1999) You need to fly from Lima to Montego Bay. Only one airline offers online connections via two nonstop flights through a single connection point. Two different aircraft types are utilized however. Please identify the airline, the connection city and the two aircraft types. I was *quite* tempted to offer American via JFK (a 757 connecting to an A300), but imagined howls of incredulity ... so herewith Avianca, also starting out aboard a 757, and connecting in Bogota/BOG to a 727-200 While this sounds quite reasonable, alas, neither Avianca, its home base of Omaha, the 757-200 nor the 727-200 are relevant to the airline, route and aircraft(s) we're looking for in relation to this particular query. And you're right - I would never consider a routing via New York to be appropriate in this instance. I don't know that I would howl, but I might spill my bourbon (Tonight's choice - Elijah Craig Small Batch - going for just $29.something or other at the local Safeway. Please, guess again!
Copa through PTY comes to mind here. Since you mentioned two different aircraft types, I'm going to say a 737-700 from LIM and a 737-200 to MBJ, as I believe these were the only two types in the fleet at the time.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
16. (1973) It’s July 1973, and during your two trips through Hong Kong’s Kai Tak Airport this week you’ve spotted three aircraft types rarely seen back home in Korea. To wit, you’ve spotted a Lockheed Electra, two different Caravelles and a 737. Identify the airlines that in late 1973 you would have seen operating the Electra, the 737 and the two Caravelles.
16- spitballing here, having (figuratively) scratched my head for the past hour or so:
  • Electra (Garuda) ... I think Cathay had disposed of theirs by maybe 1970, and I sort of doubt either Qantas or TEAL would still be in turboprop mode for that long of a flight from Australia or New Zealand
  • Caravelles (Thai is one that we have recently mentioned; Far Eastern Air Transport, from Taiwan, rings a bell)
  • 737 (All Nippon) ... totally random guess
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jrl767
16- spitballing here, having (figuratively) scratched my head for the past hour or so:
  • Electra (Garuda) ... I think Cathay had disposed of theirs by maybe 1970, and I sort of doubt either Qantas or TEAL would still be in turboprop mode for that long of a flight from Australia or New Zealand
  • Caravelles (Thai is one that we have recently mentioned; Far Eastern Air Transport, from Taiwan, rings a bell)
  • 737 (All Nippon) ... totally random guess
May I help (or hurt)?

As far as the Caravelles, try Royal Air Cambodge.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
25. Let’s try AC flying a CRJ MCI-YYZ connecting to a 767-200 for YYZ-GLA.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
20. (1973) Who knew you could fly on the same airline all the way through from New York to Newcastle? Not you! But then, you also didn’t know upon purchasing the ticket that the itinerary - which involved two nonstop flights through a single connection point - would also involve transferring from one airport to another at the connection point. Sigh… Live and learn. Identify the airline, the correct routing including the two airports at the connection point and the two aircraft types utilized on this journey.

How about a British Caledonian 707 as far as PIK, and a 1.11 the rest of the way?

Now were cookin'! Here's the itinerary:

British Caledonian BR 236 New York (JFK) 700p-620a Prestwick (PIK) 707-320 Tu Fr Su
British Caledonian BR 845 Glasgow (GLA) 900a-940a Newcastle (NCL) BAC-111 X7
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
14. (1973) Back in1973, Singapore Airlines did not serve North America, United had yet to purchase Pan Am’s Pacific division and the concept of nonstop flights between North America and Singapore was but a distant mirage. As such, passengers traveling between Los Angeles and Singapore had a choice of just two direct flights - only one of which offered First Class. That’s the one you want. The flight makes three enroute stops and arrives at Singapore in the early evening - perfectly timed to meet your colleagues for a drink followed by dinner at the famous Raffles Hotel. Identify the airline you’ll be flying, the three enroute stops and the aircraft type. A cyber pat on the back and a baloney sandwich to whoever can identify the other airline and its five stop routing.

Frankly, I am stumped but determined to get a plane ticket! Let's try long shot UTA French Airlines

UTA, DC-10, LAX - PPT - NOU - JKT (Jakarta/Kemayoran) - SIN (Singapore International/Paya Lebar)

Perseverance suits you well, Mr. T! UTA with a DC-10-30 is correct Now all we have to do is clean up the itinerary a bit. That said, Jakarta was not part of the itinerary. Replace that with what I imagine at this point will be a tap in and you're good to go.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
4. (1973) After having spent the past month studying artifacts from a new dig at an early Neolithic site at Achilleion in Thessaly, Greece, your expertise has been called upon to examine a new find in the jungles of Guatemala. Your excitement at this new assignment is tempered only by the perceived difficulty in getting from Athens to Guatemala City. Though you expected the journey to involve at least two or three airlines, you are flabbergasted to discover that there is just one single airline that is able to get you all the way from Athens to Guatemala City - via a fairly convenient single connection no less. The first flight to the connection airport will be nonstop. The second flight will include two enroute stops. The correct answer will require you to unearth the correct airline along with the correct itinerary including all enroute stops. Additionally, the antiquities office would also like you to dig up the single aircraft type employed.

I reckon that's Sabena [Such A Beastly Experience, Never Again], who around that time had a mad idea to extend their Mexico service, unlikely enough from Brussels in 1973, on to Guatemala. So, a Sabena 707 on Athens to Brussels, on a flight coming through from Asia or Africa, followed by a 707 again, routing Brussels-Montreal-Mexico-Guatemala. Might even be the same aircraft operating right through.

You are on a roll here, Mr. M! Good on ya! Here's the itinerary, which includes an overnight stop at MEX:

Sabena SN 212 Athens (ATH) 1105a-110p Brussels (BRU) 707-320 Sa only
Sabena SN 505 Brussels (BRU) 330p-615p Montreal (YUL) 710p-1035p Mexico City (MEX) 900a-1045a Guatemala City (GUA) 707-320 Tu Sa
SN 505 NIGHT STOP MEX
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
23. (1999) You need to fly from Lima to Montego Bay. Only one airline offers online connections via two nonstop flights through a single connection point. Two different aircraft types are utilized however. Please identify the airline, the connection city and the two aircraft types.

Copa through PTY comes to mind here. Since you mentioned two different aircraft types, I'm going to say a 737-700 from LIM and a 737-200 to MBJ, as I believe these were the only two types in the fleet at the time.

Good call, strick! COPA through PTY is correct!. However, according to the OAG I used to reference this question, one of the aircraft you mentioned above was used in addition to another type - which wasn't a 737. We're nearing tap-in time...
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.