Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Herb687

#3. Thinking this was Pan Am.
I also vote PA for #3, but I had already reached my two question limit yesterday.

ETA: I have a runner up guess in mind (admittedly not many choices here), based on a series of TV commercials that prominently featured A300s in the late 80s.

Last edited by moondog; Jan 12, 2023 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

1. (1982) The Green Mountains of Vermont just got a lot whiter after a big winter storm dumped a foot of snow on their slopes. From your home in Boston, there’s just not enough time to drive out there and back with enough time to get in some decent skiing by the time the office reopens on Monday. Thankfully, there is an airline that offers two almost daily nonstops out of Logan. You’ll fly out Friday night and back on Monday morning. Identify the airline and the equipment utilized.

8. (1985) Ah… the life of a traveling salesman. Tomorrow night you’ll be flying from Charlotte (CLT) to Jacksonville (JAX). You’ll spend the entire next day there trying to convince two of the local hospitals to purchase your equipment. Then the next day you’ll fly on to Nashville (BNA) and do it all over again. The same airline will operate both flights. The equipment will also be the same. Please provide the name of the airline and the equipment used.
1. Well, although Burlington is not mentioned in this quiz question, it appears that BTV is the airport we are flying into in Vermont. And I was also going to guess Delta on this one as I believe they did operate mainline jet equipment between Boston and Burlington at one point with this route perhaps being inherited from Northeast. But we now know it wasn't DL although the equipment is a 737-200. Thus a wild guess: Air Florida with their service either originating way down south or continuing on south via BOS.

8. This sure sounds like Ozark with DC-9-30 equipment.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
22. (1985) Remember the Good Old Days of the 1970s when milk-runs – some of them seven or more stops were commonly flown throughout the United States. Who can forget that Northwest flight that made, like, ten stops between Miami and Portland! Or National 493 that made nine stops between New York and Houston. These days there are a few three or four stop routings, but the hub and spoke route maps favored by the industry have mostly eliminated the mega-milkruns. Still, there is onerline that operates a six-stop flight between Los Angeles and Tampa. Can you identify it, the six stops and the aircraft type?

Are you saying that the airline in question didn't operate 727s at all? Yes
Assuming the former, that really narrows down the list of options.

I will guess Muse Air with a D95 routing LAX-LAS-LBB-AUS-HOU-MSY-MCO-TPA

Yo Da Man, Herb!! Muse Air and its DC-9-50 are correct!, and your routing is ever so close (Only LBB is off), close enough that I'm going to submit the itinerary and let you fill in the blank should you so choose.

Muse Air MC 576 Los Angeles (LAX) 1230a-125a Las Vegas (LAS) 150a-540a S XXXXXXXXX (XXX) 600a-650a Austin (AUS) 705a-750a Houston (HOU) 810a-905a New Orleans (MSY) 920a-1145a Orlando (MCO) 1200n-1230p Tampa (TPA) DC-9-50 X7

3. (1982) Eastern Airlines introduced the A300B to scheduled flights within the United States. Over the years, many other U.S. airlines also operated the A300. After Eastern, what was the second US airline to do so?

Thinking this was Pan Am

According to the article I referenced for this question, the airline in question took possession of its first A300 in early 1984 whereas Pan Am didn't accept its first until the end of the year.

Here's a hint: The airline we're looking for leased its first two (of four) A300s from another airline
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7. (1982) Only one airline offers scheduled flights via three daily nonstops with mainline jet equipment between Washington National (DCA) AND Washington Dulles (IAD). Any thoughts on which airline this is and the type of equipment it employs on all three flights?
7- we know it wasn't American or United, and we know that the aircraft of record was a 72S ... how about Western, continuing to Salt Lake City/SLC
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
3. (1982) Eastern Airlines introduced the A300B to scheduled flights within the United States. Over the years, many other U.S. airlines also operated the A300. After Eastern, what was the second US airline to do so?

I also vote PA for #3, but I had already reached my two question limit yesterday.

I appreciate it, moondog . That two question limit allows me that much more time to be engaged in proper activities like quaffing cold ones at the poolside bar instead of spending that much extra time here in my room answering questions

I have a runner up guess in mind (admittedly not many choices here), based on a series of TV commercials that prominently featured A300s in the late 80s.

Note the above post - dateline was early 1984 on the A300s in question
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

3. Continental must have been the second a300 operator based on the clues given (e.g. 1984 was around the time Frank Lorenzo ran into problems so EA leasing out planes makes sense). My runner up guess was going to be AA btw, but I don't they got in the Airbus game until around 87 or 88.
​​​
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
1. (1982) The Green Mountains of Vermont just got a lot whiter after a big winter storm dumped a foot of snow on their slopes. From your home in Boston, there’s just not enough time to drive out there and back with enough time to get in some decent skiing by the time the office reopens on Monday. Thankfully, there is an airline that offers two almost daily nonstops out of Logan. You’ll fly out Friday night and back on Monday morning. Identify the airline and the equipment utilized.

Well, although Burlington is not mentioned in this quiz question, it appears that BTV is the airport we are flying into in Vermont. And I was also going to guess Delta on this one as I believe they did operate mainline jet equipment between Boston and Burlington at one point with this route perhaps being inherited from Northeast. But we now know it wasn't DL although the equipment is a 737-200. Thus a wild guess: Air Florida with their service either originating way down south or continuing on south via BOS.

Dang, JL! Dey ain't much gits past you! As Vermont goes, there aren't too many jet capable airports, or at least airports served commercially with jets in 1982, so I figured BTV would go without saying. I'm wondering if Keene or Montpelier were ever served by Northeast DC-9s back in the day? Anyway, Air Florida is correct!. Here are the flights our skier would have employed -

Air Florida QH 124 Boston (BOS) 730p-824p Burlington (BTV) 737-200 Daily
Air Florida QH 109 Burlington (BTV) 700a-745a Boston (BOS) 737-200 Daily

8. (1985) Ah… the life of a traveling salesman. Tomorrow night you’ll be flying from Charlotte (CLT) to Jacksonville (JAX). You’ll spend the entire next day there trying to convince two of the local hospitals to purchase your equipment. Then the next day you’ll fly on to Nashville (BNA) and do it all over again. The same airline will operate both flights. The equipment will also be the same. Please provide the name of the airline and the equipment used.

This sure sounds like Ozark with DC-9-30 equipment

correct! again! Here's the schedule -

Ozark OZ 719 Charlotte (CLT) 950p-1053p Jacksonville (JAX) DC-9-30 X6
Ozark OZ 656 Jacksonville (JAX) 100p-123p S Nashville (BNA) DC-9-30 Daily
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
2. (1985) On Friday you are flying from Pasco, WA to Orange County, CA over a most distinctive routing. It involves four nonstop flights aboard four different airlines, each operating three jet models under 105 in length. Two of the jets are foreign built, and two of the airlines are operating the same type of jet. Knowing which airlines flew small jets of the day into Pasco and Orange County is a start, and as for points in between, again, we're dealing with airlines that flew these smallest jets and by extension where they flew them. Can you piece together the route with the correct airlines and aircraft types for each flight?
2- out of PSC, the first connecting point would almost certainly be Seattle/SEA; the flight would be either Horizon with a Fokker F.28 or Cascade with a BAC One-Eleven, and the other would have been an option to continue to Portland/PDX

this points to the 737-200 as the common jet on the remaining legs into SNA, and I can imagine the respective operators being United and Air Cal with the connection in northern California ... United only served San Francisco/SFO and Sacramento/SMF from PDX, and I believe OC mainly ran MD-80s at SFO

in summary:
  • PSC-SEA QX F28
  • SEA-PDX CZ B11
  • PDX-SMF UA 737
  • SMF-SNA OC 737
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
7. (1982) Only one airline offers scheduled flights via three daily nonstops with mainline jet equipment between Washington National (DCA) AND Washington Dulles (IAD). Any thoughts on which airline this is and the type of equipment it employs on all three flights?

We know it wasn't American or United, and we know that the aircraft of record was a 72S ... how about Western, continuing to Salt Lake City/SLC

You know, I seem to recall seeing WA on this routing at one time or another. I don't recall ever seeing sellable scheduled flights between DCA and IAD with WA though. In any event, per the schedules I referenced for this question, the 72S operator we're looking for operated not one but three daily flights on the schedule within the pages of my OAG
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog

Continental must have been the second A300 operator based on the clues given (e.g. 1984 was around the time Frank Lorenzo ran into problems so EA leasing out planes makes sense). My runner up guess was going to be AA btw, but I don't they got in the Airbus game until around 87 or 88.

Eastern and its A300s weren't acquired by Lorenzo and Texas Air until February of 1986, so the search continues... Again, the airline we're looking for operated a total of four A300s
​​​
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
2. (1985) On Friday you are flying from Pasco, WA to Orange County, CA over a most distinctive routing. It involves four nonstop flights aboard four different airlines, each operating three jet models under 105 in length. Two of the jets are foreign built, and two of the airlines are operating the same type of jet. Knowing which airlines flew small jets of the day into Pasco and Orange County is a start, and as for points in between, again, we're dealing with airlines that flew these smallest jets and by extension where they flew them. Can you piece together the route with the correct airlines and aircraft types for each flight?

Out of PSC, the first connecting point would almost certainly be Seattle/SEA; the flight would be either Horizon with a Fokker F.28 or Cascade with a BAC One-Eleven, and the other would have been an option to continue to Portland/PDX. This points to the 737-200 as the common jet on the remaining legs into SNA, and I can imagine the respective operators being United and Air Cal with the connection in northern California ... United only served San Francisco/SFO and Sacramento/SMF from PDX, and I believe OC mainly ran MD-80s at SFO

in summary:
  • PSC-SEA QX F28
  • SEA-PDX CZ B11
  • PDX-SMF UA 737
  • SMF-SNA OC 737
And we're off! Unfortunately, only CZ, its BAC-111 and PDX are on. None of the other cities or airlines or aircraft are involved in the answer here. That's not to say for example that OC didn't operate 737s between SMF and SNA, but per the parameters of this question, it didn't work either due to inbound flights to SMF and the equipment they were operated with or the schedule. But that's great because now we have more focus. For example, per the parameters of this question, if 737s are out, then all Boeing equipment is out. And of course it's helpful to know that SEA and SMF are not in the equation.

Please carry on.

As for me, I'm off to breakfast!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:42 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I'm wondering if Keene or Montpelier were ever served by Northeast DC-9s back in the day?
Keene was although it may have been Delta by then. To be clear, Keene is in New Hampshire, although close to the Vermont line.

I don't think that Barre-Montpelier ever had passenger jet service.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Keene was although it may have been Delta by then. To be clear, Keene is in New Hampshire, although close to the Vermont line.

Thanks for the clarification. kochleffel!
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

10. (1985) There’s a man up in Buffalo, Wyoming who’s put an ad out in your monthly 4H publication indicating that he’s got an eight year old International Harvester tractor for sale. The price is right but even so it’s worth your time and money to fly up there and check it out before committing. The closest airport to Buffalo is in Sheridan, Wyoming and your spread is just outside of Lubbock, Texas. This oughta be interesting… But surprise, surprise! Turns out there’s one airline that can fly you all the way through via two one-stop flights with just a single conveniently timed connection. Two different aircraft types will be employed. Identify the airline, the complete routing and the two aircraft types.
3. Yet another wild guess: Northeastern International. And I think their first two A300s were leased from Lufthansa.

10. I believe 1985 was the year Aspen Airways began operating the BAe 146-100 in addition to their trusty Convair 580 turboprops. I also recall that Aspen was serving a couple of destinations in the Texas panhandle from its Denver hub back then to include Amarillo as well as Lubbock. So let's go with Aspen operating a BAe 146 LBB - AMA - DEN on the first flight. And as for the connecting service, let's board an Aspen Convair 580 in Denver and make a stop in Gillette on the way to Sheridan.

BONUS quiz question: What major U.S. airline mistakenly landed in Buffalo, Wyoming and what was the aircraft type? Hint: it was a jet. ANSWERED - Western Airlines B737-247

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2023 at 9:53 am Reason: answer update
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel

Delta indeed operated mainline jet service into little ol' Keene following its acquisition and merger with Northeast back in 1972.

In 1973, Delta was operating two daily DC-9-30 flights into Keene. DL 569 operated a routing of Manchester (MHT) - Keene (EEN) - New York LaGuardia (LGA) - Philadelphia (PHL) - Miami (MIA) while DL 458 operated a routing of Dallas Love Field (DAL) - Shreveport (SHV) - Jackson (JAN) - Birmingham (BHM) - New York LaGuardia (LGA) - Keene (EEN) - Manchester (MHT) - Boston (BOS). At this same time, Delta was also serving Keene with Fairchild FH-227 turboprops inherited from Northeast on such routings as LGA - EEN - LEB - LGA, LGA - EEN - LEB - JFK and JFK - LEB - EEN - LGA.
Seat 2A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.