Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jrl22

was your "prop" flight a PC F-27?
try again..only thing correct was two props....think the 60's
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:53 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
14. This airline operated the only daily nonstop flight between Chicago, IL and Anchorage, AK. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Northwest with a 707-320 (heading eventually to Tokyo; the Anchorage stop was primarily for refueling)

15. Your vacation in Nantucket, MA is interrupted by an urgent call requesting your presence at a board meeting in Boston. Taking the ferry back to your car and then driving the rest of the way will not get you to Boston quickly enough. You’ll need to fly. This airline operates a one-stop flight to Boston aboard a modern jetliner. Identify the airline, the equipment used and the intermediate stop.

Now this question takes me back to summers on Martha's Vineyard as a kid; IIRC, 1968 was the first year we went. We drove out each year, so no memories of flights on the Yellowbirds, but I do remember seeing them at the airport and flying in over Oak Bluffs on the approach to 24.

Northeast, the equipment is a DC-9 (either a -10 or -30, probably a -10) and the stop is in either Hyannis or Martha's Vineyard. I'll go with Hyannis.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Thor3
try again..only thing correct was two props....think the 60's
well your use of "prop" (in quotes) misled me ... I know Pacific operated the venerable Martin 404; I'm not sure if they had any Convair birds (240/340/440) in their fleet

of course if your return trip wasn't on PC all bets are off ...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Today that aircraft would not pass noise abatement advocates!
it certainly wouldn't meet EPA smoke emission standards either!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:43 pm

well your use of "prop" (in quotes) misled me ... I know Pacific operated the venerable Martin 404; I'm not sure if they had any Convair birds (240/340/440) in their fleet

of course if your return trip wasn't on PC all bets are off ...
Were we betting?

Return was on a S-61 of San Francisco and Oakland Helicopter Airlines, founded in 1961 and disappeared in the 1970s. FYI: they had special fares on Saturday. If you remember helos were at NYC,LGA,JFK, and Los Angeles Airways flew out of LAX. I took a LAA S-61 from LAX to Disneyland [actually to a helipad across the street from the then Disneyland Hotel]

Interesting flying machines!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:44 pm

it certainly wouldn't meet EPA smoke emission standards either!
But in the daytime you could follow the smoke to find the plane making it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The NW 707-320 flight ORD-ANC-NRT the flight has 2 previous stops, and what was the flight number. Hint, I used to watch this flight all the time.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I was on a Pacific Air Lines 727-100 routed SFO-SJC-LAS. Flew it on a Saturday and flew back on a "prop" flight 2 hours later.
Pacific Air Lines apparently had a difficult time making money with their new B727-100 jets back in the day. Besides the route you reference, a look at various Pacific timetables from that period of time reveals they tried operating the 727 on a number of different routes including SFO-MRY-SBA-LAX, ACV-SFO-FAT-LAX, SFO-MRY-LAX, RNO-FAT-LAX, LAS-BUR, LAS-FAT, RNO-SJC and BFL-LAX. These routes kept changing and at one point Pacific leased a couple of their new 727s to National in an apparent move to get some revenue in the door. It also appears that Pacific introduced the first ever jet service provided by any airline into such California destinations as Arcata/Eureka, Bakersfield, Fresno, Monterey and Santa Barbara with the 727.

I believe the plan at Pacific was to replace the 727s with new, more economical B737-200s. However, as mentioned above, events then overtook the carrier in the form of a merger with Bonanza and West Coast to form Air West and the 737 never made it into Pacific's fleet.

Air West did operate Pacific's 727s for a time with a route example being SFO-SBA. However, the trijets were then disposed of, apparently in favor of DC-9-30s.

BTW, I'm not quite sure one can refer to a helicopter as a "prop" as they actually have "rotors", of course, powered by a turboshaft engine or in the case of twins, turboshaft engines. I work for a very large Part 135 helicopter operator that flies over 500 rotorcraft worldwide and we never call them "props"! Then again, I realize you did not wish to give the answer away so easily!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Were we betting?

Return was on a S-61 of San Francisco and Oakland Helicopter Airlines, founded in 1961 and disappeared in the 1970s. FYI: they had special fares on Saturday. If you remember helos were at NYC,LGA,JFK, and Los Angeles Airways flew out of LAX. I took a LAA S-61 from LAX to Disneyland [actually to a helipad across the street from the then Disneyland Hotel]

Interesting flying machines!
Scheduled helicopter airline service returned to the greater L.A. area in the early 1980s. Airspur Helicopters Inc. operated these flights with British-manufactured Westland 30 twin engine helicopters. I flew on an Airspur W30 from SNA to LAX and we landed on a heliport at LAX that was located on the roof of a vehicle parking structure inside the air terminal road system. Airspur was also operating W30 flights BUR-LAX and FUL-LAX at this time.

And back in 1971, I took my very first helicopter ride on board an SFO Helicopter Sikorsky S-61 across the bay from OAK to SFO.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 17, 2013 at 7:41 am Reason: Additional route info
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The NW 707-320 flight ORD-ANC-NRT the flight has 2 previous stops, and what was the flight number. Hint, I used to watch this flight all the time.
Northwest 3 -- DIA-CLE-ORD-ANC-TYO-SEL
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. Ah, the memories… It was November 1999 on a beautiful autumn afternoon in Davenport, Iowa and you were sitting on the porch listening to the radio when it was announced that you could win a valuable prize by correctly identifying the only artist ever to win the Federal Duck Stamp competition five times. Inspired by a recent viewing of the movie Fargo, you immediately called in with the answer: Iowa’s very own Maynard Reese! Yesss!!!! Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding! Tell him what he’s won, Johnny: A free round trip ticket to New. York. City! You and a companion will fly roundtrip coach aboard the only nonstop daily flight from the only airport serving the Quad-Cities to New York’s LaGuardia Airport! Identify the airport as well as the airline and equipment used on this route. And what the heck - if you feel up to it, name the four cities that comprise the "Quad Cities".
Ah, sounds like yet another child of deregulation, although this new start up was a bit late to the game.....and they did not survive.

AccessAir with nonstop B737-200 service between Quad City Airport (MLI) and LGA.

And MLI serves the cities of Moline, Rock Island, Davenport and Bettendorf, all on the mighty Mississippi River.....
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon

AccessAir with nonstop B737-200 service between Quad City Airport (MLI) and LGA.

And MLI serves the cities of Moline, Rock Island, Davenport and Bettendorf, all on the mighty Mississippi River.....
Now the only way to travel MLI-LGA is either through ATL/DTW/ORD.

Yet there was a Twinkies factory in Bettendorf, across the Mississippi from Moline. I wonder if it reopened?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know Pacific operated the venerable Martin 404; I'm not sure if they had any Convair birds (240/340/440) in their fleet....
To the best of my knowledge, there were no Convairs of any description in Pacific's fleet although earlier they did operate the Douglas DC-3 and I think the Martin 2-0-2 as well in addition to Martin 4-0-4 recips, Fairchild F-27 turboprops and the aforementioned 727s.

I do not believe the 4-0-4s were carried forward into the Air West fleet (and they may have been retired before the merger although I'm unsure of this).....but the F-27s definitely were as Bonanza and West Coast also operated F-27s. In addition, Bonanza and West Coast both flew DC-9-10s as well.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by us2
14. This airline operated the only daily nonstop flight between Chicago, IL and Anchorage, AK. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Northwest with a 707-320 (heading eventually to Tokyo; the Anchorage stop was primarily for refueling)
In the mid-70's (1974-1975) NW operated the 747 on this route.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
To the best of my knowledge, there were no Convairs of any description in Pacific's fleet although earlier they did operate the Douglas DC-3 and I think the Martin 2-0-2 as well in addition to Martin 4-0-4 recips, Fairchild F-27 turboprops and the aforementioned 727s.

I do not believe the 4-0-4s were carried forward into the Air West fleet (and they may have been retired before the merger although I'm unsure of this).....but the F-27s definitely were as Bonanza and West Coast also operated F-27s. In addition, Bonanza and West Coast both flew DC-9-10s as well.
I'm almost positive the Martins were long gone by the time of the consolidation (which I believe was circa 1970) ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.