Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by cs57
23) How about (1993) MIA/LGW with British Airways (using 747 daily)
jlemon said (in post 3071) it was a U.S.-based carrier ... perhaps AA with the MD-11 (or 767-300)?

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by us2
In that case, I'll have to go again with Continental, but with a DC-9-30.
Once again, very close.....but still no cigar! Please guess again!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
on the supposition that "very close ... but no cigar" means one of the two factors was right, I'll say Eastern with a DC9-10 (mainly because TWA had already swallowed Ozark, and I don't recall TW operating that variant into DCA after the mid-70s)
No, it was not Eastern.....please guess again!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jlemon said (in post 3071) it was a U.S.-based carrier ... perhaps AA with the MD-11 (or 767-300)?
No, it was not American......although AA was flying MIA-LHR nonstop at this time.

So we are still looking for a U.S. based carrier that was operating nonstop between MIA and LGW.....
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
23) How about (1993) MIA/LGW with British Airways (using 747 daily)
No, it was not British Airways.....although BA was flying MIA-LHR nonstop at this time with a 747.

So here's what we know thus far with regard to answering this quiz item.....

There were actually four air carriers competing between Miami and London at this time.

AA and BA were both flying nonstop on the MIA-LHR route.

Virgin Atlantic was flying nonstop four days a week on the MIA-LGW route.

And a U.S. based air carrier was operating a daily nonstop on the MIA-LGW route.....
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
And a U.S. based air carrier was operating a daily nonstop on the MIA-LGW route.....
Delta L-1011.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)

12) In the summer of 1982, this air carrier was operating nonstop jet service from Washington D.C. (DCA) to Little Rock (LIT) six days a week. Name the airline and the equipment flown on the route....
Originally Posted by us2
In that case, I'll have to go again with Continental, but with a DC-9-30.
Once again, very close.....but still no cigar! Please guess again!
CO 727-224
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CO 727-224
No, the aircraft type was not a 72S.....please guess again!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Delta L-1011.
23) You got it, Wally! And specifically a three-class (F/C/Y) L1011-500. Here's the scheds.....

DL 98: MCO-MIA-LGW
Op: Daily
Equip: L15

DL 99: LGW-MIA-MCO
Op: Daily
Equip: L15

BTW, I had the opportunity to fly business class on the L15 a number of times with Delta and it was always a great experience......

Also BTW, for those of you who were wondering, American was flying twice daily nonstop service MIA-LHR with B767-300 equipment at this time.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
12) In the summer of 1982, this air carrier was operating nonstop jet service from Washington D.C. (DCA) to Little Rock (LIT) six days a week. Name the airline and the equipment flown on the route

That hint about CO's DC-9-10 being close had me immediately thinking about another airline that was very close to CO at that time and also flew some odd routes out of the Washington/Baltimore area like MSY-BWI. In fact, my first flight on this airline was into LIT. This airline would be...

Texas International
If I'm correct and the DC-9-10 was truly very close, let's stick with that for aircraft type.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: BA
No, it was not British Airways.....although BA was flying MIA-LHR nonstop at this time with a 747.

1993 ? I seem to remember Delta having a crack at this, It didn't last for long. British Airways also, around this time, were doing one Miami flight from Heathrow and one from Gatwick, with 777s; this however may have been a couple of years later.

And if you want a quick quiz question, I'm currently sat at a gate - oh, WiFi at last - with a BA A321 in front of me. Out on the field there are a number of what look like BAe146-100s, except that they only seem to have two engines. But round the corner there are a whole line of real classics, parked in the weeds and alas no longer airworthy. Any guesses where I might be ? And (just to keep us on topic) what those classic jets are ?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12) In the summer of 1982, this air carrier was operating nonstop jet service from Washington D.C. (DCA) to Little Rock (LIT) six days a week. Name the airline and the equipment flown on the route

That hint about CO's DC-9-10 being close had me immediately thinking about another airline that was very close to CO at that time and also flew some odd routes out of the Washington/Baltimore area like MSY-BWI. In fact, my first flight on this airline was into LIT. This airline would be...

Texas International
If I'm correct and the DC-9-10 was truly very close, let's stick with that for aircraft type.
12) Texas International (TI) is correct! And as for the equipment, it was definitely a DC-9 although it may have been a series -30 rather than a series -10 (the timetable does not specify the exact type).

Here's the sched.....

TI 635: DCA-LIT-IAH-SAT
Op: Ex. Sat.
Equip: DC-9

Here's why I stated that answers concerning Continental were "very close":

In July of 1982, Continental and Texas International published a joint system timetable. Flights operated by Texas International were clearly delineated with the TI two letter code. So although Texas International was in the process of being merged into Continental, the merger was not yet complete at this time and CO and TI were being run as two separate operations. Thus, Texas International was still definitely operating as a separate entity but not for long.....

And BTW, my first flight ever into LIT was on board a Trans-Texas Airways (TTa, which became Texas International) DC-9-10 from DAL back around 1968. I then connected to a TTa Convair 600 turboprop for a flight that night to MEM via Jonesboro, AR (JBR).....although the weather was so bad at JBR (thunderstorms with very turbulent conditions - it was truly a rock n' roll ride on that old Convair) that we executed a missed approach and then continued on to Memphis without stopping at Jonesboro.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 11, 2013 at 8:46 am Reason: Additional info
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
... Out on the field there are a number of what look like BAe146-100s, except that they only seem to have two engines. But round the corner there are a whole line of real classics, parked in the weeds and alas no longer airworthy. Any guesses where I might be ? And (just to keep us on topic) what those classic jets are ?
high wing, T tail, two underwing engines ... while the FairchildDornier 328JET comes to mind, it scarcely qualifies as "classic"; I think something in the Tupolev line is more likely but I don't have access to any research resources at the moment
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you want a quick quiz question, I'm currently sat at a gate - oh, WiFi at last - with a BA A321 in front of me. Out on the field there are a number of what look like BAe146-100s, except that they only seem to have two engines. But round the corner there are a whole line of real classics, parked in the weeds and alas no longer airworthy. Any guesses where I might be ? And (just to keep us on topic) what those classic jets are ?
Welcome back from vacation, WHBM!

Hmmmmm.....sure sounds like you were somewhere in old Mother Russia....but exactly where?

It also sounds like we are talking about two different types of Russian aircraft here....

As for the reference to the BAe 146, I'll go with the Antonov An-72 or An-74.....

And as for the classics, perhaps they are Tupolev Tu-134 twin jets.....

BTW, I have only seen a Tupolev 134 once in my life. I saw the aircraft some years ago at the Brussels Airport (BRU) and it was being operated by CSA. And I knew this eastern bloc airline was "OK" because it said so right on the tail of this Tupolev......
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Out on the field there are a number of what look like BAe146-100s, except that they only seem to have two engines. But round the corner there are a whole line of real classics, parked in the weeds and alas no longer airworthy. Any guesses where I might be ? And (just to keep us on topic) what those classic jets are ?
Welcome home, WHBM - I hope you and your family had a nice vacation. The twin-engine aircraft you mentioned above sounds a lot like an Antonov AN-148. As to where you might be - St. Petersburg, possibly? It's certainly a great place to visit in Russia and there's a nice collection of old TU-154s stored there... I don't know if they're considered "classic", but then the -154 did have its first flight almost 45 years ago...

TU-154s rusting quietly in a field off St. Petersburg LED

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.