Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well now, you all have certainly made short shrift of my most recent set of questions. Now there are just three questions left. Go for it!

5. In 1980, this airline operated a short lived service between Ft. Lauderdale and Las Vegas, continuing on to Los Angeles. Which airline was this and what type of aircraft was used on the route?
Before I head off to church I'll try this one -- National with a DC-10, FLL-IAH-LAS-LAX.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
it's apparently NOT China Airlines (CI) because I believe I also guessed that ... the only other Asian airline that gives me any kind of good vibes is Singapore (SQ)

might the European carrier have been Lufthansa (LH)?
Well, it was not Singapore (SQ)......however, Lufthansa operating a B747-200 is correct!

This leaves just one air carrier left.....and as previously noted, this airline was based in Asia.

So here's another hint: the equipment operated by this carrier from SFO to LAX as part of a transpacific route was more modern than a B747-200.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll try Qantas (QF) -- I found an old OAG with a once weekly service that went to both LAX and SFO.
miniliq, you are, of course, correct with QF!

However, we are looking for an airline based in Asia!

So please guess again, sir!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq

5. In 1980, this airline operated a short lived service between Ft. Lauderdale and Las Vegas, continuing on to Los Angeles. Which airline was this and what type of aircraft was used on the route?

Before I head off to church I'll try this one -- National with a DC-10, FLL-IAH-LAS-LAX.

Ahh, a flight I would love to have taken back in the day, but no - in this case it was a nonstop flight between Fort Lauderdale and Las Vegas. Hmm...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat 2A: 7. In May of 1988, two airlines offered nonstop service between Tucson and Los Angeles. On weekdays, one of them offered five MD-80 nonstops while the other countered with three 737-200s. Which airlines were these?

Good Sunday Morning All!

Well, deep tropical moisture is very much evidence over the nearby Gulf of Mexico this morning.....and that means Thunderstorms with a capital T! The various weather radars are definitely lighting up across our region......

So we are expecting a stormy and wet day here in south Looziana.....but, fortunately, it does not appear at this time that this weather system will develop into anything of an organized tropical nature......although August & September, which are the most active months for hurricanes in the Gulf, still loom large on the near horizon here.

And now back to official quiz business!

7) I think the two air carriers were Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) with MD-80s and Delta with B737-200s.

The PSA LAX-TUS service was assumed by USAir following the acquisition of PS by US. By the end of 1989, USAir was flying three different equipment types between LAX and TUS: MD-80s and BAe 146s formerly operated by PSA as well as B737-300s.

And the Delta LAX-TUS flights reflected service previously flown by Western before DL acquired WA.

By the fall of 1991, the USAir LAX-TUS service was gone. Delta was still flying the route with four daily round trip services, two flights with 72S aircraft and two with 73S aircraft from LAX to TUS, and three flights with 72S aircraft and one with 73S aircraft from TUS to LAX. Another airline had replaced US on the route and was competing with DL with three flights a day. So here's a bonus quiz item: identify this competing airline and the equipment it was operating between LAX and TUS.

BTW, I remember trying to fly standby from LAX to DFW on Delta in the late 80s on an airline employee pass. However, the nonstop L10 flight I was trying for was full. But no problem: a short time later, I departed from LAX for DFW in first class on board a DL 73S via an intermediate stop in TUS.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm Reason: Additional US LAX-TUS sched info & a bonus quiz item
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, it was not Singapore (SQ)......however, Lufthansa operating a B747-200 is correct!

This leaves just one air carrier left.....and as previously noted, this airline was based in Asia.

So here's another hint: the equipment operated by this carrier from SFO to LAX as part of a transpacific route was more modern than a B747-200.
I can't think of any Asian operators of the 747-300, and I scarcely consider the 747SP as "more modern" than the -200 ...

so a 747-400 it is ... could be Malaysian (MH) ...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... By the fall of 1991 ... had replaced US on the route and was competing with DL with three flights a day. [B]So here's a bonus quiz item: identify this competing airline and the equipment it was operating between LAX and TUS.
AA MD-80 seems plausible
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

7. In May of 1988, two airlines offered nonstop service between Tucson and Los Angeles. On weekdays, one of them offered five MD-80 nonstops while the other countered with three 737-200s. Which airlines were these?

7) I think the two air carriers were Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) with MD-80s and Delta with B737-200s.

Close enough! PSA's last day of operation under the PSA banner was on April 8th, 1988. After that all of its flights were branded US Air. And of course Delta was the other operator with three daily 737-200s.

As for that other airline operating the route in 1991, I remember Alaska Airlines flying that route. I don't know what aircraft they were using, but the MD80 would seem a likely choice.

Well, it was not Singapore (SQ)...... This leaves just one air carrier left.....and as previously noted, this airline was based in Asia.
So here's another hint: the equipment operated by this carrier from SFO to LAX as part of a transpacific route was more modern than a B747-200

Let's go with CAAC operating a 747SP

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't think of any Asian operators of the 747-300, and I scarcely consider the 747SP as "more modern" than the -200 ...

so a 747-400 it is ... could be Malaysian (MH) ...
The aircraft is a B747-400.....and it's actually a special version of the 744.

However, the airline we are looking for here is not Malaysian....so please guess again!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA MD-80 seems plausible
It was not American.....so please guess again!

But wait! I see that Seat 2A has responded.....
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for that other airline operating the (LAX-TUS) route in 1991, I remember Alaska Airlines flying that route. I don't know what aircraft they were using, but the MD80 would seem a likely choice.

Let's go with CAAC operating a 747SP
Alaska Airlines with MD-80 service between LAX and TUS is correct! And just about all of these AS flights flew an actual routing of SEA-LAX-TUS and return.

Well, we are looking for a B747-400 operator here....and a special version of the 744 at that.....so please guess again!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska Airlines with MD-80 service between LAX and TUS is correct! And just about all of these AS flights flew an actual routing of SEA-LAX-TUS and return.

Well, we are looking for a B747-400 operator here....and a special version of the 744 at that.....so please guess again!
so that leads me to think 747-400 Combi

which leads me to think EVA
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so that leads me to think 747-400 Combi

which leads me to think EVA
Yes, the aircraft was a B747-400 Combi....and this airline is still around.

However, it was not EVA Air......so please guess again!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, through trial and error one of us is bound to hit the mark eventually!

I'll chip in with Korean Air Lines - 747-400
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, through trial and error one of us is bound to hit the mark eventually!

I'll chip in with Korean Air Lines - 747-400
Ah, but it was not Korean Air Lines.....so please guess again, sir!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.