Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
... 1962:

...20. All of the service operated between Canada and Latin America by Canadian Pacific was flown with DC-8 equipment with the exception of one round trip flight. Identify this route as well as the different aircraft type operated by CP on the service. ...
this was doubtless a Britannia, most likely to Mexico City ... if I had to guess, I'd say it originated in Vancouver but could also have been Toronto
Old May 3, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
VC-10 and TU-134

Civil Air Transport of Taiwan ... they operated DC-6s and Convair 880s

UA ran a Convair 340 SLC-SFO via Ely, Elko, Reno, Sacramento, and Oakland
1. Well, the Vickers VC-10 is correct.....

2. Correct with regard to the airline and the equipment! CAT operated the DC-6B and may have been the first operator of the Convair 880 in that particular region of Asia. It is also reported that CAT was owned and controlled by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency at one point......

7. Indeed, it was a Convair 340 Mainliner operated by United with a routing of SLC-ELY-EKO-RNO-SMF-OAK-SFO. This service would later be flown with a DC-6 followed by a B737-200 by UA.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reason: Forgot good old SMF.....
Old May 3, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I reckon it's the VC-10 and the Trident. The Tu-134 I believe made its first flight the next year, 1963.
1. Correct!
Old May 3, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Many thanks to jlemon for submitting such a fine selection of questions to entertain us this weekend. Yours truly is presently being entertained from aboard Amtrak's Downeaster operating between Portland, Maine and Boston. I'll be attending the A's - Red Sox game at Fenway this afternoon, then jetting off to San Diego later this evening. No lawn work for me this weekend although I will utilize an eight hour layover in Seattle to do laundry and ride the ferry out to Bremerton and back.

As to the questions, let me guess...

8. Aeronaves de Mexico was serving three destinations in the U.S. in 1962. One aircraft type was used to serve two of the U.S. destinations while a second aircraft type was used to serve the third U.S. city. Name all three U.S. destinations and include which aircraft type was used to serve each U.S. city.

I'm reasonably confident the cities were New York, Tucson and San Antonio. As to the aircraft, let's go with the DC-8 for New York. I know AM had Britannias until later in the 60s but those would seem a bit large for the TUS and SAT runs, so I'll go with the DC-6 for those cities.

10. United was also operating several "Men Only" flights at this time. Two of these flights departed Chicago at 5:00pm local each weekday to different destinations. Name both destinations and the equipment used on each flight. In addition, UA had very specific and different descriptive names to identify each of these flights. What were the names used to describe these flights?

I know United used to serve Newark with men only flights that were known as "Executive Flights", as in The New York Executive and the Chicago Executive. I didn't know there was another men only destination out of Chicago, but Washington, DC would seem a likely choice. If so, I suppose that flight would've been the Washington Executive. The executive flights started with DC-6s in the 50s but by 1962 I'd imagine they were operated with the Caravelle.
8. Correct with regard to New York, San Antonio and Tucson.....although Aeronaves de Mexico had yet to enter the jet age at this particular time. The DC-6 was operated into SAT and TUS while the Bristol Britannia was flown nonstop between Mexico City and New York.

10. Chicago to Newark with the Caravelle is correct! The flight from ORD to EWR was named "The Chicago EXECUTIVE - Newark Section". However, the other United "Men Only" flight did not operate to Washington, D.C., so please guess again!
Old May 3, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
this was doubtless a Britannia, most likely to Mexico City ... if I had to guess, I'd say it originated in Vancouver but could also have been Toronto
20. The Bristol Britannia is correct! Routing was Toronto (YYZ) - Windsor (YQG) - Mexico City (MEX). The service was flown once a week with a southbound flight on Saturdays and a northbound flight on Sundays. CP would later operate this flight with a DC-8. This was also one of the very few times that Windsor, Ontario had international service.....
Old May 3, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: All of them!
15) 1962--Braniff aircraft between HOU and DAL
Boeing 707
Convair 440
DC-6 and DC-6B
DC-7
Electra II
Thanks for taking the time to post these questions!
Old May 3, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in south Louisiana, here are the rest of my latest quiz items from the 1960's as I sip on a Cajun Bloody Mary and contemplate the impending yard work......

The following ten quiz items all have a time line of various months during the year 1962......

26. At this time, Ansett ANA was advertising their "Golden Jet Services". However, this was a bit of a misnomer and thus was not entirely correct. Explain why. ANSWERED

27. What did the acronym TEAL stand for, where was this airline based and what type of turboprop aircraft did this air carrier operate? ANSWERED

28. You are in Bombay and wish to travel to New York. You discover that a U.S. based airline has a departure every Thursday which makes five intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all five stops and the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

29. What type of equipment was Western Air Lines operating into Palm Springs in 1962? Also identify the three nonstop routes WA was flying from PSP at this time with this aircraft type. ANSWERED

30. What type of aircraft was Western Air Lines operating into Long Beach at this time? Also identify the two nonstop routes WA was flying from LGB with this equipment. ANSWERED

31. American Airlines was operating the Convair 990 to six U.S. cities with CV-990 operations being based at one airport. Identify all six airports served with the aircraft by AA as well as the airline's Convair 990 operational base at this time. ANSWERED

32. National Airlines was flying the Douglas DC-8 into seven U.S. cities. Name all seven destinations served by NA with the DC-8 at this time. ANSWERED

33. What was the name for National's first class service on board the DC-8 in 1962? ANSWERED

34. You are in Jacksonville, Florida and wish to travel to Atlanta. You discover that Southern Airways operates a "milk run" flight with four intermediate stops being made en route between JAX and ATL. Identify all four stops as well as the aircraft type you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

35. Now you are Nashville and wish to travel to Tulsa You ascertain that one airline operates daily nonstop service and better yet, first class is offered. What air carrier and aircraft type will you be flying on? ANSWERED

36. Besides the Tupolev Tu-134, two other new airliners began test flights in 1963. Identify both. ANSWERED

37. Also in 1963, only one airline was flying nonstop between San Diego and Mexico City. Identify this air carrier as well as the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

38. In 1965, Braniff International was operating jet service into three destinations in Iowa. The same aircraft type was flown into all three airports. Name all three cities as well as the equipment used on the service. ANSWERED

39. Also in 1965, this air carrier was operating daily round trip nonstop jet service on the short hop between Greater Southwest Airport (GSW) serving Fort Worth and Dallas Love Field (DAL). Name the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next five quiz items have a time line of various months during the year 1967.....

40. This airline was operating daily nonstop jet service from Greater Southwest Airport (GSW) which served Fort Worth to Tulsa. Identify the air carrier and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

41. This air carrier was flying daily nonstop jet service from Greater Southwest Airport (GSW) on the short hop to Dallas Love Field. However, the return service from DAL to GSW was operated with non jet equipment. Name the airline and the respective aircraft types it flew in each direction. ANSWERED

42. This airline was operating nonstop jet service every weekday on the short hop from Dallas Love Field to Greater Southwest Airport (GSW). However, the return flight from GSW to DAL was operated with non jet equipment. Identify the air carrier and the respective aircraft types it operated in each direction. ANSWERED

43. Two airlines were competing with jet service between Hong Kong and Jesselton on the island of Borneo at this time. One air carrier flew direct one stop service twice a week on the route with the same intermediate stop being made in each direction. The other airline operated nonstop once a week. Name both airlines, the respective aircraft types they flew on the route and the intermediate stop made by one of them. And for bonus points, identify the current name for Jesselton. ANSWERED

44. Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) was operating a short take off and landing (STOL) aircraft at this time on regional services. Identify this airplane. ANSWERED

45. It's 1968 and you are in New Orleans. You've just finished work on a project and are now enjoying a gourmet dinner with very good friends in the French Quarter. The wine? A 1958 Segla Margaux from Bordeaux. Yes, life is good....and it's about to get better as a message then arrives at your table. It's from your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara who has just arrived in Key West with his new catamaran! You ring him up and before you know it, he's talked you into joining him and his lady friends for a sail around the western tip of Cuba to the delightful little island of Cayman Brac. So you now need to travel to Key West. You quickly discover there is a direct, no change of plane flight departing MSY first thing in the morning to EYW and better yet, first class is offered! You also note this service is a classic "milk run" flight with no less than six intermediate stops being made en route. Name the airline and the aircraft type you'll be flying on as well as all six stops. ANSWERED

And now to the yard work!

Last edited by jlemon; May 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm Reason: Answer updates.....
Old May 3, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
15) 1962--Braniff aircraft between HOU and DAL
Boeing 707
Convair 440
DC-6 and DC-6B
DC-7
Electra II
Thanks for taking the time to post these questions!
15. Our man in Vermont is correct! Some of these flights operated by BN between DAL and HOU may also have been flown with a Boeing 720 or Convair 340.

And you're quite welcome!

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old May 3, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon

27. What did the acronym TEAL stand for, where was this airline based and what type of turboprop aircraft did this air carrier operate?

:
TEAL was the New Zealand airline, Tasman Empire Airways Ltd., and I think they flew Lockheed Electras.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA
Meanwhile, over in London, on a fine sunny holiday weekend, WHBM has the flu and has got up at 1 am local time to raid the refrigerator ...... and, it occurs to him as he types this, maybe the cocktail cabinet as well

26. At this time, Ansett ANA was advertising their "Golden Jet Services". However, this was a bit of a misnomer and thus was not entirely correct. Explain why.
This was the Lockheed Electra, which both Ansett and their competitor TAA introduced very sparingly, one aircraft each at a time, on Australian domestic services.

It wasn't the only type in their fleet they told fibs about - having described the Viscount as a "Jet Giant" it really is rather mild in comparison ! See here :

http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/ele...refinement.htm

>>> Quick supplementary if you like. Why does Ansett-ANA have such a name ? <<<

27. What did the acronym TEAL stand for, where was this airline based and what type of turboprop aircraft did this air carrier operate?
Tasman Empire Air Lines, the Kiwi (that's the UK and New Zealand pretty official nickname for New Zealand) overseas operator of the time. By 1962 it was wholly owned by the Kiwi government, but had started off being a 3-way UK-Australia-New Zealand government airline, although they only operated to Australia and to the South Pacific. TEAL had run the last long-distance flying boat service in the world, until 1960, "The Coral Route", up to Fiji and then across through Samoa to Tahiti, using (of course) UK-built big Short flying boats, with the round trip taking the best part of a week. However, by 1962 they had a new fleet of Lockheed Electras, which had just replaced the DC-6s which followed the flying boats, and the Coral Route was on the big Allison-powered turboprop. Bet it was still spectacular, though. See the bottom of the page here :

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...e62/te62-2.jpg

TEAL were headquartered in Auckland, although the current mainstream Auckland airport was not built by 1962 and they were operating from the Royal NZ Air Force base at Whenuapai, which was not suitable for most jets (although BOAC managed to get Comet 4s in there and stole a march on everyone else). Pan Am passengers on transpacific 707s were still having to change at Fiji in the middle of the night into a DC-7C specially kept for he last leg to Auckland. Everything changed in Kiwi aviation in 1965, Auckland airport opened with a full-length runway, TEAL and the domestic operator NZNAC (Viscounts and F-27s) were merged into Air New Zealand, and the first jets, DC8s, arrived. Well into the decades that followed, the flight designator for Air New Zealand international flights was still TE.

Finally, this question might have been getting answered from New Zealand itself. Way back when WHBM was a few years out of university, the UK Sales Director of the big multinational we worked for was sent off as Managing Director of the New Zealand operation. Six month later he was back in London on a trip, came and did a most upbeat presentation in the office about it, and took a group of us out for a most pleasant dinner at the Sheraton Skyline Heathrow, where he was staying. His key problem there was keeping staff. They got plenty of graduate trainees out of university each year, but after a while they almost all went off, some to Australia, some to the USA, and some to the UK (where they all rented apartments in Earls Court, drank in the same pubs, and fixed up long trips together across Europe in old VW Microbuses). They all came home eventually, but not to the same company. So would we like to come out to some senior positions ? There were tickets in his budget for a discovery trip out there if interested. And I was. Meanwhile he continued his trip to the corporate HQ in the USA, where he leaned he was being promoted further, to the HQ in Michigan there, and the Kiwi link rather fell through. But it had been a close thing.

Mrs WHBM always gets a bit sad-eyed when hearing of this account; however would she, from Russia, have subsequently managed to meet. And so I also have this little fable of a business trip back to the UK when Air New Zealand were running 747-400s through Hong Kong and on to London. A double engine failure over Russia (sorry to have impugned you, Rolls-Royce), a forced landing in St Petersburg, all having to be rebooked onwards, and us somehow ending up being seated together on the BA A320 on which she made that first business trip to London. That brightens the eyes a lot

Last edited by WHBM; May 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Track
TEAL was the New Zealand airline, Tasman Empire Airways Ltd., and I think they flew Lockheed Electras.
27. Correct! And the air carrier is currently known as Air New Zealand.......
Old May 4, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Meanwhile, over in London, on a fine sunny holiday weekend, WHBM has the flu and has got up at 1 am local time to raid the refrigerator ...... and, it occurs to him as he types this, maybe the cocktail cabinet as well

26. This was the Lockheed Electra, which both Ansett and their competitor TAA introduced very sparingly, one aircraft each at a time, on Australian domestic services.

It wasn't the only type in their fleet they told fibs about - having described the Viscount as a "Jet Giant" it really is rather mild in comparison !

>>> Quick supplementary if you like. Why does Ansett-ANA have such a name ? <<<

27. TEAL were headquartered in Auckland, although the current mainstream Auckland airport was not built by 1962 and they were operating from the Royal NZ Air Force base at Whenuapai, which was not suitable for most jets......Well into the decades that followed, the flight designator for Air New Zealand international flights was still TE.

A double engine failure over Russia (sorry to have impugned you, Rolls-Royce), a forced landing in St Petersburg, all having to be rebooked onwards, and us somehow ending up being seated together on the BA A320 on which she made that first business trip to London. That brightens the eyes a lot
Well, I can certainly commiserate with you, sir! First a cold, then the flu and now allergies.....I've been dealing with this situation for a bloody month now! And my sinuses are still not back to normal!

26. An Ansett-ANA timetable from 1962 lists several turboprop aircraft being operated by the carrier, all under the banner "Golden Jet Services". In addition to the Lockheed L-188 Electra II, the Fokker F27 Friendship is listed as well along with what appears to be two versions of the Vickers Viscount, being the "Super Viscount" and the "Viscount 832 De Luxe". There is even a reference to Viscount 832 "Golden Rocket" service four days a week nonstop between Brisbane and Melbourne.

Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) was guilty of the same thing with their Lockheed L-188 Electra aircraft. Please permit me to recreate this marketing message from a 1962 PSA timetable....

Still! The Lowest JET Fares! San Francisco - Los Angeles $13.50 (plus tax). PSA SUPER Electra JETS

And as for Ansett-ANA, I believe the ANA portion of the name referred to Australian National Airways which was acquired by Ansett during the late 1950's.....

27. Excellent commentary, as always! And a chance meeting, as it were, on board a British Airways Airbus!
Old May 4, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now, here are my BONUS quiz items on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon in south Louisiana. This will complete my most recent set with a total of 50 quiz items being submitted by yours truly.....

46. In 1962, United Air Lines was operating five different aircraft types nonstop between Seattle (SEA) and Portland (PDX). Name them all. ANSWERED

47. Also during the early 1960's, United introduced a version of the Douglas DC-8 which they called the "DC-8 Mark IV". What distinguished this model from earlier DC-8 aircraft operated by UA? ANSWERED

48. It's 1963 and you wish to fly from Anchorage to Red Devil, Alaska. You discover there is one direct flight a week operated with a turboprop. Identify the airline and the equipment you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

49. In 1965, these two air carriers were operating a daily interchange service between Atlanta and Denver. A total of eight intermediate stops were made en route in each direction between ATL and DEN. Name both airlines, the aircraft type operated on the route and all eight stops. Also identify the interchange airport where one carrier handed off the service to the other carrier. ANSWERED

And finally, a real blast from the past.....

50. In 1957, Canadian Pacific was serving only two airports in the U.S. One was Honolulu (HNL). Identify the other U.S. destination, describe the route and also name the aircraft type flown by CP on this service. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; May 23, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reason: Correction.....and answer updates.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA
44. Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) was operating a short take off and landing (STOL) aircraft at this time [1967] on regional services. Identify this airplane.
This is actually a type which I think we have not covered before, the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer (Twin Pin to its friends). They didn't sell too many, but it was quite popular in this part of Asia with the airlines, the local air forces, and the RAF when they still operated there. Think of it as a piston-engine Twin Otter and you're pretty much there, except it had a triple tail, like a little Connie. Scottish Aviation had a big repair and overhaul facility at Prestwick in Scotland, they didn't do many new aircraft designs but they did this one. Nowadays the buildings are part of Ryanair's main maintenance base, which is there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottis...n_Twin_Pioneer

It was the last type built in the UK, and one of the last in the world, with Radial engines, Alvis Leonides, built in Coventry. There's one left flying in the UK, immaculately kept and which turns up on the airshow circuit in the summer, where it always shows how extremely STOL it was, does overflights in the display at about 40 knots on full flap and high rpm (impressive when into a 35-knot headwind), and afterwards does 10 minute rides. I've never taken one yet, but must do, to get a rare type before they're all gone.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL, AA
50. In 1957, Canadian Pacific was serving only two airports in the U.S. One was Honolulu (HNL). Identify the other U.S. destination, describe the route and also name the aircraft type flown by CP on this service.

Fairbanks, DC-3. Whitehorse to Fairbanks with stops at Mayo and Dawson City on the 3rd Thursday of the month.

Last edited by Icecat; May 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.