Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

17. In the late 1990s, this airline operated the only nonstop service between Chicago’s Midway Airport and Myrtle Beach, North Carolina with a single daily flight. Please identify the airline and the aircraft used.
17. I believe this service was operated by a new start up airline: Air South (WV). Actual routing may have been MDW-MYR-ATL flown round trip on a daily basis with a B737-200.

And here are couple of bonus quiz items.....

In the mid 1990's, Air South (WV) was cooperating with another new start up airline that also operated jet equipment with connections offered between the two air carriers via an airport located in the southern U.S. Name this airline and the airport in question. ANSWERED

In the late summer of 1994, only one airline was serving Myrtle Beach with mainline jet equipment. However, not just one aircraft type was used: this air carrier was actually operating five (5) different jet types into MYR at the time. And besides U.S. domestic service, two of the inbound flights actually originated at international locations. Identify the airline, all five jet types and the two international destinations that had direct, no change of plane service into Myrtle Beach. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 12, 2014 at 10:58 am Reason: Answer update.....
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... 13. It’s spring of 1994 and the days of multiple nonstops between New York JFK and Nassau with BOAC, Northeast and Pan Am are long gone. Now you need to fly nonstop from Nassau up to New York’s JFK and only one airline offers a single daily nonstop. Please identify the airline and the aircraft operated on this route.
perhaps Delta? if so, 727-200 or MD-88 would be the likely equipment (with a longshot possibility of an L-1011)
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
perhaps Delta? if so, 727-200 or MD-88 would be the likely equipment (with a longshot possibility of an L-1011)
13. Hmmmmm....I'm pretty sure Delta was flying a daily nonstop between Nassau and New York at this time with a B727-200....but I also think this DL service was operated into LaGuardia and thus not to JFK. I believe this may have been an former Northeast route that Delta continued to serve following its acquisition of NE.

As for Pan Am, I think they were back in the JFK-NAS market with daily nonstop 72S service by the late 1990's.....but not in 1994.

In other words, I don't have a bloody clue with regard to the airline in question and I'm looking forward to the answer to this one!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Track
Only a few years after TWA's introduction of the dual-class 1049G its cachet was surpassed by that of jets. In February, 1964, a friend, who had never before been on an airplane, and I decided to fly from JFK to Hartford/Springfield and back. TWA's deal was that an economy-class ticket got one an economy-class seat on a 707 or a first-class seat on a 1049G. So we jetted to BDL and flew back in comfort, albeit without the canapes and cocktails. The surprising thing was the 707 on such a short flight shortly after introduction of jets.
Now that's a trip I'd like to have taken myself. Unfortunately, my weekly allowance at that time wouldn't have afforded me a trip out to New York!

As to the New York to Hartford route, I suspect Hartford was an "add-on" city, a common practice that continued on through the seventies until we began to see more of the hub and spoke system. Your flight up to Hartford may have flown in to New York from the west coast or Europe, dropped a few passengers, then continued on the short flight up to Hartford. Some other examples of this would be LAX to SAN, SEA to PDX, PHX to TUS and even HNL to OGG/KOA.

By the eighties, my weekly allowance had been replaced by a bi-weekly paycheck, enabling me to fly upon a lot of new airlines or equipment types while taking advantage of the low fares between such geographically close airports. Some examples of this would be:

LAX-SAN National DC-10 $7.00 1974 (flight originated in Miami)
SAN-LAX Delta DC-8-61 $7.00 1974 (Flight continued on to Dallas)
LAX-SAN Delta L-1011 (part of a joint fare) 1977 (Flight originated from Atlanta)
SAN-LAX American DC-10 (part of a joint fare) 1977 (Flight continued on to Chicago)
SAN-LAX Eastern 757 $28.00 1983 (Flight continued on to Atlanta)

SEA-PDX Northwest 747 $23.00 1976 (Flight continued on to Honolulu)
PDX-SEA Eastern L-1011 (part of a joint fare) 1977 (Flight continued on to St. Louis)
PDX-SEA Hawaiian Air L-1011 $37.00 1988 (Flight continued on to Honolulu)

PHX-TUS American 707-320 (part of a joint fare) 1979 (Flight originated in New York)
PHX-TUS America West 757-200 $33.00 1988 (Flight originated in New York)

HNL-KOA United DC-10 $41.00 1992 (Flight originated on the west coast)

Those were great days with very affordable fares given the short distance between city pairs. I was able to fly upon some targeted aircraft for a very reasonable price. These days the prices on routes such as SEA-PDX or SAN-LAX are prohibitively high, not to mention that there're no longer any airplanes flying these routes that I'd go out of my way to fly.

Finally, check out the great aircraft flying the PDX-SEA route back in 1970. Many of these flights just stopped at PDX to pick-up/drop off passengers before continuing on. As for the fares on this route, many of them got even lower after 1978.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Icecat
[B]

18. Fast forward seven years and now another airline is serving the Chicago to Myrtle Beach market with nonstop jet flights four days a week out of the nearby Gary, Indiana airport. Please identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Hooters Air operated by Pace as a public charter using 737-200/300 aircraft on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday.

Correct! Hooters was a nice little operation with 34" pitch seating throughout and affordably priced tickets. I assume the flight attendants were easy on the eye as well. Unfortunately, Hooters Air ceased all operations in 2006 after just three years of operation. .
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

17. In the late 1990s, this airline operated the only nonstop service between Chicago’s Midway Airport and Myrtle Beach, North Carolina with a single daily flight. Please identify the airline and the aircraft used.

I believe this service was operated by a new start up airline: Air South (WV). Actual routing may have been MDW-MYR-ATL flown round trip on a daily basis with a B737-200.

That's raht! Air South is another airline I picked up a cheap flight on when back in 1996 I bought me a $19.00 ticket between Tampa and Miami. My 737-200 was almost 19 years old, having begun its career with Gulf Air.

In the mid 1990's, Air South (WV) was cooperating with another new start up airline that also operated jet equipment with connections offered between the two air carriers via an airport located in the southern U.S. Name this airline and the airport in question.

I believe this was done through Air South's home in Columbia, South Carolina...

In the late summer of 1994, only one airline was serving Myrtle Beach with mainline jet equipment. However, not just one aircraft type was used: this air carrier was actually operating five (5) different jet types into MYR at the time. And besides U.S. domestic service, two of the inbound flights actually originated at international locations. Identify the airline, all five jet types and the two international destinations that had direct, no change of plane service into Myrtle Beach.

So I'm thinking the only airline with five different types of mainline jet equipment that would serve MYR (an old Piedmont city) would have to be US Air, flying in from hubs like CLT or PIT. As to the jet types flown, I figure the 737-300 and -400 would be gimmes. Maybe a DC-9-30. They didn't have Airbuses yet and a 757 would've been too large. Okay then, I'd throw in a 737-200 and an MD-80 and hope for the best. As for the international through service, I don't think US Air served all that many European destinations in 1994, but if I had to pick two, I'd say Frankfurt and London.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 6, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. It’s spring of 1994 and the days of multiple nonstops between New York JFK and Nassau with BOAC, Northeast and Pan Am are long gone. Now you need to fly nonstop from Nassau up to New York’s JFK and only one airline offers a single daily nonstop. Please identify the airline and the aircraft operated on this route.

Per jrl767: Perhaps Delta? If so, 727-200 or MD-88 would be the likely equipment (with a longshot possibility of an L-1011)

Per jlemon: Hmmmmm....I'm pretty sure Delta was flying a daily nonstop between Nassau and New York at this time with a B727-200....but I also think this DL service was operated into LaGuardia and thus not to JFK. I believe this may have been an former Northeast route that Delta continued to serve following its acquisition of NE.

As for Pan Am, I think they were back in the JFK-NAS market with daily nonstop 72S service by the late 1990's.....but not in 1994.

In other words, I don't have a bloody clue with regard to the airline in question and I'm looking forward to the answer to this one!

Delta offered a single daily nonstop into LaGuardia. The airline I'm looking for operated one x23 nonstop into Newark and the only daily nonstop to JFK.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA
13. It’s spring of 1994 and the days of multiple nonstops between New York JFK and Nassau with BOAC, Northeast and Pan Am are long gone. Now you need to fly nonstop from Nassau up to New York’s JFK
Carnival ?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here are couple of bonus quiz items.....

In the mid 1990's, Air South (WV) was cooperating with another new start up airline that also operated jet equipment with connections offered between the two air carriers via an airport located in the southern U.S. Name this airline and the airport in question.

In the late summer of 1994, only one airline was serving Myrtle Beach with mainline jet equipment. However, not just one aircraft type was used: this air carrier was actually operating five (5) different jet types into MYR at the time. And besides U.S. domestic service, two of the inbound flights actually originated at international locations. Identify the airline, all five jet types and the two international destinations that had direct, no change of plane service into Myrtle Beach
Responding to Seat 2A above....

Although Air South was based in Columbia, South Carolina, the connecting airport was located in another city. And we are still looking for the identity of the other airline that Air South was cooperating with in the mid 1990's! So here's a hint: this air carrier also operated Boeing equipment.

USAir is correct! The five jet types operated into Myrtle Beach by US at this time were:

1) Boeing 727-200
2) Boeing 737-300
3) Boeing 737-400
4) Fokker F100
5) McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30

Hey, three out of five ain't bad, Senor!

Which brings us to the two international destinations that had direct, no change of plane service into Myrtle Beach at this time.....and yes, USAir was serving western Europe....but they were doing so with Boeing 767-200ER equipment inherited from Piedmont following the acquisition of PI by US. Of course, the 762 is not included in the above aircraft list, so this international service was operated by one or more of the jet types listed above....which means these airports were located in the western hemisphere but not in the U.S.....so please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Carnival ?
Ah, WHBM, I guessed Carnival (KW) above....but I was incorrect.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:42 pm

Too much in a rush over here .......

Laker ?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. It’s spring of 1994 and the days of multiple nonstops between New York JFK and Nassau with BOAC, Northeast and Pan Am are long gone. Now you need to fly nonstop from Nassau up to New York’s JFK and only one airline offers a single daily nonstop. Please identify the airline and the aircraft operated on this route.

13. Hmmmmm.....this just may have been Carnival Air Lines (KW) with a B727-200.
I am so embarrassed! When I put these questions together, I read that KW and just got it in my head that the airline was Kiwi International. You are 100% correct, as of three days ago, no less! Carnival is the airline. Apologies also are due to WHBM as his first answer - albeit more recently submitted - was also correct.

I am suspending myself from submitting any more questions for at least a month!

As to the airline that was cooperating with Air South, I'm pretty sure it was Kiwi International. As to the airport - Atlanta?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... I am suspending myself from submitting any more questions for at least a month! ...
well ... I have been doing some research into historical airline/airliner trivia, and have come up with a "travelogue" that supports a handful of questions along the lines of those that Seat2A (and jlemon as well) routinely pose ... it needs a bit more fine-tuning, but with luck I may be able to post it before embarking on my DCA-???-SEA-PDX trip on Wed ...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am so embarrassed! When I put these questions together, I read that KW and just got it in my head that the airline was Kiwi International. You are 100% correct, as of three days ago, no less! Carnival is the airline. Apologies also are due to WHBM as his first answer - albeit more recently submitted - was also correct.

I am suspending myself from submitting any more questions for at least a month!

As to the airline that was cooperating with Air South, I'm pretty sure it was Kiwi International. As to the airport - Atlanta?
No problem, Seat 2A! I've made my share of mistakes here on the OTA&AQ concerning a number of quiz items I've submitted over the past several years and as we say here in south Louisiana, "you gonna get dat, cher"! Especially if one is an old timer!

And as to the air carrier that was cooperating with Air South back in the mid 90's, it was indeed KIWI International Air Lines (KP) with connections between the two air carriers being offered via Atlanta. KIWI operated B727-200 equipment. An Air South system timetable in 1995 listed these connections via ATL and also included the KIWI routes on their route map.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:52 am

(aircraft American disposed of only a few years after introducing them)

As far as models AA actually bought, the Convair 990, the BAC 1-11-400, and the Fokker F-100 come to mind right away
I would add to the list of models bought the MD-11.
Yes, sticking with aircraft that AA actually ordered for themselves (because they seem to dispose of just about everything they acquire with mergers fairly promptly) I reckon a list would include :

The DC7. First of their "quick throwaway" types. They bought 25 of them in 1953-54, and then junked most of them starting in early 1959, as soon as their first 707s arrived. Some didn't last 5 years, and many of them never got used again, after being parked for a few years they were broken up. They were the shortest lived of anyone's DC7 fleets. The handful of AA DC7Bs lasted a bit longer.

Convair 990, delivered 1962-63, started to be sold off in 1966 and all gone before the end of 1968.

BAC One-Eleven, came in 1965-66, first sold off early 1969, last went at the end of 1971.

Boeing 747, came in 1970-71; some of them were sold off quite quickly from the end of 1973 onwards, although others put in longer service.

Then there was a good run of Boeings and DC-10s, which put in a full stint until around 1990, when it all started to happen again.

BAe Jetstream 31, big fleet built up for commuter operations in a couple of years up to 1992, then in 1996-7 they all got parked.

MD-11, the biggest expense, delivered in 1991-93, they started to sell them off in 1996, by the turn of the century they were gone.

Fokker 100, these actually lasted a bit longer, delivered in 1991-94, they were all withdrawn and sold in 2003-4, in the post-2001 slump.

Regarding the secondhand aircraft, the 747SPs they got from TWA were used on a few oddball runs, I recall one held down the LHR-Boston run in the early days of AA taking over from TWA when just about any AA widebody would turn up in London. They lasted for just a year or two on that. I somehow quite often noticed it's distinctive stubby shape leaving Heathrow in the morning, across London when Heathrow operations were on easterlies.

Last edited by WHBM; Apr 8, 2014 at 10:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.